Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah. I want to see cinnamon laser cannons every week.

*this is a cooking anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Yoda judge continues to be the best judge.

Ending song isn't as good as spice but the imagery is wonderful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was a really good first episode to the new season, and i agree with whoever said it looks better than in the first season but maybe that's just because Soma vs Alice was a more interesting match than most of the earlier ones. Though i'm a little disappointed it just brushed over a few things, like Ryoko helping out more with Soma's dish, or even the Kindergarten excursion if only because of Isshiki running off with all the single mums.

Next episode is covering what is probably my favourite set of chapters in the series though, so I am really psyched for it. This season of the anime is going to be good.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I really appreciate how this season goes all out right away and doesn't ease you back in at all like some would. :allears:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Hmm, so they solved the problem by not solving the problem really. I do agree with Souma's assessment that Central's little antics are really underestimating them because it's hilariously weak harassment.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
This arc is so boring, Central is just so disgustingly incompetent I can't even believe the author is still trying to play them up as a threat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like Alice being the main character

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
"My job is to fail you no matter what but instead I will just not fail you."

Checks out.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I agree with this arc being way too loving long though

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

Angry Grimace posted:

"My job is to fail you no matter what but instead I will just not fail you."

Checks out.

Reminds me of Helck

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ironsoviet posted:

Reminds me of Helck

This referee ain't no Anne from Management.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I do believe in Alice though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Logicblade posted:

I do believe in Alice though.

Hell, same.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Logicblade posted:

This arc is so boring, Central is just so disgustingly incompetent I can't even believe the author is still trying to play them up as a threat.

I mean, they're cleaning out most of the clubs, it's just that we haven't seen the vast majority of them so we don't really care. As we saw in the latest chapter with students just following recipes with no idea why they're doing X at Y time and whatnot, Central's cooking method is outright horrible for cooking in general. Closing down every restaurant is a hilariously impossible evil goal too.

There are certainly flaws, but I like having an outright antagonist instead of only tourneys and student rivalries that are resolved within 5 chapters, so I'm fine with seeing it play out. It'll be interesting to see where things go after the good guys kick Central out, and how things to after Soma inevitably makes it into the Elite 10.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Center's not incompetent.

They just respect good cooking enough where if they are able to overcome all of the obstacles put in their way and put out a great dish then they deserve to pass.

Also it's real boring if they are just like nope you fail bye. Because like the series is over if that happens. Better story is always forcing respect desipte someone conspiring against you.

Also Souma and Alice need to stay teamed up they are perfect.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Honestly I'm more insulted that the examiner thought that with 5 good to great chefs it would take longer than 30 minutes to cook a goddamn piece of Salmon, and make a quick glaze/sauce.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

They just respect good cooking enough where if they are able to overcome all of the obstacles put in their way and put out a great dish then they deserve to pass.

Also it's real boring if they are just like nope you fail bye. Because like the series is over if that happens. Better story is always forcing respect desipte someone conspiring against you.

No, a better story is one where this kind of scenario never appears in the first place.

This is a fun comic but it is not, by any measure of the imagination, a good story. It's got every stupid cliche and hackneyed contrivance in the book and plays them all without a smidgen of irony or awareness, that's practically part of the appeal.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

No, a better story is one where this kind of scenario never appears in the first place.

This is a fun comic but it is not, by any measure of the imagination, a good story. It's got every stupid cliche and hackneyed contrivance in the book and plays them all without a smidgen of irony or awareness, that's practically part of the appeal.

It's a loving Shonen Manga, it's not going to have some deep and intricate. All it needs to be is consistent. And this is consistent with how the school operates. They may not like Souma and his antics and they make it hard for him, but if he succeeds they aren't just going to be unsporting and fail him even though he succeeded.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is marginally less silly than yakitate japan

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I don't like the whole Central plot only because it feels incredibly unnecessary. The school itself was already filling the role of the antagonist, along with the Elite 10.

It would be perfectly fine as Yu Yu Hakusho w/ food, ie tournament after tournament. This series doesn't need a big villain.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Begemot posted:

It would be perfectly fine as Yu Yu Hakusho w/ food, ie tournament after tournament. This series doesn't need a big villain.

Don't kid yourself, even in the middle of the only tournament of this manga, people were complaining. That's the way online forums are.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ChronoReverse posted:

Don't kid yourself, even in the middle of the only tournament of this manga, people were complaining. That's the way online forums are.

Oh, I know that other people would hate it, I'm just saying I wouldn't mind :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Serious Frolicking posted:

it is marginally less silly than yakitate japan

....I'm sorry, did you, or did you not behold the reactions of one Kuroyanagi Ryou? This is a man who died and came back to life after eating bread. DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU ABOUT THE GAMERA REACTION. THE SERIES HAD SOMEONE *GO BACK IN TIME AND CHANGE HISTORY AS A REACTION*.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....I'm sorry, did you, or did you not behold the reactions of one Kuroyanagi Ryou? This is a man who died and came back to life after eating bread. DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU ABOUT THE GAMERA REACTION. THE SERIES HAD SOMEONE *GO BACK IN TIME AND CHANGE HISTORY AS A REACTION*.

When I saw the name of the new chapter, I was worried the salmon was going to change history too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

i stand by my statement. this is a very silly manga.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sure, it's silly. But in the words of one Ben "Macklemore" Haggerty, "There's layers to this poo poo, player: tiramasu, tiramasu."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the villain's master plan is to destroy all restaurants in japan, and he doesn't even have supernatural bread powers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Get back to me once it's revealed that Azami and/or his lieutenants are some kind of combined bread-human hybrid life form.

In which case, SnS would *still* be less weird than Toriko.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's not a contest SAD. Posting is not a shounen manga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

paragon1 posted:

It's not a contest SAD. Posting is not a shounen manga.

...yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dexo posted:

For the record, you typed "Center" instead of "Central" and it took me until the final sentence to realize I was in the Soma thread and not the Toriko thread.

I love all shonen cooking manga.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

For the record, you typed "Center" instead of "Central" and it took me until the final sentence to realize I was in the Soma thread and not the Toriko thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

Hmm, so they solved the problem by not solving the problem really. I do agree with Souma's assessment that Central's little antics are really underestimating them because it's hilariously weak harassment.

Considering the generic students are just doing things 'because we were told to' without understanding how or why it does what it does, it'd probably knock everyone without a unique design out like Yamcha fighting anyone in the Buu saga.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dexo posted:

They just believe in the Sorting Algorithm of Evil.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

God, Megumi vs Kurokiba is still so good!! :swoon:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

God, Megumi vs Kurokiba is still so good!! :swoon:

Having the Jojo reference be the capstone of the episode was perfect and 300% better animated. It could only be better if David animated that scene.

I also hope that Megumi and Ryou team up now since their black and white dynamic seems like it would make the most powerful seafood dish. Alternatively, her and Alice would also be powerful and amusing.

Edit: https://0x0.st/Akg.webm Just needs some Jojo music to maximize hype.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 10, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And this is why we say that Jojo is a genre all unto its own. God, that's so good. :swoon:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I am sorely disappointed they cut the adorable cooking battle between 8-year old (?) Ryou and Alice.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ShadowCatboy posted:

I am sorely disappointed they cut the adorable cooking battle between 8-year old (?) Ryou and Alice.

Maybe they'll save that for the finals? It'd be a sin to skip out on animating that adorable flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

I think that happens later. I don't think that's something they can cut though, because it explains why he's her assistant.

Edit: I'm a little upset they cut the little bit of build up before the matches started, because it had some nice moments in there.