Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Junpei posted:

Best next chapter title yet!

I should mention that the Book skill names are based on classic literature. 451 Degrees of Evil is referencing Fahrenheit 451, and Gone With The Cotton is based on Gone With The Wind.

There are a few of the puns that seem to have been lost in translation because the English names don't seem to obviously reference a book.

You can also see in the video how loving tanky Sicily is for a caster, since Flonne still got splatted even in the Yellow whereas she took Ronin hits and Gunner shots like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like how Laharl turns into a girl for no reason, nothing important even happens, and then he turns back abruptly offscreen.

Disgaea. :allears:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

There are a few of the puns that seem to have been lost in translation because the English names don't seem to obviously reference a book.
Let me tell you, trying to solve for the joke in a language you only half read is not trivial, but here's what I found out:

The third skill, 海馬がゆく Kaiba ga Yuku comes from 竜馬がゆく Ryouma ga Yuku "Ryoma Goes His Way", a historical novel that's apparently very well known in Japan, but doesn't even rate its own Wikipedia article in English.

The fourth skill comes from English like the first two, so I'll skip it.

The fifth skill, 魔界見聞録 Makai Genbunroku comes from the Japanese name of The Travels of Marco Polo, 東方見聞録 Touhou Genbunroku.

The sixth skill, 海神演技 Kaijin Engi is probably a reference to 海神別荘 Kaijin Bessou "The Sea God's Villa", which is a play rather than a novel.

The seventh skill, 猫党綺譚 Byoutou Kidan probably refers to 濹東綺譚 Bokutou Kidan. Apparently it's had several film adaptations, one of which is called "The Strange Tale of Oyuki" in English.

The eighth skill, 日本一書紀 Nippon Ichi Shoki is a very cute reference to the 日本書紀 Nihon Shoki, one of the oldest surviving records of Japanese history and mythology. This is the only one I recognised without looking into it.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how Laharl turns into a girl for no reason, nothing important even happens, and then he turns back abruptly offscreen.

Disgaea. :allears:

Even better is that he became an Idol without any training, successfully charmed everyone at the concert...and then just went back to being a "nobody" overlord immediately after. He apparently has some pretty insane talent when he actually tries at something. Or maybe it's a part of him being related to Mid Boss?

Also, I found something kind of hilarious from a Kabalarian Philosophy website:

-Your first name of Laharal has given you the vision and foresight to be able to organize others and to hold positions of responsibility with poise and self-confidence.

-This name creates an optimistic outlook on life and favourable conditions in your personal affairs.

-You have the ability to express your thoughts and ideas, and you are friendly, likeable, and generous.

-You enjoy fun, laughter and congenial association.

-This name also gives you an appreciation of art, music, drama, or any of the many forms of expression in the arts.

-Since you are quick and fluent in your expression, you have to guard against boastfulness or dominating a situation.

-You are likely a big eater, requiring heavy foods to satisfy your appetite.

-Overeating can affect the bloodstream, causing it to become overheated.

Spooky :v:.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Let me tell you, trying to solve for the joke in a language you only half read is not trivial, but here's what I found out:

The third skill, 海馬がゆく Kaiba ga Yuku comes from 竜馬がゆく Ryouma ga Yuku "Ryoma Goes His Way", a historical novel that's apparently very well known in Japan, but doesn't even rate its own Wikipedia article in English.

The fourth skill comes from English like the first two, so I'll skip it.

The fifth skill, 魔界見聞録 Makai Genbunroku comes from the Japanese name of The Travels of Marco Polo, 東方見聞録 Touhou Genbunroku.

The sixth skill, 海神演技 Kaijin Engi is probably a reference to 海神別荘 Kaijin Bessou "The Sea God's Villa", which is a play rather than a novel.

The seventh skill, 猫党綺譚 Byoutou Kidan probably refers to 濹東綺譚 Bokutou Kidan. Apparently it's had several film adaptations, one of which is called "The Strange Tale of Oyuki" in English.

The eighth skill, 日本一書紀 Nippon Ichi Shoki is a very cute reference to the 日本書紀 Nihon Shoki, one of the oldest surviving records of Japanese history and mythology. This is the only one I recognised without looking into it.

Thanks I figured the ones that didn't make obvious sense would be something like this.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Also, finally got around to actually playing Disgaea 5 at length. Metallica is a goddamn monster; well, obviously, but you know what I mean :v:. It's good! They really eliminated the worst of the grinding this time around.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, finally got around to actually playing Disgaea 5 at length. Metallica is a goddamn monster; well, obviously, but you know what I mean :v:. It's good! They really eliminated the worst of the grinding this time around.

She's basically the second best DLC character after Zetta, and even more broken really because you start the game with her. I mean she'd be loving amazing even without her Overload but then she can legit just end a map with that boom headshot. Also it does need to be said further in her favor that her Attack animation is a loving Sparta-kick.

Like it's really hard to straight rank some of the Overloads because there are a few that can turn a map on its head and totally turn a loss into a win, but Greedy Mekhashefa is definitely top five. Especially given that it really benefits from how easy Metallia is to level to begin with.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 2, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay I've finally caught up.

Someone said that Netherworlds are a reflection of their overlords? I noticed that the maps in chapter 1 were all rather cheerful and bright. Hmmm, I bet that the post-D1 change to Laharl has something to do with the flower outbreak. Laharl is definitely a kinder, gentler and even smarter Overlord than he was in D1. It isn't always easy to tell, but he's clearly much less of an rear end in a top hat, and he needs far less poking from Flonne and Sicily to be nicer than what was needed in D1.

I wonder if Lanzarote will be a story member of the party, or just a battle member like Hoggmeiser from D1. Probably the latter, she doesn't seem like that major a character. I wonder how much of her awesome stats she keeps.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay I've finally caught up.

Someone said that Netherworlds are a reflection of their overlords? I noticed that the maps in chapter 1 were all rather cheerful and bright. Hmmm, I bet that the post-D1 change to Laharl has something to do with the flower outbreak. Laharl is definitely a kinder, gentler and even smarter Overlord than he was in D1. It isn't always easy to tell, but he's clearly much less of an rear end in a top hat, and he needs far less poking from Flonne and Sicily to be nicer than what was needed in D1.

I wonder if Lanzarote will be a story member of the party, or just a battle member like Hoggmeiser from D1. Probably the latter, she doesn't seem like that major a character. I wonder how much of her awesome stats she keeps.

She mostly just has more health as a boss than she gets as a party member, she's still got way better base stats than a normal Archer and way more solid equip %s. I think she's actually in the plot every so often, though not a huge amount.

I'll have a post on her stats and such probably tomorrow along with the regular Archer (which unlocks automatically when she joins because she meets the requirements for it). She's actually crazy useful thanks to her Evility and some nearly unique spells she gets, and there's some potential sense in giving her a Staff and some magic to take better advantage of those spells.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Thanks I figured the ones that didn't make obvious sense would be something like this.
Correction: the Japanese wiki corroborates everything I said, except it thinks the sixth one is actually from the Chinese novel 封神演義 Fēngshén Yǎnyì / 封神演技 Houshin Engi, called "Investiture of the Gods" in English (very likely), and that the seventh is a reference to Puss in Boots (sure, but that doesn't explain the name).

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 2, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Mechanics question: I'm playing Disgaea 1 and am using the mentoring system in that game to teach my main party members new spells. But in D2 that's reversed, and now the apprentices can only learn from their teachers, so is there some way to get spells onto main party members in D2?

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Mechanics question: I'm playing Disgaea 1 and am using the mentoring system in that game to teach my main party members new spells. But in D2 that's reversed, and now the apprentices can only learn from their teachers, so is there some way to get spells onto main party members in D2?

Sure, you just reverse the master and apprentice. You can also do a chain of apprenticing, such that each person on the list is the master of the next person on the list, and create a closed loop of skill-sharing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah while Master/Apprentice relations are set on character creation they can be freely changed in this. The only restriction is that a character cannot be their Apprentice's Apprentice but as noted you can loop through three characters and they'll all effectively share spells/skills.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't remember if D2 got rid of tossing Geo Panels onto other panels, but it is good to see it as an option.
The damage of these specials are amazingly high. Over 700 from a hit from an enemy.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't remember if D2 got rid of tossing Geo Panels onto other panels, but it is good to see it as an option.
The damage of these specials are amazingly high. Over 700 from a hit from an enemy.

Part of that is that we're up against a lot of Ronin in this chapter and they're just super shitkickers who all have Evilities that increase their attack on top of having some of the highest base attack in the game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Top 5 Overloads (in my opinion)

5. Super Universe
4. Evangel of Purity
3. Comet Disaster
2. Tyrant Revelio
1. Murmur of Rage

I forgot what Greedy Maschwhatever did. Refresh my memory?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

Top 5 Overloads (in my opinion)

5. Super Universe
4. Evangel of Purity
3. Comet Disaster
2. Tyrant Revelio
1. Murmur of Rage

I forgot what Greedy Maschwhatever did. Refresh my memory?

Capture attempt on the whole enemy party. It's not as good as Murmur because it doesn't work on things you can't capture at all or on enemies with too much health relative to Metallia's stats but if you've been using Metallia it's just a straight up map ender.

A lot of my favorite Overloads are more clutch things like True Brionac Gaze and Broken Faith Magia because while they're not always useful when they ARE they can turn really bad positions into a victory.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 2, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like more "Kick 10 times more rear end" abilities, with the exception of EoP (The team is effectively immune to damage for a turn) and Miracle Regen.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

I like more "Kick 10 times more rear end" abilities, with the exception of EoP (The team is effectively immune to damage for a turn) and Miracle Regen.

Oh for sure you've got to have some of those as well, especially since they're attached to some great characters to begin with. And that's also why Murmur of Rage is the best, since it's both types at once.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

Oh for sure you've got to have some of those as well, especially since they're attached to some great characters to begin with. And that's also why Murmur of Rage is the best, since it's both types at once.

And the ranged support attacks mean that a TR'd Killia and a MoR Usalia makes a tag team of terror.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

And the ranged support attacks mean that a TR'd Killia and a MoR Usalia makes a tag team of terror.

Somehow they combined the best direct effect, best sustained effect, AND the best model in the game into one Overload and it's amazing. And attached to a character who's both 100% viable on their own as well as having a great Evility to give someone with Magichange.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feinne posted:

Somehow they combined the best direct effect, best sustained effect, AND the best model in the game into one Overload and it's amazing. And attached to a character who's both 100% viable on their own as well as having a great Evility to give someone with Magichange.

Don't forget Berserk Stream!
Seriously, even if Usalia can't directly get to any enemies, MoR both kills a good bunch of trash mobs on activation and allows Killia, RM and Zero to finish off things they couldn't with a Macrocosm, Super Damage Lord or Rising Gale Kick.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that you have to get offstage in a hurry to do your best on the map.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Let's talk about the Archer class, and Lanzarote as well.

Take a Bow!

We'll start on the Archer.

Weapon Skills: Archers have an A aptitude with Bows, followed by a massive dropoff to C for Spears and Guns, D for everything else but Axes, and E for Axes. Don't let them use anything but Bows, they're poo poo with them.

Stats: Archers are actually generally a bit better than they usually are. They've got low INT and SPD and moderately low DEF in exchange for okay RES and high HIT. They're otherwise very average, but compared to prior games average is actually pretty great (Archers are usually super fragile and poo poo).

Evilities: Archer Evilities are all actually pretty okay.

Acceleration Shot - Increase Attack Power by 5% per panel between unit and target. A very solid Evility, you don't want your Archer close by enemies anyway so you should always be getting good effect from this.

Sniping - Increase Attack Power and Magic Range by 2. The wording on this is a bit weird but suffice to say it increases your Range. Also a solid option, more range means more safety.

Fly Swatter - Increase Attack Power by 100% when attacking flying units. So this is a bit niche, but Flying units are actually pretty common. Still wouldn't go for it, though.

Now for Lanzarote, who in spite of looking like an Archer is actually much better than just a 'better Archer'.

Weapon Skills: Lanza has an S in Bows, a B in Spears, Guns, and Staves, a C in Swords, and a D in everything else. There's a good reason for this that we'll see down the line.

Stats: Lanza's got slightly below average HP and ATK, but makes up for it with above average SP and SPD, high RES, and very high HIT.

Evility: Lanza's Evility is Vocal Mind Control, which raises all friendlies stats by 4% and reduces all enemies' stats by 4%. It's a small effect but everything counts.

Spells: Lanza doesn't have any signature skills, but that's because she shares the unique buff set that Sea Angels get. She starts with Braveheart, Magic Boost, and three special buffs (Move!, Jump Jump Jump!, and Counter Classes), and as she levels she'll also pick up Target Lock, Speed Boost, Only Crits!, Throw!, and Magic Extender. This actually gives you an interesting option, because you could reasonably turn Lanza into a caster of sorts with a Staff to take advantage of the special buffs. For the main game, though, you probably just want to let her Bow. It's a shame this isn't Disgaea 5 because she'd be amazing with that game's weapon swap mechanics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Sniping - Increase Attack Power and Magic Range by 2. The wording on this is a bit weird but suffice to say it increases your Range. Also a solid option, more range means more safety.
That's a translation error. In Japanese it refers to exactly what you think it does: 通常攻撃と魔法の射程 "normal attack and magic range".

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

That's a translation error. In Japanese it refers to exactly what you think it does: 通常攻撃と魔法の射程 "normal attack and magic range".

Yeah I figured since that's what I remembered it actually doing in practice, but I usually use the first one so I wasn't totally sure.

So the Concert Stage actually becomes an okay map for leveling up (it's 5 enemies on HL+ squares near the base panel) after you've cleared it and I decided now was the time to stop loving around and get some better things. Chapter 5 will get to see the debut of some Gross poo poo like a Heavy Knight and Magic Knight and once I've got my bow Lady Fighter at 30 to unlock Beast Tamers she's going to get reincarnated as an Archer so I can start working on unlocking Ronin. I'll do Heavy and Magic Knights next in the character descriptions because both are pretty amazing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What is your top 5 Overloads?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Junpei posted:

One of them has to be the time I blew a diode in electronics class and everybody hit the deck. Something that small should not be able to make such a loud bang.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Feinne posted:

Archer stuff

So this LP got me to pick up Disgaea 5, and I've got to say - while these evilities seem decent, I'm liking the hell out of the 5 Archer evility - basically 'when someone on your side attacks someone in range of the archer, the archer will do a normal attack on them as well'. Maybe the archer isn't always doing a ton of damage, but she's usually boosting the combo meter by a few points which is good news all around, and she gains weapon mastery like crazy. Was a real pleasant surprise given how mediocre (at best) I'd found Archers in 1/2/3.

On the fence still about getting the DLC for the game, but I'll probably cave eventually.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ayndin posted:

So this LP got me to pick up Disgaea 5, and I've got to say - while these evilities seem decent, I'm liking the hell out of the 5 Archer evility - basically 'when someone on your side attacks someone in range of the archer, the archer will do a normal attack on them as well'. Maybe the archer isn't always doing a ton of damage, but she's usually boosting the combo meter by a few points which is good news all around, and she gains weapon mastery like crazy. Was a real pleasant surprise given how mediocre (at best) I'd found Archers in 1/2/3.

On the fence still about getting the DLC for the game, but I'll probably cave eventually.

Well remember that support attacks are just a 'thing' in this game that everyone has, and Archers are in fact still pretty much 'best at' them in this game since they can cover the largest area with the shadow of their regular attack range. They then decided support attacks were kind of OP and in 5 they're only on a couple of things.

Junpei posted:

Something like:

1. Murmur of Rage
2. Greedy Mekhashefa
3. Tyrant Revelio
4. Extreme Mardock
5. Broken Faith Magia

The first two can literally end a map as soon as you hit them, the third kind of just demands inclusion. Mardock probably isn't actually as good as say Comet Disaster at sweeping a map but it feels so loving good to run around bludgeoning the poo poo out of things while it's happening. I waffled back and forth between giving the fifth to True Brionac Gaze or Broken Faith Magia because both are a thing you can keep in reserve to turn around a map that's going poorly but the Magia's effect is a bit broader and is attached to a more broadly useful character.

Comet Disaster is of course an honorable mention.

Recorded earlier, and I might have an update later today. If I don't I'll talk about Magic and Heavy Knights, including A Brief History of the Magic Knight.

You'll also get to see our new Archer (formerly the bow Lady Fighter) in action in 5, doing lots of good work.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 3, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Seventeen: The Celestial Suspicion

As stated at the end of last chapter, everyone’s back to normal.

Video- Chapter 5 Intro

Watch

I’m really good at cooking, you know. I assume there’s a lot of things you don’t like to eat, so I thought I’d ask.
I’m not a child. If it tastes good, I’ll eat it.
Okay, then I’m gonna try really hard to make you something! Please look forward to it!
Isn’t that nice? I can’t help but smile when I see siblings getting along so well!
D-Don’t be stupid. She’s the one who’s going to all the trouble of doing stuff for me!
But it’s not like you don’t like that, right?
She wants to work for the Overlord. What’s not to like?
Hmhm… That’s totally something you would say…
Prince, this looks bad!
The demons that were affected by the Yuie flowers are planning an attack on Celestia.
At this rate, there’s gonna be war between Celestia and the Netherworld!
What!?

poo poo is sadly going all wrong now.

There’s no proof that Celestia has anything to do with the Yuie flowers!
They can’t just attack like this!
Well…I think they did have something to do with it. After all, those flowers are native to Celestia.
It’s not unreasonable for other demons to think that too, and want to get revenge.
If my colors were still messed up, I’d be right there with them.
Then we should go to Celestia to find out.
Yes. If we just talk to Seraph Lamington, I’m sure he’ll be able to prove Celestia’s innocence.
Whaddaya wanna do, Prince?

Laharl is actually much better at this than he pretends and is about to have a good idea.

If the flowers are their fault, I’ll beat up the Seraph.
And if not, we might be able to find a solution.
Pretty smart, Prince. Well, good luck then.
What!? You’re coming with us!
Really? Maaaaan…
Big Brother, do you need to go to the bathroom before we leave?
No! We’re leaving right away. Get ready.
Okay. I can bring up to 300 HL’s worth of snacks, right?
Bring as much as you want! And don’t forget to bring more for me!
Laharl and Sicily are getting along nicely.
I can feel their love for each other!

What about you, Etna? Do you have any siblings? A brother…or perhaps a sister?
I don’t need any. And I don’t want any.
Is that so? I always wanted an older brother, myself…
So I’m kinda jealous of Sicily.
Even if it’s him?
W-Well…
W-We need to get ready! You should hurry, too.
She really needs to learn how to hide things better.
Anyway…who is that angel?
I haven’t found any records about King Krichevskoy having a daughter.
Not to mention the fact that she’s an angel…
I don’t know what she’s after, but don’t let her fool you and kill you like a sucker, Prince.

So, let’s talk about some other things. This is about the point in the game where you really want to get serious about unlocking classes. Let’s actually look at the requirements for the humanoid classes (minus two that we can’t unlock until Chapter 8):

Thief- Martial Artist/Fight Mistress at level 5+.
Onymo Monk- Priest/Healer and Skull/Witch at level 10+.
Archer- Character with Bow Mastery 5+ and a Priest/Healer/Valkyrie/Warrior at 15+.
Armor Knight- Character with Spear Mastery 7+ and a Valkyrie/Warrior at 20+.
Beastmaster- Valkyrie/Warrior at 30+, and have performed a Mounted Skill.
Gunner- Character with Gun Mastery 5+, and a Thief at 15+.
Magic Knight- Skull/Witch and Warrior/Valkyrie at 20+.
Ninja- Thief and Martial Artist/Fight Mistress at 20+.
Shaman- Onymo Monk and Magic Knight at 20+.
Masked Hero- Ninja and Martial Artist/Fight Mistress at 25+.
Ronin- Character with Sword Mastery 7+ and an Archer at 30+.

So most of these are pretty easy to do in practice, the trickier ones are the ones that require advanced classes like the Ronin and the ones that require Thieves given they’re a bit slow to start. Magic Knights and Armor Knights should be considered high priorities, though, they’re both really great.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Flowery Path. Things aren’t looking so good.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have to wonder why no one has apparently done the simple step of ASKING Sicily where she learned she's King K's daughter? Who told her this? Where are they? When did they tell her? She had to have learned that from someone or something, so how did that happen?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...see, now I just wonder if Celestia is getting overrun by demonic ivy or something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

...see, now I just wonder if Celestia is getting overrun by demonic ivy or something.

See, I knew that this invasive species exchange policy was a bad idea! There's a reason why Australia is so super-strict about this stuff!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

See, I knew that this invasive species exchange policy was a bad idea! There's a reason why Australia is so super-strict about this stuff!

No, look: we send the demons into Australia, and they'll kill all the feral cats while powerleveling, then we just reincarnate all the demons into prinnies and blow them up! It's the perfect plan!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, look: we send the demons into Australia, and they'll kill all the feral cats while powerleveling, then we just reincarnate all the demons into prinnies and blow them up! It's the perfect plan!
Mate, if you think us Aussies will just stand around and let a bunch of demons take our jobs, you better think again.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

FractalSandwich posted:

Mate, if you think us Aussies will just stand around and let a bunch of demons take our jobs, you better think again.

I've worked with Aussies, and I'm familiar with the Aussie wildlife. How are you going to know that anything's changed?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ddegenha posted:

I've worked with Aussies, and I'm familiar with the Aussie wildlife. How are you going to know that anything's changed?
The demons would be less vicious?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh, silly! You are the demons! It's a Disgaea 2 plot all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's time for a special edition class discussion post, on Magic and Armor Knights:

Knightfall

We're going to start on Magic Knights, and before we get into them in this game we're going a bit historical because their genesis is a bit important. See, in the original Disgaea Magic Knights were basically the worst class. They were kinda okay with swords and kinda okay with magic but didn't do either even close to as well as the specialists in those fields, which made them pretty much worthless in practical application. NIS decided to change this for Disgaea 2, and in effect gave them the very first Evility (though this term didn't exist and there was no way of knowing about the effect other than experimentation). In order to make them viable with 'hybrid' stats, they gave Magic Knights a hidden passive that reflected their elemental resistances onto attacks with the corresponding element. What this in practice did is made them DEATH INCARNATE because they weren't anywhere near so far behind an equivalent Skull/Witch that a 50+% increase damage was necessary for parity. With Disgaea 3 came Evilities, and indeed the Magic Knight Evility was this effect codified. Magic Knights have largely continued to be super gross since, as NIS seems to have been more of the mind to give equally gross alternatives than trying to gently caress up Magic Knights. Now without further ado, The Magic Knight.

Weapon Skills: Magic Knights are rank A with Books, B with Swords and Staves, C with Bows, Spears, and Axes, and E with Fists. Books are a really interesting choice for them because all those skills are of course Elemental and in theory benefit from Magic Knight Bullshit if you'd rather do that than use regular spells (there's also a way to get the Evility that lets Books increase range likes Staves onto a Magic Knight but that's very long term and I'd argue is kind of a weak option).

Stats: Magic Knights have above average SP, slightly increased ATK and INT, but do suffer from slightly below average DEF, RES, and HIT and low SPD. They also resist all elements innately at 25%.

Evilities: Their stats don't tell the whole story, though, because here's the real thing we care about.

Element Force - Reflect element value onto elemental attacks. One of the strongest Evilities in the game, and the obvious best choice. With effort in gathering + resistance Innocents this can effectively double the Magic Knight's damage, straight up no questions asked.

Attack Weakness - Increase damage dealt by 100% when exploiting target's negative element. So, this is actually an interesting option early in the game because it is effectively giving you the full Element Force effect IF you are exploiting a weakness (and since Magic Knights have all three elemental branches if something has a weakness you are able to exploit it). The problem is that if you're up against something that doesn't actually have a weakness, it requires setup to use and debuffing something so you can do increased damage is never as strong a move as just killing the thing.

Spirit Protection - Increase element stats of ally units on map by 20%. A strong support effect, but dead enemies can't use elemental attacks and Magic Knights are kind of the premiere generic class for making things dead at a range.

Spells: Magic Knights start with all three elemental spells and get the Mega levels at 12. Rank 3 Magic Knights also pick up Giga spells at 32, but they don't get any farther than that naturally. You'll need Skulls/Witches to pick up Omega/Tera spells, though that's fair and reasonable. Magic Knights also get the unique <x> Charge and Anti-<x> spells, which increase and lower resistances. Taking a turn you would have otherwise passed to Charge isn't a bad play, so don't forget you can do it.

Now for the Armor Knight, whose genesis is also a bit interesting.

See, back in original Disgaea Armor Knights were dudes with high DEF aptitude who were good with Spears and great at Throwing. And that was basically all they were good for. They could barely move and their stats made them kinda poo poo at killing things compared to say a Ronin (especially because Spears were kinda poo poo to begin with). They continued in this niche for a bit, but were eventually phased out of the series completely. They make their return here as ladies in ridiculous fantasy armor, but this time they've actually got a niche and are damned useful.

Weapon Skills: Armor Knights are A with Spears, B with Axes, C with Swords, D with Fists, and E with everything else. Generally Spears are the correct choice, because they support the defensive playstyle of the class.

Stats: Armor Knights have absolutely poo poo SP, INT, and SPD. To make up for this, they have great HP and RES, and super high DEF. Their ability to take hits is pretty much top-notch.

Evilities: The Evilities of the Armor Knight all have to do with Defending, because the Armor Knight is built around the new Protect mechanic.

Defender - When defending, protect ally units regardless of distance. This is the most hilarious of the Evilities. It does exactly what it says, an Armor Knight using this will Protect allies even across the map by taking hits in their stead. This is my personal favorite because it lets me hang them back with a healer out of harm's way topping them up while they soak up damage. It should also be noted that Protecting is worth experience so Armor Knights with this Evility will actually level pretty quickly just from taking everyone's damage.

Defensive Stance - Always defends when attacked from the front or side. In spite of what the name says this is the aggressive option. This is the option for giving an Armor Knight an Axe and just wading into poo poo, because it means they'll take greatly reduced damage from Counters and reprisal attacks on the next turn unless the enemy gets their back. I think it also prevents them getting in Counter wars, because I'm pretty sure only Barbara can actually Counter while Defending (that's kind of her Thing and it's why it's so good the AI isn't smart enough to just have her Defend the first time we fight her).

Advance Guard - Decrease damage taken by 80% when defending. So this is an Evility that wants you to keep your Armor Knights up close to the person you want Protected. It lets them soak up way more damage, but you will need to give them movement increasing items or use Throwing to counter their poor movement.

• Locked thread