Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

likes/clicks/shares are a legitimate way to make money on Facebook

This is news to me, any relevant article links? I can't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

This is news to me, any relevant article links? I can't find anything.
maybe i'm mistakenly putting likes and shares mixed in with clicks to an external website, which definitely does give money to people who run facebook pages. that's why you have clickbait headlines and "satire" sites that publish bullshit stories

as for articles, i don't have any handy

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Sorry, I'm not trying to be all "Cite your sources" I was just interested in the concept.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nah it's all good

upworthy and countless other "viral" sites wouldn't be in business if they didn't get monetary kickbacks from people sharing their poo poo all the time

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

This one is a few years old but the idea is that you can build up a page with a lot of likes and shares etc so that it appears to be more popular, then sell the page to a business who now don't have to go to the time and trouble of advertising the product/service since it is already 'popular' and followed by many people.

http://www.alphr.com/realworld/382447/facebook-click-on-the-photo-scams-how-they-work

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

BossRighteous posted:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be all "Cite your sources" I was just interested in the concept.

When you like a page that page owner sees where you came from. "Like button " is literally a form of consent.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Facebook sells fake likes from click farms in India. For real.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Professor Shark posted:

Most people won't share this...

Like if you agree. Share if you disagree!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Y-Hat posted:

It's more like "taking advantage of dumb people."

aka the definition of scam

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

aka the definition of scam

Scam implies the dumb person loses something, which they don't in this case unless you count dignity

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I want to reply to so many facebook posts with imgay it's not even funny

a cloth map
Oct 29, 2011

No thanks. I'm a Government man.
Grandma's Facebook.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

a cloth map posted:

Grandma's Facebook.

:dings:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

"I know the difference between jet fuel and chemicals"
-Wendy

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Feeling bullshit 😣

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Anderron Shi posted:

"I know the difference between jet fuel and chemicals"
-Wendy
I know the difference between an apple and an apple.

a cloth map posted:

Grandma's Facebook.

What magazine would contain both of those things on the same page? Also, it'd probably be easier to match up borders than skin or hair.

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

Khorne posted:

I know the difference between an apple and an apple.

I know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

She's a meth addict so

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

bradzilla posted:

She's a meth addict so

so chemtrails comeout of her but

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

I'm surprised by how many of my friends are staunch Trump supporters. Well ex friends.

My friend isn't supporting the neoliberal WallStreet candidates this year, a-bloo-bloo-bloo!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dipshit spotted ^

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Did you buy that story, Anderron? It seems like you're using that emoticon as if that post actually happened and is about a real little girl. But if you mean "little angel" as in some church group, or religious organisation of some sort, making up an anectdote as a means to promote Big J/Cristianity then, yeah, that'd be the "little angel." Otherwise it's, nahhh man, I seriously doubt that was an actual incident that happened (outside of marketing's imagination).

Look at the first sentence in the post and then the second last sentence. For the story to be factual it's got some big problems there; those just doesn't add up at all, it doesn't make sense. I don't believe that post to be anything more than religion spreading religion... upon little "angel wings" of bright ideas at best.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

and

These were in the dusty corners of my HD - from some sort of 'Don't be fat' youtube video which is guaranteed to have people flaming out.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Anderron Shi posted:

Lmao god me too

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

a cloth map posted:

Grandma's Facebook.

This will show up at any point in the year, and people will all go "Oh my goodness, it gets earlier and earlier each year! *SHARES*"

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is that a grown rear end man bragging about eating 600 calories of food for supper like he's some kind of metabolic titan? Or is it a troll post claiming he can eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants, but despite that he chooses to eat like an 8 year old. Both in food choice and caloric intake.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Anderron Shi posted:

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
As of July 2th 2016 , I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, or posts, both past and future. By this statement, I give notice to Facebook it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me based on this profile and/or its contents. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute). NOTE: Facebook is now a public entity. All members must post a note like this. If you prefer, you can copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once it will be tactically allowing the use of your photos, as well as the information contained in the profile status updates.
DO NOT SHARE. You MUST copy and paste.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That70sHeidi posted:

As of July 2th 2016 , I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, or posts, both past and future. By this statement, I give notice to Facebook it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me based on this profile and/or its contents. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute). NOTE: Facebook is now a public entity. All members must post a note like this. If you prefer, you can copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once it will be tactically allowing the use of your photos, as well as the information contained in the profile status updates.

Stay safe privacy ghost

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Awesome Welles posted:

Stay safe privacy ghost
Stay "tactic" paranoia ghost

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
This is Reaper 2-5, we have acquired the profile pics, tangos are down, and we are oscar mike to the evac point

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That70sHeidi posted:

People believe in magic, legalese is spellcasting

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Professor Shark posted:

This is the entire basis of the Sovereign Citizen / Freeman On The Land movement. :sureboat:

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

"b. Consent to Use of Data: You agree that Application Provider may collect and use technical data and related information, including but not limited to technical information about Your device, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to You (if any) related to the Licensed Application. Application Provider may use this information, as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify You, to improve its products or to provide services or technologies to You."
"I DO NOT CONSENT"

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
1 Like = 10000 Pray
Share = 10000000 Pray
Ignore= HAIL SATAN

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

du -hast posted:

1 Like = 10000 Pray
Share = 10000000 Pray
Ignore= HAIL SATAN

I'd like to exchange my 300k Pray for one Chesse Burger Meal please. With fries and a coke.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
All from the same person today!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anderron Shi posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib