Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

Only two parts of the game really tripped me up:

* Q / Sean having to answer Eric's question. I just assumed that I would gain that knowledge in another timeline and it didn't occur to me to intentionally lose / answer "I DONT KNOW"
* In the incinerator puzzle room, I didn't realize that clicking on the window literally changed the viewpoint to Phi, and you could look around from Phi's perspective. I had to google a guide and saw it said "as Phi, do XYZ" and was like wait whaa?

For point 1 - Yeah. I think they were expecting you to time out or something, it kind of sucks that the right answer is ultimately rejected by Eric (for understandable reasons), but it kind of fails
For point 2 - I think the game intuits that after you do the puzzle to open the shutters so Phi can see, that you will then ask Phi if she can see anything now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I shouldn't have lied to Eric. :(

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also Mira was going on in the crossbow ending about no heart was like the one of the person she killed first... until she killed Eric. So there's another connection.

Turns out both Eric and his mom had a rare genetic heart defect! (That's my explanation at least)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm currently stuck near the end-game. The last thing that I did was to get the 8 numbers long password from Zero after he revealed that Q is a wobot.
I tried using that password on the Force Quit Box and on the Yellow Door but it doesn't work there and I can't figure out where else to use it.

What am I missing?
Here's my flowchart: http://imgur.com/a/1tCY5

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Go to the exclamation mark that c team has

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing that threw me off in the incinerator was that for some reason I never noticed the panel you needed to screw off as Phi.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jack Trades posted:

I'm currently stuck near the end-game. The last thing that I did was to get the 8 numbers long password from Zero after he revealed that Q is a wobot.
I tried using that password on the Force Quit Box and on the Yellow Door but it doesn't work there and I can't figure out where else to use it.

What am I missing?

Oh boy, you're in the wrong thread. Turn back to the other one while there's still a chance to not be spoiled the poo poo out of. (Also what you want is the exclamation point in the middle of that C-team branch.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

What am I missing?

Carlos is about to set sail on a magical journey after trying to figure out how not to get killed in AB game after the first 2 times he did it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Go to the exclamation mark that c team has

Thanks everyone, that got me back on track.
I was too obsessed with all the codes to notice the exclamation mark.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the theory that Delta mind hacked Eric into shooting him so that he'd die and not be brought along by the mass consciousness transfer. That way, CQD Delta could be morally 'clean'.

On a different note, here's the funniest line in the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like the theory that Delta mind hacked Eric into shooting him so that he'd die and not be brought along by the mass consciousness transfer. That way, CQD Delta could be morally 'clean'.

http://i.imgur.com/cOPk3vL.gifv

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 2, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

oh my god

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

holy loving goddamn

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That took me a little while, but Holy making GBS threads Crikey.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

i bet in the tenmyouji-kurashiki family kitchen she makes jokes like this all the time and junpei just groans

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"what's so bad about baking?"

Then

:aaaaa:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't get it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ymgve posted:

I don't get it
THE WOMAN BURNED ALIVE IN AN INCINERATOR AS SMALL CHILD

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

:perfect:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

THE WOMAN BURNED ALIVE IN AN INCINERATOR AS SMALL CHILD

We're in the universes that God forsook and she survived, remember

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

We're in the universes that God forsook and she survived, remember

And?

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Man I just finished this game and it was definitely a wild ride throughout. Even if I did enjoy it I still have a few gripes with some of the events though.

Regarding Zero being the fourth member of Q team: While it was foreshadowed, what was the point of that anyway? If Zero didn't want people to work out he was Q, there had to be simpler ways.
Was the whole six billion vs 8 billion deaths more than vaguely alluded to. It felt like the thing most asspullish thing.
How were Zero (and Phi) even born in the first place?

Also did Sigma really get his arms blown off by the bomb and live anyway? And did Carlos and Junpei seriously manage to shield Akane from a Gatling gun? I know we're just supposed to accept this at face value but it just seems a little silly.

Having said all that, I at least feel all the important questions were at least answered although I feel like they meant to do actual character endings and just ran out of money.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Morphogenic96 posted:

Was the whole six billion vs 8 billion deaths more than vaguely alluded to. It felt like the thing most asspullish thing.

Fanatic Bio R, with its 100% mortality rate.

And because they have to be. Sort of like how Akane sets up the events of 999 so that she'll survive her childhood so she can set up the events of 999 etc.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Morphogenic96 posted:

Man I just finished this game and it was definitely a wild ride throughout. Even if I did enjoy it I still have a few gripes with some of the events though.

Regarding Zero being the fourth member of Q team: While it was foreshadowed, what was the point of that anyway? If Zero didn't want people to work out he was Q, there had to be simpler ways.

Also did Sigma really get his arms blown off by the bomb and live anyway? And did Carlos and Junpei seriously manage to shield Akane from a Gatling gun? I know we're just supposed to accept this at face value but it just seems a little silly.

Having said all that, I at least feel all the important questions were at least answered although I feel like they meant to do actual character endings and just ran out of money.
Phi and Delta (Zero) were born to Sigma and Diana in the Q team dies timeline where Phi was incinerated, and Akan was the only survivor of the control room monty hall decision. After they use the transporter to scan themselves and send them to the D team dies timeline, they sat around in the bunker for 11 months, did the horizontal tango, and sent the babies into the far past before they ran out of food.

Yeah, VLR old Sigma has an eyepatch and cybernetic arms as a result of his injuries.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Oh, of you mean how did they show up pre timeloop?

Predestination paradoxes are a bitch

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Uchikoshi loves ontological loops

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope someone asks him where the brooch comes from

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kyle was the brooch all along.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

I hope someone asks him where the brooch comes from

"Its history is... complex."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

To be honest if Uchikoshi answers one of my questions about his game again, I want to ask him how much Zero Time Dilemma changed in between the past 4 years

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I just rewatched the intro cinematic to the pod room and there's no loving way that an old man in a wheelchair is anywhere in that room off camera (and especially not in the spot suggested by the phantom shadow). They cover all the angles in the various shots. I am disappointed in you Uchikoshi!!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I am just going to pretend that the brooch got lost or broken then replaced or repaired before the events of ZTD, that way it at least has a more believable loop like the Muramasa in chrono trigger

as for the inscription and design of the brooch, yeah it's basically meaningless in origin since it is a product of a stable time loop.

They kinda needed to pull a massive Plot Device like the Transporter out to have a lot of things make sense, but I still don't really like it.

that and the fact that Kyle/? didn't have any major part in the story at all, I won't take "he was gab" as a proper answer either, because gab didn't really do much beyond carry messages around.

It was a wild ride, but those and the fact they really don't want you to know about the Old Man until the very end are the things I didn't like about the plot too much.

still, I enjoyed it.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

korrandark posted:

Ok, I think I finished the game. I really liked it. Two questions though.

1. Is there an actually decision for killing Delta or is it supposed to be ambiguous?

It actually literally doesn't matter. Because of how timelines work in this game we know that the timeline where Delta is killed and the timeline where he is not killed both happen no matter what. I thought the fact that the game cuts out right at the moment was pretty clever.

Cake Attack posted:

thinking about it, i think the thing that bugs me a lot is how little any of the characters seem to ever accomplish. with the exception of Carlos, real american hero, shifting like mad, it feels like everyone just kinda bumbles along aimlessly until the player has the right info and then delta spouts exposition and the game ends. this was especially bad in the case of sigma and phi, who were supposed to be infiltrating the experiment to stop radical 9, and proceed to basically do nothing all game except get born

I took this to be part of the point. Ultimately the fates of everyone were always already predetermined, and no amount of time shenanigans could ever have avoided that. The latin phrases point back to this too.

The people who actually ended up happy were the ones who accepted their fates and found happiness despite it, as Diana and Sigma did in the timeline where Phi and Delta are born, or Junpei and Quark in VLR. Trying to change the past was a mistake.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Linguica posted:

I just rewatched the intro cinematic to the pod room and there's no loving way that an old man in a wheelchair is anywhere in that room off camera (and especially not in the spot suggested by the phantom shadow). They cover all the angles in the various shots. I am disappointed in you Uchikoshi!!

you, the player, got kriss angel mindfreaked by the old man's powers. have a seat, BITCH!!

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Linguica posted:

There's a good few times where Delta is not in the room and then enters the scene later after everyone else.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I think the only room that Q team gets locked into is the Biolab.

I think they aren't locked into the pod room or study, but don't want to leave until they finish searching iirc

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

NextTime000 posted:

I am just going to pretend that the brooch got lost or broken then replaced or repaired before the events of ZTD, that way it at least has a more believable loop like the Muramasa in chrono trigger

Technically it did. The transporter only transports information; it "3D prints" the item at the destination from materials already there.

Where did the design come from, then? Well, if you think about it, it has to be necessitated by what features the brooch would've needed to have in order for Diana to want to pick it up from the furnace and for Phi to want to keep it and pass it down to her self-daughter, etc.

Basically, the design of the brooch was determined by what the design of an object that Phi and Diana both would've liked enough to keep would've had to have been :P.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Oh right, Really minor point but I love how in triangle, the pictures change after the announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

there's something about swimsuit nendo akane that kinda took me out of the game every time i saw it

• Locked thread