Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
I actually didn't know about that! Although it's a shame they're just sort of odd PirateVikings in this game rather than evoking that extreme loyalty to the emperor that their historical namesake were attributed with. But still, interesting bit of information.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

I just noticed the tiny Goonther and Capra in top right key are also animated. :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

What, have you never studied history? The Varangian Guard were the elite bodyguards of the Byzantine emperors who traditionally hailed from Scandanavia.
Have we run into them yet? Anyway, the name refers to all vikings, that's what they were called in Greek-speaking and Orthodox countries, most famously Russia.

Anyway, the upcoming area is actually one of my favorite in the game; I wish all of it had this much attention to detail.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 2, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MGlBlaze posted:

Now will you fuckers please stop making Geop lock it.

:ironicat:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

That "To a place where I could gull the- UH I MEAN" line always struck me as kind of dumb. I guess it was an attempt at humour but it just felt like iffy writing to me.

Every Souls game has to have at least one totally trustworthy and not at all suspicious NPC.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I'm not sure why they felt the need to add that silly line on Licia, considering she felt shifty enough without a cartoon "I'll steal your money I MEAN HELP YOUR JOURNEY". It is kinda lazy writing, yeah.

Aside from that little nitpick, I do enjoy the NPCs in this game. Even the basic merchants have some interesting developments, and it's nice to come back and drop money on them to unlock new wares or see what new dialogue they have.

Aside from Cale. gently caress Cale.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

double nine posted:

boooo. It's a good title, don't bully it away just because someone has the same pun-diseased mind as you.

Do I need to see a doctor?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Geop's heading to a pleasant land filled with bright and upstanding individuals

Seriously, gently caress this area. The combo of dark areas and density of mobs made this a god-awful nightmare on my first playthrough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The Smokey talk gave me an idea. I needed an incentive to learn about Layers in Gimp anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ha, the whole time you were talking to Licia there was a Heide knight in the background just wandering about

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Highwang posted:

spoiler tags

:bravo:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
let me tell you about the saiya peopol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
vicas mentioned item placement as a storytelling device in his lp of dark souls 1 and there's an (unnecessarily subtle) example of that here. dark souls 2 does it too!

also yeah this next area owns

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Well, opinions on the upcoming area seem rather divided. I suppose I can understand why. The art direction is strong enough to be an actually memorable looking area and it plays with the kind of level geometry you see all the time in Dark Souls 1 that most other areas of Dark Souls 2 just kinda forget entirely.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 2, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
This area is a lot better in the Scholar version. Geop'll do fine.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Is it? Beyond one set of additions that is actually sane, I don't entirely remember what the area is like in the base game. I do recall that some friends are moved around. I feel like it's mostly the same, beyond that.

Edit: Actually, don't elaborate on what has or hasn't changed for the better until it comes up.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 3, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I wanted to say this before but the thread was locked while i was typing, so:

This is a good lp by good people and i like it.

Edit: Just finished my playthrough of DS1 and watching the previous lp, now i get to play 2 along with Geop.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I like you take an elevator down from a sunken city ruins on the ocean, take another elevator down several hundred feet from there, and end up in a cave at sea level. Dark Souls 2 has a very well put together world.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look you try maintaining a consistent sense of place and time with the undead curse ravaging your mind :v:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Tollymain posted:

look you try maintaining a consistent sense of place and time with the undead curse ravaging your mind :v:

I'd almost be willing to buy that if the rest of the game was really well polished. Or if one certain area transition in particular didn't exist. As it stands seems to me like it's really just down to iffy world design and don't really feel like giving them the benefit of that kind of explanation.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

Is it? Beyond one set of additions that is actually sane, I don't entirely remember what the area is like in the base game. I do recall that some friends are moved around. I feel like it's mostly the same, beyond that.

Why don't we stop talking about it

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

I'd almost be willing to buy that if the rest of the game was really well polished. Or if one certain area transition in particular didn't exist. As it stands seems to me like it's really just down to iffy world design and don't really feel like giving them the benefit of that kind of explanation.

It's a result of development troubles and the design of the game. Since warping is available form the start there's no real reason to put areas together especially cohesively, so I imagine that was very low priority.

I do think they mean to convey the passing of great distance when you transition between zones, that's why one of the first things they show you is the giant map of Drangleic in the Majula basement, to establish that the game takes place over an entire continent.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

It does, but the part I'm thinking of is completely nonsensical in every respect. So I feel like that map thing is really just to hand-wave the whole situation. Most of the other examples are a lot more subtle and easier to overlook.

But I'm the "I think Dark Souls 1 was better than Dark Souls 2" guy depending on who you ask apparently so I may just be biased enough against the game that the world layout bothers me more than it otherwise would. So right now Goonther should really be about 300 meters under the ocean. Glub glub.

Maybe we could help Goonther find his usual hat and run an air tube to it like an old diving suit.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Looper posted:

Why don't we stop talking about it

Is it really that hard to not constantly talk about things we haven't seen in the LP yet?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

MGlBlaze posted:

Well, opinions on the upcoming area seem rather divided. I suppose I can understand why. The art direction is strong enough to be an actually memorable looking area and it plays with the kind of level geometry you see all the time in Dark Souls 1 that most other areas of Dark Souls 2 just kinda forget entirely.

Oh, it's not a bad area. There's just one problem with it that I can't go into without spoilers. There was an area with the same problem in DS1, even, though there it was a later game area.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Is it really that hard to not constantly talk about things we haven't seen in the LP yet?

Some people just have a gossip problem, much alike to alcoholism and gambling.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Oh Boy. Pirates cove. I really like pirates cove.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dark Souls 2 is a game where you travel to a distant land by falling into a whirlpool in a lake towards the reflection of land

Is the country itself functioning on weird dream logic that doesn't actually make sense really that untenable

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Why don't we talk about literally anything else?

So, that circular area with 3 of those big knight dudes in Heide's Tower of Flame! As I recall the two standing back are reluctant to attack you until the guy in the middle is dead, which is nice, although those two at once can still be tough. Not that it's a bad idea to just chuck poo poo at him and not deal with his bullshit either. I am bad at fighting the two-handed ones, so I usually fill that one full of arrows myself.

EDIT: that's not aimed at you LTW

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 3, 2016

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

I'll be honest, I forgot about the weird whirlpool magic transportation opening thing.

Okay, fine, I guess I shouldn't be quite as hung up over the world layout as I am.

Nihilarian posted:

So, that circular area with 3 of those big knight dudes in Heide's Tower of Flame! As I recall the two standing back are reluctant to attack you until the guy in the middle is dead, which is nice, although those two at once can still be tough. Not that it's a bad idea to just chuck poo poo at him and not deal with his bullshit either. I am bad at fighting the two-handed ones, so I usually fill that one full of arrows myself.

Considering some other examples, that actually shows a weird amount of restraint for this game. That area past Knight Benhart is pretty nasty with how it jumps you with, what, six enemies at once?

The fact that the sword and shield knights actually stay back until you kill the greatsword knight before they both move in at once is interesting, though. I was pretty surprised that the optional Pursuer encounter in the Forest of Fallen Giants' enemies that were added to the arena keep playing dead until after it leaves too. And how the dudes strewn about that courtyard near the start of that area had a relatively small aggro range. It's been reasonably restrained up to this point.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 3, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
[REDACTED]

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Coming straight from Witcher 3 to this, I really want the quickstep dodge instead of the roll :(

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Since I beat Dark Souls 3 I picked this up again and I've been dual wielding the Caestus to mostly great effect, but holy poo poo are the hitboxes terrible. Particularly, short fast moving enemies that swarm you are almost impossible to hit, because you punch right over them 75% of the time, and using the 2h R2 to punch the ground is incredibly slow and just asking to get stunlocked to death. I'm sure a couple people can guess what boss I'm on :/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
O BEAR OF THE CURSE!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Drangleic's geography was like the one thing people pointed out right off the bat when the game came out. It's not like people are nitpicking on durability again. You can play the game trying not to think about it (I did), but after Dark Souls 1 pointing at its own world cohesiveness the entire way through, for DS2 to come out and not even try and explain it feels more like low-effort than a message on space dreams and the loss of self.

On the other hand, the seemingly lack of design direction let the team create some really impressive setpieces, so I suppose it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Genocyber posted:

I do think they mean to convey the passing of great distance when you transition between zones, that's why one of the first things they show you is the giant map of Drangleic in the Majula basement, to establish that the game takes place over an entire continent.
That's how I interpreted it too. Although I kinda wish the basement map was a bit more detailed because I still have no idea what is where.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AstroWhale posted:

The Smokey talk gave me an idea. I needed an incentive to learn about Layers in Gimp anyway.

You know, maybe miyazaki just really hates camping and this whole series of games is based on a hatred of being dragged out on holidays by his family when he was little.

[edit]The wacky geography of the transition zones could be a metaphor for being half-asleep during the car ride, you make a lot of nonsensical twists and turns then end up stuck in a dark scary pirate cave in the middle of nowhere or something

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 3, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Except people have been talking about it since the game came out and there's nothing new to say soooo let's just stop right now

That's my two cents, which is inherently more valuable than yours

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Grizlor posted:

Since I beat Dark Souls 3 I picked this up again and I've been dual wielding the Caestus to mostly great effect, but holy poo poo are the hitboxes terrible. Particularly, short fast moving enemies that swarm you are almost impossible to hit, because you punch right over them 75% of the time, and using the 2h R2 to punch the ground is incredibly slow and just asking to get stunlocked to death. I'm sure a couple people can guess what boss I'm on :/
If you're on the boss I'm thinking of, you're not close enough. The hitboxes aren't bad, but as in all games in the series they and the swingboxes are relatively precise. As a result fist weapons are an extreme outlier on the low end of swingboxes, but still mangeable so long as you stay aware and consider your full moveset. (I recently finished a fist weapon run and it was weird as hell but still fun to punch so fast.)

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Miacis posted:

That's how I interpreted it too. Although I kinda wish the basement map was a bit more detailed because I still have no idea what is where.

Considering the alternative could have been hoofing it all the way between areas, I'm cool with the transition hallways. I never noticed oddities about it until someone pointed any of them out. It's just not something I put enough thought into to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Grizlor posted:

I forget if this works for fist weapons in DS2 (since it varies for weapon class and game) but for such enemies try unlocking and angling the camera downward. That will aim the hitboxes of some weapon's attacks a bit more downward, letting you more easily hit enemies low to the ground.

• Locked thread