Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Rexides posted:

And that's it. By the time your army is mostly composed by hugeswordsmen, early rifles units have become available, and while they are not as strong as your hugeswordsment right now, a player who starts investing in those units now will have the upper hand in later eras while your army becomes more and more obsolete by every passing turn.

Civ 3 had this and then, if I recall correctly, the expansions totally hosed it up. Here's Sullla spouting the good poo poo, again.

quote:

6) The Medieval Infantry: Although technically this was a change from the Play the World expansion, it can be considered here as well. PTW was essentially an alpha version of Conquests shipped out to the public to make money before it was even remotely ready, so I think it's fair to consider the (minimal) changes of PTW. The Medieval Infantry, or MDI for short, was probably the worst unit added to Civ3 in terms of balance. The standard version of Civ3 forced the player to make a classic strategic choice in the Ancient Age. On the one hand, you could pursue war with swordsmen, who at 3/2/1 possessed the highest attack and defensive stats of the age. Swords required iron though (the most valuable resource), and were slow-moving and could not retreat from battle if losing. Most importantly, swordsmen were a dead-end unit; no upgrading, ever. Any shields invested in them were only good for a relatively small window of opportunity. Horsemen, on the other hand, were fast and could retreat from battle if losing. They had much lower stats than swords though, at only 2/1/2, and cost the same 30 shields. Unlike swords, horses had the advantage of being upgradable to first knights and then cavalry, so they were the much better long term investment. Thus the choice: do you go with the superior defense and greater punch of the soon-to-be obsolete swordsman, or with the speed and upgradability of horsemen? These kind of choices are the meat of strategy games; take them away and chess turns into tick-tack-toe.

The MDI destroyed this classic tradeoff. Now the swordsman WOULD upgrade, into a 4/2/1 unit enabled at Feudalism, meaning that shields put into swords would not be wasted at all. As soon as the next age started, BOOM - now your swords can upgrade to the same attack strength as knights and keep going. So much for having to make a strategic tradeoff. Even worse, the MDI completely invalidated the purpose of the longbow unit, which at 4/1/1 and the same cost now served no purpose unless the civ in question was unlucky enough to lack iron. And longbows come later on the tech tree than MDIs! You get the better unit at the same cost before the worse unit! Does that make any sense whatsoever? Then the problem was only made worse by allowing these units to upgrade further into the guerilla, although admittedly this was not a very good unit. Conquests compounds the issue further by allowing the guerilla to upgrade into the TOW Infantry. Now everything upgrades to something else - everything! This has affected the civilization unique units too. Babylon's Bowmen (2/2/1) for example are a great ancient age unit, but they were "horribly unupgradeable" in standard Civ3. This was by design, since you got ancient age punch but in exchange lost the ability to upgrade these units to anything useful. Bowmen now upgrade all the way to TOW Infantry. Again, Conquests is removing strategic elements from Civ3 by dumbing down the upgrades. The TOW Infantry is another poorly added unit, a resourceless unit which primarily makes it more difficult to mop up civs after the game is over. Employing resource denial late in the game to prevent the AI from building tanks or mechs is strategy. Simply giving everyone the option to build better resourceless units takes away from it. But the MDI was the unit that started this by upsetting the balance of ancient age units, the blame starts with it. Adding more "stuff" to a game does not necessarily make it better , and the MDI is a good example of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, but that's not really what I was saying. That's great metagame and all, but giving a unit a penalty (compared to other units) that only becomes apparent many turns later is not really that cognition-friendly. I'd rather every unit go through only three or so upgrades, so that players know that nothing lasts forever and don't have to choose between units that way. If you want to build a horse dude rather than a sword dude, it should be because horses are cool, not because one upgrades forever and the other is a technological dead end.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I really like the idea of weighing up a great army that risks going obsolete vs an upgradable cheaper force, but the civ 5 system of building fewer, more expensive, more durable units doesn't really fit with this at all. I wonder what sort of balance 6 will strike.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tree Bucket posted:

I really like the idea of weighing up a great army that risks going obsolete vs an upgradable cheaper force, but the civ 5 system of building fewer, more expensive, more durable units doesn't really fit with this at all. I wonder what sort of balance 6 will strike.

It appears to be a single line of upgradeable, core melee troops, with a series of "auxillary" units stackable on the core troop, e.g. Archer, artillery etc

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Well of Souls says there's a day/night cycle in the game, too. Also, Tea is a new bonus resource that yields extra science.

I really wonder why coffee and tea have never been luxuries before, considering their historical importance.

They should add kola nuts as a late game luxury too.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Tea as a science booster is just the most wonderful bit of world building.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's an old poem about making coffee spurs elucidating conversations or whatever, i'm gonna try to find it. It came out when they were still called "berries" instead of coffee beans

in the meantime you might as well add in tobacco
weed & poppies too I guess.

has anyone made a TCC themed mod before?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's an old poem about making coffee spurs elucidating conversations or whatever, i'm gonna try to find it. It came out when they were still called "berries" instead of coffee beans

in the meantime you might as well add in tobacco
weed & poppies too I guess.

has anyone made a TCC themed mod before?

I'm not sure but I think tobacco is in

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
As England I'm going to see how quickly I can obtain Tea with Milk and two Sugar.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Checking out the channel to see if they've put up the next Civ reveal yet, I noticed they've started Wonder videos since last Wednesday. Nothing too informative, it's just watching them all get built, but hey, maybe they'll show off something new sometime.

The Pyramids
The Great Library
The Eiffel Tower

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlWRx6vJNvw

Those facial expressions made me physically recoil.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Egypt First Look

Egypt UA: Wonders and districts build faster when adjacent to a river, flood plains don't block wonder and district placement.
Cleopatra's UA: International trade routes starting in Egypt gain bonus gold. International trade routes with Egypt other civilizations start generate bonus gold and food for the other nation.
UU: Maryannu Chariot Archer - Bonus movement when starting on open terrain.
UI: Sphinx. Provides faith and culture. Sphinx gets bonuses when adjacent to a wonder.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Egypt's theme seems to be Wonder-centered wealth this go around; they don't get the Ancient/Classical Wonder rush boost of Chinese Builders, but they get accelerated Wonder building in all eras, and with Faith acting as another fairly all-purpose currency (and Culture as a second "Science" track), it'll probably be worth it to toss around at least a few Sphinx improvements. The double boost to Gold from trading should also keep them flush with material wealth.

Appears like a fairly well-rounded builder Civ; not particularly aggressively or defensively inclined (beyond the natural defenses that crossing rivers provides), but flexible through purchasing power.
A.I. Cleopatra looks to be destined to clash with A.I. China (and A.I. America if on the same continent).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it just me or does that video show chariot archers firing at range 2?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

StashAugustine posted:

Yes it does - but that shouldn't be surprising, it was the same in Civ 5.

On another note, this video raises more questions about how river crossings work... to quote myself:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

towards the very end of the gameplay video, a scout with 3MP has the option of crossing a river into a flat grassland tile but can move no further (not even into a second flat grassland tile). At the start of the video, a builder can... so either there's a builder-specific rule or a scout-specific rule (and I'm guessing the former, because why would the scout be the only unit with restricted movement?)

But.

Throughout the video it looks like you have to have full MP to cross a river (see the horses and scout 30 seconds in).

So you need to end a turn next to a river, and then end a turn crossing it.

I no longer have the faintest clue how river crossings work, this latest video throws up too many questions :confused:

Edit: can anyone reconcile these movement rules? What's the rule here? Bearing in mind that the chariot in the final screenshot has 2 out of 4 movement left. I can't tell whether it costs 3MP to cross a river, or 2MP, or what.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 6, 2016

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Edit: can anyone reconcile these movement rules? What's the rule here? Bearing in mind that the chariot in the final screenshot has 2 out of 4 movement left. I can't tell whether it costs 3MP to cross a river, or 2MP, or what.

Looks like 2 to cross a river+2 to enter a forested/hilly area. In the bottom screenshot looks like there might be roads between the wonders and the city (bridges), hence cutting the MP requirement

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I really like that at two of the three civs we have seen so far have unique districts, it will be really nice to look at the map and immediately understand that you are looking at Egyptian or English lands. They are much more interesting than Unique Units in my opinion, because terrain improvements have traditionally had more shelf life than units.

On another note, this video raises more questions about how river crossings work... to quote myself:

I no longer have the faintest clue how river crossings work, this latest video throws up too many questions :confused:

Hey man, it's cool that you are super perceptive like that, but the two videos might have been taken during different points in the development process and the rules might have changed in between. Not to mention that they can change yet still until the release day (or even after).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rexides posted:

Hey man, it's cool that you are super perceptive like that, but the two videos might have been taken during different points in the development process and the rules might have changed in between. Not to mention that they can change yet still until the release day (or even after).

Yeah I did consider that, but it doesn't even seem consistent in the same video (the Egypt one). I think I figured it out though. The chariot archers have 3MP and I was mis-reading the ZOC situation - that's why they have only 1MP left after crossing the river. The last shot just demonstrates their special ability (extra MP when starting in plains)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Rexides posted:

I really like that at two of the three civs we have seen so far have unique districts, it will be really nice to look at the map and immediately understand that you are looking at Egyptian or English lands. They are much more interesting than Unique Units in my opinion, because terrain improvements have traditionally had more shelf life than units.

Agreed! The minigame of placing moai and chateaux in 5 was a lot of fun. City design in 6 could well end up being its most interesting feature.
Incidentally, I'm not 100% sure of this, but isn't the sphinx described as an improvement rather than a district? There's something very Egyptian about choosing not to use your Builder on a farm or a mine but a giant useless stone statue of a lion headed guy...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rexides posted:

if you change such a core rule in the game at this late a stage in development, you hosed up and your game is probably poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yes it does - but that shouldn't be surprising, it was the same in Civ 5.

Yeah but it sucked there and I was hoping they'd change it with the new unit stacking system

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phobophilia posted:

if you change such a core rule in the game at this late a stage in development, you hosed up and your game is probably poo poo

Whoa settle down beavis.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Agreed! The minigame of placing moai and chateaux in 5 was a lot of fun. City design in 6 could well end up being its most interesting feature.
Incidentally, I'm not 100% sure of this, but isn't the sphinx described as an improvement rather than a district? There's something very Egyptian about choosing not to use your Builder on a farm or a mine but a giant useless stone statue of a lion headed guy...

It's a guy headed lion :colbert:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Rexides posted:

It's a guy headed lion :colbert:

I sort of hate myself a bit now

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

lmao okay

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They did have lion-headed statues, to be fair. Not male, though.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Looks like 2 to cross a river+2 to enter a forested/hilly area. In the bottom screenshot looks like there might be roads between the wonders and the city (bridges), hence cutting the MP requirement

I thought so too, but look at this. You can tell that this unit has 4MP because it can get onto the hill marked X, and can also circle around the zone of control to get to Y. Tile Z is the issue. Unless it costs 2MP to enter tundra then this MP estimate is wrong.

That same tile also seems to be come an issue in the second screenshot where we can determine that the unit again has 4MP, but can't enter that same tile. The only thing I can up with is that it's a bug in that tile that makes it impassible. I've come up with two different movement schemes that work for every scenario pictured, and both were defeated by Tile Z.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The Human Crouton posted:

I thought so too, but look at this. You can tell that this unit has 4MP because it can get onto the hill marked X, and can also circle around the zone of control to get to Y. Tile Z is the issue. Unless it costs 2MP to enter tundra then this MP estimate is wrong.

That same tile also seems to be come an issue in the second screenshot where we can determine that the unit again has 4MP, but can't enter that same tile. The only thing I can up with is that it's a bug in that tile that makes it impassible. I've come up with two different movement schemes that work for every scenario pictured, and both were defeated by Tile Z.

Costs 2MP to cross the river, it looks like, from that screenshot in isolation. Which is an improvement over Civ5's 'costs all remaining MP' thing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Costs 2MP to cross the river, it looks like, from that screenshot in isolation. Which is an improvement over Civ5's 'costs all remaining MP' thing.

And if it costs 2MP to cross a river then that unit should be able to reach tile Z.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Could be 3 to cross a river, or maybe chariots are worse at corssing rivers than other units.

Phobophilia posted:

lol, you're becoming a caricature.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

And if it costs 2MP to cross a river then that unit should be able to reach tile Z.

I am a dingus and can't count, clearly. I can't imagine why tundra would be impassable, though, unless there's supposed to be a district there or something.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

I am a dingus and can't count, clearly. I can't imagine why tundra would be impassable, though, unless there's supposed to be a district there or something.

I'm assuming that this just has something to do with the early build they are using.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

StashAugustine posted:

God I hope not. That plus OUPT ruined 5 for me. I love the Civ series but depending on how well the limited stacking in 6 works I'll probably end up just continuing to play 4.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hear civ iv is still a good game, so I'm sure you'll have fun with that.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The two new stacking mechanisms in Civ 6 are just there to reduce the unit carpeting that happens in later stages of the game, not to fix anything about combat vs. AI.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I actually beat Civ 4 for the first time last week (didn't get it until a year or two ago, I think I got it for getting BNW on release). I kind of want to try it more but so far it's the absolute best game I don't like.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

That's what got me too but I think I have it figured out. The chariots have 3MP. The hill costs 2MP but can be entered with the last 1MP (like in Civ5). The southernmost tile can be entered if the Chariot heads east first, then southwest, then southwest again (it's only when moving from one ZOC to another that all MP gets eaten up)

They've definitely changed the rule since the earliest gameplay video though.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If the tundra was classified as a hill, wouldn't that prevent movement to it?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

berenzen posted:

If the tundra was classified as a hill, wouldn't that prevent movement to it?

Nope. If you have at least 1MP remaining and the tile is not impassable (mountain, occupied by an unstackable unit, etc.), you can move into a tile with any terrain feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Aerdan posted:

Nope. If you have at least 1MP remaining and the tile is not impassable (mountain, occupied by an unstackable unit, etc.), you can move into a tile with any terrain feature.

in civ v. we don't know if thats how it works in civ vi