Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mah name is Ray Schmuckles and IIT is tuh-day. That is not..... a problem..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Shibawanko posted:

Mah name is Ray Schmuckles and IIT is tuh-day. That is not..... a problem..

God, what an awful line. That sounded more like bad Achewood fan fiction than anything else.
I still thought it was an alright voice for Ray, though. And I thought the bit about scones was alright, but it's been a long while since I dared watch it. Achewood could be made into a great short Youtube series if somebody came along and just competently animated the better storylines.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just rewatched the test footage. Philippe's voice is perfect, and so is Beef's/Onstad's. Ray's voice is horrible in the first scene, and then is tolerable in the others. It's really not bad overall. I think the hate towards it is because we got our hopes up for animated Achewood and then the first thing out of Ray's mouth made us want to vomit.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I'm very sorry, you are wrong.

Diet Poison posted:

Achewood could be made into a great short Youtube series if somebody came along and just competently animated the better storylines.

Personally if they went the Brad Neely route with it I think it could have done very well. Do a cheap and easy web series, get a good groove down and present that, not a stilted demo reel.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 29, 2016

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roast Beef's voice in the demo reel really is perfect. Ray's voice I feel is almost there, but it's maybe a little overperformed, or he sounds just slightly too old or something.

e: it's actually overperformed enough that when he drinks the mood whiskey and says "KISS MY rear end BITCH, I'LL BE AT DUANE'S!" it doesn't really sound too distinct from his normal delivery.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I give the voice a 4/10

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember when instead of approaching Onstad privately, Schmorky thought it'd be a good idea to post that in the thread and pitch in public, putting Onstad on the spot in a really dickish way.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Lurdiak posted:

I remember when instead of approaching Onstad privately, Schmorky thought it'd be a good idea to post that in the thread and pitch in public, putting Onstad on the spot in a really dickish way.

Self-sabotage is an awesome skill to have.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I've got a cool opinion, the achewood animation is cool and wouldn't be out of place on adult swim God knows they've had weirder poo poo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Achewood test footage was good considering its purpose and its place along the absurd pipeline of television production. It needed more work to become something good to watch in its own right.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Windu posted:

I've got a cool opinion, the achewood animation is cool and wouldn't be out of place on adult swim God knows they've had weirder poo poo

I can agree with this. Air it in the 2:30 am timeslot after Vagina Products Macgyver and it'll draw a nice fanbase.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Like yeah it's definitely rough as hell but the scones bit and the whiskey bit are legit funny on their ownsome

The whiskey bit is a good example of the humor that achewood gets right and would appeal to the stoned college kid demographic, it's nonsensical and funny all alone but improves with the knowledge of the characters and knowing what sort of cat ray is (the type of cat who would order a crate of mood whiskey)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

... no, it is all really bad.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shibawanko posted:

... no, it is all really bad.

img-that_picture_of_ray_saying_no.jpg

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Toby Huss is a legend, but maybe Ray wasn't the part for him.

3D Achewood was and remains a terrible idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Considering the limited range of motion the characters in the comic have, I don't see a problem with stilted 3D models.

Ray's voice was really the only one that felt wrong to me in that test footage. Way too southern.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
:siren:New strip!:siren:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"SOCIETY PERMANENTLY DEFINES ME AS AN UNCURABLE LOSER BASED ON SOMETHING I DON'T EVEN DO ANYMORE" would make for a good red text title.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I feel like "Ray not drinking" is far too big a concept to just drop in out of the blue like this. I might need some time to process it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dordreff posted:

I feel like "Ray not drinking" is far too big a concept to just drop in out of the blue like this. I might need some time to process it.

Fallout from a terrible arc that wanted to replicate the magical realism of previous arcs but was just completely unable to

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's been off the sauce for a while now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Was really hoping we would not return to this arc cause its dumb and ray being a cartoon cat whose liver is not harmed by alcohol was fun

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
We always knew Ray was going to get healthy, roast beef would die alone, and Philippe would be five

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Considering the limited range of motion the characters in the comic have, I don't see a problem with stilted 3D models.

Ray's voice was really the only one that felt wrong to me in that test footage. Way too southern.

Have, you, uh, read any of Ray's dialogue? Ray's dialogue, and to a lesser extent Roast Beef's, are that weird SoCal thing where they listen to a lot of rap music and it leaks into their way of speech?

Maybe it's not Southern enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tarranon posted:

We always knew Ray was going to get healthy, roast beef would die alone, and Philippe would be five

Roast Beef got married tho

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

corn in the bible posted:

The end! No moral.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

corn in the bible posted:

She leaves him.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

counterpoint: were this true then ray should have lost his ears back in 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Clipperton posted:

counterpoint: were this true then ray should have lost his ears back in 2012

It's not 2012 in the Achewood universe yet. Clearly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Have, you, uh, read any of Ray's dialogue? Ray's dialogue, and to a lesser extent Roast Beef's, are that weird SoCal thing where they listen to a lot of rap music and it leaks into their way of speech?

Maybe it's not Southern enough.

I listen to a lot of rap music and say a lot of rap things yet I don't sound like a plantation owner.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The alt text on this one is divine.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

for some reason ray and diamond joe biden have the same voice in my head.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I listen to a lot of rap music and say a lot of rap things yet I don't sound like a plantation owner.

Well, you're not Ray? What voice do you ascribe to his mom and dad?

Roobanguy posted:

for some reason ray and diamond joe biden have the same voice in my head.

Ray is... an eccentric gentleman who can be forgiven his flaws by virtue of his Scrooge McDuck levels of money.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Fallout from a terrible arc that wanted to replicate the magical realism of previous arcs but was just completely unable to

I crave closure, so I appreciate an acknowledgment that that arc was completed offscreen rather than just forgetting about it and leaving it incomplete forever.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Is being an ex-drinker good for your bowels?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Well, being a drinker is pretty not great for them, so...

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Iowa Snow King posted:

Is being an ex-drinker good for your bowels?

Continued heavy drinking basically gives you diarrhea all the time.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Well that's way more fun than a high-fiber diet!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, you're not Ray? What voice do you ascribe to his mom and dad?

Not Foghorn Leghorn's debut rap album, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Ray always sounds in my head like a more grownup sounding Jason Mewes (like how Jason Mewes sounds nowadays vs. how he sounded in the 90s) because to me that's the voice of someone who was a sk8r d00d in the 80s and then grew up without really growing up