Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm playing with the rulers for the first time, and the queen just appeared in the middle of a dark VIP mission. Doesn't seem to be enough turns to deal with both :(

The tower was a hell of a lot of fun, and not too much trouble with some mag weapons.

edit: well the game keeps loving freezing on ruler reaction. This is abruptly not fun.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The secret to rulers is burning weapons so they take damage every reaction and just focusing them down until they run. Even on really tight missions with mandatory evac you can usually get rid of them in time to escape.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I managed to do it anyway without save-scumming, but the freezing (which I was able to get out of by saving and then loading) distracted me and caused me to forget one of my troops had been knocked unconscious by the queen. That said ... probably would not have been able to do it trying to keep that one alive. Made it with a single turn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So getting loving flashbanged doesn't remove overwatch? Seriously? :mad:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
This is what combat protocol, explosives, and stocks are for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Because of all the rebalancing and dlc changes I've been playing on veteran just to see how bad the rulers and that tower mission is. I'm expecting to have my A and B teams get wrecked by the rulers and use the mecs as slack.

Now that the dlc weapons are actually hitting things, these things aren't as broken as I thought they'd be but they're pretty good all the same.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NTT posted:

This is what combat protocol, explosives, and stocks are for.

It was literally the first mission this campaign and no one had any explosives left. Figured my high-up Sharpshooter could run it with a flash; nope, lost another one on day one (and OCD compels me to immediately restart) :mad:

[in before someone tells me height doesn't confer defense anymore]

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 3, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ciaphas posted:

[in before someone tells me height doesn't confer defense anymore]

It never did.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, with all those voicepacks of Overwatch characters, someone needs to make one of Bastion for the Sparks.

I haven't seen the Spark's full ability tree yet, but so far Overdrive seems like the best thing to put Bastion's ultimate-beepboop-charge-thingy voiceclip on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Brainamp posted:

It never did.

Not even in EU/EW?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure height only conferred a defense bonus with drat Good Ground, without that it was just an aim bonus.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well gently caress me running. :saddowns:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ciaphas posted:

Not even in EU/EW?

Flying gave the defense bonus. Height only gave an Aim bonus like Bates said.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
I was going for the "win the game before July" achievement on Commander. With four days to spare I went for the second to last mission (the tower). Pretty good gear for my three man team: a major and two captains. A pretty weak pod of a muton and a codex got gunned down really quickly and I think wow I might actually make it.

...Until the king archon shows up for the first time. :angel:

I mean I even tried to fight indoors to avoid his Devestate and Suplex move but he just burst through the wall with my beloved major like a celestial ejaculate.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ciaphas posted:

Well gently caress me running. :saddowns:

Fortunately theres a mod for it! :D

Also, heres a helpful thing. I got my robbit at the very end of the game (seriously, I just have the media tower mission left). So I was sending him solo to level up while invinicible, but it takes for goddamn ever. Trick I found now though, have the guy you are leveling up activate a few pods, sit in the center of them, and hit overwatch. You can go make coffe or something while he kills them off for you :D

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Speaking of robots, is there an INI tweak to make them repair a bit faster?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Solarflare posted:

Speaking of robots, is there an INI tweak to make them repair a bit faster?

In (whatever steam directory XCOM 2 is installed in)\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\DLC\DLC_3\Config\XComGameData.ini:

code:
[DLC_3.XComGameState_SparkManager]
BaseSparkHealRate=80
Alter to taste.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ceramic Shot posted:

I was going for the "win the game before July" achievement on Commander. With four days to spare I went for the second to last mission (the tower). Pretty good gear for my three man team: a major and two captains. A pretty weak pod of a muton and a codex got gunned down really quickly and I think wow I might actually make it.

...Until the king archon shows up for the first time. :angel:

I mean I even tried to fight indoors to avoid his Devestate and Suplex move but he just burst through the wall with my beloved major like a celestial ejaculate.
That achievement probably isn't balanced around Rulers so you'd have to turn it off somehow.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I haven't played this game since release, but I've been meaning to run through again now that all the DLC is out. I played through twice at launch, once on Veteran and once on Commander, scumming here and there, especially when the cursor would twitch as soon I click to give an order and my idiots end up jumping off their roof and running out right in front of the Muton. Should I try a low-save-scum playthrough of Veteran, since I hear some of the DLC is a big kick in difficulty?

Also, is there anything I should know regarding nerfs or buffs in the last six months? Did they ever get around to nerfing Mimic Beacon's get-out-of-jail-free card?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, select the Julian voice pack in the customization options for your spark

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lily lobotomized an ai and bound him to a machine to fight for xcom eternally and without question. that's some hardcore poo poo.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Just did Commander Ironman and got The Untouchables :D

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I really want to play again but many mods are still broken it seems. Some are saying the SDK is FUBAR at the moment too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there a way to absolutely tell if a run is going to trigger enemy overwatch, like a UI indicator or something, without "try to run it and reload if he takes a shot (even if he misses)"?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Overwatch is potentially triggered for every tile of movement, so it's about whether the overwatch can see that tile, which you can check with the LOS preview. Also, a little tidbit a modder found is that cover IS applied when overwatch is calculated, so move along cover if you must run overwatch so you can get another -20 to hit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I have this issue where xcom won't unload itself from memory. I can't start a new instance without getting rid of this old one. I can't end the process or quit steam. It did this with or without mods running. The only way to remedy is to log out of my windows account to force clear everything running.

It seems fairly common, I'm hoping someone has come across a solution here?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Alkydere posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617015579

Clean, easy to understand, has never broken on me.

Ah thanks!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Zigmidge posted:

I have this issue where xcom won't unload itself from memory. I can't start a new instance without getting rid of this old one. I can't end the process or quit steam. It did this with or without mods running. The only way to remedy is to log out of my windows account to force clear everything running.

It seems fairly common, I'm hoping someone has come across a solution here?

I often kill steam via task-manager when its doing that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maluco Marinero posted:

Overwatch is potentially triggered for every tile of movement, so it's about whether the overwatch can see that tile, which you can check with the LOS preview. Also, a little tidbit a modder found is that cover IS applied when overwatch is calculated, so move along cover if you must run overwatch so you can get another -20 to hit.

Oof, lot of effort. That seems like something a mod should be able to calculate. Wonder if the SDK gives access to the current selected pathing route and all the tiles on it so it can evaluate LOS all along the path.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Ciaphas posted:

Oof, lot of effort. That seems like something a mod should be able to calculate. Wonder if the SDK gives access to the current selected pathing route and all the tiles on it so it can evaluate LOS all along the path.

Just use the preview LOS mod, that lets you put the cursor where ever to see what a unit on that tile could see. Plan your path with that.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Why can't you put modifications on SPARK's gun? Dude really needs a scope and autoloader.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Answer: Jake Solomon

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I can't finish the new spark mission, game consistently hangs near the second set of elevators or just crashes. Seems like a common issue that doesn't have anything to do with mods judging by what people are posting on the steam forums.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Shumagorath posted:

I should also mention I haven't seen an elerium core in months so no proving grounds projects for me!

This was a solved problem in EU/EW though? I feel like it's gotten worse since launch.

LOS bugs are a fact of life in XCOM 2, but the fact that you have like 4+ screenshots from the same mission is pretty egregious. I tend to expect to see one, maybe two a mission, and they quite often don't crop up at all.

Have you verified your files recently? I've seen freaking shot to-hit percentages being fixed by that.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Just finished the new DLC's mission and I have to say, that was a very long but well-designed mission. Bet GLaDOS and Julian would really hit it off. Hope they do one more DLC.

SPARKs seem much, much cooler than SHIVs.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just did the mission where the XCOM gets grounded and ADVENT attempts to board it. Does that only happen once a campaign?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It can happen more than once if you go on long enough.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Sardonik posted:

Just finished the new DLC's mission and I have to say, that was a very long but well-designed mission. Bet GLaDOS and Julian would really hit it off. Hope they do one more DLC.

SPARKs seem much, much cooler than SHIVs.

Apparently in the Alien Rulers update, there were a bunch of references to an "XPACK" in the SDK which have since been removed with the SLG update.

So.. XCOM2: Enemy from Below vaguely confirmed?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Does the tower scale with time, or are the enemies fixed strength? I have no idea how you're supposed to fight off so many dudes otherwise. 3 health 3 armor is a pretty tall order at the beginning.

Bolt caster does the job. Shard gun does the job. Shen does the job. I didn't have heavy or sniper mag though, so they couldn't do a ton. No idea how a person can get through it with just ballistics.

I just did the nest too and it was great. A shooter with faceoff chumps the big encounter in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The enemies in the nest have 2 HP and negative 16 defense. They are 16 easier to hit than an enemy with no innate defense at all.