Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

TheFonz posted:

I am thinking of playing an MMO again. Is this a bad game?

No, it's great. That's why nobody plays it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Literally any other MMO would be a better use of your time, but your time will still be wasted playing an MMO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TheFonz posted:

The good parts are really good. The bad parts are really bad, and the bad outnumbers the good by a pretty decent margin.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You guys you should speak for yourselves, I for one love getting into a game thats about 3 months away from being shuttered.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Cool. Thanks goons.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I found Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healing to be the most entertaining, while healing in Warhammer was easily the best improvement on an archaic system. Wish more MMOs tried to make those classes more interesting.

One of the things that I *really* liked about failed MMO Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was that you had 2 different targets, an offensive target and a defensive target. It allowed you as the player to set up emergency targets ahead of time (tanks can keep the DPSer as a defensive target so he can throw a protection buff if he pulls aggro,) and gave support classes and healers an easier time if they wanted to throw out some damage. The Blood Mage class (Think of a EQ Necro/WoW warlock as a healing class) in particular had abilities that would lifetap your offensive target to directly heal/heal over time on your defensive target, essentially pulling double duty.

Vanguard failed in a lot of other ways, but man were those classes pretty unique and interesting to play for a hotbar MMO.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Warhammer had the offensive/ defensive target thing and while it was slightly fiddly it was pretty cool.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I unironically love Warhammer Age of Reckoning, but I also Like Bad Things.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Commissar Budgie posted:

Tier 1 RvR lakes and scenarios were some of the best PvP I ever played.

Shame about literally the rest of the game.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Wildstar: Overwhelmingly Unprofitable

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are expecting money for the next quarter! Wildstar officially not killed off yet

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the ncsoft board meetings when they discuss wildstar.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I wonder how the "they killed CoX for this" conspiracy theorists feel whenever the earnings get posted.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Why'd they kill it anyway? All I've read is too vague

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's happening in Q4 for guild wars?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/4qq0df/another_youtube_channel_got_sponsored_to_make_a/

Top comment:

quote:

After two years NCSoft got an idea - what if no one know about the game because there no marketing around it??? And here we go - the things they've must done long long time ago. Anyway, it is a very good tendency, because game is great and it is hard to not enjoy it.

Pretty sure people knew about Wildstar from the fact that its probably the biggest MMO trainwreck since FFXIV 1.0.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shy posted:

Why'd they kill it anyway? All I've read is too vague

I don't think they've ever given an explanation. They probably thought they could put the resources to better use.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mike12345 posted:

What's happening in Q4 for guild wars?

??? Nothing as far as I know, they expect sales to remain stable.

Originally they thought that the expansion would generate a massive influx of money but it sucked and remained relatively consistent with previous numbers.

e-I seriously dont understand how WS can keep going. Even with the massive reduction in staff they still have to be bleeding money. How many people does carbine staff right now? Like 80? Average it at 50k a head and thats 4m right there in the year just in salaries and they expect to get 5m in the whole year. Utilities, rent, taxes and other misc expenditures will take them into the red and then some.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 2, 2016

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
What is going on with GW2 these days? Ive always wanted to like that game, it does a whole lot right, but its just missing something to make it all work together. I think the incredibly shoddy instances are what killed it for me.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
No real endgame other than grinding out achievements/collections/appearances was what made me lose interest.

Loved the combat, loved the classes, loved the lore. Game was great. But there was literally no endgame.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tbf they drank some of the wildstar kool aid and gw2 has added 10 man raids (which are quite good), but that has literally been the only new content since last year. Since the majority of the player base is "casual", people are understandably upset. They've also not added any new armor sets, so there's not much for people to do these days. It's kind of like vanilla wow right now, where if you don't raid, there is no content for you.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
They're really pushing WildStar now, all the big names are making videos. I hope it works

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

No real endgame other than grinding out achievements/collections/appearances was what made me lose interest.

Loved the combat, loved the classes, loved the lore. Game was great. But there was literally no endgame.

The endgame at launch was Orr, which was the main undead place. poo poo got real tiring after a few months though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I seriously dont understand how WS can keep going. Even with the massive reduction in staff they still have to be bleeding money. How many people does carbine staff right now? Like 80? Average it at 50k a head and thats 4m right there in the year just in salaries and they expect to get 5m in the whole year. Utilities, rent, taxes and other misc expenditures will take them into the red and then some.

Yeah but that loss and expenditure is probably able to be written off at tax time for NCSoft. Once it stops being close to breaking even is when they might cut funding and kill it.

But that's just conjecture so I'm pretty much talking out of my rear end on that

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 2, 2016

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

80 staff at carbine? I would say less than 10.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Hiring Youtubers to make promotional videos is a pretty good idea. Wildstar has such a poor reputation that a regular marketing campaign just wouldnt work.

Honestly though I think the best thing they could do is the advertising equivalent of hanging out an "under new management sign!". A few interviews with the new managers about what went wrong, what theyre changing, etc etc. That kind of honest criticism of the behavior of other developers/managers just doesnt happen in game development though, so thats off the table.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rasmussen posted:

80 staff at carbine? I would say less than 10.

Nah, unless there was a firing after the march one. They fired 70 people then it was 40% of their remaining workforce. So what, around 80 people left?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I've worked on smaller teams. Not a lot of redundancy left, so losing anyone would be a bigger problem than normal, but it's still a workable team for an MMO.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Does that 80 include customer service, or is that outsourced?

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Bussamove posted:

Tier 1 RvR lakes and scenarios were some of the best PvP I ever played.

Shame about literally the rest of the game.

I really loved that one RvR scenario on the active volcano. I played a black orc, and slinging knockbacks to push people into molten death was 10/10. That was Tier 2 or 3 though, IIRC.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

TheFonz posted:

Very. If you're hankering for a MMO, play just about anything else.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I found Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healing to be the most entertaining, while healing in Warhammer was easily the best improvement on an archaic system. Wish more MMOs tried to make those classes more interesting.
Assault Rifle Leech Healing in The Secret World is the most fun I've ever had healing/supporting, and I wish there were more builds like it in other MMOs. It was especially fun when you were the only healer in a dungeon group, because then it became a MMO version of Speed: DPS fast and hard or the bus explodes and everyone dies!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
With healing/support I like clerics in Neverwinter a lot, or I did before I dropped the game because a bunch of the non-immediate-gameplay was boring, anyway. Most of the healing effects depend on tagging enemies with debuffs or proc effects that then heal nearby friendlies, and like everything else in the game it's almost all varying levels of area effect rather than specific targeting. The actual direct healing you can do is potent but runs out fast between recharges, so you only use it at strategic moments.

It goes a long way towards making you feel like Divine Proclamation Smite Guy who also heals, instead of being the Party Healing Butler.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It's kind of weird but I'll disagree with the Grognard focus being what ended up killing Wildstar. It didn't help but most of the poo poo hidden behind horrible grinds wasn't even stuff casual players would want to do.

I think horrible bugs and somewhat schizophrenic design choices are what killed it. Also I know a fuckload of high population guilds lost their poo poo when Engima got no punishment for exploiting their way to BIS pre-raid level gear and unlocking their raid grind a week early.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Commissar Budgie posted:

I really loved that one RvR scenario on the active volcano. I played a black orc, and slinging knockbacks to push people into molten death was 10/10. That was Tier 2 or 3 though, IIRC.

Pretty sure that was tier 3, tier 2 was that king of the hill nonsense- where you could still send people plummeting to their deaths off the ramps leading to the precipice.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think they've ever given an explanation. They probably thought they could put the resources to better use.

It's still not as hilarious as Tabula Rasa and NCSOFT announcing Richard Garriott had "left to pursue other ventures" while he was in goddamn space.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Yeah, the official explanation was a realigning of company focus, or some other such marketing-speak bullshit that doesn't actually say anything. Community speculation had half a dozen theories though, ranging from the mostly plausible (Killing their lowest revenue game as a scapegoat for falling stock prices - actually was GW1 at the time but GW2 had only just come out) to the outright crazy (They needed the physical hardware for Wildstar - though some of the CoH IP addresses actually were reused for it.).

Whatever the real reason was I'd imagine it still doesn't beat announcing someone was leaving while they're literally in space.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

noELrunes posted:

Wildstar: Overwhelmingly Unprofitable

What's MXM?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Largepotato posted:

What's MXM?

master x master, an upcoming moba

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Commissar Budgie posted:

I remember I came back after it went f2p and made a goblin shaman to do those arena battleground things and honestly it owned even a second time. I still have all the poo poo from the collector's edition that very very quickly became worth less money than I paid

Also whoever mentioned Age of Conan I can't believe MMOs are so bad now that I miss that game too. LoTRO is the only MMO I think is good enough to even keep on my hard drive anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Fargin Icehole posted:

The endgame at launch was Orr, which was the main undead place. poo poo got real tiring after a few months though.

Oh please that poo poo got unbearable pretty much the second you started doing it. Enemies were designed to be as annoying as possible, that entire place was horrible and probably designed by someone who really wanted you to not waste your time on that game.

• Locked thread