Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kuvo posted:

last boss of lost city hm

:staredog:

No Windbite? No Empyreal Arrow? No Sidewinder? No Rain of Death? NO VENOMOUS BITE????

Jesus christ if you're not going to use half your abilities go play a different loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

With how often he used Heavy Shot, they probably only used Straight shot like once, and only actually pushed a button every other GCD.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bet you they were using a combat macro they put together at level 25 and never bothered updating.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got to 40 on AST and am already a touch lost on cards, like which ones to RR and which to Spread and which to use right away, and later I guess I can outright redraw too. Anyone got a guide I can read on the cards?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Balance is the best card, Arrow is the second best card, and in 4-mans all the other cards are basically garbage.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Balance, Arrow, and Bole are all worth using in the obvious way. You should use them if you're going to get 20-30 seconds of use out of them; otherwise, you should Royal Road.

Spear is just so situational that you're better off Royal Roading it. I've heard that MCHs and BRDs like it because of how many cooldowns they have but I don't know how true that is, especially considering that it can gently caress with the cooldown 'alignment'.

Ewer isn't that useful until you get Gravity or if you're with a WHM that spams Holy, at which point it's super great. It doesn't work at all on DRKs in Darkside and BLMs have such expensive spells/fast regen that it won't make a difference. Could drop it on a BRD that's singing Foe's I guess.

Spire can be good for DPS that are spamming AoE attacks.

If you draw Ewer or Spire and don't have a use for it, consider just clicking them off as opposed to royal roading them, because AoE cards have reduced potency.

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 3, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vOv posted:

Ewer isn't that useful until you get Gravity or if you're with a WHM that spams Holy, at which point it's super great. It doesn't work at all on DRKs in Darkside and BLMs have such expensive spells/fast regen that it won't make a difference. Could drop it on a BRD that's singing Foe's I guess.

You're forgetting the class that can convert that ewer straight into 200 potency ruin 3s instead of spamming 80 potency ruins..

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As a dragoon I loving love the spear. Give me all the spears.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Beginning to seem like (depending on comp of course) I have very few reasons to royal road (or at least fewer than I was doing), then, assuming we're moving at a decent clip (especially if ewer/spire road is a nono--and I just noticed it literally halves the effect so yeah probably a nono). Thanks, that should help me do a bit better at this.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 3, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cards are fun and I like receiving them. Thanks astrologians!

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I like receiving cards when that card is Balance. It's very balanced.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
There's a black mage hummelfaust parse where they received an ewer and their team proceeded to let the black mage do 18 flares on both fausts with it. Pretty good card.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MohShuvuu posted:

There's a black mage hummelfaust parse where they received an ewer and their team proceeded to let the black mage do 18 flares on both fausts with it. Pretty good card.

... huh, I hadn't even thought of that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The game is 50% on Steam now. If I'm not entirely sure I'll continue playing past the first month, is there any point in paying extra for the Heavensward expansion?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Renoistic posted:

The game is 50% on Steam now. If I'm not entirely sure I'll continue playing past the first month, is there any point in paying extra for the Heavensward expansion?

no

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Renoistic posted:

For a fresh experience of FFXIV Heavensward offers the following:

code:
* be a waifish dragongirl with skin issues
* be a anime2damaxx dragonboi with skin issues

In case you decide to play further than what one month allows and still want to be a dragon person, you can buy the expansion and a cash shop item to edit your character looks into one. You get one of these items for free after one month paid (i.e. Not your first month) game time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Renoistic posted:

In addition to people pointing out that HW is pointless until you hit level 50, it's worth noting that Square considers Steam a separate platform to PC, so if you buy the game on Steam, you can only buy HW and any future expansions on Steam (unless you rebuy the PC version from Square's store), and those get discounted a lot less often than the non-Steam versions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Renoistic posted:

Don't buy the game on steam. Buy the game on Amazon or something, they cut their prices to match Steam during steam sales.

You will save yourself the trouble down the road if you wish to stay with the game, as Steam license key means you have to buy the expansion through steam, and any future expansions through steam. And if there are discounts to be had from the e-tailer of your choice for those future expansions by preorder or whatnot, you will be out of luck because you cannot redeem those with the Steam version. Steam version is treated as a platform on its own, like a pseudo-console, yet not.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
For all that people keep parroting the same thing about Steam, if a discount of $10-20 on something you might have to purchase every two years is a deal-breaker, you should probably avoid subscription-based MMOs entirely.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:ocelot::vince:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Spire is still useful in dungeon content. Feed it to a melee class that's doing AoE dps and they'll love you for it. I was playing DRG in 50dr constantly using doom spike on big pulls. The AST and Ninja kept using spire and goad on me so I basically could keep going forever.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there really no way to get a parser for my PS4? When I see complaints of low DPS, I'd like to know who was responsible. Especially on the off chance it's me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SonicRulez posted:

Is there really no way to get a parser for my PS4? When I see complaints of low DPS, I'd like to know who was responsible. Especially on the off chance it's me.

Correct.

You can use Stone, Sea, Sky, however, to get a pretty good gauge of how you're doing. If you can't clear some of the savage ones at i230+, then perhaps your DPS is lagging and you should look to improve it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correct.

You can use Stone, Sea, Sky, however, to get a pretty good gauge of how you're doing. If you can't clear some of the savage ones at i230+, then perhaps your DPS is lagging and you should look to improve it.

I doubt it's me. I tried the Nidhogg EX one once and I got it down to 5%, but my finger slipped and I missed a Trick Attack in there. So I count that as a win. It's more about me wishing I could figure a way to kick lovely people from a farm party. Two people at different points in the night joined as newbies. We get in and everyone sees bonus and it's instant chaos. Even if the newbie does fine, it's jarring.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

SonicRulez posted:

I doubt it's me. I tried the Nidhogg EX one once and I got it down to 5%, but my finger slipped and I missed a Trick Attack in there. So I count that as a win. It's more about me wishing I could figure a way to kick lovely people from a farm party. Two people at different points in the night joined as newbies. We get in and everyone sees bonus and it's instant chaos. Even if the newbie does fine, it's jarring.

Nid ex is a really easy dps check, if you're not clearing it at i230 you should probably look into improving

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Note that you can easily fail the add phase if you're a dummy and blow all your cool downs on nidhogg.

It's me, the idiot that burns raging strikes, aetherflow stacks and DWT to push him to 80%.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bonewitch posted:

Nid ex is a really easy dps check, if you're not clearing it at i230 you should probably look into improving

Improving how exactly? Is there some kind of time you're meant to have left over after beating it? The add phase is probably the easiest part of Nidhogg. I've only ever died there if a tank screws up.

hobbesmaster posted:

Note that you can easily fail the add phase if you're a dummy and blow all your cool downs on nidhogg.

It's me, the idiot that burns raging strikes, aetherflow stacks and DWT to push him to 80%.

I learned that eventually. Gotta have a Suiton ready for the one dude that can't be aggro'd and has his own dick agenda.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I do all my cooldowns 'normally' aside from not using Enochian during the post-Super Jump section because I won't have it up for the first Akh Morn, and Akh Morn is the only time in the final phase where I can actually do my rotation properly.

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 3, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SonicRulez posted:

Improving how exactly? Is there some kind of time you're meant to have left over after beating it? The add phase is probably the easiest part of Nidhogg. I've only ever died there if a tank screws up.

I learned that eventually. Gotta have a Suiton ready for the one dude that can't be aggro'd and has his own dick agenda.

Improving by focusing on your rotation, cooldown usage, etc. At i230 you should be able to beat the SSS for pretty much everything up to A6S without too much trouble. I think that you can get pretty close if not clear A8S SSS at i230, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I just put on my mini-max gear set that I use for synced dungeons (basically no accuracy all substats) and a 230 spear to end up at i228. I was able to clear the A8S SSS with 7 seconds left with that setup. Now, I'm a tryhard and can't expect everyone to play like I do. However, if you're struggling to clear a nidex SSS, you should try to find out where you can improve.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 3, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

vOv posted:

If you draw Ewer or Spire and don't have a use for it, consider just clicking them off as opposed to royal roading them, because AoE cards have reduced potency.

4-8 people with Balance are going to do more damage than 1 person with an enhanced Balance, I feel like this is bad advice. How much is it reduced by?

Balance, Arrow, Bole, are all good cards that you want to cast immediately, or preferably hold for later buffed use.
Spear is mostly poo poo to cast, unless you're right at the beginning of a fight. Don't waste a held RR buff on Spear.
RR Spires, Ewers are 50/50, they can be worth casting on some classes (see above discussion) or yourself if you're dpsing.

Remember to cast your buff-extending skill when you put a good card on someone useful. (and usually slap a benefic on before that just to have it rolling.) Extended Boles last forever and you have a lot more room for healer DPS while it's running, for example.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Are any of the catch-up LS still active on Excalibur? Still 5 weeks away from getting the Lore weapon so my only reasonable upgrade is the Sephirot weapon and DF/PF has been nothing but trainwreck after trainwreck that can't even make it to adds.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

mistaya posted:

4-8 people with Balance are going to do more damage than 1 person with an enhanced Balance, I feel like this is bad advice. How much is it reduced by?

50%, I think? Actually I just remembered that you can click off the Royal Road buff, so you might as well RR it and then click it off if you get something it's not useful for on your next draw.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mistaya posted:

Balance, Arrow, Bole, are all good cards that you want to cast immediately, or preferably hold for later buffed use.
Spear is mostly poo poo to cast, unless you're right at the beginning of a fight. Don't waste a held RR buff on Spear.
RR Spires, Ewers are 50/50, they can be worth casting on some classes (see above discussion) or yourself if you're dpsing.

Remember to cast your buff-extending skill when you put a good card on someone useful. (and usually slap a benefic on before that just to have it rolling.) Extended Boles last forever and you have a lot more room for healer DPS while it's running, for example.

A 4-man balance can be tricky, because I don't count my entire time as dps, and one dps class might benefit more from 10-15% increase rather than everyone at 5 (if a summoner hits dreadworm trance, or someone else pops cooldowns, I'd rather single them out). Plus there's a good chance one of the dps in the group is useless. 8-man is different though.

I normally royal road Boles, unless I know there's a pull coming up where the defensive power will count, or I'm expecting a tank buster soon - I like the 150% effect with enhanced, and I wouldn't waste a Balance. I run OOM the entire time, so if I draw an Ewer I'm probably chugging it myself. You should be able to find a use for Ewer 100% of the time, unless for some reason you're saving a RR and can't hold it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The past few weeks since 3.3 have convinced me that there definitely needs to be some form of dps parser within the game. It's incredibly obvious when a tank or healer is underperforming, but it's only apparent that a dps class isn't doing their job if they fail mechanics. The result is that tanks and healers get a lot of abuse from lovely dps when things go poorly. At the same time, it's not immediately obvious when a dps class is performing exceptionally well, so lovely tanks and healers treat them like the scum of the earth. A lot of people think that adding a dps parser will create a "toxic" community, but I think the lack of a parser creates one just as well.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 3, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Don't forget to take advantage of the Amazon promo if you haven't yet, it ends tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Connection is actually a big issue. I lose dps if I'm not using WTFast. It's frustrating to play sometimes without it. With it I've got usually a 50ms ping and few dropped packets so life is good and the game is really easy and fun to play. Without it, I'm slower and constantly waiting for things like combos to trigger and I can't double stack my cooldowns at all without major clipping on my GCD. I hate that I have to pay for a service to play the game well, but it makes so much of a difference for me that I don't give a gently caress about it.

Edit: Note that I am a tryhard and have been running with the same static for over two years now god I'm a nerd what have I done with my life.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Edit: Note that I am a tryhard and have been running with the same static for over two years now god I'm a nerd what have I done with my life.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Nice! posted:

However, if you're struggling to clear a nidex SSS, you should try to find out where you can improve.

'ang on, now. I only tried it once and I slipped a button. I wouldn't call that struggling. I'd call that being a dork. I'm i225. Dunno if there's really much difference between that and i230. Grinding capped stones isn't hard, but boy is it monotonous.

GB_Sign posted:

Are any of the catch-up LS still active on Excalibur? Still 5 weeks away from getting the Lore weapon so my only reasonable upgrade is the Sephirot weapon and DF/PF has been nothing but trainwreck after trainwreck that can't even make it to adds.

I would also be interested in this. I never got to finish Thordan or Sephirot EX.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

The past few weeks since 3.3 have convinced me that there definitely needs to be some form of dps parser within the game. It's incredibly obvious when a tank or healer is underperforming, but it's only apparent that a dps class isn't doing their job if they fail mechanics. The result is that tanks and healers get a lot of abuse from lovely dps when things go poorly. At the same time, it's not immediately obvious when a dps class is performing exceptionally well, so lovely tanks and healers treat them like the scum of the earth. A lot of people think that adding a dps parser will create a "toxic" community, but I think the lack of a parser creates one just as well.

I'm assuming this is an unsourced OF quote? It's so hard to tell these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao source your quotes goon sire XD

• Locked thread