Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Or Pharah, when she's not just hopping up and shooting at Reinhardt from above. Hell, I just pour fire on it as Soldier and it collapses faster than you'd think. Winston and Symmetra can both shoot right through it too.

The trick is to pinpoint your concussive blast and split the reinhardt up from his team. Though once in a while he'll take getting popped into your team's front line as an invitation to use his ult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

piratepilates posted:

And I almost put this in the whining thread but I don't think I should be that upset by it: Genji's reflect hitbox actually seems to be realllly wide. I threw a flash bang far to the side of him thinking it'd stun him without being reflect but no, that seems impossible.

I actually wonder if it would be worth considering from a balance tweak standpoint if Genji couldn't reflect McCree's flashbang. If McCree is supposed to be an "anti-flanker" then it would help him deal with Genjis easier without having to go back and keep trying to tweak his damage to find some magical middle ground between "great at killing low-mid health characters" and "accidentally shreds tanks."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

im just teasing ya but no rein's shield is p drat ok

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Congrats you really sucked the fun out of the game for at least 6 people.

I'm sorry that you hate the idea of a comeback victory. Me and my team were basically confessing our undying love for each other at the end of the round so clearly we all had a good time and I don't see why I should just lay down, die and let my team down for the ego of a bunch of assholes who literally called me a friend of the family over losing a casual video game match.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Overtime is dumb but as long as they leave it in you should absolutely make the most of it and be the biggest Tracer jerk you possibly can.

Winning is good, and demonstrating to Blizzard that their mechanic sucks and has unpleasant consequences is also good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Overtime is dumb but as long as they leave it in you should absolutely make the most of it and be the biggest Tracer jerk you possibly can.

Winning is good, and demonstrating to Blizzard that their mechanic sucks and has unpleasant consequences is also good.

Yeah I mean, this is how games work. The three potential routes you can go in response are:

A). Establish gentlemens' agreements with the people you play not to do thing X or Y, note that this never works to anyone's satisfaction

B). Accept that this is, as it stands, a fundamental aspect of the game and if you want to win then you need to incorporate that into your strategies and expectations, or

C). Not play until it gets changed, if it gets changed.

I can see where the Overtime mechanic as it's currently implemented is frustrating. I've also had some really fun, tense matches where Overtime lasted as long as the entire leadup to OT and found it enjoyable even when we lost. I do think it shouldn't be as easy to cheese OT as it is, but to be perfectly honest my least enjoyable Overwatch experiences have simply been when I get stomped all over by someone leagues above my skill level regardless of my attempts to counter-pick and we get relentlessly steamrolled, so personally I'd take any number of drawn out OT matches win or lose over another one-sided massacre.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm sorry that you hate the idea of a comeback victory. Me and my team were basically confessing our undying love for each other at the end of the round so clearly we all had a good time and I don't see why I should just lay down, die and let my team down for the ego of a bunch of assholes who literally called me a friend of the family over losing a casual video game match.

Yeah whatever how about your xp/hour though??

Not so fun now is it

I'm joking and you get the most experience out of match time anyway so good on you for fighting back.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Actually Overtime is good and I hope Blizz never removes it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they won't remove it but they'll probably change it since it leads to no hero limit comp matches becoming unwatchable on koth

jjac posted:

Yeah whatever how about your xp/hour though??

Not so fun now is it

I'm joking and you get the most experience out of match time anyway so good on you for fighting back.

they removed the score stat so you can't even check your spm anymore!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Congrats you really sucked the fun out of the game for at least 6 people.
if they wanted to have fun, they should have killed him better

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Overtime is great and it lets climactic last second battles actually play out instead of fizzling out half way through which leads to tense and exciting finishes. It'd be fine if they made it stricter but it is great and removing it would be dumb.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

They should lengthen the overtime timer a little bit but then make it only pause when there's people contesting the point, rather than reset

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

:shrug: I guess I'm in the minority here then. I also hate winning games on defence where they streamroll us through the rest of the map but we manage to defend the last point for 8 minutes through throwing ourselves at the point and making it a painful slog for the other team. Feels like I'm roleplaying The Great War.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it could pause for a second, then slowly refill rather than instantly go back to max whenever someone touches it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

piratepilates posted:

:shrug: I guess I'm in the minority here then. I also hate winning games on defence where they streamroll us through the rest of the map but we manage to defend the last point for 8 minutes through throwing ourselves at the point and making it a painful slog for the other team. Feels like I'm roleplaying The Great War.

I don't find matches like that as satisfying, admittedly, because falling back to the spawn basically means that you have a handicap working in your favor but it also means that the other team had eight minutes to take the situation into account and work out something to crack your defenses and failed to, and that's part of the game too. I've been on the receiving end of being stymied on the last point in a fair few games now, especially Numbani and Gibraltar, but every time it happens I've had plenty of time to switch out characters if poo poo isn't working and I need to, say, abandon Reaper for Pharah or something, and so when we make it and get held off I don't really feel like I've got anyone to blame but myself.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

piratepilates posted:

Overwatch Last Point Syndrome is seriously one of my least favorite things about the game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overtime is fun in pubs but makes real competitive matches worse because they involve organized teams taking advantage of everything they can to win rather than random strangers/groups of friends who are only coordinated enough to mention that the reaper went behind you

I don't think it's that big a deal in 1 hero limit comp but blizzard doesn't want that to be the official way to play competitively in overwatch

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I don't find matches like that as satisfying, admittedly, because falling back to the spawn basically means that you have a handicap working in your favor but it also means that the other team had eight minutes to take the situation into account and work out something to crack your defenses and failed to, and that's part of the game too. I've been on the receiving end of being stymied on the last point in a fair few games now, especially Numbani and Gibraltar, but every time it happens I've had plenty of time to switch out characters if poo poo isn't working and I need to, say, abandon Reaper for Pharah or something, and so when we make it and get held off I don't really feel like I've got anyone to blame but myself.
Also remember that the handicap started out on their side, not neutral. The closer you are to your spawn, the bigger your advantage is. Losing when they have the advantage and then winning when you have the advantage is absolutely normal.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 3, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Holy poo poo why do people who randomly queue up have some golden handbooks I never got

1- Reaper must be on every team
2- Every hero for themselves. Reinhardt? Just charge in without support You do have a shield afterall
3- Healing is lame, just use zenyatta go ahead of the group and ATTACK
4- Have to attack a point? Ok better use Hanzo.
5- Hanzo is on the team? Better also slap a widowmaker on. Two snipers beat one. Especially to attack. They'll never see us coming.
6- Why JUST use these icewalls to block turrets and put them in front of the payload to prevent enemies from jumping on it and immediately halting it? I'd much rather trap my teammates and block their ults lol.
7- Hmm, Better put this turret in the most easily accesible area in the level, like right in front of the enemies spawn. I mean they even reduced the damage on console, I wanna keep the playing field even
8- Hmm, 3 meters from the payloads last point? Better keep trying to fight this funny reaper guy who is entirely in the opposite direction. Maybe I'll even t-bag him when I'm done. Not like there's a timer, or objective.
9- Whoa, the payloads near the end, better have a 5 on 1 fight away from the payload :downs: while the rest of the team picks you off 1 by 1.

I'm not even very good at this game but holy poo poo, some of it is so bad its funny.
Some is just sad.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 3, 2016

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Manatee Cannon posted:

overtime is fun in pubs but makes real competitive matches worse because they involve organized teams taking advantage of everything they can to win rather than random strangers/groups of friends who are only coordinated enough to mention that the reaper went behind you

I don't think it's that big a deal in 1 hero limit comp but blizzard doesn't want that to be the official way to play competitively in overwatch

Well it's also the kind of thing that is definitely going to get looked at after the game has had at least a few months to expand and play out. One nice side effect of Blizzard treating their games as services is that they aren't afraid to make fundamental mechanical overhauls of their games, just don't hold your breath waiting though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SectumSempra posted:

Holy poo poo why do people who randomly queue up have some golden handbooks I never got

2- Every hero for themselves. Reinhardt? Just charge in without support You do have a shield afterall

Chances are the Reinhardt's assuming you lot are actually following him, because even in third-person view Reinhardt can't see poo poo behind him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nihilarian posted:

Also remember that the handicap started out on their side, not neutral. The closer you are to your spawn, the bigger your advantage is. Losing when they have the advantage and then winning when you have the advantage is absolutely normal.

Probably the worst games I've played out of 600-some have been the ones where my team can't even get the payload on, say, Gibraltar to the first checkpoint. One of my placement games (solo queue) was five minutes of being spawncamped by an extremely coordinated team using Mercy/Pharah, Bastion, Reaper, Rein, and I can't remember who else to obliterate everyone, while the one person besides myself using voicecomms was doing so simply to idly remark on how badly we were getting our asses kicked in Spongebobian wonder.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Solo-queued some casual matches, got Hamanura, and owned bones.

-D: put Torb's turret at that corner to the right of the main gate, and racked up a 17 killstreak.

-A: went Lucio, and we managed to blitz them down in ~3 minutes. Then got to watch them all quit at the score screen.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

SectumSempra posted:

7- Hmm, Better put this turret in the most easily accesible area in the level, like right in front of the enemies spawn. I mean they even reduced the damage on console, I wanna keep the playing field even

The point of this is to slow down or damage the enemy team, possibly assist in a kill or two. If it's the start of the round the Torb has enough time to get back to the point and build a new turret immediately, so there is no harm in doing this and you get ult charge.

Also Torb hasn't been nerfed on console yet, I don't know why they would launch competitive without doing so though...

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

Highest I've seen is 253. At launch, I liked looking at the hours of people with insanely high levels and doing the math on how much Overwatch they need to play per day to reach that level. Best I got was a level ~150 on week 2 who had more hours in Overwatch clocked per day than a full time job.

https://www.twitch.tv/moonmoon_ow

this guy is 313 atm. I was wondering if he was highest leveled.

Proposition Joe posted:

The point of this is to slow down or damage the enemy team, possibly assist in a kill or two. If it's the start of the round the Torb has enough time to get back to the point and build a new turret immediately, so there is no harm in doing this and you get ult charge.

Also Torb hasn't been nerfed on console yet, I don't know why they would launch competitive without doing so though...

Ah didn't happen yet. (it was the wrong solution and won't stop the issues people had countering it, and will likely make stacked ones MORE common)

See, while i agree with you.

They did this and stood there hitting it with a hammer till they and the turret died.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 3, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Chances are the Reinhardt's assuming you lot are actually following him, because even in third-person view Reinhardt can't see poo poo behind him.

Fair point I guess.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Proposition Joe posted:

You know what's even better?

Putting the turret in a place where it's got a lot of coverage over a wide area (and/or a chokepoint) AND is at least kind of a pain in the rear end for the attackers to get to. You're practically guaranteed to get a faster ult charge than building two turrets, and you're not essentially leaving your team down a man for a solid few seconds while you're upgrading the second.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I will be honest, I have trouble making effective use of Reinhardt's shield as another player. If I'm playing someone like Soldier 76 and a Rein is holding his shield up I try to stick close to it so I can do the whole mobile cover thing, but I find my ability to effectively track targets stymied by a fuckin huge German man in power armor taking up a good chunk of my vision, and if I back up enough to get better field of vision I get headshot by the Widowmaker across the way or something.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

The main use for his shield, for me as my characters has been various things.

1-The guy who helps us destroy symmetras car washes.

2-The guy who locks a turrets focus for someone else to destroy it while he's locked on

3-It can be used against bad snipers but its not entirely invincible. Helps find their location.

Symmetra is a drat decent counter for a Reinhardt confused on whether to shield or attack. And Her charged attack hits him through it, and can go through his shield so watch for those while using it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

SectumSempra posted:

See, while i agree with you.

They did this and stood there hitting it with a hammer till they and the turret died.

Well yes, if they're playing like the TF2 engineer then they're terrible and you have every right to complain.

Regalingualius posted:

You know what's even better?

Putting the turret in a place where it's got a lot of coverage over a wide area (and/or a chokepoint) AND is at least kind of a pain in the rear end for the attackers to get to. You're practically guaranteed to get a faster ult charge than building two turrets, and you're not essentially leaving your team down a man for a solid few seconds while you're upgrading the second.

This is highly dependent on the map I think. On Hanamura you can set up your turret to assist your team as they sit in the chokepoint while you lob shots at the enemy from where you want to set up your second turret. If you're on King's Row or Volskaya where there is a very short distance between the attackers' spawn and the choke point then it would be a very poor strategy.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I think best point in Hanamura is actually (facing starting point of attacking team) to the right of the bell, but just at the very edge of the door towards the back. It has an ENORMOUS amount of range and is hard a poo poo to hit if the attacking team doesn't use the back way, and even when they do, you can simply have another teammate help you defend it or stand towards the front of the same little area and shot gun whoever is trying to hit it.

But yeah sometimes leaving a few easily killed turrets around to soften up tracers and such along with gaining scrap for armor is a decent idea.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I thought sudden death was overtime in the tryhard thread, but you guys are talking about overtime anyways, so uh, here's what I think about overtime! And now you have to read it, you jerks!

It's a nerve-wracking climax for both teams, but all the defending team needs is an ult or two to clear the area, then to set up to interdict just outside the point or payload or what have you. It puts the losing team at a disadvantage but gives them the chance to come back from the brink, so even if you have had a bad start you have the chance to rearrange your strategy and go for the hail mary, which encourages players to get better RIGHT THERE, instead of saving for the next match. I do agree that playing touch rear end with the point can be annoying, so I'd be ok with a steadily shrinking sudden death timer for attack/defense maps, but 10-20% as one person suggested is too fast. I think 1-5% percent per reset provided the timer got below 1/3 before the reset would be ok, closer to 1% I think. You wouldn't actually need much knocked off the timer to make the losing side of sudden death a doomed effort. I'm not sure how you'd manage it for a koth where both teams are at 99%, I think seperate timers for each team would be complicated and confusing.

tl;dr: It makes the end of every match a desperate climax, and keeps the losing team from bailing at the first sign of adversity, because they are still going to have a chance regardless.

edit: not related! -> Oh god you're going to send me back to loving kindergarten, aren't you? :ohdear: They won't let me swear there!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am pretty sure the normal OT timer shrinks faster as the OT fight drags on. Like early on it might drain in 5 seconds but you get less and less room for error as the attackers if the fight just keeps going. It definitely goes down to like 3 seconds after some period of time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

SectumSempra posted:

The main use for his shield, for me as my characters has been various things.

1-The guy who helps us destroy symmetras car washes.

2-The guy who locks a turrets focus for someone else to destroy it while he's locked on

3-It can be used against bad snipers but its not entirely invincible. Helps find their location.

Symmetra is a drat decent counter for a Reinhardt confused on whether to shield or attack. And Her charged attack hits him through it, and can go through his shield so watch for those while using it.

To your point about Reinhardt charging in, I've started playing him a lot in pub games it's really hit or miss whether people will actually take advantage of your shield. It's really frustrating to watch the get picked of one by one by not taking cover when warranted.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

D.Va 1, bad guys 0

https://gfycat.com/BogusFakeImperatorangel

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

FAUXTON posted:

I am pretty sure the normal OT timer shrinks faster as the OT fight drags on. Like early on it might drain in 5 seconds but you get less and less room for error as the attackers if the fight just keeps going. It definitely goes down to like 3 seconds after some period of time.

I haven't noticed this, actually. Do you have any idea what kind of time frame it takes to get to three seconds?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vorebane posted:

I haven't noticed this, actually. Do you have any idea what kind of time frame it takes to get to three seconds?

About as long as it takes you to say one hippopotamus, two hippopotamus, three hippopotamus.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I think there was a gif that sold me on Overwatch, and that was a play of a match (Winston) screen that cut to a Smash Bros game where Donkey Kong rails the absolute gently caress out of some nerd.

Revelant
Jul 27, 2007

Ask me about my male escort services. 30% Discounts for Goons.
How I got the 4 kill reflect achievement

https://gfycat.com/SerpentineGroundedGnu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Genji, is that weird goggle and floaty robe skin meant to be a specific reference?