Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Is there a reason they didn't just do Steam Workshop, and instead, looked at the abomination that was the KSP mod portal, and said "HELL YES LETS DO THAT?"

Because they also sell the game to non-steam users, and need to allow them access to mods too?
That's what they stated anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

Is there a reason they didn't just do Steam Workshop, and instead, looked at the abomination that was the KSP mod portal, and said "HELL YES LETS DO THAT?"

Apparently they wanted to use their own and tie it in with the MP server finding plus their authentication theme. They also didn't want to use Steam only due to non steam customers (like the KSP argument). Maybe they'll change to workshop some time but I doubt it given the MP/mod integration they're doing.

I went to finish the locomotive achievement today and missed by 1 minute. I had a lovely base going but wasted too much time laying things out and getting it all automatic. So I reloaded the save from last night at 27 minutes and finished at 57 minutes - save a lot of time if you don't care what it looks like and live out of boxes. Point to note if you try it yourself: you have to put the loco onto rails for it to acknowledge the achievement. Slap down 5 or 6 rails and plonk your loco on it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They also refuse to go on sale so a walled garden mod portal is pitch perfect for business development plans circa 2009.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

They also refuse to go on sale so a walled garden mod portal is pitch perfect for business development plans circa 2009.

I do wonder if it's a bit of business misstep. Then again, they were pretty successful for years with apparently zero marketing, so who knows!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think another big reason is if a workshop author pulls a mod, it gets auto removed from your files at next sync. This could royally gently caress your savegame.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think they're very business savvy. They've stuck to their $20.00 price point instead of going with $19.99. They don't do sales, they whine about government grants for game development.

If everyone operated the same way as them, they might be okay, but when people are using all the cool marketing/business tricks, they've really got to step up their game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think they're very business savvy. They've stuck to their $20.00 price point instead of going with $19.99. They don't do sales, they whine about government grants for game development.

If everyone operated the same way as them, they might be okay, but when people are using all the cool marketing/business tricks, they've really got to step up their game.

To be fair, the game isn't finished yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they go more in on marketing once they get closer to 1.0

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd say for a couple guys who've done zero marketing. Making several million dollars is pretty good.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also the idea that you can buy early and be sure to get the lowest price might be valuable for developers looking to do future early access funded games. If you can look at Factorio and like the idea of their new game, you might be more likely to buy early access if you didn't feel like you had to wait for a better deal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ModeSix posted:

I'd say for a couple guys who've done zero marketing. Making several million dollars is pretty good.
They've made their money by putting out the rare case of a unique and good product, which is good for them. They are leaving a lot of money on the table by saying business development comes tomorrow. Which is their prerogative since they are fully funded to keep tinkering away at their leisure, but doesn't make them look any less naive.

Its like you can launch a rocket by going full logistics network once its unlocked, but its super weird compared to belt based factories.

Pocket_Pool
Aug 12, 2003
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, the underground belts are painted to indicate the direction they move materials. How did I just notice that?!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
They should have a 0.5% discount next steam sale so the game is $19.99

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The factorio server is a bear to setup. I did finally get it running well. Admittedly, 30 minutes of the ~2 hours getting it working were trying to figure out why my port forwarding didn't work on my new router. Turns out I forwarded the port, but didn't actually open it in the firewall. About an hour of that time was figuring out that it just doesn't like a client connecting to the localhost, which I assume is something with the way they setup their UDP sockets. I moved the server to my wife's computer and it's fine.

Lastly, the user verification is lame when playing via steam (where you likely didn't ever create a factorio.com account) doesn't count as verified, but luckily I figured out how to turn that off. It was kind of silly to tell my friends who bought the game on steam that they now need to go create an account and link it to steam.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Copy and pasted from the steam forums:

quote:

Changes for .13.3
Slightly reduced big electric pole collision box to allow squeezing between big pole and accumulator.
Increased the distance between items on the belt from 0.28 to 0.28125. This way the the circuit network pulse for items will be every 9/4.5/3 ticks for normal/fast/express compressed belts.

Gui
Only games with the same application version are displayed in Browse Games screen.
Removed tabs from Browse Games and Browse Mods screens and tweaked column widths.

Bugfixes
Fixed mods directory not being created when installing mods
Fixed lab bonus speed not showing correctly in the bonus GUI sometimes.
Fixed crash related to killed flamethrower turrets in ghost mode.
Fixed that the game crashed in the user login dialog when the steam connection was not available.
Yet another research window resizing fix.
Fixed desync related to building-while-moving underground belts and pipe-to-ground.
Fixed Steel chest recipe in New hope mission 02.
Fixed projectiles with negative accelerations 'hitting' at the incorrect position.
Fixed bug related to building/removing poles connected to network with power switch.
Fixed that some items seemed to be repairable in multiplayer.
Fixed that modules could get lost when upgrading them.
Fixed timezone issues with the browse mods gui.

I love the quick patches. This is one every few days at this rate.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 3, 2016

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Is there a way to move the guns/armor/ammo box to the bottom-left? Since the new patch added buttons above the minimap it's made it impossible to see stats on some buildings since they go behind the guns box.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

DelphiAegis posted:

Copy and pasted from the steam forums:

I love the quick patches. This is one every few days at this rate.

Is that .13.3 or is there a .13.4?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

Yes, sorry. Edited.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Lynx Winters posted:

Is there a way to move the guns/armor/ammo box to the bottom-left? Since the new patch added buttons above the minimap it's made it impossible to see stats on some buildings since they go behind the guns box.

you can set the size of the GUI, I have mine set to 90% and everything is still fine

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

GotLag I really miss your near / side inserters mod, just so you know.

Updated!
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Side%20Inserters
No more custom entities, items, or recipe spam in the crafting menu, just place any regular inserter and use SHIFT+R to change where it picks up from!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ElatedWaryHarpyeagle.webm

Haven't done the near version yet.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 3, 2016

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

GotLag posted:

Updated!
No more custom entities, items, or recipe spam in the crafting menu, just place any regular inserter and use SHIFT+R to change where it picks up from!

Haven't done the near version yet.
Well now that's just awesome.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:getin:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated, now also has a key to toggle near/far drop location, i.e. which lane of the belt it inserts to.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

:swoon:

Thank you so much, really love this mod and all the ridiculous load-balancing belt spaghetti is saves.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Now let us have the option to have the inserter pick up from the near side of a belt and place on the far side, or vice versa.

Only mostly kidding, but seriously, that mod is amazing.

Orrrr, have the inserter be a crazy conglomeration of a near and far inserter, and pick up from a close belt and place on a far one, on the same side. That could have all sorts of uses...

Now I'm imagining some sort of construct that hovers over two belts and transfers part of the contents off onto two sides of a third belt at inserter speed. A triple wide inserter splitter, if you will, except it just takes from belt 1 and 2 and puts them on each side of belt 3 while letting belts 1 and 2 continue on.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 3, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chp2nOOdkIQ

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ambaire posted:

Now let us have the option to have the inserter pick up from the near side of a belt and place on the far side, or vice versa.
Sadly it's not possible. No matter how you try to specify the pickup location, they will always pick up from anywhere in that 1x1 tile area. If you try to make it drop in the far side of the same tile it picks up from, it will then immediately pick up the dropped item, and then put it right back where it grabbed it from, ad infinitum.

Fake edit: on second thought it may be possible now, with the behaviour of stack inserters. I'll try to remember to play around with it later.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What about a part two tiles long that sits inline with a belt and swaps the left and right sides of the belt? Like an underground belt entrance and exit where belted items exit on the opposite side of the belt.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
New sample video showing both functions:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WarpedPeriodicAmurratsnake.webm

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does the shorter animation translate to side inserters having higher throughput?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yes, but the way that stack bonuses now also apply to belts means the effect is not as pronounced as it was in 0.12, so I don't feel like it's necessary to slow rotation speed.

I should also mention that copying and pasting settings includes pickup and insert positions, and blueprints also save these settings.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

GotLag posted:

Updated, now also has a key to toggle near/far drop location, i.e. which lane of the belt it inserts to.

This is the best thing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GotLag posted:

This is the mod I never knew I needed. This could simplify so much!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

Not even a day later, 0.13.4 has been released:

Factorio 0.13.4 posted:

Changes
  • For performance reasons: latency state blueprint building is automatically disabled if building blueprints with a combined total of more than 300 entities + tiles.
  • Player names are now shown in the description pane instead of just "player". (28004)

Bugfixes
  • Fixed the "No such node (application_version)" error when starting a headless server
  • Fixed modules could get into assembling machines that didn't allow them for the current recipe. (27875)
  • Fixed desync when holding most rotatable items for building in the latency state. (27880)
  • Fixed build-by-moving logic for underground belts and underground pipes. (27446)
  • Fixed construction robots grabbing items from the player cursor and trying to use them as repair packs. (27848)
  • Fixed killed entities not keeping modules to-be-delivered in some cases. (27937)
  • Fixed headless server being counted as a player for the player limit. (27894)
  • Fixed crash when belts would die due in some instances. (27868)
  • Fixed Lua GUI events getting fired before the actual GUI element was modified. (27536)
  • Fixed crash when getting killed by a locomotive you currently had the GUI open for. (27895)
  • Fixed fluid temperature restricted recipes didn't work when fluid flowed in from the left side of the machine.
  • Fixed server crashing when starting a LAN game with no internet connection. (27953)
  • Fixed crash when modded walls didn't have a definition for connected gate visualization.
  • Fixed energy bar on battery equipment. (27983)
  • Fixed bonus GUI size issues with lots of entities using the bonuses. (27712)
  • Fixed mod hotkeys not working when you'd have more than 1. (28024)

Scripting
  • LuaEntity::built_by can be used with ghosts if the inner ghost supports built_by. (27769)
  • LuaEntity::recipe can be read off furnaces as well as assembling machines.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

update posted:

LuaEntity::built_by can be used with ghosts if the inner ghost supports built_by. (27769)

my inner ghost is very powerful and supports many things

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

• Fixed crash when getting killed by a locomotive you currently had the GUI open for.
This game has the best bugs

quote:

• Fixed mod hotkeys not working when you'd have more than 1.
To be pedantic they worked when you had more than one, they just didn't show up in the menu. Or sometimes they crashed your game when you tried to load the menu.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

GotLag posted:

Getting 'No loader found for "custom-input"' when I try to start with this mod in my mod directory. Even if it is the only mod.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is there some trick to placing Electric Switches or am I getting some interference from a mod? I can't place them at all.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Just played through the demo of this and really like it. Are my 20 bucks still well-spent on steam, or should I grab it off some other platform for mod-compatibility and whatnot?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just played through the demo of this and really like it. Are my 20 bucks still well-spent on steam, or should I grab it off some other platform for mod-compatibility and whatnot?

It doesn't matter where you buy it from except how much money they "lose" on the sale.

If you buy it direct from them, they get the full amount, and they *should* give you a Steam key if you want it. I think.

If you buy it from steam they lose the 30% steam fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ModeSix posted:

It doesn't matter where you buy it from except how much money they "lose" on the sale.

If you buy it direct from them, they get the full amount, and they *should* give you a Steam key if you want it. I think.

If you buy it from steam they lose the 30% steam fee.

I'm pretty sure when you link your steam account to your Factorio.com account, you'll get a steam key if you buy the game through them.