Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

shaggar was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way with outlook to have it alert me if a particular inbox has not had any new mail for...36 hours? lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Valeyard posted:

It's version control integration is terrible though

yeah, just use the built-in terminal for version control.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

emacs is not an ide. emacs is a text editor

if we're letting people get away with calling atom an ide, emacs is an ide.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Valeyard posted:

Is there a way with outlook to have it alert me if a particular inbox has not had any new mail for...36 hours? lol
idk what outlook version you use, but chances are you can script reminder up in vba. maybe some filter or rule or reminder thing can do that for you too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

if we're letting people get away with calling atom an ide, emacs is an ide.

atom is not an ide either

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
is vs code an ide

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idk, vs code comes with a debugger UI and version control UI out of the box

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fleshweasel posted:

idk, vs code comes with a debugger UI and version control UI out of the box

so does emacs. it's still not an ide.

in the case of emacs I'll allow "diy build your own ide kit"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
emacs is an ide by any reasonable definition of an ide.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

definition of ide: have you ever spent a whole work day janitoring checkboxes and dropdowns in nested tabs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
emacs doesn't even try to force you to adopt its own terrible build system, and it hardly has any toolbars visible ootb. there's no way it counts as an ide.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i think you will find that emacs has an absolutely haraam ootb toolbar

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
loving hell if eclipse decides I wanted to import java.awt.List not java.util.List one more time I swear I will hunt down the person responsible

when in the history of programming has anyone ever wanted to import java.awt.List

like there's even a <Butts> right after it, eclipse, you know java.awt.List isn't generic, why the gently caress are you choosing the possible import that immediately leads to a compile error instead of the one that leads to a successful compilation

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

uncurable mlady posted:

rob pike is kind of an rear end in a top hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4iVAcYyWN0&t=185s

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

emacs and vim are both good text editors, but they're not ides. if you want an ide, use an ide

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

quiggy posted:

emacs and vim are both good text editors

this is not one of the approved opinions, comrade

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so i'm trying to figure out how transforming the normal vector of a triangle works so i can change the eye position from (0,0,5) and have flat shading continue to work

http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_normaltransform.html

i have no idea what the notation means

the tutorial site says:

quote:

And the left parentheses tell us that a normal to the transformed object can be computed from the old normal by applying the inverse transpose matrix of the affine mapping.

so... Nworld = inverse(transpose(transformation_matrix) * Nlocal?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

so... Nworld = inverse(transpose(transformation_matrix) * Nlocal?
yeah, looking at the first link

(eye) = transpose(inverse(transformation_matrix)) * (object) : for object coordinates in column
(eye) = (object) * inverse(transformation_matrix) : for object coordinates in row

transpose and inversion order does not matter here in particular, since it checks out for square matrices

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

we did it

the head takes approx. 400 years to render with my slow calculations lol but here's a cube viewed from (1, 1, 5)!!! i'm a genius

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

we did it

the head takes approx. 400 years to render with my slow calculations lol but here's a cube viewed from (1, 1, 5)!!! i'm a genius

all is left are a few generic textures for the cube, and ill start the wiki

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i use vs 2015 enterprise.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

loving hell if eclipse decides I wanted to import java.awt.List not java.util.List one more time I swear I will hunt down the person responsible

when in the history of programming has anyone ever wanted to import java.awt.List

like there's even a <Butts> right after it, eclipse, you know java.awt.List isn't generic, why the gently caress are you choosing the possible import that immediately leads to a compile error instead of the one that leads to a successful compilation

intellij has code completion on ctrl-space, and it will just suggest loving anything, it also has "smart completion" on shift-ctrl-space that seems to suggest the correct thing every time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
why did i have to poke my nose into my html parser. of course the spec has changed pointlessly. <menuitem> works like <option> now u guys. countless lives presumably saved as exactly nobody implements this latest irrelevancy

if node is in the special category then jump to the part of the adoption agency algorithm labelled done but don't forget to reconstruct the list of active formatting elements and furthermore :suicide:

also somebody started another html parser in objc for some reason? you'd think one reinvented wheel was enough for this dying language

anyway 1.0 :toot:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

emacs is not an ide. emacs is a text editor

unironically agreeing with Shaggar

even the Lisp Machine folks didn't consider Zmacs an IDE, just an extensible editor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

emacs is an ide by any reasonable definition of an ide.

no it's not

there are IDEs built on top of emacs, but out of the box emacs—like vi and Atom and Visual Studio Code and BBEdit—is just an editor

once you load up a system that adds a notion of projects and builds and so on, then that combination might make an IDE, but emacs alone isn't even an elisp IDE out of the box

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Wheany posted:

intellij has code completion on ctrl-space, and it will just suggest loving anything, it also has "smart completion" on shift-ctrl-space that seems to suggest the correct thing every time.

intellij also lets you exclude classes from auto-import

Something designed by people paid to design it posted:

The list of imports suggested by IntelliJ IDEA can be sometimes far too wide, and can include the classes you don't actually need. For example, some of the class names in your project can match the names of internal SDK or unrelated library classes.

IntelliJ IDEA lets you configure the classes to be excluded from import assistance and code completion, thus helping avoid unintentional use of the wrong classes. Besides that, IntelliJ IDEA provides an intention action that allows you to exclude unnecessary classes on-the-fly.

These settings apply to code completion as well. The classes and packages specified as the ones to be ignored by the code completion feature, will not be added to the suggestion list.

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 3, 2016

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
a nice writeup by peter norvig on the travelling salesman problem. very readable for truly awful programmers like myself

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Brain Candy posted:

intellij also lets you exclude classes from auto-import

yeah, eclipse lets you janitor the autocomplete system too, but it should not be necessary to manually edit lists to tell the autocomplete system things it should be able to figure out for itself, such as "this project imports class A in most of its code units already, while it does not so much as touch anything in the same namespace as class B, and furthermore we know that the method on the right-hand side of this assignment returns a value of class A. hmmmmm....., perhaps I should put class A in front of class B in the autocomplete list?"

"nah, let's just keep it alphabetical, they're bound to use awt one day" -- eclipse

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Soricidus posted:

this is not one of the approved opinions, comrade

sorry, vim is the best text editor ever made and emacs is putrid poo poo that fell out of a prolapsed anus

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Soricidus posted:

"nah, let's just keep it alphabetical, they're bound to use awt one day" -- eclipse

janitoring the intellij list is basically pressing a key-combo inside the suggestion box to say 'wtf is this, get this crap outta here'

what i'm actually saiyan is stop using eclipse

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

intellij is good. watch a minute of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wRC7Qkcb8&t=7m44s

you don't need to use a mouse

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
pretty sure shaggar said intellij was garbage, do you seriously expect me to believe that shaggar was wrong?!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

pretty sure shaggar said intellij was garbage, do you seriously expect me to believe that shaggar was wrong?!
b-but it runs on windows

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

yeah, eclipse lets you janitor the autocomplete system too, but it should not be necessary to manually edit lists to tell the autocomplete system things it should be able to figure out for itself, such as "this project imports class A in most of its code units already, while it does not so much as touch anything in the same namespace as class B, and furthermore we know that the method on the right-hand side of this assignment returns a value of class A. hmmmmm....., perhaps I should put class A in front of class B in the autocomplete list?"

sometimes intellij does this really stupid poo poo:
Str[ctrl-space]
some.package.i.dont.remember.xml.String

then again, sometimes it does this:

code:
public class Whatever {
	public static final String SOME_CONSTANT = "Qqqqqq, qqq qqq"

public static final Str[ctrl-space]
	// gets autocompleted to
	public static final java.lang.String
}
why??? why would you ever????

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Wheany posted:

code:
public class Whatever {
	public static final String SOME_CONSTANT = "Qqqqqq, qqq qqq"

public static final Str[ctrl-space]
	// gets autocompleted to
	public static final java.lang.String
}
why??? why would you ever????

this is in the java code style, uncheck 'use fully qualified class names'. i dunno why its on by default

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Soricidus posted:

Meanwhile, Ctrl-Shift-O tends to get it right, somehow. You just have to ignore the build errors (and lack of autocompletion inside type parameters) until you organize dem imports.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I don't understand why visual studio doesn't have a quick action to add imports like the Java ides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its an option when autocompleting same as in eclipse.

• Locked thread