Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baron posted:

SKSE isn't a mod that you actually activate. It's just a .dll file in your data directory. I can't imagine that working through Steam. Just plop it in your data folder, SKSE is pretty much a requirement anymore. It won't hurt anything. Also, if you plan on doing any more modding than that, please stay away from workshop stuff and get things from the Nexus and use a mod manager. It will make your life much easier.

edit: Not your data folder, your main Skyrim directory with the exe in it. My bad.

SKSE is installed.

Almost every other mod appears to be working. Just SkyUI tossing up Error Code 5's on any Menu's or Maps.

My Map also doesn't show where my character actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Baron posted:

SKSE isn't a mod that you actually activate. It's just a .dll file in your data directory. I can't imagine that working through Steam. Just plop it in your data folder, SKSE is pretty much a requirement anymore. It won't hurt anything. Also, if you plan on doing any more modding than that, please stay away from workshop stuff and get things from the Nexus and use a mod manager. It will make your life much easier.

edit: Not your data folder, your main Skyrim directory with the exe in it. My bad.

I installed SKSE from the Steam workshop and it works properly for me. It doesn't make a SKSE subfolder in the Data directory by default, but does install the DLL and Exe to the Skyrim directory. You need to make the SKSE subfolder and the ini file manually if you install that way.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The Alternate Start vanilla start is more stable than the actual vanilla start. But I agree, bypassing the carriage is a very good idea as it is one of the most broken parts of the game. Dozens of mods that don't affect Helgen can actually affect the initial run, it's seriously bad. Having a bit too high FPS, even, can make you flip out or spin.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well at this point I'm not sure what's killing SkyUI. I'm probably better to just start over from scratch.

Is the general consensus to avoid Steam Workshop?

Also, what's the easiest way to purge all mods and start fresh? A whole re-install?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

SKSE is installed.

Almost every other mod appears to be working. Just SkyUI tossing up Error Code 5's on any Menu's or Maps.

My Map also doesn't show where my character actually is.

Huh... Well with so few mods it seems pretty strange something would be conflicting. The only other mod on your list that has anything to do with the .swf files is EFF that I know of... You probably already tried, but maybe make sure SkyUI is completely uninstalled, and try again?

Mairn posted:

I installed SKSE from the Steam workshop and it works properly for me. It doesn't make a SKSE subfolder in the Data directory by default, but does install the DLL and Exe to the Skyrim directory. You need to make the SKSE subfolder and the ini file manually if you install that way.

Oh weird. I guess it does work then! I still generally advise against using the Workshop for Skyrim modding, unless your only using a few mods.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

m.hache posted:

Well at this point I'm not sure what's killing SkyUI. I'm probably better to just start over from scratch.

Also, what's the easiest way to purge all mods and start fresh? A whole re-install?

Nexus is greatly preferred because you pull everything into MO, which isolates your mods from the actual game directory and just makes everything way loving easier once you figure out the basics.

I'm pretty sure that yes, purging your entire game directory is the safest bet when adding mods through Steam.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well I'll just re-install the whole game and try this again in the AM.

Thanks.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

Like I said, unless you plan on only using like 10 or maybe 20 mods, absolutely start using a mod manager. Use Nexus MM at the very least. If your feeling brave, learning how to use Mod Organizer is fantastic if your doing any kind of serious modding. It never puts anything directly into your Skyrim folder, so disabling mods and finding conflicts is easy.

And yeah, depending how much crud got in your data directory, you might wanna just start over.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baron posted:

Like I said, unless you plan on only using like 10 or maybe 20 mods, absolutely start using a mod manager. Use Nexus MM at the very least. If your feeling brave, learning how to use Mod Organizer is fantastic if your doing any kind of serious modding. It never puts anything directly into your Skyrim folder, so disabling mods and finding conflicts is easy.

And yeah, depending how much crud got in your data directory, you might wanna just start over.

Good call.

Downloading the Mod Organizer now. I think I intended to do that initially but the link in the OP is broken. After middle clicking 20 mods I guess I never went back to fix that broken link.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

Good call.

Downloading the Mod Organizer now. I think I intended to do that initially but the link in the OP is broken. After middle clicking 20 mods I guess I never went back to fix that broken link.

It's defiantly worth it. MO can be a daunting tool at first, but once you kinda figure out whats going on, you'll never look back. The STEP Guide to MO is not too bad, if a bit overwhelming.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Skyrim Modding: Just Spent 11 Hours Modding, Time to Play

Alternatively,
Skyrim Modding 2: Mod Harder

Skyrim Modding: Make Skyrim Great Again.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Baron posted:

It's defiantly worth it. MO can be a daunting tool at first, but once you kinda figure out whats going on, you'll never look back. The STEP Guide to MO is not too bad, if a bit overwhelming.

Definitely. Not defiantly.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone have a mod that makes collecting dragonflies easier? gently caress those bugs. I searched for dragonflies/ butterflies/ alchemy collection on the steam workshop but didn't turn up any good results
if you want to cheat a bit:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19618

you can configure it to only harvest dragonflies

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
For the million things that can cause the prisoner cart to freak out, just install this mesh that roots it into the ground and you're good to go.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok After a full re-install it says the SkyUI is getting the following Missing Error Files
These files are:
Data/Interface/bartermenu.swf
Data/Interface/containermenu.swf
Data/Interface/inventorymenu.swf
Data/Interface/magicmenu.swf

the kicker is, the folder is empty.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

m.hache posted:

Ok After a full re-install it says the SkyUI is getting the following Missing Error Files
These files are:
Data/Interface/bartermenu.swf
Data/Interface/containermenu.swf
Data/Interface/inventorymenu.swf
Data/Interface/magicmenu.swf

the kicker is, the folder is empty.

either you didn't uninstall the old skyui correctly or install the new one correctly, or you don't have SKSE. You need to run skse_loader instead of skyrim.exe or through steam.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

m.hache posted:

Just want to note that if you have to use the Workshop, there is a way to get it to work with MO:

1. Subscribe to a mod on the Workshop.
2. Open the Skyrim Launcher from MO so that it downloads the mod.
3. Uninstall on the Workshop.
4. The mod's files will be sitting in MO's overwrite folder, from which you can bundle them into a mod MO can work with (right click -> "Create Mod").

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, no idea what changed but things seem to be running fine now.

Thanks!

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Sure, but the cut content amounts to a few extra dialogue lines and some extra battles.

More difficult means "remember how you had to kill ten waves of soldiers, now you have to kill thirty waves". And you can now realistically lose in case you aren't killing multiple soldiers every second. And you know what that means? You get to fight the battle over again! Hooray!

There aren't "tactics" there isn't "strategy" it's just a meatgrinder of you killing more soldiers of the opposite faction, occasionally in new exciting locations like: wilderness, and: fort.

the fun never ends with CWO. And I haven't even gotten into how it's buggy as poo poo and bricked a ton of peoples games in the past and probably still does. According to the comments: yep it still does.

here have a response from the author

this guy can go suck an egg

The author of VioLens told a funny story about waking up to Apollodown chewing him out one day

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2v9a3l/mod_authors_how_bad_is_it_creating_a_mod_and_then/cofru9z?st=iq3araah&sh=a41c340f

quote:

One time some dude went crazy and stated in his own mod comments section that VioLens was created and released specifically as a slight against him and his mod, hated it with a passion, and wanted "Nothing to do with it".

Apparently, wanting "nothing to do with it" actually meant downloading version 1.0, throwing in "compatibility", renaming it VioLens 1.1, sending it back to me, and politely suggesting that I upload it as the new version. After inspecting the changes and learning of its poor and nonworking implementation, I took roughly 10-20 minutes to insert properly working hidden compatibility into my mod.

Why did I do this for a mod that I don't use and isn't all that popular, even as the author of that mod said nasty things behind my back and acted as though he was entitled to have his mod be compatible with mine? Because keeping the two mods incompatible was bad for the users and both mods regardless of the said mod author's disposition, and would also be pointless and petty.

This is probably my "worst" experience on the Nexus, caused by another mod author. With all said and done, it really wasn't even that bad, more amusing than anything. A cute story, really. I'm sure there are other mod authors with some actual terrible horror stories, and I feel for them. But I, myself, for the most part, have actually seen a lot of pretty nice comments on both the Steam Workshop and the Nexus, and the few mean/rude/dumb comments that I have gotten, I've found quite amusing a lot of the time.

So, just remember, it's not just the users that can be giant assholes for no reason, mod authors are quite capable of that kind of behavior too, and if you've got a good sense for humor about you, you can turn the bad stuff into good stuff.

The funniest part is he was trying to be polite and not name names and Apollo shows up to continue smearing his poo poo all over the place. Dude's a total jackass.

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

On a similar note to Honed Metals, does anyone know of any mods that would allow you to order basic/raw materials? It would be convenient to special-order 200 salt piles at an inflated price or whatever so I don't have to track down every alchemist in Skyrim to cook a drat rabbit.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

quote:

I'd agree incompatibilities are stupid if you can avoid them. Hence me taking the time to provide proper compatibility regardless of your unkind words against me and my mod.

You still seem to be making the assumption, however, that I knew the exact incompatibility and how to fix it "in three seconds" no less and instead simply opted not to. Not the case at all, and I dunno why you think that. Knowing there might be incompatibilities is not the same as knowing the exact incompatibility and how to fix it.

The attitude that I am still somewhat at fault for not immediately knowing how to make the two mods compatible or specifically going out of my way and taking the time to do so before the release of my mod, seems a bit entitled to me. Much like a lot of the users I see mod authors complaining about.

savage af, I like this dude.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Looking for some quick tips on how to troubleshoot performance.

I've toggled my ENB on and off and that only affects it by ~5 FPS so I know that isn't the culprit. Wondering if maybe it's Vivid Weathers or something I should adjust in my .ini files?

I've got a GTX 1080 and the latest drivers, and despite that setup I'm seeing around 30 FPS in most areas, while getting insane FPS like 200+ with ultra settings in natively better-looking games like Star Wars Battlefront.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Siets posted:

Looking for some quick tips on how to troubleshoot performance.

I've toggled my ENB on and off and that only affects it by ~5 FPS so I know that isn't the culprit. Wondering if maybe it's Vivid Weathers or something I should adjust in my .ini files?

I've got a GTX 1080 and the latest drivers, and despite that setup I'm seeing around 30 FPS in most areas, while getting insane FPS like 200+ with ultra settings in natively better-looking games like Star Wars Battlefront.

Have you messed with uGridsToLoad in the .ini file? Mine was set to 9 (default is 5) and it caused my game (on a GTX 970) to completely poo poo itself even with 0 mods and only High settings.

This is what my FPS looked like walking from Helgen to Riverwood after the intro sequence:

After fixing the uGridsToLoad setting my framerate was a super stable 60 fps with graphic mods and Ultra settings :ms:

If that's not it then I have no idea though, sorry..

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I did a bit. I brought uGridsToLoad to 1 just to try and it did give me about 10 FPS or so, but yeah... Not nearly enough.

I'm now wondering if it is Skyrim Flora Overhaul. I seem to recall Grass On Steroids somehow miraculously boosting my FPS by a lot last time I went on a modding binge with this game.

Either that or maybe Skyrim just doesn't understand the latest gen of video cards. It is DX9 isn't it?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Are you using Crash Fixes?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
UGridsToLoad is about loading assets for the area around you in game, turning it up real high loads additional textures and NPCs well out of your vision, which is why it can cause problems. It makes distant scenery look better by fully loading way more of it, but it also loads up events and scripts for poo poo that you aren't even near.

Alternatively turning it down to 1 means poo poo isn't loading until your on top of it which is equally questionable.

Walk down the road towards that Companions giant event outside Whiterun and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Just leave it at 5.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 2, 2016

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that will fill soul gems automatically on kill without having to enchant my weapon with soul drain?

I'd like to be able to just fill gems on kill without having to toggle spells/enchants.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's more a cheat than anything. I dunno if there's a mod that does that, I've certainly never come across it. You can always try to do something like giving yourself a constant effect cloak effect that gives you soul trap on hit via xEdit or whatever.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

loving hell I knew Apollodown was crazy but that's just a whole other level of batshit insane. Makes Arthmoor look like Chesko by comparison.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Siets posted:

I did a bit. I brought uGridsToLoad to 1 just to try and it did give me about 10 FPS or so, but yeah... Not nearly enough.

I'm now wondering if it is Skyrim Flora Overhaul. I seem to recall Grass On Steroids somehow miraculously boosting my FPS by a lot last time I went on a modding binge with this game.

Either that or maybe Skyrim just doesn't understand the latest gen of video cards. It is DX9 isn't it?

A: Just leave UGrids at 5 like everyone else suggested, that's a setting people really shouldn't be messing it.

B: I can 99% guarantee removing SFO will increase your framerate. It eats up a TON of memory.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And if you're SOMEHOW not using ENBoost/an ENB and SSME or Crash Fixes, PLEASE DO THAT. That will fix 99% of your performance woes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The crash fixes guy just released Bug Fixes to take care of the double perks on load bug, everyone should grab that too.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, a week or so ago, but yeah. It includes LipSyncFix in it, so you can toss that old SKSE dll away.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I want to use mods to make Skyrim into something like the Thirty Years' War. Here's a list of what I'm looking at:

Skyrim Unbound
No Dragons
Duke Patrick's Heavy Archery
Project Flintlock
Warzones: Civil Unrest
NPC Editor (to make NPCs spawn with muskets or pikes)
Inconsequential NPCs
Immersive AI
Less or No Magic

Has anyone here tried something similar? Does anyone recognize a problem between these two mods that will cause constant crashes or require the build order to be a certain way?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Does anyone know if it'll be possible to use mods with Enderal? I don't really want to play with ugly rear end UI and characters.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Dongicus posted:

Does anyone know if it'll be possible to use mods with Enderal? I don't really want to play with ugly rear end UI and characters.

Have you tried playing it or is this a preconceived thing? because i'm sure the game has atleast SkyUI

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I haven't played it.

I don't really mean those specific kinds of mods, I was just giving examples.

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 3, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dongicus posted:

Yes. The question will be what's going to be compatible, what will require patches/conversion, etc. If you're not able to figure that stuff out on you're own, you could try asking ask Ederal's creators about it.

Edit:
Looking over Enderal's FAQ:
- Enderal will come with it's own version of SkyUI.
- Enderal uses light sources & color filters differently then Skyrim. This means that ENB can be used with Enderal, by any preset designed for Skyrim will look lovely. You'll need a preset custom tailored for Enderal.
- Any mod that depends on Skyrim.esm as a master won't work. Depending on what the mod exactly does, they can be converted to work with Enderal however.
Basic mesh & texture replacers will work, but the question will be if they'll still look good with how Enderal uses those assets.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 3, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

A while back during the Mod Picker thing, I floated the idea of an off-site honest mod reviews and discussion site. I had in mind something that would combine things like the old Grimy's mod reviews (if anyone technically inclined enough could do it at that level, or more informally if not) with user ratings and reviews, and a wiki-like knowledge base. I have a more solid idea now of how to put something like that into action.

Welp, I did a thing: https://modsofskyrim.wordpress.com/

My "solid idea" did not take into account that installing all the various plugins I'd have wanted to use would require hosting the site software independently, which is a bridge too far right now for a goon project I don't know will even get off the ground. But it can handle posting reviews, which should be enough for now.

If you want to get involved, use the contact form, put your SA user name in it, and give me an idea of what you'd want to write about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

m.hache posted:

Is there a mod that will fill soul gems automatically on kill without having to enchant my weapon with soul drain?

I'd like to be able to just fill gems on kill without having to toggle spells/enchants.

Apocalypse has an apprentice level spell called Soul Cloak. Cast it and there's a soul trap aura around you for a minute or two depending on perks and whatnot. Kill anything and you trap it (well, if you have a large enough gem, anyway).

• Locked thread