Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there any specific impediment to IDW and Marvel co-publishing ROM reprints? Or is it just that splitting the profits on the project wouldn't be worth it to either party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Welp, I thought that Scooby Doo thing was pretty decent. Quite liked it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shameless posted:

It's a great team working on it.
The banter and arguing was straight Giffen/DeMatteis. Fred even got a Guy Gardner punch to the face.

I'm very curious about Wacky Raceland in two weeks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 27, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Is there any specific impediment to IDW and Marvel co-publishing ROM reprints? Or is it just that splitting the profits on the project wouldn't be worth it to either party?

It almost certainly wouldn't be worth it to Marvel. The bulk of IDW's line sells in the 8k-14k range, with their best selling book at 16k. These would all either be canceled at Marvel or very close to it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Transformers vs G.I. Joe vs Rom vs Micronauts vs M.A.S.K. vs Action Man from IDW in September. I'm sure this won't be a total clusterfuck.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WHERES VISIONARIES HASBLOW?!

*ahem* Sorry... I just really like that toyline/cartoon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Action Man seems a bit...unnecessary at that point. Is it that popular a thing? Am I just out of touch with the youth of today?!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IDW will publish anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Action Man seems a bit...unnecessary at that point. Is it that popular a thing? Am I just out of touch with the youth of today?!

No, it's the children who are wrong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Action Man just restarted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Comics don't have theme songs*, so there's no point to an Action Man comic.

*Except for Nextwave.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not digging the new 'COOL AND SLEEK AND MODERN" Rom design, have to be honest.

Dude works best when he's just a big dumb bleep bloop robot retro 70s barely functional action figure man.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Where's his gun? Is he just shooting out of his hand? NOT MY ROM.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Where's his gun? Is he just shooting out of his hand? NOT MY ROM.

He's got a gun, and it appears out of thin air.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to have bunch of Action Man annuals. Is it the post-1993 Action Man where he fights all these cartoon supervillains like Dr X and Professor Gangrene, or is it the pre-1993 version where he's basically British GI Joe?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Going from the preview that I skimmed from the back of the new Pink Power Ranger mini, it's more the former, with a kind of James Bond with laser guns thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, good old Action Man. I actually quite enjoyed the concept of the CGI animated series, where he's an extreme sports star called Alex Mann whose stage name is "Action Man", who gains this ability to instantaneously analyse any situation and devise a solution.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Shameless posted:

The main story was alright - worth keeping an eye on I suppose. The back up with shaggy meeting scooby for the first time was pretty much perfect and greatly inflated my opinion of the whole thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Comics don't have theme songs*, so there's no point to an Action Man comic.

*Except for Nextwave.

Grayson had a theme song that he wrote himself!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Plus Squirrel Girl's, and Ryan North composing extra ones in the margins.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently the big crossover above isn't just a big crossover. It's an event that will end with all of those comics being set in the same universe going forward. So IDW will officially have a Hasbro shared universe of their own.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/declassifying-idw-hasbros-world-merging-revolution

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As long as the Lost Light and keep having wacky adventures, then whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Preview of this week's Hanna-Barbera reboot, Wacky Raceland.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/06/03/exclusive-dc-preview-wacky-raceland-1/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 8, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That looks just... just awful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Penelope Pitstop reads like the Pam Anderson version of Barb Wire.

The cars having AIs that talk is cute, but the stuff with the humans is just exactly the worst kind of adolescent posturing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its so bad it killed off the original voice of Pitstop.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/KFC-The-Colonel-Corps-2016/digital-comic/393832?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3QvMTIwMTI

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If I read but barely remember the original GI Joe comics from Marvel, am I still ok to just start from 155.5/156 with the relaunched Real American Hero? That sounds like a silly question, but is anything more than general understanding of the franchise necessary to understand what's going on after the relaunch?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
You'll be good. It's what I did. I, too, barely remembered the Marvel one and picked this up from the get-go.

It's good. Hama's on it. There's some hills and some valleys but you'll be fine.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Speaking of GI Joe, the fifth (of six) issue of Street Fighter X GI Joe came out and it went from fairly straightforward crossover told via fighting tournament to "What the gently caress am I even reading?"

The tournament ends with Jinx tapping into the Dark Hadou to defeat M. Bison, which I guess sort of works, but the cliffhanger for the final issues is that Rufus is a giant, inexplicably powered by Bison's Psycho Power and Guile summoned a jetpack covered in missile launchers to stop him.

:stare:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So, Ghostbusters comics. How terrible are they, on a scale of 1 to How Bad I Assume They Are?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

So, Ghostbusters comics. How terrible are they, on a scale of 1 to How Bad I Assume They Are?

The stuff by Burnham/Schoening is actually really good. It's the other stuff like Legion, Displaced Agression, or The Other Side that's bad. The two ongoings, Get Real, and International are very much worth reading.

Basically if has Erik Burnham's name on it I'd read it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

JoshTheStampede posted:

They're pretty good, actually - the ongoing is at least, though it's worth mentioning that it treats the game as canon and later adds a few characters from one of the cartoons but it's all very well done, character voices are spot on and Winston actually gets to do stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember reading a mini-series from 2004 or so that was really good, but I doubt that's canon with whatever's being published right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was probably the 88MPH series Legion, and at the time it was good if only because it was literally the only new Ghostbusters content in years. It was set between the two movies. It's definitely not part of the storyline now and is considered to be pretty bad compared to the current stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well I liked it :saddowns:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So did I before I knew any better! It was a refreshing drop of water in a vast desert for Ghostbusters fans at the time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was pleasantly surprised when Get Real came out, as I love that sort of thing, a la Turtles Forever, and I had no idea this one was even happening. I was even more surprised, though, when they cameoed the Filmation Ghostbusters. I had no clue they even had the rights to that!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Disproportionation posted:

it's worth mentioning that it treats the game as canon
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when Get Real came out, as I love that sort of thing, a la Turtles Forever, and I had no idea this one was even happening. I was even more surprised, though, when they cameoed the Filmation Ghostbusters. I had no clue they even had the rights to that!

Oh they don't have the rights. That's why they were removed in the trade.

• Locked thread