Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This game was great, and the ending was very much on-par with Uchikoshi.

I kinda expected a non-ending since this is the third game in a trilogy, meaning it's the Remember11 of the zero escape series, so I was actually pleasantly surprised when the characters didn't manage to forget a super important thing and so baby phi is dropped off a cliff or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

More numbers trivia:

Delta is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet, Sigma is 18th, and Phi is 21st. If you add those numbers to Junpei and Akane's supposed bracelet numbers from 999,

4 + 18 + 21 + 5 + 6 = 54

Digital root of 9. Don't think it was planned that way but it's a funny coincidence.

this is some 9/11 esque grasping for straws poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

this is some 9/11 esque grasping for straws poo poo.

If people really do comb around for hidden meanings and messages when there are none then this game is more like MGS V than I initially thought.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Hey, guys, it's creepy theory-crafting time!

Theory posted:

The game ends with Eric and Mira getting married.

Sean breaks Mira out of prison so they can use the... alien time-traveling copy machine... to get back in time. The machine has two pods, and Eric would naturally want to go with Mira because he's himself.

They set the machine too far back, though, and end up enjoying their relationship too much to the point that they forget why they traveled back to begin with. Eventually, Older Eric and Older Mira have kids, Eric Jr. and Chris, with the latter named in honor of Eric's deceased brother. Older Eric is nice when Mira is alive, just like how he's always nice to Sean whenever he's talking about how he and Mira met during the Decision Game.

But eventually, Younger Mira kills Older Mira. Older Mira forgives her and tells her not to do it again, because she finally remembers that she came back in time to prevent herself from becoming a serial killer. Of course, this doesn't take and Younger Mira continues to kill people.

Older Eric becomes abusive now that Mira is dead, just like he does to Sean in the Decision Game. As a result, he kills Chris and causes Eric Jr. to have PTSD about the whole event. His whole "I have to keep smiling" shtick is a result of Older Eric's own warped smile and inability to stay true to his mother's own words.

And all of this was foreshadowed when:

1. Delta caused the AB Game to ensure his own birth.

2. Eric mentions how Mira reminds him so much of his own mother.

3. Carlos mentioned how Back to the Future was about how a guy went back in time and almost has sex with his mom.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 3, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't think you can help give birth to yourself though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Tell that to Delta and Phi, even though that's more indirect assistance than anything.

Though, admittedly, this would be more along the lines of Eric somehow creating himself.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Being half of the source of your own DNA would be literally impossible

Not even Zero Escape's insane world could make that happen

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Really Pants posted:

why the gently caress is Carlos suddenly a rapist and what is this "proof of friendship" poo poo

When this happened I first thought he tried to create a dangerous situation for himself in the most retarded way possible so he could SHIFT somewhere.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Regy Rusty posted:

Being half of the source of your own DNA would be literally impossible

Not even Zero Escape's insane world could make that happen

It's like that famous short story about the woman turned man who enters a bar and time travels to impregnate himself. Know which short story I'm talking about?
- Akane, Zero Escape 4

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Argue posted:

It's like that famous short story about the woman turned man who enters a bar and time travels to impregnate himself. Know which short story I'm talking about?
- Akane, Zero Escape 4
I haven't read the story but the movie version with Ethan Hawke is legitimately one of the worst sci-fi movies I have ever seen in my entire life.

Don't watch the movie.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I just randomly realised two things about Siggy.

When Diana meets old-Sigma, for Diana it is the first time they meet and for Sigma it is the last time he will see her(assuming rad-6 ending).

And for Sigma the only chance at a life in non-red earth is to go through the whole loop and then shift into young sigma, and then hope that he doesn't get the shaft again during ZTD in one way or the other.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Mindblast posted:

When Diana meets old-Sigma, for Diana it is the first time they meet and for Sigma it is the last time he will see her(assuming rad-6 ending).

Doesn't she go live with him on the moon for three whole years in that ending?

For me it was kind of strange that C-team was the one doing all the shifting. I thought the main purpose of VLR was to give Sigma & Phi mastery over that, but that wouldn't allow for retrocausality babies. Still, kind of a step down from "The man on the moon rules the infinite time."

Orabilis fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 3, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Orabilis posted:

Doesn't she go live with him on the moon for three whole years in that ending?

That's during the 45 years of prep begun by young Sigma after witnessing the reactor explosion; ZTD Sigma returns to the very end of VLR.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Motto posted:

That's during the 45 years of prep begun by young Sigma after witnessing the reactor explosion; ZTD Sigma returns to the very end of VLR.

Yeah. Basically when Old Sigma fails in the VLR timeline he knows he's about to end up going back to 2074 and live out the rest of his life having failed to save both humanity in general and the woman he loved specifically.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Shear Modulus posted:

1. Since he's acting as deaf and blind one of the other team members would have to wheel him around with them. They hid any evidence of the guy in the wheelchair being pushed around when they move from room to room. They could have written around this by making Q team immobile, so there wouldn't be any pushing to hide, but nope.

They don't necessarily had to have pushed him. I mean, they were knocked out every 90 minutes and awoke in a different room. This would have included Q (in their eyes at least). Also, in all teams, it didn't show them actually moving anywhere most of the time. This is contrasted with VLR (you see on the map them walking around EVERYWHERE). Usually, the pattern would be: wake up in strange room, find a way out, then snap to back in the lounge talking. It is consistent with C and D team. If they had a super secret 4th member like that, we wouldn't have known either.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

C7ty1 posted:

-No finale puzzle room. :(

At least it wasn't Sudoku, that puzzle room cracked me up. All that effort to help a kid learn how to play Sudoku.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

They don't necessarily had to have pushed him. I mean, they were knocked out every 90 minutes and awoke in a different room. This would have included Q (in their eyes at least). Also, in all teams, it didn't show them actually moving anywhere most of the time. This is contrasted with VLR (you see on the map them walking around EVERYWHERE). Usually, the pattern would be: wake up in strange room, find a way out, then snap to back in the lounge talking. It is consistent with C and D team. If they had a super secret 4th member like that, we wouldn't have known either.

I guess, but they still kept him out of view for no plot reason other than to shockingly reveal that he was out of view all along. It strains the ability to buy into the narrative.

Like, if he said at the end that he had Mind Hacked everyone into not mentioning him because he wanted to trick ?/the player into not noticing he was there, that would have been dumb but still would have worked better because there would at least be an in-story reason for him being overlooked.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any scenes besides the one where Gab is chained to Q's wheelchair that they even acknowledge the guy at all? I rewatched it and a big wall prevents you from ever seeing anything more than the shadow of the wheelchair, but aside from that I can't think of anything.

Delta's existence also makes the standoff in the library retarded. They knew Sean was not technically part of the team, considering he didn't have an X pass, why would Mira and Eric not both immediately just off the old man in the room to get out instead of shooting a literal child.

I think that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with Eric, I understand he's unstable but the fact that he constantly is accusing what looks like a 10 year old kid of all this poo poo was always really hard to accept. Especially regarding Mira, how the gently caress would a 3 foot tall kid strangle a full grown woman to death?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Raxivace posted:

While I enjoyed how stuff from previous games were remixed here (Most notably the return (Or origin?) of the AB Game), I wish there would have been a puzzle based around Digital Roots somehow. Solving the anagrams would have been cool too.

I assume that's where Akane originally gets the idea. I thought it was going to be one of those timetravel paradoxes, where it has no start, but no. Delta thinks of it, then Akane uses it again.

...Unlike Diana's/Phi's brooch, which is never made. Diana get's it from Phi, who gives it to Phi, who eventually gets burned alive, so Diana gets it back. It has no origin.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any scenes besides the one where Gab is chained to Q's wheelchair that they even acknowledge the guy at all? I rewatched it and a big wall prevents you from ever seeing anything more than the shadow of the wheelchair, but aside from that I can't think of anything.

Delta's existence also makes the standoff in the library retarded. They knew Sean was not technically part of the team, considering he didn't have an X pass, why would Mira and Eric not both immediately just off the old man in the room to get out instead of shooting a literal child.

I think that's probably one of the biggest problems I have with Eric, I understand he's unstable but the fact that he constantly is accusing what looks like a 10 year old kid of all this poo poo was always really hard to accept. Especially regarding Mira, how the gently caress would a 3 foot tall kid strangle a full grown woman to death?

I made a reddit thread where we went to find clues.

Also, someone just found this:

:psyduck:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy poo poo. I never realized that Eric's little brother was Gab all along

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
holy gently caress

what a twist

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I knew there was something off about that dog.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

I'm dumb, what is this?

It's the scene after Sean said I DONT KNOW to Eric.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What... I... the gently caress?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's a bug

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm gonna ignore that.

Chris is a good dog now.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm dumb, what is this?

It's the scene after Sean said I DONT KNOW to Eric.

It's the remains of the blood of Akane's corpse/Carlos arm that happened in the fragment previous to that. Another clue that all is happening in the same ward.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Weird, I thought those were burn marks, or maybe scraping.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Crossposting from the other thread because yeah sure it fits better here:

VLR/ZTD ending talk: Well, there are a couple things that are confusing about the whole thing. Blick Winkel does not have a physical body, so wherever Kyle went, it was not into Blick Winkel's body. Actually, Blick Winkel has never been observed to knock people's consciousnesses out when he observes people. That's a shifter phenomenon; Blick Winkel is not a shifter, he's some extradimensional entity that works in ways that are not well understood.

So if we want to take Akane's statement as true, then someone - a shifter with a physical body existing in 2028 - switched bodies with 2074 Kyle. So far the only time we've been able to observe this it's been the same person switching bodies with themselves in another timeline. That just confuses things further, though. But if we overlook that, then a possible interpretation that fits with Akane's statement is that someone - possibly Delta - switched bodies with 2074 Kyle, sending Kyle's consciousness to 2028 in his body. At the same time, Blick Winkel observes the consciousness that is now in 2074 Kyle's body.

Akane's conversation with 2074 not-Kyle then makes sense if you assume she switches from talking to the person in Kyle's body (all references to switching consciousnesses is at the beginning of her speech) to directly addressing Blick Winkel towards the end (where she tells him to go back to 2028 and observe/change the outcome of the Dcom experiment. Of course... that still leaves us wondering where the hell Kyle's consciousness is supposed to be in 2028. Delta is the only character I can think of it that plausibly fits the narrative, but the total absence of any hints towards that in ZTD means we can't know that. It would be somewhat poetic, I suppose, for Sigma's biological son to swap places with Sigma's other, cloned son.

At any rate, Blick Winkel then goes back to 2028 and observes the Dcom incident as part of Zero Time Dilemma and does everything we, the player, did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Weird, I thought those were burn marks, or maybe scraping.

It was Gab wiping his rear end on the ground

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

I guess, but they still kept him out of view for no plot reason other than to shockingly reveal that he was out of view all along. It strains the ability to buy into the narrative.

Like, if he said at the end that he had Mind Hacked everyone into not mentioning him because he wanted to trick ?/the player into not noticing he was there, that would have been dumb but still would have worked better because there would at least be an in-story reason for him being overlooked.

Yeah, in the games I've played, there's always an in-universe reason for the twist: Ever17's plot revolves around tricking the player to get a desired outcome, VLR is much the same because the plot would derail if Sigma knew who/when he was from the get go, and 999 is kinda fudgy but Akane appears to be narrating directly to the player. ZTD, Delta is... blocking the surveillance cameras in a very specific way so he doesn't ever see himself? What? Why? Why does does Delta care if he can see himself in the footage or not? It's literally a twist for twists sake.

But I think the far more pressing plot hole is... why are Delta and Gab chained up in the ending where Q Team melts the other teams, literally the only time in the entire game this happens? Did he chain him and the dog up himself? Why, so Mira has on opportunity to yammer on about the Sleeping Beauty problem for a bit? So Sean won't try to leave and shut down the moment he steps outside the facility? Sure wouldn't stop that in the Crossbow Ending!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yeah, in the games I've played, there's always an in-universe reason for the twist: Ever17's plot revolves around tricking the player to get a desired outcome, VLR is much the same because the plot would derail if Sigma knew who/when he was from the get go, and 999 is kinda fudgy but Akane appears to be narrating directly to the player. ZTD, Delta is... blocking the surveillance cameras in a very specific way so he doesn't ever see himself? What? Why? Why does does Delta care if he can see himself in the footage or not? It's literally a twist for twists sake.

But I think the far more pressing plot hole is... why are Delta and Gab chained up in the ending where Q Team melts the other teams, literally the only time in the entire game this happens? Did he chain him and the dog up himself? Why, so Mira has on opportunity to yammer on about the Sleeping Beauty problem for a bit? So Sean won't try to leave and shut down the moment he steps outside the facility? Sure wouldn't stop that in the Crossbow Ending!

I mean, VLR doesn't have an in universe explanation for why the screenshots of Sigma are all off. Not showing Signma is entirely for twists sake. There is also no way to even begin guessing the twist.

I'd imagine Delta and Gab are tied up, as Delta doesn't want to have leave with everyone. He doesn't want to be lonely, so he keeps Gab.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
So a few days ago I literally marathoned ZTD over the course of a single day and my brain has finally calmed down enough to say that seeing the fragment thumbnail of Akane with a chainsaw is the most excited I've been about a video game in a very long time, it was the first thing I did post-vote and it immediately sold me on the entire game. There were a lot of really great moments throughout the entire game, almost all the C-team stuff was the best imo.

I don't really have any major problem with the ending except for the lack of Kyle, which was very odd... I thought he was going to be used to explain how the teams were able to access each other's memories instead of just their own, like he became the Holy Spirit of the morphogenetic field or something.

...So now that ZE is done.. I've been thinking of playing the Infinity series. The first one is Never7, right?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just play Ever17, it's the best one and even it's not great

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

sockpuppetclock posted:

...So now that ZE is done.. I've been thinking of playing the Infinity series. The first one is Never7, right?

I've heard that you should skip Never 7 and go into Ever 17. You shouldn't play Remember 11 before Ever 17. I've never played Never 7, but I've played the rest.

Cake Attack posted:

Remember 11 is my favorite, despite the biggest issue with it.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 3, 2016

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cake Attack posted:

It's almost shocking just how light fare it is compared to Zero Escape.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It's almost shocking just how light fare it is compared to Zero Escape.

Tbf some of the ending twists are top tier uchikoshi. the kid looking into the mirror and seeing hokuto is basically the sigma was old the whole time twist except stands up much better under scrutiny

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

At any rate, Blick Winkel then goes back to 2028 and observes the Dcom incident as part of Zero Time Dilemma and does everything we, the player, did.

This is actually one of the more disappointing things, for me, about how the plot turned out in ZTD.

Something which VLR hinted at was that the whole notion of BW as an observer had a bit of moral ambiguity to it.

The VLR epilogue, which is the only part of the game that directly hints at BW's existence in the story, doesn't actually unlock after seeing the "true" ending. What you actually had to do to access it was see everything before that point, which usually meant going back to the few decisions that were skipped because they were obvious Bad End decisions, and doing them anyway.

While wrapping up those loose ends in VLR, I started thinking about how the story structure of VLR (and 999, to a more restrictive degree) allowed you to essentially see all the written outcomes without penalty. So you can make the choices that get people killed and then blithely skip off to a different section of the story where that never happened, where it didn't matter.

Now, look at ZTD, where all the decisions are often worse, and the outcomes often worse for some of the characters, but the same lack of connection to the decisions themselves by the player is the same. Oh, I just shot Sigma in the head. Oh, I just let Phi burn to death. Oh look, Sigma made it out this time! Sure, I'll press this button in the decontamination room. Ewww! Now, time to look over here instesad...

This led to a great moment in one of the decon rooms when I have Diana push the button to see what plot was on the other side of that decision and she starts freaking out saying she didn't push the button herself. Everything about Diana as a character supports the idea that she would never push that button, so someone else clearly did. The kicker is that there isn't even a point to the alternate paths branching from the decon room - they're on their own separate timeline and are cut off almost immediately after the decision is made, and nothing in them feeds you information you need to get to the actual "true" ending. So given what I knew of the VLR epilogue and how it emphasized the observer was going to be important in ZTD, my reaction at this point was "oh poo poo, BW and by extension myself just killed a bunch of people for no reason beyond curiosity what the gently caress".

Where I thought this was going was that the overall direction of the game was going to make BW and by extension the player themselves the actual antagonist driving the plot. How, why, I didn't know yet, but previous games had tackled crazy enough concepts that I figured they'd be able to make it workable if that's where they're going. Turns out that wasn't where they're going and it was just mind control. I mean, okay, but that's still a bit of a letdown, personally.

999 and VLR both have some pretty trippy concepts about time travel and psychic information, but they're also written so that practically the entire plot of each game is spent justifying those concepts and explaining the internal logic of how they work, even if you don't realize that's what was happening until the very end. Delta walking out a door in the last act and saying "I can read, and control, human minds" comes out of nowhere and the player is expected to just take that on faith, which is why it didn't have the same impact to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Platinumed after about twenty & a half hours. I got stuck a lot by overlooking non-obvious hotspots in puzzle rooms and that was a little dumb, but otherwise game's good, series is good

What's the deal with this card, though?

It's not a puzzle hint as far as I know, and it's too short for anagrams unless Zero's ultimate wish is for Crash Keys to become a meme corporation.

• Locked thread