Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I actually craved banana pancakes with banana syrup for a weeks after that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I craved giant adenoids devouring cities after that scene

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I constantly crave food based off what I am reading if a character is eating it. Last week I went to an Irish Pub because I was reading a book set in Ireland and just before my meal arrived the main character was raped by a crowbar and that kind of ruined the mood.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Gravity's Rainbow made me crave the old potato, certainly not some clever nutmeg "surprise".

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I constantly crave food based off what I am reading if a character is eating it. Last week I went to an Irish Pub because I was reading a book set in Ireland and just before my meal arrived the main character was raped by a crowbar and that kind of ruined the mood.

By or with?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

this must be why I so desperately want some lemon cakes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

By or with?

Gonna have to read it and find out

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Looking forward to the first generation of literature written on soylent.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ras Het posted:

I do like a lot of books where the aging female protagonist gets it from a maverick young stud

Try King, Queen, Knave where the young stud is a total goober

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I constantly crave food based off what I am reading if a character is eating it.
The Vegetarian made me crave various meat dishes. I don't know if that was intended

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Vegetarian made me crave various meat dishes. I don't know if that was intended

The Vegetarian (along with a book I read before it) has me mulling over becoming a vegetarian, which I know is pretty silly since it wasn't really about being vegetarian. Meat is just really, really delicious though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Stop being a prick and go vegan

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What did others here think of Mishima's Sound of Waves? To me it's his strangest book because of (ugh I hate using the spoiler tag, it's the nerdiest thing, but I'll do it for books I guess) how it sets up all of these traditional ill omens and literary foreshadowing of some horrible event or death that you expect to happen in the final chapter, but then it all just kind of fizzles out, the couple ends up happy and the antagonists get away with just light punishment. I guess the point is that, because the protagonist couple embody traditional, non-intellectual or anti-intellectual Japanese life, things go well for them. But that just makes the novel seem flat and unsatisfying, even if you share Mishima's ideas about traditional life, bad things constantly happen to good people, so why should these two be an exception?

I'm actually, very slowly translating Utsukushii Hoshi, but my Japanese is not really up to the task of doing it quickly or efficiently so it's taking really long and it's mostly something I'm doing for my own benefit of learning the language.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Ras Het posted:

Stop being a prick and go vegan

This but unironically. Read Under the Skin and it might persuade you.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ras is not being ironical please refer to the cheat sheet on TBB "Literature" thread regulars.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i went vegetarian after reading safran foer's eating animals in like 2010, AMA

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
best literary preaching about eating meat: Plutarch's On Eating Meat
best literary discussion about eating meat: Chekhov's The Pecheneg

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

End Of Worlds posted:

i went vegetarian after reading safran foer's eating animals in like 2010, AMA

do you have a stubble and designer classes
also, do you even lift bro?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
FYI this thread and the ASOIAF thread are talking about being vegetarian at the same time ya'll better up your game.

I just started reading Vineland and am really loving it. I've loved all the other Pynchon I've read but I'd heard it was his weakest. I haven't read V or Mason & Dixon and didn't want to read Vineland last and be disappointed but am pleasantly surprised so far.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

the_homemaster posted:

This but unironically. Read Under the Skin and it might persuade you.

I put this on my to-read list after you mentioned it in the BOTM thread. Currently finishing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, then onto the elf wizard BOTM for July (sorry thread), then will check this out.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Thanks for the recs on Broken April. Read it yesterday I'm still feeling quite bad. Also I hate my family so that probably helped.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

FYI this thread and the ASOIAF thread are talking about being vegetarian at the same time ya'll better up your game.

I just started reading Vineland and am really loving it. I've loved all the other Pynchon I've read but I'd heard it was his weakest. I haven't read V or Mason & Dixon and didn't want to read Vineland last and be disappointed but am pleasantly surprised so far.

Vineland is very good, but falls apart in the last third of the book from two bloated subplots while other plots don't get as much attention. It's very strange how muddled it gets. Overall, a very good book with some great characters and ideas.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Hello literature thread, I come seeking recommendations. just devoted independence day weekend to "a little life" and am feeling unsatisfied. great first third or so but can't help but feel it didn't really stick the landing. The trauma eventually reached the point of melodrama and not in a way that elevated the narrative for me and I'm honestly somewhat suspicious that it was only raved about because coastal literati see themselves or what they wish they were in its (all fabulously wealthy, all brilliant) characters.

that said I'm really interested in the kind of ensemble realist drama ALL started out as. especially interested in works by contemporary female writers (read too much McCarthy and Murakami in college, desperately need to branch out), so if anyone has recs for that kind of thing I'd be interested and thankful.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yanagihara is always suspicious to me because I was really enjoying The People in the Trees and then the ending happened and totally sucked away whatever positive impressions the novel had made until that point. I'm not inclined to trust her after that.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ignore contemporary and just gun for war and peace

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Valentin posted:

that said I'm really interested in the kind of ensemble realist drama ALL started out as. especially interested in works by contemporary female writers (read too much McCarthy and Murakami in college, desperately need to branch out), so if anyone has recs for that kind of thing I'd be interested and thankful.

The Green Road by Anne Enright
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire-Mitchell
The Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique
The Turner House by Angela Flournoy

Not really realist ensemble pieces, but very good contemporary fiction from women writers

The Round House by Louise Erdrich - heavily recommended
An Untamed State Roxane Gay
The Daughters by Adrienne Celt
The Cold Song by Linn Ullman
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
But do any of those books have crowbar rape?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

But do any of those books have crowbar rape?

Statutory Rape, Date Rape, Gang Rape, Traditional Vanilla Rape but no crowbar rape alas

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

ulvir posted:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

ulvir posted:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Or embrace it and read Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace had long hair at least

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

ulvir posted:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Is there a War and Peace and Zombies yet?

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Continuing the genre vs literary... 'discussion' in The Vegetarian thread, I just finished the best book I have ever read.

Arcadia by Iain Pears.

Literature with elements of WW2 spy story, fantasy epic, and dystopian sci fi. An absolutely joyous read.

On the other hand I got through 25% of A Confederacy of Dunces and it blows my mind how bad it is. loving trash.

Oh yeah and Barkskins by Annie Proulx, goddamn this is the poo poo.

Ras Het posted:

best literary preaching about eating meat: Plutarch's On Eating Meat
best literary discussion about eating meat: Chekhov's The Pecheneg

Thanks fam.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 7, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the_homemaster posted:

On the other hand I got through 25% of A Confederacy of Dunces and it blows my mind how bad it is. loving trash.

Is this the section where he gets a job selling hotdogs, then eats all the hotdogs, then lies about eating all of the hot dogs?

A lot of people I know love/revere that book and talk about how they laugh their asses off at it, but I always found Ignatius to be such a grating character that I only got through about half the book. I did like the jive-talking black guy, though. I've considered going back to it and seeing if I like it now that it's been a few years, but there's so much I'd rather read.

How did it win the Pulitzer?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Because the judges felt sorry the guy killed himself. I mean i kinda sorta enjoyed it, but if toole would've gone on to write more stuff, confederacy hopefully would be an alright early work of a writer who'd gone to write better books.

also, i kinda forgot that vegetarian was the botm for june and reading through the thread now i'm glad i did. the guy dissing it for weeks without actually reading the ('barely novel' length) book sure was something else.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

Because the judges felt sorry the guy killed himself. I mean i kinda sorta enjoyed it, but if toole would've gone on to write more stuff, confederacy hopefully would be an alright early work of a writer who'd gone to write better books.

I agree, it shows a lot of promise. His other book The Neon Bible is actually pretty good, considering it was written before CoD.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Confederacy of Dunces is really well written and very funny and clever and I think the novel stands exceptionally well on its own outside of its "backstory".

Comedies always struggle for literary recognition because the end result of a comedy is usually at ends with what is the general end result of "literature".

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I like confederacy of dunces because it's about literally every goon ever and if you can't laugh at that well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

I like confederacy of dunces because it's about literally every goon ever and if you can't laugh at that well....

Your avatar is triggering me. Quorn gave me the most intense food poisoning of my life. loving fungus food