Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

I like how even the mtgfinance rank and file are against their newly crowned shitlord. The irony is lost in them.

Like Bitcoin, they envision themselves as captains of industry but actually despise real ones.

Also, why isn't this a goon project yet? :evilbuddy:
E: here I'll start, lets spike underground sea guys. I have a bunch so I already did my share but you guys do it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Chill la Chill posted:

Like Bitcoin, they envision themselves as captains of industry but actually despise real ones.

Also, why isn't this a goon project yet? :evilbuddy:
E: here I'll start, lets spike underground sea guys. I have a bunch so I already did my share but you guys do it too.

Undoubtedly you meant to say Calciform Pools

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I say we spike Riptide Laboratory.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Let's make a run on Cursed Totem guys. I've thought about it before.

AgentSythe posted:

Please, no fat shaming

There's a difference between fat (us) and doughy (him.)

AgentSythe posted:

i have not purchased a single card for my paper pauper decks, other than basic lands. it's also the best constructed format

Yep. I've gotten everything from Puca Trade except for a few sweet foreign foils.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

I'm game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

Why isn't it up yet? Snapcaster and clique are wizards. I have 3 already. Did my part.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, I expect one of the next spikes to be Gaea's Cradle. Its been creeping up for a while. Just waiting on someone to pull the trigger. :sigh:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 3, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, I expect one of the next spikes to be Gaea's Cradle. :sigh:

no no , actually good cards don't spike, try to keep up with the memes

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, I expect one of the next spikes to be Gaea's Cradle. Its been creeping up for a while. Just waiting on someone to pull the trigger. :sigh:

I'm glad I got my EDH singleton and never again.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

I'm glad I got my EDH singleton and never again.

Glad I cracked one in a pack back in the day, that is a nice card to have made it through my teenage years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wait wai wait.

I know a card that we can force a spike on.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

no no , actually good cards don't spike, try to keep up with the memes

I'm on my phone but pretend I posted Library of Alexandria's mtgstocks graph here

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 3, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Elyv posted:

I'm on my phone but pretend I posted Library of Alexandria's mtgstocks graph hare

Is it on fire?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

kizudarake posted:

Is it on fire?

It had kind of a jump

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11943

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Star Man posted:

this used to be bulk and then went up to like $13 for a weekend about 5 years ago when someone used it to rebuy snaps and spellstutter sprites all day back when SCG showed legacy.

let's make riptide laboratory great again, is what I'm saying

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

It's also a card where its far easier to find convincing fakes than reasonably priced copies of the card, so gently caress that. It's also not even legal in anything.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Pauper goons, I've settled on the best Drake deck - it's Rats. Pauper chat incoming:

The deck will outgrind anything, it has game against the super aggro Red Deck Wins deck, it can fight against Bogles's almost-nut draws (probably dies to the actual nuts), and it can beat other Drake decks reasonably well. It will probably lose on the draw against opposing Drake decks game 1 if the opponent's deck is consistent, since Rats are pretty minor disruption, but a lot of the MTGO league players are playing that UR Drake deck which is basically just UR Control with a combo kill, and those decks don't consistently get the combo on turn five. If that's the case, a bunch of Rats backed by Flickers can grind them down until they can't stop a Mancer coming down and locking them out. Turns out Flickering Mancer and Chittering Rats on their draw step to lock them out is a real win condition - Drake just happens to let the deck turn five lock them much more often.

It is possible that this deck wants another Archaeomancer, but it'd be in place of one of the cantrips, since the Rats are pretty necessary to delay against the aggro decks. It is also possible that the bouncelands are too vulnerable and would be better off as more fetchlands or basics, but bouncelands are pretty broken. Having a three land hand that can tap for five mana is pretty nice, and bouncelands do make actually comboing significantly faster if that's a problem, but this deck basically never times out since Mancer + Rats is very quick. The Recoils in the sideboard are for punishing bouncelands, and it is insanely brutal to bounce someone's bounceland turn 3 on the play - they basically can't come back from that.

Ban Peregrine Drake, ban Ghostly Flicker, ban Delver of Secrets. These three blue cards are significantly more powerful than the rest of the cards in Pauper - Delver has been far too much of the metagame for more than four years now, Ghostly Flicker has been a part of some broken combo deck often enough that it should just go (it was what got Cloudpost banned for good after all, that mono-blue Cloudpost Storm deck was filthy once they banned UR Post's two competitors) and Peregrine Drake should have been pre-banned like Mind's Desire was in Type 1. The WotC Devs have said that they finalized Eternal Masters before the Cloud of Faeries ban, and that they would likely have reconsidered putting it at common if they knew about it....but they also say that Drake is weaker than Cloud, which is laughably wrong. Would you rather have a 1/1 that untaps two lands, or a 2/3 that untaps 5 lands? That's basically the difference - Drake is an actual card, Cloud isn't. Drake is also significantly less of a deckbuilding investment than Cloud, since you don't need to rely on a bunch of other garbage 1/1s and 0/3s and bouncelands to actually combo, AND Drake decks are significantly less taxing from a clicking perspective.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Ban Peregrine Drake, ban Ghostly Flicker, ban Delver of Secrets. These three blue cards are significantly more powerful than the rest of the cards in Pauper - Delver has been far too much of the metagame for more than four years now

Remember when I said to ban Delver like a month ago and you argued that it's fine?

I haven't even bothered playing pauper since EMA came out. It was getting pretty miserable losing 2/5 matches in every league to turn 1 Delver, turn 2 blind flip to Counterspell even before this nonsense started.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

Remember when I said to ban Delver like a month ago and you argued that it's fine?

I haven't even bothered playing pauper since EMA came out. It was getting pretty miserable losing 2/5 matches in every league to turn 1 Delver, turn 2 blind flip to Counterspell even before this nonsense started.

I wouldn't have argued against a Delver ban because it's far too high variance and there are multiple decks in the format that are "Gameplan A: something, gameplan B: play a couple Delvers and blindflip for a free win" and that's a very bad thing. Seriously - there's Kiln Fiend/Nivix Cyclops decks that revolve around the idea of playing a bunch of cantrips, giving the creature double strike, and oneshotting the opponent, and that deck plays 4 Delver which do not benefit at all from the primary gameplan over 4 Wee Dragonauts simply because Delvers blind flip steals games. Same with Angler Delver and those terrible Mongoose decks and I played against someone running Temur Tokens that was running Delver. The fact that the Mono-Blue Delver deck lost Cloud of Faeries and still remained a fifth of the metagame is a red flag that some poo poo is up.

Unfortunately, they're probably going to only ban Drake, then we'll have another year of this poo poo until enough people complain and they finally ban Delver.

fake edit: went back and found this:

Hellsau posted:

Familiar Storm is almost certainly the best deck online, it just takes a ton of effort and it isn't that much better to be worth the hassle. Also Delver into Cloud of Faeries into Spellstutter Sprite is hard to beat for most decks.

Ban Cloud of Faeries and also Delver.

Ban Delver.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

Ban Peregrine Drake, ban Ghostly Flicker, ban Delver of Secrets.

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004
Does Peregrine Drake really need a ban if you ban Ghostly Flicker? What deck besides Tron wants drake without flicker? I don't think they're ever banning delver, though, as nice as it would be to not face it 50% of the time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They should ban the actually broken card IMO.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They should ban the actually broken card IMO.

Island?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Forest.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
:lol: if you don't think it'd be Mountain with the way WOTC's got red going.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Soul Glo posted:

:lol: if you don't think it'd be Mountain with the way WOTC's got red going.

It'd be considerably funnier if it wasn't so soul-crushingly plausible.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mana production is primary in green and secondary in white. In other colors it's a pie break.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Mana production is primary in green and secondary in white. In other colors it's a pie break.

Red has it too, but only in one-time installments.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheMaestroso posted:

Red has it too, but only in one-time installments.

After it stole it from black.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fast mana and permanent ramping are totally different game design you dorks.

Also Delver is fine, mono blue aggro isn't totally busted.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

How is MTGO in terms of gameplay and longevity (e.g. Is an investment going to be worthwhile)?

I'm spitballing getting back into magic but I moved my family to an area with no LGS nearby and have two babies in the house, so driving to something a ways out isn't realistic.

How different is the game in online form? Meta? Etc.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Walked posted:

How is MTGO in terms of gameplay and longevity (e.g. Is an investment going to be worthwhile)?

I'm spitballing getting back into magic but I moved my family to an area with no LGS nearby and have two babies in the house, so driving to something a ways out isn't realistic.

How different is the game in online form? Meta? Etc.

MTGO can be frustrating. There are game-ruining bugs and stupid decisions made by the support team. That said if local play becomes inconvenient, you aren't going to do better than MTGO. The experience is pretty close to paper. Cheaper to get into, as well. And there are more formats available at any given time than you could hope for at most stores. It's been running along for years, though I wouldn't use the word smoothly. It can definitely replace an in-person Magic experience if you need it to.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Pros: can play any time, makes certain things like shuffling less annoying, dont have to deal with gross or rude or otherwise goofy opponents.
Cons: everything else.

Also don't think of it as an "investment" at all. It's money you spend on a leisure activity, its about as much of an "investment" as buying a movie ticket. The idea of going infinite or making money on it is a dream, and it'll likely be a huge money sink if you get addicted to drafting.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
MTGO is a fine place to play MTG but is certainly not an investment or a community.

I think I see fewer infinite / repetitive combo on MTGO? Just because it's much harder to "go off" as there's no looping.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MODO is fine and better than the free alternatives if you value your time and sanity. Just make sure to set a budget and not go over it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheDemon posted:

MTGO is a fine place to play MTG but is certainly not an investment or a community.

I think I see fewer infinite / repetitive combo on MTGO? Just because it's much harder to "go off" as there's no looping.

Abzan Company despite being a T1 modern deck sees almost no play on MTGO because of how awful the interface is for infinite loops.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Terrible Horse posted:

Pros: can play any time, makes certain things like shuffling less annoying, dont have to deal with gross or rude or otherwise goofy opponents.
Cons: everything else.

Also don't think of it as an "investment" at all. It's money you spend on a leisure activity, its about as much of an "investment" as buying a movie ticket. The idea of going infinite or making money on it is a dream, and it'll likely be a huge money sink if you get addicted to drafting.

Don't get me wrong - investment is not the right word. More accurately I'm wondering if the market is relatively volatile or stable. Obviously I'm not interested in making a profit in any regard ever. I have a job for that :)

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
There's a mysterious new product called Digital Next theoretically coming out some point. That could lead to a change in the MTGO economy.

If you just want to play the game and not make a long term profit, I imagine you'll be happy. You can buy a deck and not lose all that money switching it out instantly for another one. You get a lot more use from your expenditure by getting to play whenever the gently caress you want. I am glad I bought into MTGO.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Walked posted:

If you're not wedded to actual-Magic, https://www.hextcg.com/ is a thing that exists. It's similar enough to Magic that Wizards sued over it (has since been settled), but has a decent amount of neat stuff enabled by being completely divorced from any paper game, as well as a PVE option alongside the usual PVP, tournaments, etc.

I don't play it a ton (nor am I a competitive MTG player) but it's got decent improvements every time I re-login and doesn't seem to be a total trash fire :shrug: Certainly its UI is better than MTGO's (such a high bar!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I tried Hex and it didn't really do anything for me. I would rather theoretically spend money to actually play the thing I want then jump through hoops to play something else for free.

• Locked thread