Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Weber did the Prince Roger books which are kind of like that but I don't think they're what you're thinking of. Also The Excalibur Alternative which is a stand-alone 'primitive humans get kidnapped to be alien mercenaries' book (which seems to be a whole subgenre in itself).

Actually it's part of a shared universe already and the short story Sir George and the Dragon was expanded to Excalibur Alternative. In the last session they talk about "The Romans" who were the lost legion kidnapped a thousand years earlier than Sir George.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Well, nobody likes waiting, but for personal reasons I have a set amount of time that I can devote to this experiment before I have to go back into the software industry and can't write full time anymore. (I know from long experience that if I'm not writing full time, I don't write at all; I just can't maintain the headspace I need to be in.)

That said, I can extend that leeway a bit if it looks like there is a payoff eventually coming, and I'm lucky to be in a position where I can do this at all.

That makes me a lot more excited about the idea of trying this. If I can wait two months to see if I hear from an agent then self-publish if it goes nowhere, rather than having to try a dozen agents in sequence, it sounds a lot more worth trying. A dozen agents, at 6-8 weeks apiece, would be two years, which is why I was saying "Oh gently caress that noise!"

Thanks for the information to both of you!

As an aside, if any goons want to read/comment on the first draft when it's done, shoot me a PM and I'll make a list.

There's a really good thread here, either in Creative Commons or ask/tell that helped get a rl friend a publishing deal. (Yes there's at least one woman goon with four novels to her name). Maybe find that and give it a read?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Here's our occasional reminder that there's a fantastic site for fact-checking the science in your spaceships.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/prelimnotes.php

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

The most important part of your submission to agents will be your cover letter. Please feel free to bounce it off me. It is really important that you get it right, as important as the actual novel itself.

The cover letter is basically the hook for the novel - it's not (just) a summary, it's a tiny story that grabs the agent and says 'you must read more!'

Thank you! I will take you up on that when the time comes. I figured that was probably the case - having someone who's gone through the process themselves to bounce it off would be invaluable.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

WarLocke posted:

Weber did the Prince Roger books which are kind of like that but I don't think they're what you're thinking of. Also The Excalibur Alternative which is a stand-alone 'primitive humans get kidnapped to be alien mercenaries' book (which seems to be a whole subgenre in itself).

There's a guy in the sci fi fantasy thread who reviews the mmo-turns-real sub genre and it's pretty cool. Maybe someone will take a stab at this human space mercenaries sub genre.

I'll check out these Damned books after my current book, will report back

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WarLocke posted:

Aha, Legion of the Damned by William Dietz

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wrong thread herp derp SPACESHIPS

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

FastestGunAlive posted:

the mmo-turns-real sub genre

... this is a thing? :psyduck:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

WarLocke posted:

Getting transported into a video game is a pretty common story in cheap sci-fi.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

WarLocke posted:

In asian fiction/media it's turned into a whole industry.

There is even mmo-turns-real mmos.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 2, 2016

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

WarLocke posted:

Anime in particular is rife with the drat things. Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, .hack....hell, I just found an article full of ones I've never even heard of.

Yeah, it's a thing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

WarLocke posted:

"litrpg"

is a term you should not google.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Three-Body Problem did that too (in a way), now that I think about it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There was also a Laundry short story where they get trapped in a Neverwinter Nights server.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kassad posted:

The Three-Body Problem did that too (in a way), now that I think about it.

Kinda I guess although the way it was used there was interesting and made sense.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, I mean it seems like a different take on that idea now that people mention it's a widespread thing.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Browsing lots of Amazon self published sci fi/fantasy I've also seen many books based upon people being teleported into tabletop rpg games. The one I did buy gave me a few laughs

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

FastestGunAlive posted:

Browsing lots of Amazon self published sci fi/fantasy I've also seen many books based upon people being teleported into tabletop rpg games. The one I did buy gave me a few laughs

https://www.amazon.com/Kobold-Wizar...llick+iii+dildo

You're welcome

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 2, 2016

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

And major motion pictures, like TRON.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Shoutouts to Piers Anthony

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

The only shouts that should be made out to Piers Anthony are of the "GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME OR I'M CALLING THE POLICE" variety. With the occasional "PLEASE NEVER PUBLISH ANOTHER BOOK" just to mix it up.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Well, in a sense it's appropriate that he'd be the one to spawn such a loathesome subgenre.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Danknificent posted:

I'm totally downloading the blue adept series right now!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Trig Discipline posted:

The only shouts that should be made out to Piers Anthony are of the "GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME OR I'M CALLING THE POLICE" variety. With the occasional "PLEASE NEVER PUBLISH ANOTHER BOOK" just to mix it up.

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't know this before I bought On a Pale Horse. Made it to the part where he's going to kill a woman playing football before I decided to google Piers Anthony. Wish I hadn't given him money.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

To clarify, I'm giving shoutouts to Piers Anthony for writing Killobyte in 1994, and in many ways pioneering the trapped in VR/games trope long before it was commonplace.

It's not an endorsement.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
He's always been a pioneer of young genres.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't know this before I bought On a Pale Horse. Made it to the part where he's going to kill a woman playing football before I decided to google Piers Anthony. Wish I hadn't given him money.

Considered one of his best books by many

lol

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Totally worth looking at the page if for nothing else the 'frequently purchased with' and 'people who purchased this purchased that' sections...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yeah, upon further thought I suppose you could count TRON even. And I did read Killobyte as a youngster (thankfully I don't remember anything particularly creepy in it, unlike the Bio of a Space Tyrant stuff).

I just never thought there was enough of it to count as its own subgenre. Now I kind of want to check it out... :saddowns:

e: drat, I shouldn't have gone down that rabbit hole. Now I have a bunch of these 'litrpg' books to read.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 3, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For fans of The Three Body Problem

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/a21712/planet-with-three-suns/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finally finished both Bowl of Heaven and Shipstar. Both were thoroughly enjoyable, and a fast read. Despite what Niven said in the end, it was definitely him trying to get another go at Ringworld while tying in some of his unused story ideas he's mentioned over the years, but it stood on its own. Niven needs to do more stuff with Gregory Benford and less stuff with his usual collaborators or himself.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
A pretty good offer for all US and Canadian citizens: Tor.com eBook Club

Each month you get a free eBook and Tor will follow up with discussions etc. First free book is The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

The book is available for download between July 11 and July 17.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fart of Presto posted:

A pretty good offer for all US and Canadian citizens:

Just putting it out there, the most it does is ask for an email address and "Are you from the US or Canada?"

So uh... have at it, all you 100% real and genuine US/Canadian citizens.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh wow that's a nice deal, thanks for the heads up!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Are the ebooks purely downloadable files or do they actually let you get Kindle-format titles through Amazon, with Whispersync working and everything?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Are the ebooks purely downloadable files or do they actually let you get Kindle-format titles through Amazon, with Whispersync working and everything?

If they're like other TOR free offerings, I think it's DRM free PDF, Epub formats as a downloadable file.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I got two links to the book in epub and mobi formats.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kassad posted:

I got two links to the book in epub and mobi formats.
Yeah, it's pretty simple, and since you get two formats you're bound to be able to open one somehow.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
long way to a small angry planet was awesome

I like how some authors can just scratch the surface of hiding politics in their book without it being quite is in your face as Mycroft in the book I can't remember the name of now.

I think I meant to post this in the sci fi/fantasy thread

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Washout posted:

I'm totally downloading the blue adept series right now!

Trip report: could not even get halfway through the first book, forgot how poo poo he was in every way.

• Locked thread