Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I would also be interested in this. I never got to finish Thordan or Sephirot EX.

:same:

I'd join a LS since I'm in the same boat wrt upgrades but most people have moved on to newer raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SonicRulez posted:

'ang on, now. I only tried it once and I slipped a button. I wouldn't call that struggling. I'd call that being a dork. I'm i225. Dunno if there's really much difference between that and i230. Grinding capped stones isn't hard, but boy is it monotonous.

I would also be interested in this. I never got to finish Thordan or Sephirot EX.

i225 sounds like around the spot where you should be able to beat it. Grab yourself some food and give it another shot. You have a baseline right now - 7 second failure. Say hitting that trick attack clears it for you, then you'll have a new mark based on how many seconds you had left.

I just found a SSS calculator that's really cool. http://ffxiv.2digitalgames.de/ I punched in 7% failure on NiddEX for ninja and it says you did just under 1400 dps. You're doing well for where you're at. Keep up the good work, but still always try to find ways to improve. You can always eek out a bit more here and there. You're about 100 DPS shy right now of clearing that from what the calculator says, but you can get that with a gear upgrade or two.

Also I'm bored I'm gonna log on if people need seph or nidd I'll run it with them.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 3, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Xenoveritas posted:

I'm assuming this is an unsourced OF quote? It's so hard to tell these days.

there really are a lot (and I mean a lot) of bad dps out there and there's really no way for them to know. SSS is a good start, but it really needs to give a lot more feedback.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It'd be nice to know who to use my drat balance cards on, that's for sure. Especially in the 8 mans you just toss it on someone and hope they're not poo poo.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao source your quotes goon sire XD

So does that mean you think an already toxic community should have even more tools to be assholes to other players over?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think that assholes are going to be assholes regardless of the tools at their disposal, and that that's a terrible justification for withholding those tools from everyone else.

And, as I said, the lack of those tools is also enabling assholes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenoveritas posted:

So does that mean you think an already toxic community should have even more tools to be assholes to other players over?

People can be assholes >because< there's no way to measure DPS. Most of the time people who want to be douches will be regardless of having an actual reason or not. I mean, not a while ago someone just posted that he tries to let his party members die on purpose so they'll value him as a tank.

I'll be honest, people seem far more annoyed running 4-mans in this game than they ever did doing 5-man dungeons in the 10 years I played WoW. I'm pretty sure having or not Recount as an addon has nothing to do with either.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 3, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Mr. Nice! posted:

i225 sounds like around the spot where you should be able to beat it. Grab yourself some food and give it another shot. You have a baseline right now - 7 second failure. Say hitting that trick attack clears it for you, then you'll have a new mark based on how many seconds you had left.

I just found a SSS calculator that's really cool. http://ffxiv.2digitalgames.de/ I punched in 7% failure on NiddEX for ninja and it says you did just under 1400 dps. You're doing well for where you're at. Keep up the good work, but still always try to find ways to improve. You can always eek out a bit more here and there. You're about 100 DPS shy right now of clearing that from what the calculator says, but you can get that with a gear upgrade or two.

Also I'm bored I'm gonna log on if people need seph or nidd I'll run it with them.

what's your in-game name so i can attempt seph/nidd

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

As long as you have some understanding of how a class works you can easily see if the DPS is doing good/middling/bad. You cant actually give them hard numbers but you could try to explain how the class works to see if they can get better. Yeah sometimes you will see the ice mage that refuses to play it any other way but more often than not these are people that just have no experience in the game and will probably try to improve.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cao Ni Ma posted:

As long as you have some understanding of how a class works you can easily see if the DPS is doing good/middling/bad. You cant actually give them hard numbers but you could try to explain how the class works to see if they can get better. Yeah sometimes you will see the ice mage that refuses to play it any other way but more often than not these are people that just have no experience in the game and will probably try to improve.
This has not been my experience trying to gently nudge DRKs into using Darkside or politely suggesting that BRDs use their DoTs.

When I'm running content with friends and get a bad, we actually celebrate over Discord when they actually take advice and try to improve, since it happens so rarely :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

General Morden posted:

what's your in-game name so i can attempt seph/nidd

We just finished sephex with 4 newbies. I gotta stretch my legs real quick before I get into anything else just yet, but I will do this again soon it was super easy to take people through especially with echo. I'm Hank Nice in game.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Mr. Nice! posted:

there really are a lot (and I mean a lot) of bad dps out there and there's really no way for them to know. SSS is a good start, but it really needs to give a lot more feedback.
people who are poo poo aren't going to suddenly start playing better when something tells them so

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
When I first tried SSS I was expecting something of a mock battle against the primal instead of a simple dps check.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
A simple DPS check that doesn't have an accuracy check either, which is a baffling oversight.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, if they added a deeps calculator in the game, I'd be screwed. I get by with my lovable personality and swole roe cuteness, if dgkk realized I was a terrible player they'd kick me out :(

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Sold some old tf2 hats and got a "free" month of ff14 by buying the steam version woohoo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

kafziel posted:

A simple DPS check that doesn't have an accuracy check either, which is a baffling oversight.
I guess it mainly works now as a warning, like "if you can't finish the dummy version, don't expect to clear the real one" rather than positively telling you that you actually can beat the thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Martman posted:

I guess it mainly works now as a warning, like "if you can't finish the dummy version, don't expect to clear the real one" rather than positively telling you that you actually can beat the thing.

I wouldn't mind if they put in a way to practice mechanics more complicated than 'don't stand in colors'.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh poo poo this game has triple triad?? I got a real problem now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Davoren posted:

Oh poo poo this game has triple triad?? I got a real problem now.

Only in that it's stupid and waste of time even by MMO standards

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

i wasn't aware shitloads of accuracy was the super secret tech

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
He's a bard, he's gotta make sure his arrows don't miss :downs:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

LethalGeek posted:

Only in that it's stupid and waste of time even by MMO standards

Aw, did they ruin it?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Davoren posted:

Aw, did they ruin it?
That depends. If you count the Card Queen's ability to mess with a region's rules (and therefor be able to cheese the heck out of it) as a central part of the game, Triple Triad is ruined for you.

If not, then it's pretty much the same as ever, including NPC's that gain a huge benefit from the Random/'your playing deck is made up of random cards from your inventory and my NPC inventory is way smaller than yours' rule.

If you're not serious about being a Triple Triad master you don't have to play them though.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Friends,

Should I resub to this game?

Also is the 3rd guild a flop and transferring back to the main guild easy?

xxoo

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Man Musk posted:

Friends,

xxoo

Yes

No, yes

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

That calculator is cool and good. Thank you.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ignimbrite posted:

He's a bard, he's gotta make sure his arrows don't miss :downs:

i mean, an acc relic isn't necessarily garbage if they're using it to hit specific breakpoints, and picking up the crit/det/ss somewhere else, but im guessing they did not do that

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

For all that people keep parroting the same thing about Steam, if a discount of $10-20 on something you might have to purchase every two years is a deal-breaker, you should probably avoid subscription-based MMOs entirely.

You're not wrong, but unless you want Steam to constantly be telling you how much of your life you have wasted in game there is no real benefit or features you can't just get by adding the launcher to your Steam library and running it that way.

I know folks have used Steam streaming to watch me play, the overlay works fine and the hundreds of Steam goons on my friends list can verify that screenshots work all too well.

More than the potential savings of a few bucks I think that FFXIV Steam just gets a bit of a bad rap here because of how kludgy it gets with folks trying to do free trials and the like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tortolia posted:

You're not wrong, but unless you want Steam to constantly be telling you how much of your life you have wasted in game there is no real benefit or features you can't just get by adding the launcher to your Steam library and running it that way.

I know folks have used Steam streaming to watch me play, the overlay works fine and the hundreds of Steam goons on my friends list can verify that screenshots work all too well.

More than the potential savings of a few bucks I think that FFXIV Steam just gets a bit of a bad rap here because of how kludgy it gets with folks trying to do free trials and the like.

It's more SE's side of the deal than problems with the actual Steam version. They've done Steam integration exceptionally kludgy and counter intuitively compared to pretty much ever other company that's used Steam as another release platform.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is that calculator updated for the 3.3 BRD buffs? I'm assuming so because it has Nidhogg EX but eh.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is that calculator updated for the 3.3 BRD buffs? I'm assuming so because it has Nidhogg EX but eh.

I don't understand how the BRD buffs would affect it, since the calculation is just (dummy HP) / (3 minutes - time remaining) or (dummy HP * (1 - percent left)) / (3 minutes), depending on whether you manage to kill it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

AST talk:

I don't play one at the moment, but all I gotta say, being mostly DPS: They are my favorite healer because it means sometimes they'll give me that shiny little sun icon which is my cue to just go completely loving berserk, available cooldowns notwithstanding. It just feels good, maaaan. Gimme dat lucky old sun.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
AST is fun and I enjoy playing it, but not having a faerie equivalent in noct sect really hurts it in comparison to SCH.

Also, I feel like I can do decently in easy content with it, but I would have no goddamn clue what to do in EX primals or raids :psyduck: It doesn't have WHM's sheer heal power/cooldowns or SCH's pocket healer, plus it has the additional dimension of cards to manage over DPS and keeping everyone alive, it seems like it would get overwhelming really fast when people are actually dying all around you and you have to press every button real quick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Card management is really easy when you boil it down to maximizing your bps (balances per second).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
According to the launcher, the release date for 3.35 is Tuesday, July 19.

isk fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 4, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Man Musk posted:

Friends,

xxoo

The third guild isn't quite as active as its roster might indicate but it's still very active and rustling up at least a few goons to help with stuff ain't difficult at all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We haven't done an inactivity purge in like a year in PBC it feels like, so nobody's roster is really indicative of activity level right now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

We haven't done an inactivity purge in like a year in PBC it feels like, so nobody's roster is really indicative of activity level right now.

I recently resubbed after quitting last August or so and was still in PBC. Surprised the hell outta me thats for sure. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Since I no longer play, but Square has some deal going on with Amazon at the moment - here is one promo code for the FFXIV Summer DLC thing.

X5CD-AT9R-MIF1-MXNW

Enjoy!

• Locked thread