Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

extra stout posted:

Litany's post is good, even if you hate goons or are one of the people the leader of our kin kicked out for being too funny you would still do well to play on our server Landroval, because it's very popular and has a lot of great people. It's also mostly focused on raiding, questing, and community events, where as Arkenstone is more focused on PVP which goons never put much time into. It's a very repetitive, marginal part of the game and even on the most PVP oriented server you will always have several days of the week where most of the players are questing or raiding or throwing a party and the PVP zones are dead.

Thanks. I'm downloading a couple expansions now via Steam. Seems I can't even log into the lotro site due to authentication errors.

I and some friends were in Nazgun at release but haven't played in a long time and as far as I know never got banned, but I am very quiet. I will join you guys on Landroval at some point soon. Just a casual player though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Evil Fluffy posted:

Since you hit 45 go to Eregion and start the Moria intro. I'm pretty sure the LI weapon you'll get from doing that starts out better than the bow you're describing, to say nothing of how much better it'll be once you've started leveling it. You might need to go inside Moria for a quest/turn=in for the 2nd start LI as well.

Like BNW mentioned, VIP doesn't give expansions but I'm pretty sure all epic quest stuff except Helm's Deep is available without the related expansion. Hit 45, go do the Moria intro (get someone to craft you some gear if yours is bad, since you'll be fighting a lot of 49-50 mobs) to get the free start LIs and then go back to whatever and level to 50 while leveling those free LIs which completely blow away anything you could get from the pre-Moria content.

I found the dwarf and got the legendary weapon ( a dagger) and so I went to see a forge master and it says I can't equip it until I'm lvl 51. Thanks Obama.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Desmond posted:

Thanks. I'm downloading a couple expansions now via Steam. Seems I can't even log into the lotro site due to authentication errors.

I and some friends were in Nazgun at release but haven't played in a long time and as far as I know never got banned, but I am very quiet. I will join you guys on Landroval at some point soon. Just a casual player though.

Anytime, post your char name if you want some free stuff or need a re-invite.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fat Jesus posted:

I found the dwarf and got the legendary weapon ( a dagger) and so I went to see a forge master and it says I can't equip it until I'm lvl 51. Thanks Obama.

So the weapon you were given directly as part of the intro has a level requirement higher than the quest you get it from? You didn't get a level 51 LI drop and confuse the two? Because if Turbine went back and put level reqs on the intro LIs that'd be really bizarre and a waste of their skeleton crew's time. Once you finished the intro and gained access to the mines I believe there's a final quest inside that basically gives you a 2nd LI (since all classes use two LIs).

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
In the in-game store, I see a Mines of Moria expansion, and then a cheaper Mines of Moria quest pack. If I were to purchase the quest pack, does this mean I can pick up the full expansion later, minus the TP cost of the quest pack?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
speaking of LIs and junk what would be the best Legacies for imbuement for a Redline Captain and a Tanking (Man)Warden

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Daler Mehndi posted:

In the in-game store, I see a Mines of Moria expansion, and then a cheaper Mines of Moria quest pack. If I were to purchase the quest pack, does this mean I can pick up the full expansion later, minus the TP cost of the quest pack?

Doubtful. I have all the pre-Moria quest packs but the big Eriador quest pack still shows as full price for me (and I don't think it'd actually give me anything I don't have atm).

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Can Isriafel get an invite?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bear is driving! posted:

Can Isriafel get an invite?

Sure thing someone will hopefully be on the next time you are too

Daler Mehndi posted:

Nope, no cost efficient way of approaching it that way, the expansion is worth it especially at the current lotro website/steam prices, the quest pack will leave out I think Lothlorien? And the Runekepeer and Warden classes. Probably other things I'm forgetting too, but those at least.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Edit: switched to a runekeeper instead, Carely.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 29, 2016

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Desmond posted:

Just made a new minstrel, Jaderil.

Let me know if you need anything from a Historian - Eoannes in game.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I have a discord going if anyone who's playing wants to use it:

https://discord.gg/ec8cM

Feel free to use the voice channels/chat channels as you please.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 1, 2016

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Cnidario posted:

Let me know if you need anything from a Historian - Eoannes in game.

Thanks. I think I'm cool. I had some older characters with bags, etc. I did change to a RK for a bit. Not sure what I'll do longterm.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'm really impressed with Turbine lately, honestly I think the only reason why we don't have a full squad is because of the couple of years of lovely ultra slow content after the WB buy out and firing of half the staff. Even this update being delayed by a week or so impresses me, because it's still here in Summer as promised and I'd rather see the raid not have two bugged boss fights as people were talking about on the forums.

I think it'll be a good raid. Their biggest challenge is really just getting people to 105, I think they should stall 110 as long as possible, maybe even more than the 6 month number they spoke of as it takes a lot of good work to convince people to come back to your MMO instead of go to one of the ten big new ones each year.

One question I'd love any insight or even guesses on: The Nazgul looking fellow we see on the login screen right now is the same image (if memory serves) as the two new Nazgul looking outfits still a week later listed under 'new items coming to the store!' on their website. Is this just a poor layout of the bottom of the page? Or could this really be either a skin/outfit for a currently existing creep class, or some kind of Cargul class being added to monster play? Probably means nothing, just weird that after a week of being up it's still the image they used for 'new items coming to the store'. Can't imagine they'd let us wear that on freep side.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So what's the best place to find a deal on gametime for LOTRO? Looking to jump back into this in the near future, but I remember being subbed is basically required if you want to see all the content, since a ton of areas/quests are just locked behind the VIP.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Rookersh posted:

So what's the best place to find a deal on gametime for LOTRO? Looking to jump back into this in the near future, but I remember being subbed is basically required if you want to see all the content, since a ton of areas/quests are just locked behind the VIP.

As far as I know, nothing is completely locked behind VIP, you can buy quest packs to get whatever content you want. VIP gets you everything for as long as you are subbed, but you do still have to buy expansions to obtain that content.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

flowinprose posted:

As far as I know, nothing is completely locked behind VIP, you can buy quest packs to get whatever content you want. VIP gets you everything for as long as you are subbed, but you do still have to buy expansions to obtain that content.

Yeah I meant the quest packs. I bought the DLC already.

I'm a crazy person who wants to see all the content in the game, so I want to see all the quest packs. Subbing seems like a cheaper way of doing that, unless I'm wrong?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Rookersh posted:

I'm a crazy person who wants to see all the content in the game, so I want to see all the quest packs. Subbing seems like a cheaper way of doing that, unless I'm wrong?

If you want to just take one character through the game, particularly if you plan to level fairly quickly, then subbing is probably cheaper.

If you are not going to be leveling very quickly, or if you were planning to play for a very long time (i.e. leveling several alts all the way to max level) then purchasing quest packs might be cheaper.

Once you get to max level you can always cancel the sub and buy the quest packs for the end game content. Just keep in mind you won't necessarily be able to do all of the scaled instances in that case, since most of those are tied to other content packs.

Personally if you play a lot, I think subbing is worth it. It's only ~$10/month if you purchase 3 months at a time (at least the last time I looked?) and you get 500 store points per month as a VIP (equivalent to ~$5), so if you were ever planning to use the LOTRO store it's basically like the sub costs $5/month.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 3, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rookersh posted:

In the immediate sense and considering the game is 9 1/2 years old, yeah VIP is the cheapest. If you started collecting quest packs when the game went F2P and bought them on sale you basically got 90 percent of the entire video game for like 30 bucks a year.

If you don't already own a lot of quest packs or if you plan to PVP VIP is definitely the best deal, and to answer your earlier question the best deal all of the time is I think $99 for a year, the best deal when it goes on sale is less, I believe some people have gotten it on sale for about 80 bucks then leave it to auto-renew yearly at the sale price. Those sales aren't guaranteed or timed with winter/summer sales so I don't know when it'll go cheaper than 99 honestly.

also 18.2 is here, The Return of The Raid

I'm still reading up on it and patching so all I'll post for now is this

quote:

Little Műmak Pet
595 Turbine Points

More small bits of news

Check your houses, you got another dozen or so item slots we've been asking about for years, new icons for a lot of housing items that had no icon or a generic and confusing icon, and at the small price of having to re-decorate your scrambled up house :)

This has to be the first time since Moria that I have more slots in my deluxe house than I do items worth displaying, awesome. One more little reason I want to check out the new barter items

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 5, 2016

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I personally choose to buy the quest packs instead of subscribing, so that I can play at my own pace and not feel like I have to log in just because I have a subscription running. I haven't bought the latest quest pack though because I don't have time to raid and don't want to pay a 1200 TP premium over the usual quest pack price for content that I won't access. Maybe during the holidays they'll have a sale on it. I'd likely subscribe if LOTRO was the only game I was actively playing, but I have Overwatch, Destiny, and the Witcher 3 taking up 100% of my gaming time.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
So I've joined a PUG for the Dreaded Terror yesterday. We made about 6 or 7 attempts at the first boss and almost beat it. Got it down to 1.4 millions HP (out of 10.5 millions) but always wiped in the end.

We used the strategy of having 2 groups, one on each side of the boss, all the players of each group stand at the same place so that the damage is divided on each players. My LM was at 25k HP with all the buff and I was dieing at least once per battle from the massive damage.

I'm still wearing a lot of lvl 100 gold and teal stuff, decent gear for 100 but it might be lacking for 105 raid.

Oh yeah this was T1. T2 he start apparently with 23M hp lol.

Anyway, it was still fun even if we didn't beat it and wiped at each attempt, there was progression and learning by all.

It's a nice change of pace from the usually easy encounters in the game.

Anyone beat it yet ?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

So I've joined a PUG for the Dreaded Terror yesterday. We made about 6 or 7 attempts at the first boss and almost beat it. Got it down to 1.4 millions HP (out of 10.5 millions) but always wiped in the end.

We used the strategy of having 2 groups, one on each side of the boss, all the players of each group stand at the same place so that the damage is divided on each players. My LM was at 25k HP with all the buff and I was dieing at least once per battle from the massive damage.

I'm still wearing a lot of lvl 100 gold and teal stuff, decent gear for 100 but it might be lacking for 105 raid.

Oh yeah this was T1. T2 he start apparently with 23M hp lol.

Anyway, it was still fun even if we didn't beat it and wiped at each attempt, there was progression and learning by all.

It's a nice change of pace from the usually easy encounters in the game.

Anyone beat it yet ?

Haven't tried it yet, I've been chatting and reading about and it's nice to know the very specific groups used to beat it so far on T2C probably won't be needed for T1, and if a variety of classes can't find groups for T2C I wouldn't doubt if we get some simple numbers type of class balancing, or a change to the raid to benefit classes on some fights, probably whichever requires less work.

Currently the super groups are usually a Guardian tank with a lot of redline Runekeepers and at least one LM, so I'm betting you can find groups even before everyone has the strat down. I see we've got a 105 guard if Khammer feels like trying it, two 105 LMs so aside from our lack of Runekeepers (if anyone knows Electrocute tell him to start playing again) we could actually have a pretty easy time figuring out T1.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

extra stout posted:

(if anyone knows Electrocute tell him to start playing again)

He's one of several of us who are playing FFXIV with a likely near-zero chance of coming back to Lotro to raid.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Makes me wish I had the time that I did 5 years ago, I'd totally take a stab at tanking on my Guard. Especially since there would be a lot less of the serious business blowhards than there was when I last raided in this game during Moria.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

More layoffs at Turbine, apparently: http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/07/rumor-more-layoffs-for-turbine/

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

A horrible idiot who was fired for being a bad community manager leaks a probably true layoff by pretending to offer internet therapy to the people who mostly aren't the same people he worked with. Not too surprising, they drop everyone they hired except some core team members to balance and fix stuff at the end of each expansion pack since the WB buyout.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Shame we'll never get Turbine's original vision for LOTRO (essentially UO in Middle Earth)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0ogD_HMn0

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Warner Bros statement:

quote:

“Turbine is transitioning into a free-to-play, mobile development studio, and as a result we are eliminating some positions. The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons online games will continue to operate as they do now. Re-focusing and reducing the studio size was a difficult decision for the company, and we are grateful to all of the Turbine staff for their considerable contributions.”

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What a shame. They have a huge opportunity to cut out a sizable niche for themselves by returning to the Asheron's Call series or making a proper sandbox title... Because they'd be the only Western AAA developer creating an MMO at this point in time (that we know about).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Yeah it's a shame but predictable. If you've been around long enough you know they barely capitalized on The Hobbit despite WB owning both now or whatever, they made the worst attempt at a MOBA maybe ever in both design and visuals, and timing even. Literally nothing redeeming about it and it took big money away from LOTRO. But it's not a surprise, they're not even going on what works for them, they're going on what statistically makes more money with a lower investment in the modern market.

Still, all dumb business ideas aside this won't change LoTRO anytime soon because it's been running on a skeleton crew for a good while already.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me if they hired some temporary help to produce the raid and then laid them off now that it's been released.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Frelorn(that's the Community Manager) is among the layoffs.
Vyvyanne(the Executive Producer) has not been heard from since April, which is a huge departure from her usual routine of posting weekly on the forums.
It's not clear if Made Of Lions(the main lore/story guy) is still around or not. If he's gone, we're *majorly* hosed.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Brave New World posted:

Frelorn(that's the Community Manager) is among the layoffs.
Vyvyanne(the Executive Producer) has not been heard from since April, which is a huge departure from her usual routine of posting weekly on the forums.
It's not clear if Made Of Lions(the main lore/story guy) is still around or not. If he's gone, we're *majorly* hosed.

I think in terms of expansion/content production you don't need a huge core team, by them saying they want to transition to a mobile development platform to me it suggest particular work will be contracted out but they don't want to have a lot of people in permanent positions. When you look at smaller developers, they can't afford to have a huge staff and they will contract out specialised work.

I'd suggest even in a trimmed down company like Turbine, there would still have been a lot of inefficiencies left over from being a larger developer. They are obviously looking to keep costs down, it would allow the game to survive for longer with a smaller user base.

One way or another the game will either eventually die in the short-to-medium term or something radical will have to change to the UI/Engine/Gameplay for it to survive long-term. It is on the death trajectory atm. I think WB is just seeing how many chairs they can pull up to maximise their revenue from it before it falls over.

Turbine is still getting new projects like a Game of Thrones based game, they are still hiring people, the game just isn't going to generate the revenue to justify employment of a lot of people. Realistically, when you look at a game like Path of Exile which is made by an 18 person dev team from NZ, the extent of development work they put on their client and engine and their ability to launch gateways all over the world and have everyone around the world play a full collision game with the same flawless experience makes you realise just how underwhelming the development has been on LOTRO.

It is a shame, but there are people out there doing better work with fewer resources.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm still too engaged in EverQuest on the Phinny TLP server, but I still keep up with LOTRO - that said, this is pretty neat: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/stable-master-developer-diary

Also cool just to see all of LOTRO's content on a single map.

I do really want to get to level 105 at some point, heh. EQ is just so drat time consuming, we're always busy.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

I'm still too engaged in EverQuest on the Phinny TLP server, but I still keep up with LOTRO - that said, this is pretty neat: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/stable-master-developer-diary

Also cool just to see all of LOTRO's content on a single map.

I do really want to get to level 105 at some point, heh. EQ is just so drat time consuming, we're always busy.

Wow that is really cool. Now they just need a chicken quest that requires you to run from Forochel all the way down to western Gondor.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

flowinprose posted:

Wow that is really cool. Now they just need a chicken quest that requires you to run from Forochel all the way down to western Gondor.

Oh man, I was planning on doing the final one of those. Is it suicidal to do without any guards? I figure that with the quick travel points it could be a lot safer? Maybe?

I still log on at least once a week, before to bingo, and I'm still trying to make the Saturday night thing, when available. Got some great help last help in the Trollshaws from a kind and patient kin-member. Also finally finished Tarlang's Crown thanks to some unknown people. It's not so hard to get things running in world, even obscure missions it seems.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Jaia just invited my guardian Vhalgar into the kin when we ran Dark Delvings together. Been meaning to get around to joining for a while now. I'll be on a good deal getting this guy through literally every quest & deed in Moria.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh man, I was planning on doing the final one of those. Is it suicidal to do without any guards? I figure that with the quick travel points it could be a lot safer? Maybe?

The one to Rivendell includes stealth mobs who can and will gently caress you up instantly and without warning. When we did the goon chicken run a few years ago I think someone still died even with a couple guards running around AOEing and trying to pot shot the lynxes and other sneaky mobs.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I guess I got lucky on my Trollshaw run. I died twice and then made it on the third attempt, though the Doodles may've of been guarding me. I do remember failing to guard them once. Or I'm misremembering something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Brave New World posted:

Jaia just invited my guardian Vhalgar into the kin when we ran Dark Delvings together. Been meaning to get around to joining for a while now. I'll be on a good deal getting this guy through literally every quest & deed in Moria.

Hey there that's me. Happy to have helped :)