Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tollymain posted:

look you try maintaining a consistent sense of place and time with the undead curse ravaging your mind :v:

This is a good explanation for it, and there's already several NPCs (Maughlin and Cale) that confess forgetting things, like why they came to Drangleic in the first place. And that becomes a major theme of the game. You're losing your mind, and you end up forgetting how far you've really come. One day you will walk those grounds, without really knowing why.

But my personal theory is that space is being warped, much like how time shifts and wavers. Something about the fading of the Fire causes the fabric of reality to be distorted. Walk through a door, and exit a hundred miles away. I think this is what it's supposed to be, especially since DS3 takes it several steps further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
Vicas and Kuvo both already touched on the geography. The idea that were trying to present with the game was that you were treking all over an entire continent. So the tunnel from Majula to Heide, for example, actually covered a lot more ground than the player experiences. This comes up all over the place.

The problem was, they should have included some longer transitory tunnels to really make the intent clear. Since they didn't, you get bits that really look wrong, like how the distance Heide appears to be from Majula and how long it takes to actually get there.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Nihilarian posted:

Why don't we talk about literally anything else?

So, that circular area with 3 of those big knight dudes in Heide's Tower of Flame! As I recall the two standing back are reluctant to attack you until the guy in the middle is dead, which is nice, although those two at once can still be tough. Not that it's a bad idea to just chuck poo poo at him and not deal with his bullshit either. I am bad at fighting the two-handed ones, so I usually fill that one full of arrows myself.

EDIT: that's not aimed at you LTW

Yeah, you can just straight up fight the greatsword knight in that little arena. Unless you basically run headlong into one of the other knights they won't aggro until he's dead. Makes that section a lot easier to deal with once you know that so you don't have to kite him all the way to a better position.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wouldn't do this otherwise but the constant geography talk has forced my hand.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good explanation for it, and there's already several NPCs (Maughlin and Cale) that confess forgetting things, like why they came to Drangleic in the first place. And that becomes a major theme of the game. You're losing your mind, and you end up forgetting how far you've really come. One day you will walk those grounds, without really knowing why.

But my personal theory is that space is being warped, much like how time shifts and wavers. Something about the fading of the Fire causes the fabric of reality to be distorted. Walk through a door, and exit a hundred miles away. I think this is what it's supposed to be, especially since DS3 takes it several steps further.

And if you die in the post-dragonrider areas you can just see your bloodstain floating in the air. It's really not well constructed in the way DS1 or 3 are where there's always a sense of 'Wait THAT'S where I loving was?!'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Licia's a fun character. I love the job her voice actress did. Her line about fighting the urge to run away but needing to do this has this perfect little catch in it, and given how shady she is you'd think she's just good at drama, but then you gotta remember no, no, con-woman or not she's wandered into freaking Souls-land and that poo poo's no joke at all.

Setz is a treasure.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.

gibb3h posted:

One episode behind again, sorry :(

You should add thread closed counter too.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
yeah! and when do they ever poo poo on 24?????

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't add a thread closure counter some jackass will attempt to get a higher score

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I keep hearing this game isn't great next to Dark Souls, but it's still a good game in its own right. But then when people talk about specific parts of it, they always make it sound like this overall low-effort thing, with poor level design and mechanics that either don't work well together or are outright broken. "B-team," hitboxes and such. Where is the good part?

I'm just curious as someone who's never played this. Not looking for an argument or some kind of shitstorm.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Tollymain posted:

don't add a thread closure counter some jackass will attempt to get a higher score

They have proven time and time again unable to resist the compulsion to backseat game anyway. A tracking count of the many variants of tongue but hole however...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

magikid posted:

I keep hearing this game isn't great next to Dark Souls, but it's still a good game in its own right. But then when people talk about specific parts of it, they always make it sound like this overall low-effort thing, with poor level design and mechanics that either don't work well together or are outright broken. "B-team," hitboxes and such. Where is the good part?

I'm just curious as someone who's never played this. Not looking for an argument or some kind of shitstorm.
Every game in the series has various flaws, but they all have the same core combat, exploration, and atmosphere that's cool and good.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

magikid posted:

It's complicated. Basically, once the internet found out that Miyazaki wasn't the director for this one, they suddenly were capable of casting aside that "this series is untouchably perfect and every so called flaw is actually a feature and here's why" viewpoint and suddenly all those flaws were able to be noticed as such.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Delacroix posted:

They have proven time and time again unable to resist the compulsion to backseat game anyway. A tracking count of the many variants of tongue but hole however...

A secret counter that only gets posted at the end of the LP would work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Didn't even notice the edit at first. Beautiful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Miacis posted:

I'm not sure why they felt the need to add that silly line on Licia, considering she felt shifty enough without a cartoon "I'll steal your money I MEAN HELP YOUR JOURNEY". It is kinda lazy writing, yeah.
I liked it, but then I thought Patches the Hyena was wonderful. :allears: Yes please tell me more about the treasures in this pit, of course I'll get closer and lean down for a better look! Licia isn't subtly-written, and it's charming.

I, too, always forget about the very opening of the game, where you fall into a whirlpool.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Pirates of Punzance is going to be amazing :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chrisoya posted:

I liked it, but then I thought Patches the Hyena was wonderful. :allears: Yes please tell me more about the treasures in this pit, of course I'll get closer and lean down for a better look! Licia isn't subtly-written, and it's charming.
I like it too, but for a different reason: it's hard to do subtle when you don't have a baseline. Just about every character in the game has a creepy laugh and talks in double entendres, how do you make her shiftier than the rest?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

magikid posted:

it's all the good part, this game just got a weird narrative around it

i'm sure the dark souls 2 thread in games would be delighted to give you a more detailed answer

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

anilEhilated posted:

I like it too, but for a different reason: it's hard to do subtle when you don't have a baseline. Just about every character in the game has a creepy laugh and talks in double entendres, how do you make her shiftier than the rest?

Especially since the devs can reasonably expect that people knew about the whole 'wait the god that the clerics in Boletaria (Demon Souls) worshiped was the Old One!?' so they had to do something different with Licia. It's pretty neat.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I haven't bothered with the SotFS edition because stuff like the new enemy placement just doesn't look all that interesting to me.
But the new Pools of Blood feature almost makes me want to fork over the 8,50 for the upgrade. There's just something magical about watching a half a dozen players meet their end all at once. :allears:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

magikid posted:

Where is the good part?
There's a good part coming in the very next episode.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Archenteron posted:

Pirates of Punzance is going to be amazing :allears:

Alternatively, H.M.S Punafore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think for me the thing that originally put me off a little is that the game has a sort of uncanny valley with the first; it's very much its own game and a lot of mechanics have changed, enough to make playing it exactly like DS1 not work out too well. So at first it feels really awkward coming from DS1 to this, as we could see with Geop. I've gotten used to it by now, though.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Delacroix posted:

We'd run into integer overflow issues if we tried to track that one, I'm sure. :v:

anilEhilated posted:

That is true enough. The writing still feels a bit clunkey for it but if it was an absolute necessity to make her stand out as being extra-shifty then it is what it is.

Genocyber posted:

I forget if this works for fist weapons in DS2 (since it varies for weapon class and game) but for such enemies try unlocking and angling the camera downward. That will aim the hitboxes of some weapon's attacks a bit more downward, letting you more easily hit enemies low to the ground.

I think Dark Souls 2 is generally kinda bad about this one. I recall it being a pretty major issue in Demon's Souls too. gently caress those Crystal Geckos. But yeah, this does let some weapons aim their swings lower in general. I think Dark Souls 1 was pretty good about aiming swings to the lock-on point but Dark Souls 2 may require you to unlock to get it angled down far enough.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 3, 2016

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

omg

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

dear god this is amazing :staredog:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Goonther shouldn't feel too bad about not going for a Faith build, because they used to be insanely good and From tends to overcorrect on certain things, especially when it comes to magic.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There is the notable disadvantage of not being able to throw lightning out your hands.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Lightning was severely nerfed in DS2, so it's not nearly as attractive as it once was.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The magic system as a whole feels underwhelming, though that is mostly because of how the base system itself changed and the ramifications of those changes (no somewhat early falchion to get you MP regen etc.) though faith support casters have some pretty good options besides healing themselves with the biggest being infinite homeward bones VIA Homeward (sold by Licia) for example.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Smoky Bandana posted:

Didn't even notice the edit at first. Beautiful.

there's an edit?

is this a weird loss.jpg edit

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I had a Str/Fth build for my first run and honestly I liked it even if only because having those Heals in my pocket was always a big confidence/bravery boost when exploring. It's a bit of a psychological effect but I think it allowed me to enjoy the game more, especially since I'm the type that feels weirdly bad about using up consumables. And besides, faith has more use than just miracles.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

The magic system as a whole feels underwhelming, though that is mostly because of how the base system itself changed and the ramifications of those changes (no somewhat early falchion to get you MP regen etc.) though faith support casters have some pretty good options besides healing themselves with the biggest being infinite homeward bones VIA Homeward (sold by Licia) for example.

Really? I feel this game is probably the best for handling magic of the Souls games (beat out by Bloodborne if you count that). There's better spell variety than all of the other games, especially with the DLCs. Offensive faith builds aren't as powerful since they nerfed lightning spears, but clerics aren't really supposed to be spell chuckers any who.

As far as cast number goes, the game hands you MP restoratives like candy so it's not hard to have, if not infinite casts, then way more than you probably ought to.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DOOP posted:

there's an edit?

is this a weird loss.jpg edit

it did not originally say try jumping

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!

Arrhythmia posted:

it did not originally say try jumping

Also, the Legendary Onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Really? I feel this game is probably the best for handling magic of the Souls games (beat out by Bloodborne if you count that). There's better spell variety than all of the other games, especially with the DLCs. Offensive faith builds aren't as powerful since they nerfed lightning spears, but clerics aren't really supposed to be spell chuckers any who.

As far as cast number goes, the game hands you MP restoratives like candy so it's not hard to have, if not infinite casts, then way more than you probably ought to.

Magic in general is significantly less powerful than it was in DS1, but that's because magic in DS1 was insanely overpowered.

• Locked thread