Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

Hal is being disingenuous as gently caress. Dilbit sinks and is notoriously difficult to remove from an area after a spill due to its high density. Dilbit is unrefined and is therefore absolutely full of higher and lower molecular weight carcinogens which poison any aqueous environment because of its inability to clean up. Thirdly, dilbit because of its unrefined nature is corrosive with respect to the pipeline and reduces the pipeline's lifespan and increases its expected spill frequency and makes monitoring for spills more difficult due to its higher density. This is especially concerning in the case of existing old pipelines built for refined crude being repurposed for transport of dilbit. So these pipelines will have a higher fail rate with greater consequences as a result both its unrefined nature and difficulty in clean up.

Another disingenuous thing promoters do is focus on pipeline safety only. That's not really the loving issue. IDGAF about pipelines really. The issue is loading up tankers with this poo poo and running them through one of the most complex and stormy coastal areas in the world.

Pipeline busts, theoretically the system should be able to detect it and shutdown flow. The spill is bad, but limited.

Tanker gets cracked open, and you gently caress up one of the most beautiful, ecologically diverse and culturally important places in our province for probably our whole lifetimes. It only has to happen once.

The risk has never been worth it for BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I was in Vancouver at 14th and the Drive for a week with friends. Coming back on the 17th for a week or so. Thinking of moving there for a year or so... nice but June-uary was a shock.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pixelante posted:

Didn't even realise events were at Cypress. Thought they were all at Whistler, which shows how much I give a poo poo about sports. I was kicking around the parties downtown Van, which I'll admit were a lot of fun and well managed by the city. I'm just not sure the cost was worth it to the rest of BC.
Cypress was where the ski cross and snowboard cross was held. I had tix for ski cross and although it was a rainy slush bowl it was a great time. Helps that a Canadian woman won gold, too.

You could do a lot worse than Calgary for the winter olympics. Since they've already had a winter games, there's a lot less sports infrastructure to build. And any transportation infrastructure is poo poo That Probably Should've Been Built Awhile Ago.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Calgary games were almost 30 years ago. Have the facilities been maintained? Would they just want to built new ones if they get the games again?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Cypress was where the ski cross and snowboard cross was held. I had tix for ski cross and although it was a rainy slush bowl it was a great time. Helps that a Canadian woman won gold, too.

I was on my way home when Canada won men's hockey. They delayed docking the ferry because everyone was watching the end of the game from the ship, or watching from the terminal, and no one on either end was going to walk away from a TV to disembark or board.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 9, 2022

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Luge track is still used regularly; it's one of Canada's main training centres for sliding.

Calgary is likely getting a new arena for the Flames anyhow, that plus a fresh coat of paint on the Saddledome is probably sufficient for hockey and skating.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 9, 2022

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I didn't watch the game because I don't give a gently caress

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

namaste faggots posted:

Could you start using punctuation? I totally dig the misanthropy angle but the lack of a period at the end of the sentences makes it seem like you just don't care.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

nice :cool:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you posted at all here last night... whelp.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

Hand back the medals folks, Edgelord McQuaid here didnt watch and deemed the game stupid.

The Olympics is the second biggest loving scam in the word after FIFA, please dont bring them back

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

The Butcher posted:

Another disingenuous thing promoters do is focus on pipeline safety only. That's not really the loving issue. IDGAF about pipelines really. The issue is loading up tankers with this poo poo and running them through one of the most complex and stormy coastal areas in the world.

Pipeline busts, theoretically the system should be able to detect it and shutdown flow. The spill is bad, but limited.

Tanker gets cracked open, and you gently caress up one of the most beautiful, ecologically diverse and culturally important places in our province for probably our whole lifetimes. It only has to happen once.

Or, if something goes wrong with the pipeline leak detection, then the pipeline can just keep on pumping out the stuff for who knows how long.

And I think you are mistaking truck and tanker. The pipeline was not going to be offshore in any sense iirc, so the giant tanker boat part of the chain is not going to be replaced.

If the place is so complex and stormy, maybe we can do wind instead? Or nuclear, I'm down with well-run nuclear.

edit: No wait, I'm agreeing with you, sorry.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Furnaceface posted:

Hand back the medals folks, Edgelord McQuaid here didnt watch and deemed the game stupid.

The Olympics is the second biggest loving scam in the word after FIFA, please dont bring them back

Until the Olympics have a movie about the IOC I disagree.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2814362/

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

The Butcher posted:

This cannot be stated enough. Ships registered in some third world unaccountable shithole, certified by for-profit accreditation agencies competing with each other for the ship owners' business, crewed by the lowest bidders, and owned two or three at a time by numbered companies with limited exposure and the ability to evaporate overnight (unlike their cargo).

Sod that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/749655354955399168

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 26, 2018

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but the olympics were totally worth it right guys

vancouver is now an economic powerhouse in canada because

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-revenue-agency-political-audit-unitarians-justice-liberals-1.3658743

hahah holy poo poo steve-o really hated unitarians

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

namaste faggots posted:

but the olympics were totally worth it right guys

vancouver is now an economic powerhouse in canada because

No bhangra at either the opening or closing ceremonies.

gently caress em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYI2W2ZFegU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
well spousal abuse isn't an olympic sport

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

False, they absolutely bused out those who would go. Ask anyone who was involved in support services like shelters, soup kitchens, food banks, etc, elsewhere in BC.

I volunteer on occasion in the dtes and that's not what I heard, fair enough though, wouldn't surprise me.

Just took the Canada Line to the airport btw and it owns a lot of bones.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

brilliant appeal to the large log cabin tea partier constituency

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nice of BLM to turn public opinion against them once again by shutting down TO Pride for 30 minutes.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...-justin-trudeau

https://twitter.com/alexem/status/749684475022471169

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 4, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Keep radical politics out of Pride, that's what I always say.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If you're queer or you fancy yourself an ally and your opinion is against BLM then you need to sort your fuckin life out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THC posted:

If you're queer or you fancy yourself an ally and your opinion is against BLM then you need to sort your fuckin life out

But they're being so inconvenient.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol

Does they not exist?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Keep radical politics out of Pride, that's what I always say.

John Tory, Idiot King of Toronto posted:

[Pride Toronto] should be careful not to become too political.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

Some of the other [BLM-TO] demands Chantelois agreed to are that the parade will no longer have police floats

quote:

BLM-TO started a conversation with us to explore how we can create an even more inclusive and safe festival.

I don't know if I'd rather comment on the irony of protesting until a certain group is excluded to promote inclusiveness or how quickly the gays gave up the gay police float even right after Orlando. Instead, I'll point out that the leader of BLM TO was the "dear god help me not kill these white people and men today" chick so I can kind of understand why a big part of the queer community might not immediately rally behind her.

e: although I will say the work they did camping outside Wynne's house and making her partner uncomfortable was truly top notch.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 4, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
They were the guests of honor and they blockaded the parade, lol.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

THC posted:

:agreed:

but I mean, heaven forbid the rainbow street party be slightly delayed by queer people demanding a voice in the event meant to represent and validate queer people. What a grave injustice this is.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

I don't know if I'd rather comment on the irony of protesting until a certain group is excluded to promote inclusiveness or how quickly the gays gave up the gay police float even right after Orlando.

Police are not for minorities or poor or working class people so their "inclusion" in our events is sort of lovely

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Delta's on fire right now. It's Burns Bog lol. I was driving home and caught a breaking report on the radio. I would have driven right on to Highway 17 and gotten stuck just as they shut it down, I tuned in at just the right moment to skip the exit.
There were people on their lawns in Surrey watching with binoculars and I was hearing that you could see it from buildings downtown.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fire-crews-battle-burns-bog-fire-in-delta-1.3662928

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Caedus posted:

Delta's on fire right now. It's Burns Bog lol. I was driving home and caught a breaking report on the radio. I would have driven right on to Highway 17 and gotten stuck just as they shut it down, I tuned in at just the right moment to skip the exit.
There were people on their lawns in Surrey watching with binoculars and I was hearing that you could see it from buildings downtown.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fire-crews-battle-burns-bog-fire-in-delta-1.3662928

Aw, it's so cute how Vancouver thinks wildfires in binocular range aren't boring.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Personally, I think it's entirely cool and definitely not at all appalling that Toronto PD were allowed to march in Pride as allies in the first place, since they've made policy changes to their treatment of trans prisoners nearly one entire month ago.

quote:

Toronto Police Services and correctional officers must revamp their policies on interacting with transgender inmates — especially at the point of arrest — after a historic settlement with a man who was stripped of men's clothing, forced into women's underwear and put into a holding cell for women.

[...]

Kodak's legal team on Thursday struck a settlement with police that includes both an award for him, and the promise of changes to policy within police and correctional services. The exact details of both parts of the settlement are still protected by a confidentiality agreement, the man's lawyers said.

[...]

York Regional Police officers knocked on his door in the wee hours of that December morning 3½ years ago, arrested him and turned him over to Toronto police, according to the complaint Kodak filed with the OHRC. A Toronto officer asked Kodak if he was a 58-year-old man, which he confirmed before later handing over his identification.

The documents that confirm his gender identity were updated roughly 20 years ago when he transitioned from female to male. Kodak has facial hair, wears male clothing and has a deep male voice.

But after a strip search, he was moved to the female holding cells. A day later, he was transferred to Vanier Centre for Women, where he was strip searched again and correctional officers took away his penile prosthesis, despite his protests.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"because it's current year" is like.. too weird to be petty? I don't get it.
https://twitter.com/PonNatalie/status/749713956197928960

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

attackmole posted:

They were the guests of honor and they blockaded the parade, lol.

That's entirely unsurprising. Much like they took over Bernie's stage rather than Trump's, it's easier to kick around people who agree with you 99% than people who oppose you.

https://twitter.com/nero/status/749773514949943297

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 4, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BLM caused a minor inconvenience compared to the actual people getting murdered by cops that they protest against so I can't find myself getting upset about that. I don't understand why they chose an event of allies to do it to though.

edit: I mean maybe because cops are allowed into the march? I definitely wouldn't mind if uniformed cops were not allowed to take part in the future

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I just don't understand why they had to make a blockade? Especially since the article makes it sound like they capitulated to demands toute suite.

"WE WILL NOT MOVE UNTIL YOU AGREE TO OUR DEMANDS!!"
"Oh, sure! Whatever you guys want. You know you could've just asked us and opened a dialogue, right? Seems like the hostility was pretty unnecessary."