Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

The nagato is total garbage until you get at least the B hull, but after that it ourclasses the colorado for everything except getting shot in the belt and shooting airplanes.

Agree to disagree, I felt like my Nagato was made of tissue paper and my shots went wild half the time. My Colorado was complete beast mode able to tank pretty much anything and crush dudes like nobody's business.

quote:

Though battleships in general suffer greatly in that there's little they can do to find DDs on their own while simultaneously not posing much of a threat to them even if you do happen to spot one.

Also RE: cruisers burning you to death, I've found that excepting situations where theres 4-5 ships hitting you from multiple directions and starting 3-4 fires on you constantly, fire doesn't pose much of a threat to battleships thanks to the fact that repair party can fix 100% of the damage you take from the fires.

The damage builds up way too much over time though. A Molotov or Myoko who wont disengage and follows you plinking away will may take a while, but they'll either solo you eventually or whittle you down so much that you'll get creamed as soon as you find someone you can land shots on. I really don't have any care in the world when I'm in my Myoko up against BBs, just play with the throttle and always be turning and I can keep 2-3 fires on a BB no problem, all while landing 2-5k salvos every couple of seconds. Pensacola is a bit worse in that you will bounce NOTHING and everybody focuses on you since you're so easy to kill, but I can usually whittle down BB's without much of a problem. This is all T7 cruisers and below though, I don't have anything above that yet. My NC fares quite a bit better vs cruisers, but not THAT much better, and I'm not that impressed with the Amagi yet.

Frankly I doubt I'll go much higher though, playing my Aamagi and NC isn't fun. Everybody sits so far back sniping, and all the other BB's just blast right through your armor. Cruisers don't look like they get much funner either since everything starts moving just as fast as you, you basically trade firepower and armor for a little manuverability and stealth which isn't a good (or fun) trade IMO.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Wait, Colorado used to suck... they fixed it?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JacksLibido posted:

The damage builds up way too much over time though. A Molotov or Myoko who wont disengage and follows you plinking away will may take a while, but they'll either solo you eventually or whittle you down so much that you'll get creamed as soon as you find someone you can land shots on.

It takes so long to do that you should be able to kill them before they kill you.

It really sounds like you're trying to play battleships the same way you play cruisers, which the colorado lends itself to far more than the nagato does.

but seriously if you're routinely getting burned to death by cruisers it's because you hosed up.

DiHK posted:

Wait, Colorado used to suck... they fixed it?
It got an accuracy buff that helped it out, I'm pretty sure it's still the least accurate tier 8 ship atm but it can at least land at least one shell every other volley consistently. Plus it has the magical american AP shell that will never overpen.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 4, 2016

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How would you guys spec out a Nagato-only captain for secondary gimmick?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Advanced Firing Training, Manual Secondary Control, Secondary Module 2. Those are the important bits.

Basic Firing Training is useful but not entirely necessary, and Secondary Module 1 over Main Armament 1 is personal choice. Your main guns ARE still your primary weapon, after all.

Oh, and the Secondary Flag.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm debating between the repair cooldown and torpedo awareness now. Any preferences?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Why not Superintendent?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PSA on high-tier ranked: don't bother with a carrier unless it's a fighter-specced Hiryu with a >=15 point captain. Anything else loses to that setup.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

El Disco posted:

PSA on high-tier ranked: don't bother with a carrier unless it's a fighter-specced Hiryu with a >=15 point captain. Anything else loses to that setup.

Bring in a tier 6 carrier and matchmaking refuses to match you against a tier 7 :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

TheDemon posted:

Bring in a tier 6 carrier and matchmaking refuses to match you against a tier 7 :v:

Yeah but that only works if at least one other person brings another. If you're the only tier VI CV, enjoy your unlimited queue time. :v:

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

It takes so long to do that you should be able to kill them before they kill you.

It really sounds like you're trying to play battleships the same way you play cruisers, which the colorado lends itself to far more than the nagato does.

but seriously if you're routinely getting burned to death by cruisers it's because you hosed up.

It got an accuracy buff that helped it out, I'm pretty sure it's still the least accurate tier 8 ship atm but it can at least land at least one shell every other volley consistently. Plus it has the magical american AP shell that will never overpen.

I don't play BB's much anymore, I'm the one in the cruiser burning BBs down and I really don't have any problems doing it.

I'm not a great player by any means, but for reference my Nagato is sitting at a 42.4% wr and my Colorado is at 57.69%
https://warships.today/player/1004345508/na/Jacks_Libido

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 4, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I finally got to the New Mexico and I'm loving being the unkillable god-king of V-VI ranked (barring Molotovs, that is). The default range is absurdly small though; being outranged by DDs before upgrading is just goofy.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
When you're in a small skirmish and you get lit on fire, use damage control. Especially if the aggressor is dead or about to be. When you're in a big fight and you're getting hammered constantly with HE, repair party is your immediate pop when you get lit. You save damage control for when you've got 2 fires going, and if you fear torpedoes in the water, you don't pop it even then, because flooding is vastly more dangerous than fires, especially as the torps are likely to crit guns and your engines.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm debating between the repair cooldown and torpedo awareness now. Any preferences?

Superintendent, that extra repair is a big deal. Also use the premium repair because you're going to find yourself using them on cooldown frequently, especially if you come up against a cruiser.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So Flamu posted up a new video last night. This time, a commentary review of the midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rzDpW77lU

He does bring up some valid points that also come up in any carrier play. For example, he shows having done 244k damage in the game, but is only 5th in xp. I get the impression the game is running a similar xp penalty that WoT had for artillery. He also talks about what has already been mentioned here. That is to say, buggy ui and such.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Doesn't look like USS Arizona offers anything better than New Mexico apart from slightly longer gun range and HP.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Doesn't look like USS Arizona offers anything better than New Mexico apart from slightly longer gun range and HP.

It has an extra 3% fire chance, for those pro BB players that sling HE all the time. :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Is there anything going on with the warships.today website?
I started playing again recently and it doesn't seem to be recording stats at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Everyone has figured out that capping destroyers are more likely to not lose a star in a lost battle, so now ranked battles are 4 DDs a side all trying to beat each other to top of the team.

Which I did, sinking a Mutsuki, Mahan and Atlanta with my Hatsuharu and no cap points.

Top tier ships for this series of ranked are Colorado, Myoko, Hiryu, and Sims, driving anything else is really pushing uphill to varying degrees.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 4, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Everyone has figured out that capping destroyers are more likely to not lose a star in a lost battle, so now ranked battles are 4 DDs a side all trying to beat each other to top of the team.

Which I did, sinking a Mutsuki, Mahan and Atlanta with my Hatsuharu and no cap points.

Top tier ships for this series of ranked are Colorado, Myoko, Hiryu, and Sims, driving anything else is really pushing uphill to varying degrees.

Blys should be solid as well

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I'd say playing a CA of any kind is pushing uphill. You're going to have an easier time with a BB or DD.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Disco posted:

I'd say playing a CA of any kind is pushing uphill. You're going to have an easier time with a BB or DD.

Myoko takes a lot of killing, and dishes out a lot of versatile damage to all classes, it's a really good choice for ranked.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
atsf has a new video. Now on everyone's favorite ship, the warsprite. It even includes some brexit jokes. I also shows a clip of him getting a double strike in one volley. That is right, two battleships hanging next to each other enough that dispersion got them both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5uioIWjFxI

After laughing at that, we move to flamu having a grand old tirpitz game. He actually gets a bit miffed at the start because the rng would just dispersion the hell out of him. Then later, he one volley deletes a myoko thanks to a triple citadel on it's bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxysuq22Zw

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What a great start to playing through the Kagero. 4 poo poo teams in a row, followed by a decent team (and/or a poo poo enemy team), but I ended up followed around by 2 BBs that stole every single kill I tried to get - one of them even shared the single cap I got. Fun. Yeah, It's a win, but I got jack poo poo out of it.

edit: Okay, first game in the Yamato somewhat made up for it. 115k damage, and I didn't even feel like I was performing particularly well - only 2 citadels.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Speaking of the Warspite does the +turret traverse mod have a decent impact on it? Because I can deal with a 31.5s reload if my turrets don't take about a year to realign.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lord Koth posted:

I ended up followed around by 2 BBs that stole every single kill I tried to get - one of them even shared the single cap I got.

Today I had a chickenshit Myouko follow my Nagato around for an entire match, stealing my kills and running away from any opposition. We won after I capped two points.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

NTRabbit posted:

God I hope this is how it is now. The farming is going to be easy.

Bring a cruiser and die.

Nagato or Blys or bust.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Speaking of the Warspite does the +turret traverse mod have a decent impact on it? Because I can deal with a 31.5s reload if my turrets don't take about a year to realign.

I don't bother with it. Once you get used to the Warspite, you learn to plan your movements better and you won't find the turrets to be so obnoxious.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Today I had a chickenshit Myouko follow my Nagato around for an entire match, stealing my kills and running away from any opposition. We won after I capped two points.

Oh, the battleships were playing perfectly fine, I didn't mean to imply they were jerk players or anything. Them letting me screen them and in turn providing support against threats was rather good team play. It was just a matter of the enemy team was complete poo poo, and since were were on a far side they kept coming in drips and drabs. So multiple times I had a volley of torpedoes close to impacting a ship, when said ship proceeded to get erased by them, since they themselves only had one or two targets as well.

So on the one hand I was glad to finally get a decent team and win after a string of utter poo poo, but on the other hand I really did not get much for said win.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jownzy posted:

God I hope this is how it is now. The farming is going to be easy.

Bring a cruiser and die.

Nagato or Blys or bust.

Nagato is no good at ranked, it can't remotely take a hit like the Colorado can, and in the format you really don't have the option of breaking off for a bit to shift enemy fire elsewhere.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Second battle for the night, following a miserable loss on the same map where the team all puffed towards c and proceeded to get taken out one by one, yeah I think I'm done for today.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The Impaler posted:

Second battle for the night, following a miserable loss on the same map where the team all puffed towards c and proceeded to get taken out one by one, yeah I think I'm done for today.

It would have helped if that Kongo player had decided to play the game instead of jerking off into a sock.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

atsf has a new video. Now on everyone's favorite ship, the warsprite. It even includes some brexit jokes. I also shows a clip of him getting a double strike in one volley. That is right, two battleships hanging next to each other enough that dispersion got them both.

These are the best botes videos on youtube

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Trip report on the Hipper

First Impressions

...I don't like it. Much preferred the Yorck.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

I really want a Warspite now. The idea of a battleship that can hit things sounds neat.

BBs have some of the largest hot/cold swings for me, either I do really well or its a shitshow. I really like the Kongo over the New York so far, that extra range and speed is well worth the loss of 2 guns and some armor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CitizenKain posted:

I really want a Warspite now. The idea of a battleship that can hit things sounds neat.

BBs have some of the largest hot/cold swings for me, either I do really well or its a shitshow. I really like the Kongo over the New York so far, that extra range and speed is well worth the loss of 2 guns and some armor.

I like the battles where I think it's going to be great, because I citadel someone at 20km for 30k damage just after the game starts, and then finish the game 12 minutes later with 35k damage because all of the accuracy spent itself on that first hit.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLY3di0vaXQ 0.5.8 notes video was just uploaded, and boy is that MM change going to kill the NA queue, patch is happening tomorrow

New premiums in the client: Cruiser Krasny Krym (Svetlana), Battleship Scharnhorst, Battleship Kaiser, Battleship Koenig Albert (Kaiser class :crossarms:), and Destroyer Black (Fletcher?), plus the ranked reward cruiser Flint

20 ships now have turrets that can spin 360 degrees, though this isn't mentioned at all in the text copy of the notes on NA... but thankyou Wargaming Asia, saving the day again

The full list of ships and the number of turrets affected by this change can be found below:

Königsberg* (2,3), Hashidate (1), Tachibana (1,4,5), Umikaze (3), Minekaze (1,2,3), Mutsuki A (1,2), Mutsuki B (1,2), Mutsuki C (1), Kamikaze (1,2), Wakatake (1), Aurora (1), Diana (1), Novik A (6), Novik B (8), Storozhevoi (1), Derzki (3), Chester (1), Sampson (1), Clemson (1), Wickes (1), Campbeltown (1)
* horizontal aiming angles have also been extended

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 5, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

I like the battles where I think it's going to be great, because I citadel someone at 20km for 30k damage just after the game starts, and then finish the game 12 minutes later with 35k damage because all of the accuracy spent itself on that first hit.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLY3di0vaXQ 0.5.8 notes video was just uploaded, and boy is that MM change going to kill the NA queue, patch is happening tomorrow

20 ships now have turrets that can spin 360 degrees, including Konigsberg, though this isn't mentioned at all in the text copy of the notes on NA

New premiums in the client: Cruiser Krasny Krym (Svetlana), Battleship Scharnhorst, Battleship Kaiser, Battleship Koenig Albert (Kaiser class :crossarms:), and Destroyer Black (Fletcher?), plus the ranked reward cruiser Flint

The turret rotation sounds great, it will really help.

The matchmaker needs the help, even if the queue gets a bit longer. Considering how long games go in this, taking a little extra time to ensure a team isn't going to be dunked on by the matchmaker seems worth it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm interested in seeing what tier Kaiser and Scharnhorst are, because it'll be a decent indicator of what the impending tree will look like, strongly suspect Scharnhorst is being added early, with no plans to be a premium, so that they can see how well the concept functions.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

I'm interested in seeing what tier Kaiser and Scharnhorst are, because it'll be a decent indicator of what the impending tree will look like, strongly suspect Scharnhorst is being added early, with no plans to be a premium, so that they can see how well the concept functions.

You can bet that the Scharnhorst is going to be a borderline OP T7 premium.
Of course, nothing to do with ranked battles being lowered to T7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I think the Warspite is a good ship in general that gets poo poo on if it's facing mostly tier VIII BBs. You don't have the range, armor, or speed to deal with Amagis and NCs unless the map lets you hide behind islands.

Bottom tier on Ocean? gg, wp.