Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if its an automatic the force is being buffered through a torque converter and I seriously doubt its enough to do anything bad unless you're going 10+mph in reverse. hard acceleration and engine braking exerts the same kind of forces on the powertrain and nobody seems terribly concerned about that. wouldn't do it on a manual or dct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if its an automatic the force is being buffered through a torque converter and I seriously doubt its enough to do anything bad unless you're going 10+mph in reverse. hard acceleration and engine braking exerts the same kind of forces on the powertrain and nobody seems terribly concerned about that. wouldn't do it on a manual or dct

Hard acceleration doesn't invoke a sudden impact against a gear the way that trying to go from -5 MPH to 0 instantaneously does, particularly in a modern automatic transmission.

Engine braking doesn't do anything of the kind and I'm not sure where you got that idea. Even downshifting to brake only affects the reverse sides of the gear teeth, which normally see no wear at all, so the effect is negligible.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

no he's cool, the thing being discussed is the literal definition of boondoggle

Yeah it's this

Tory is a bad man

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
yeah do not put the vehicle into drive until you're stopped. even if you don't gently caress the transmission, it's a good way to destroy other parts of your drive train.

as far as sitting at a stop, if you need to idle higher to keep the engine going and must put your foot on the gas a little, put the car in neutral first.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah do not put the vehicle into drive until you're stopped. even if you don't gently caress the transmission, it's a good way to destroy other parts of your drive train.

as far as sitting at a stop, if you need to idle higher to keep the engine going and must put your foot on the gas a little, put the car in neutral first.

what is the fastest way to launch your automatic car at a greenlight without destroying it?

also why are there so many elantras and chevy blazer with no reverse but otherwise working transmission? how can you break reverse if you hardly ever use it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

at the date posted:

Hard acceleration doesn't invoke a sudden impact against a gear the way that trying to go from -5 MPH to 0 instantaneously does, particularly in a modern automatic transmission.

Engine braking doesn't do anything of the kind and I'm not sure where you got that idea. Even downshifting to brake only affects the reverse sides of the gear teeth, which normally see no wear at all, so the effect is negligible.

how is that much impact going to be conveyed through a fluid coupling?

e: nevermind, I'm dumb. torque converter is on the input side not the output

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 27, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

someone here doesn't know what they're talking about, so I'm guessing it's ice rear end

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Cygni posted:

if you read the words 'boondoggle' or 'millennial', you legally have to stop reading the post or article

quoting this post because i'm down

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there is a project here to expand one of our 2 light rail lines. it's pretty far along in the planning and is at one of those points where they can get a big chunk of federal transit money if they raise some of it locally

but...nope lol. the bill to make this happen didn't actually raise any money at the state level, it just gave some kind of exemption to the area where the line is being built so the local government could raise the funds. and this wasn't passed because the House is being run by a Republican who doesn't seem particularly imaginative, and who has come up in politics during an era in which the legislature pretty much never finishes their drat work before adjournment. so he's refusing to even talk about it because he's butthurt that not all of his tax cuts got passed. also he's dog-whistling about a transit project he lives nowhere near, probably because he wants to run for governor :allears:

the line itself isn't the best, but lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lampey posted:

also why are there so many elantras and chevy blazer with no reverse but otherwise working transmission? how can you break reverse if you hardly ever use it

if your torque converter goes to poo poo, the low gears (1st and reverse) will be the first affected

you just didn't notice the missing 1st, because 2nd gear can still get the car moving off a stoplight.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there is a project here to expand one of our 2 light rail lines. it's pretty far along in the planning and is at one of those points where they can get a big chunk of federal transit money if they raise some of it locally

but...nope lol. the bill to make this happen didn't actually raise any money at the state level, it just gave some kind of exemption to the area where the line is being built so the local government could raise the funds. and this wasn't passed because the House is being run by a Republican who doesn't seem particularly imaginative, and who has come up in politics during an era in which the legislature pretty much never finishes their drat work before adjournment. so he's refusing to even talk about it because he's butthurt that not all of his tax cuts got passed. also he's dog-whistling about a transit project he lives nowhere near, probably because he wants to run for governor :allears:

the line itself isn't the best, but lol

it's to extend into the western suburbs, right? if not it's to go further south than MoA which is fine but having a giant parking lot on one route terminus isn't a bad thing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

it's to extend into the western suburbs, right? if not it's to go further south than MoA which is fine but having a giant parking lot on one route terminus isn't a bad thing

http://www.swlrtcommunityworks.org/explore-corridor/map/map

it extends the green line from target field station out to eden prairie. also there is already some kind of BRT service that extends south from MoA, i'm not really familiar with that though

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

http://www.swlrtcommunityworks.org/explore-corridor/map/map

it extends the green line from target field station out to eden prairie. also there is already some kind of BRT service that extends south from MoA, i'm not really familiar with that though

that would own so of course it won't happen

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

motherfucking trolleytrucks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

that would own so of course it won't happen

i feel like the route they decided on wasn't very ambitious; one of the options involved tunneling under part of nicollet and having an underground stop in eat street, which i feel like would have been good because it would reach more people within dense areas of minneapolis. but i'm not any kind of transportation engineer and the route the chose isn't too bad really. linking up downtown with Bryn Mawr, Kenwood, SLP, Hopkins, all the way out in to EP isn't such a bad deal. Who knows, it might even reduce the bumper-to-bumper nonsense that is the ramp from 394 east going into the 94 east tunnel :allears:

the problem is that the legislature is in shambles. kurt daudt is probably playing the tough big man (at least partially) because he wants to raise his profile or run for a higher office, so he's been dog-whistling and grandstanding about the LRT project, even going so far to pretend he had never heard of the last-ditch senate DFL plan to just let hennepin county raise the money themselves for the federal matching funds. this despite the house minority leader saying he personally witnessed the conversation between daudt and tom bakk about it

finally, and this might be of interest to people outside the twin cities area, but there's a really cool blog called Streets.mn. It is weighted toward this region, of course, but there are also a lot of articles about transportation research, planning and theory in general

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I like reading posts about Minneapolis and recognizing places from hold steady songs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you could probably drink your through most neighborhoods of the city based on bars that have had songs written about them, haha. even "closing time" by semisonic is based on a bartender yelling at the drunks in the 400 Bar one night

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'd say you'd be trashed by the middle of separation Sunday, but most of those songs are about drinking in parks and under bridges

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i feel like the route they decided on wasn't very ambitious; one of the options involved tunneling under part of nicollet and having an underground stop in eat street, which i feel like would have been good because it would reach more people within dense areas of minneapolis. but i'm not any kind of transportation engineer and the route the chose isn't too bad really. linking up downtown with Bryn Mawr, Kenwood, SLP, Hopkins, all the way out in to EP isn't such a bad deal. Who knows, it might even reduce the bumper-to-bumper nonsense that is the ramp from 394 east going into the 94 east tunnel :allears:

the problem is that the legislature is in shambles. kurt daudt is probably playing the tough big man (at least partially) because he wants to raise his profile or run for a higher office, so he's been dog-whistling and grandstanding about the LRT project, even going so far to pretend he had never heard of the last-ditch senate DFL plan to just let hennepin county raise the money themselves for the federal matching funds. this despite the house minority leader saying he personally witnessed the conversation between daudt and tom bakk about it

finally, and this might be of interest to people outside the twin cities area, but there's a really cool blog called Streets.mn. It is weighted toward this region, of course, but there are also a lot of articles about transportation research, planning and theory in general

the whole system should have been subway in the the city grid just because it'd make waiting for the train in the winter much more bearable nevermind the huge service speed improvement between the downtown cores. oh well. running a line down through Uptown into the western side of Bloomington would be great, too, because there are some decent places to live down there

thanks for the link to that blog btw

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Caltrain gonna electrify by 2020 and got an exemption to the terrible US railroad rules so they can use cool off the shelf euro trains yay

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
more like 2080 and they will buy special trains from their friends

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as long as they're siemens and not bomabardier

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
[ask] me about how much bombardier loving sucks

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

[ask] me about how much bombardier loving sucks

ok

compared to kawasaki, the other subway car manufacturer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

compared to say siemens, the other lrt manufacturer that was ignored for our LRV bid because bombardier means made in canada*

*note: actually made in mexico, to no particular standard, without any QC**

which is why instead of having 60 new low floor LRVs we have, like 12, and we have to somehow keep our 30+ year old ALRV and CLRV fleet running for the indeterminate future because bombardier couldn't manufacture its way out of a wet paper bag

**seriously, they were shipping parts to the sudbury assembly plant that were so far out of spec they wouldn't physically fit together. even some of the ones they did manage to assemble have been rejected by the ttc on delivery because they're so loving broken when they arrive

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 8, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

as long as they're siemens and not bomabardier

could be worse, could be anselado breda

they are actually buying em from Stadler and are supposed to be an off the shelf variant of the KISS (REAL NAME). dunno how they are getting around buy america.

Shaggar posted:

more like 2080 and they will buy special trains from their friends

yeah probably

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 8, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's amazing that after however many decades of buy America it still hasn't worked and is all foreign firms building new plants with huge qa problems. I'd have guessed that you would have ended up with some decent producersz, just massively overpriced!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
NAFTA!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

Caltrain gonna electrify by 2020 and got an exemption to the terrible US railroad rules so they can use cool off the shelf euro trains yay

this is cool & good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

It's amazing that after however many decades of buy America it still hasn't worked and is all foreign firms building new plants with huge qa problems. I'd have guessed that you would have ended up with some decent producersz, just massively overpriced!

it turns out you can charge just as much and make complete poo poo

who knew?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cygni posted:

Stopping a speeding electric train: Atherton mulls move to halt Caltrain contracts

ATHERTON -- Officials in this wealthy Bay Area enclave will decide by early next week if they'll seek a restraining order to stop Caltrain from going ahead with $1.25 billion in contracts for bringing electric train service to the Peninsula.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
why didn't BART go with standard cars and standard gauge so our poo poo could be cheaper, gently caress.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its indian standard

turns out wikipedia has a good diagram on train gauge usage who knew:

(bart uses 5'6"/light green)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i could understand if a different gauge was grandfathered in as is the case in iberia but why would you build a new system that is not 1435mm ??

in spain and japan the main railways are all their historic gauge but the high speed lines are all built in standard gauge because they date back only as far as the 60s

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

i could understand if a different gauge was grandfathered in as is the case in iberia but why would you build a new system that is not 1435mm ??

in spain and japan the main railways are all their historic gauge but the high speed lines are all built in standard gauge because they date back only as far as the 60s

They also have super cool gauge changing trains in Spain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

compared to say siemens, the other lrt manufacturer that was ignored for our LRV bid because bombardier means made in canada*

*note: actually made in mexico, to no particular standard, without any QC**

which is why instead of having 60 new low floor LRVs we have, like 12, and we have to somehow keep our 30+ year old ALRV and CLRV fleet running for the indeterminate future because bombardier couldn't manufacture its way out of a wet paper bag

**seriously, they were shipping parts to the sudbury assembly plant that were so far out of spec they wouldn't physically fit together. even some of the ones they did manage to assemble have been rejected by the ttc on delivery because they're so loving broken when they arrive

this is on you

bombardier has plants in the u.s. and canada and real qc departments, but you have to, you know, pay for them.

if your spec doesn't mandate testing or prototype vehicles or specific supply chains, and you just take the lowest bidder, whose fault is that ?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is on you

bombardier has plants in the u.s. and canada and real qc departments, but you have to, you know, pay for them.

if your spec doesn't mandate testing or prototype vehicles or specific supply chains, and you just take the lowest bidder, whose fault is that ?

I think you mean lowest bidder whos willing to fulfill all the unique regulatory requirements to sell trains in the USA. Bombardier are able to make decent trains for other countries.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i've yet to catch a new car on the 514 route, but by itself it's made getting around the college st construction good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is on you

so... our spec doesn't mandate competent manufacturing, and so somehow it's cheaper for them to pay the tens of millions in penalties for the delayed delivery than to assemble and deliver the units on the schedule they agreed to?

yes this is a thing that makes sense and totally isn't bombardier's fault

i'm sure london's bombardier issues are also because they were too cheap to specify that their signaling system must actually work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i'm sure london's bombardier issues are also because they were too cheap to specify that their signaling system must actually work

yep, exactly this.

bombardier makes shitloads of gear for nyc and boston and it works Just Fine

• Locked thread