Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
He intentionally sped up to create the dangerous situation. If he had maintained his speed it would have been a non-issue. He did it for YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Legdiian posted:

He did it for YouTube.

Prime headstone material here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

failure to yieled to someone within their own legal lane with the legal right is not the fault of the person following the traffic law.

To sit there and lay blame on the biker because "Well he could have just done...." is loving stupid because he had the legal right of way and the woman should have yielded, period.

You need to get something through your head if you're planning on having a long, enjoyable future as a motorcyclist, free from grievous injury and death. It doesn't loving matter how in the right you are if you're mangled in the wheel well of a semi or in the hospital on life support. Stop crying foul victim blaming and start asking yourself what could be done in that situation to avoid, mitigate risk, etc. There's no moral high ground in the back of an ambulance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Linedance posted:

You need to get something through your head if you're planning on having a long, enjoyable future as a motorcyclist, free from grievous injury and death. It doesn't loving matter how in the right you are if you're mangled in the wheel well of a semi or in the hospital on life support. Stop crying foul victim blaming and start asking yourself what could be done in that situation to avoid, mitigate risk, etc. There's no moral high ground in the back of an ambulance.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with "getting hit by cars is bad, and trying to not get hit is good".

And I don't think that point does anything to change our opinion that the woman's driving was lovely and it is funny and good that she was ticketed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I don't think anyone here disagrees with "getting hit by cars is bad, and trying to not get hit is good".

And I don't think that point does anything to change our opinion that the woman's driving was lovely and it is funny and good that she was ticketed.

You're right about that. I just get sick of every time there's a video of some vlogger raging about bad drivers posted, and people suggest that maybe he might not need to rage so hard if he took a few preventative measures, people jump in and cry victim blaming for even suggesting such heresy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

You're right about that. I just get sick of every time there's a video of some vlogger raging about bad drivers posted, and people suggest that maybe he might not need to rage so hard if he took a few preventative measures, people jump in and cry victim blaming for even suggesting such heresy.

:agreed:

Bikes are one of those wonderful things that make it possible to be a victim and an idiot at the same time. Like zoo enclosures and electricity.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Even not being directly behind a truck is no guarantee:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hope he was as lucky as this bicyclist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

JB50 posted:

Even not being directly behind a truck is no guarantee:

Acts of God, man.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Linedance posted:

If we all know that motorcycles will lose to cars 100% of the time then why even allow them to have the legal right of way? Why not obligate motorcycles to yield to cars 100% of the time so every time an inattentive driver hits someone you can just blame the motorcyclist for not doing things differently instead of the car driver for ya know not following the law.

I was hit by an inattentive driver. I saw the car long in advance. Should I have just stopped in the middle of the road and yielded my right of way to let the car pull out of the driveway?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

If we all know that motorcycles will lose to cars 100% of the time then why even allow them to have the legal right of way? Why not obligate motorcycles to yield to cars 100% of the time so every time an inattentive driver hits someone you can just blame the motorcyclist for not doing things differently instead of the car driver for ya know not following the law.

I was hit by an inattentive driver. I saw the car long in advance. Should I have just stopped in the middle of the road and yielded my right of way to let the car pull out of the driveway?

This might not make sense to you, but you've got to treat that poo poo like an air crash investigation. It's not Monday morning quarterbacking. Someone actually pulled out from a driveway and hit you. So you (and if you posted footage of it on YouTube, everyone else as well) should look at controllable variables like your speed, lane position, awareness of escape routes, etc., add your new knowledge of what an idiot pulling out without looking actually looks like, so that when the exact same thing happens six months from now, you don't just let it happen and say "gosh there's literally nothing I could have done to prevent, avoid, or mitigate that. Again".
Stopping in the road and yielding your right of way is certainly one of your options and needs to be considered. There may be better ones. Or was getting hit the highlight of your day and you got a huge court settlement and live in a mansion now with hundreds of motorcycles, and the lesson you learned was poo poo that was a lot of long term gain for a bit of short term pain, imma just let this fucker back into me again?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Linedance posted:

This might not make sense to you, but you've got to treat that poo poo like an air crash investigation. It's not Monday morning quarterbacking. Someone actually pulled out from a driveway and hit you. So you (and if you posted footage of it on YouTube, everyone else as well) should look at controllable variables like your speed, lane position, awareness of escape routes, etc., add your new knowledge of what an idiot pulling out without looking actually looks like, so that when the exact same thing happens six months from now, you don't just let it happen and say "gosh there's literally nothing I could have done to prevent, avoid, or mitigate that. Again".
Stopping in the road and yielding your right of way is certainly one of your options and needs to be considered. There may be better ones. Or was getting hit the highlight of your day and you got a huge court settlement and live in a mansion now with hundreds of motorcycles, and the lesson you learned was poo poo that was a lot of long term gain for a bit of short term pain, imma just let this fucker back into me again?

Quite the opposite, the driver was delivering news papers on normal car insurance so his (our) insurance company denied his policy coverage and I did not have uninsured motorist PD so they told me to piss up a rope as well.

I was on a straight road, there was an on coming car he was waiting for that was roughly equal distance from him as I was on the opposite side. I saw the situation, I slowed down and watched, but short of stopping in the middle of the road and yielding my right of way, there was nothing else to do. It was my lane, I owned it, I had the right of way and he had no business entering it. I explained that to him in no uncertain terms and I think he will be forever cognizant of motorcycles because of our conversation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

EX250 Type R posted:

Come on man it's not that difficult. Let's get hyperbolic for a sec: say you're coming up to a crossroads, and your light is green.

Speeding through the intersection on the crossing road are what looks like the county's entire population of ricers doing their best to re-enact every fast/furious movie at once. You have right of way. What are going to do? If you sail out across the intersection because it's your right to be there and as a result get spread across the bonnet of some idiot's subaru, whose fault is that?

The other guy is legally liable, sure, but it's still your idiot fault if you get hit because you saw the fucker coming.

I mean it's also your right to not get murdered in a bank heist, but surprise, that's not going to do you any favours if you see a bank getting robbed and decide now would be a good time to go in and attempt to discuss your finances.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

EX250 Type R posted:

I was on a straight road, there was an on coming car he was waiting for that was roughly equal distance from him as I was on the opposite side. I saw the situation, I slowed down and watched, but short of stopping in the middle of the road and yielding my right of way, there was nothing else to do. It was my lane, I owned it, I had the right of way and he had no business entering it. I explained that to him in no uncertain terms and I think he will be forever cognizant of motorcycles because of our conversation.

FYI: you can do that. That's a thing you can do. What's more important to you, protecting your pride by demanding people honour the sovereign space around your vehicle, or not getting hit?

e/ if I'd heard this story in a neutral context I wouldn't have made this post, you're just coming across as kind of a bitch right now and it's making me want to argue.

Like, you get that "it wasn't your fault" and "you could have avoided it" aren't mutually exclusive statements, yeah?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 3, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

FYI: you can do that. That's a thing you can do. What's more important to you, protecting your pride by demanding people honour the sovereign space around your vehicle, or not getting hit?

so it goes right back to why allow motorcycles to even have the right of way in the first place if cars arent going to be held responsible for violating the law

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

so it goes right back to why allow motorcycles to even have the right of way in the first place if cars arent going to be held responsible for violating the law

Violating the law or not is a bit moot if you're splattered over 50m of concrete in pieces.

Ride to live, not to follow road rules.

Having motorcycles not have right of way would cause more trouble than it would solve, imagine how many rear-enders there would be if bikes were always braking to let cars in. gently caress that poo poo.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

holy poo poo the cognitive dissonance

a motorcycle can either have the right of way or yield, it cannot do both at once. You dont see the contradiction in demanding that motorcycles yield their legal right of way because cars are bigger in one sentence and then saying motorcycles yielding the right of way would cause accidents right after?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

If those are my choices, I'd rather yield & live.

edit
There's two sets of laws out there, the one on the books and the law of the lug nuts, whoever has the most wins the right of weight.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 3, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So one time this guy calls a chinese take-out place and puts in an order. Then he puts them on hold and calls up a 2nd chinese place and puts them on confernce. He then gets chinese place no. 1 to repeat the order and the two chinese places go back and forth thinking one is ordering from the other. One day I wanna figure out how to do that, but between CA and some sjw's about personal responsibility and victim blaming and watch the train wreck. Especially if I can implement a word filter that removes references to helmets, gear, "scantily", etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITgkQIp6ABM

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 3, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Retarded Pimp posted:

If those are my choices, I'd rather yield & live.

edit
There's two sets of laws out there, the one on the books and the law of the lug nuts, whoever has the most wins the right of weight.

yes what we need is drive like we're on a South American mountain road....

orrrrr people could follow the laws and when they are caught not following them they get reported, just like in the video! the system CAN work, you just need to lose the attitudes

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Really this whole line of arguing of "yield to live" while is good advice doesn't really apply to the merge guy video. He wasn't going to get splattered, they were doing like 10 mph.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

So one time this guy calls a chinese take-out place and puts in an order. Then he puts them on hold and calls up a 2nd chinese place and puts them on confernce. He then gets chinese place no. 1 to repeat the order and the two chinese places go back and forth thinking one is ordering from the other. One day I wanna figure out how to do that, but between CA and some sjw's about personal responsibility and victim blaming and watch the train wreck. Especially if I can implement a word filter that removes references to helmets, gear, "scantily", etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITgkQIp6ABM

you're watching it.

Coredump posted:

Really this whole line of arguing of "yield to live" while is good advice doesn't really apply to the merge guy video. He wasn't going to get splattered, they were doing like 10 mph.

WE'RE WAY PAST THAT NOW, CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?! THERE IS NO VIDEO, THERE IS ONLY ARGUMENT!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

EX250 Type R posted:

holy poo poo the cognitive dissonance

a motorcycle can either have the right of way or yield, it cannot do both at once. You dont see the contradiction in demanding that motorcycles yield their legal right of way because cars are bigger in one sentence and then saying motorcycles yielding the right of way would cause accidents right after?

That's not the point. The point is sometimes it's better to be smart than right.

Apparently you don't even get the point of right of way so the former might be a stretch.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

That's not the point. The point is sometimes it's better to be smart than right.

Apparently you don't even get the point of right of way so the former might be a stretch.

The point is that making GBS threads on motorcyclists that have to legal right to occupy their space for not yielding to cars defeats the purpose of allowing motorcyclists to own the space they occupy. If you want to play by the rules of third world countries where the biggest vehicle gets the road then codify it into law, otherwise, inattentive drivers can get hosed and so can the people that defend them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
so did somebody irl tell you that crash you had was entirely your fault or what

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Jesus christ guys...

In more entertaining and positive vibes, beer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxX1XVEMZg

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

The point is that making GBS threads on motorcyclists that have to legal right to occupy their space for not yielding to cars defeats the purpose of allowing motorcyclists to own the space they occupy. If you want to play by the rules of third world countries where the biggest vehicle gets the road then codify it into law, otherwise, inattentive drivers can get hosed and so can the people that defend them.

If that's what you think this whole argument has been about, I don't know what to say. Nobody is defending inattentive drivers. All inattentive road users, regardless of the number of wheels, need to be more attentive, and causing aggro for internet points is stupid(ly entertaining!).
If you're going out driving at 2am on a Saturday morning in a party town, and someone says "be careful, there's a lot of drunks on the roads", do you scoff and say "I don't need to be careful, they need to be careful! Drinking and driving is illegal!"? No, you drive carefully because there's loving drunks on the roads, you idiot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Legal right of way helps you in court, taking what seems to be strange and unreasonable methods to prevent a car from hitting you is what helps you get home to your fam so you can get on the Internet and argue with idiots about legal right of way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

We all agree that drivers who don't follow the rules are dangerous.

We all acknowledge that legal right of way is not a shield that protects us from larger vehicles.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Chichevache posted:

[video type="youtu"]Y7QZgH1eP2o[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 3, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

:laffo:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

erm, hosed up a thing, fixed it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

MetaJew posted:

It seems like all of these moto-vlogging SJWs have a tremendous amount of time on their hands.

A few of the more popular ones do it as their main 'job' now don't they? Sigh must be nice.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

advion posted:

A few of the more popular ones do it as their main 'job' now don't they? Sigh must be nice.

I'm the millennial that doesn't understand people "streaming" as a job.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I don't either but if I could make a living playing games and streaming it for six hours a day or motovlogging and spewing bullshit I would. I mean I suppose I can I just don't want to try.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sets you up for a great career in the future!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

EX250 Type R posted:

We allow people to own all sorts of things (including lane space), but having the law on your side is a moot point when a methhead with a Glock (inattentive driver) gets in your grill and demands you hand over your gold watch and wallet (violates your right of way).
:iiaca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

advion posted:

I don't either but if I could make a living playing games and streaming it for six hours a day or motovlogging and spewing bullshit I would. I mean I suppose I can I just don't want to try.

Also, the streaming thing is gonna blow up eventually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fU2QG-lV0