Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Playing on Xbone. So I definitely had like 40,000 total left before my hiatus awhile ago after buying Horizons. Suddenly I have 36 million credits and I don't know why.

Is this a glitch or some kind of reinbursement for the glitches with the new DLC or what because :stare:.

Or alternatively :smugdon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Your rear end will get kicked equally well everywhere now.

Horizons isn't really the cause of any of the major complaints about the game; it just doesn't resolve them. However, if you're going to keep playing, you might as well get Horizons, since you're locking yourself out of planetary landings and now the crafting system, which means you're at a disadvantage against NPCs if you can stomach any sort of grinding at all.

I'm okay with grinding, less so with sudden/uncalled for difficulty spikes, I guess you can say?

What I'm asking is: have they fixed enough things that it's worth throwing another :20bux: at?

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Dishwasher posted:

Playing on Xbone. So I definitely had like 40,000 total left before my hiatus awhile ago after buying Horizons. Suddenly I have 36 million credits and I don't know why.

Is this a glitch or some kind of reinbursement for the glitches with the new DLC or what because :stare:.

It could be community goal payouts.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

..which means you're at a disadvantage against NPCs if you can stomach any sort of grinding at all.

In my so far very limited engineers experience it means that you are locking yourself out of some possibly easy upgrades on the first level engineers at least (if you use the straightforward but but quite trivial resources available so far), as well some nice screenshots from on planets of you like that sort of thing :)

Whether those upgrades are any use against PCs or NPCs remains to be seen.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Dishwasher posted:

noticed a few people saying this happened

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

SquirrelGrip posted:

noticed a few people saying this happened

Sounds like I should spend all this poo poo immediately if it's a mistake.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

legooolas posted:

In my so far very limited engineers experience it means that you are locking yourself out of some possibly easy upgrades on the first level engineers at least (if you use the straightforward but but quite trivial resources available so far), as well some nice screenshots from on planets of you like that sort of thing :)

Whether those upgrades are any use against PCs or NPCs remains to be seen.

True, but the RNG hates you sometimes: For example, I've been trying to get a single unit of Selenium since forever, but neither missions, mining and rolling around on the surface gave me enough for the two level 3 FSD-upgrades I wanted. It's kind of annoying to have everything for two upgrades except this one thing.

Oh, wait: One mission did gave up a unit of Selenium as reward, but I didn't have enough reputation to run the mission. Just one mission later I had the rep I needed, but the mission with the Selenium-reward was forever gone and even multiple re-logs never brought this particular mission back. :suicide:

At least this wild hunt for Selenium gave me ample time to run missions for Diamond Frogs.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Had some fun firsts so far, this weekend. I managed to get my iCourier, A-spec my Vulture, and get out to Sothis. It was really cool seeing the stations there under construction. Even the front of the station has "under construction."

Now to figure out how engineers work.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ended up getting Horizons like a chump, and made my first mission a non-hostile salvage mission. It was a fun experience until I realized there were NO bound controls for the SRV :(

Made it a confusing and annoying 10 minutes. Is there a way to make the SRV drive like cars in other games with the MK+B, where it's an acceleration for as long as you hold (and not a continual raising of intended speed like a ship)?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Morter posted:

Is there a way to make the SRV drive like cars in other games with the MK+B, where it's an acceleration for as long as you hold (and not a continual raising of intended speed like a ship)?

Yeah, turn drive assist off.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Baby's first clipper :buddy:

I will miss landing at outposts, and I'll need to get used to the wings and not constantly snag things with them. But it's hard to argue with being fast enough to run from everything, and still tough enough to survive some fire while I run like a coward.

I'm still a mediocre pilot, but at least an FAS or Clipper is usually more than enough to deal with lighter ships and the more poorly equipped "deadly" pythons.

Though I've yet to manage to 100% solo an NPC python because the cops are pretty loving jumped up these days even in "high risk" zones. Most sudden damage I've taken tonight trying to readjust has been from a 4 cop conda and change gang bang swooping in and opening fire with all guns to finish a Diamondback I was taking potshots at :v:

"Pro pilot" Dangerous and up Eagles / I Eagles remain sad sack boring as ever to watch though. Flying straight backwards in order to shoot me as long as possible with no regard for their lives :sigh: I'm the most middle of the road barely competent pilot, but you'd figure they would last longer against even me if they at least TRIED to dodge instead of pretending they are disposable combat drones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
iClipper wings are good because when something is slipping past your hull you can just rotate your whole ship and collect them with your corvette-mass hull reinforced ramming machine.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some nice shots from reddit/elitegalaxy

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 3, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Whoa. That planet is that close to a belt?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Speaking of exploration: I haven't any interesting screenshots but I just got horizons and I'm maybe about 3~4K LY out from the bubble and I'm starting to worry about NPCs. Someone with a similar issue asked about 20 pages ago and I can't find them. But the advice was, "beeline for engineer X in Y system for mcguffins and then sell the rest at the diamond frogs base in Z please and thank you."

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 3, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does this look like a sensible clipper setup for mostly pve (but hopefully i can switch the weapons around for pve)?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/4pktkFilkdpslf47l7l0s0s0404020np05p2b2b292900v6.Iw18aQ==.IwBh1MumuI==

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Does this look like a sensible clipper setup for mostly pve (but hopefully i can switch the weapons around for pve)?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/4pktkFilkdpslf47l7l0s0s0404020np05p2b2b292900v6.Iw18aQ==.IwBh1MumuI==

Drops sensors & life support to "D" to save power but otherwise it'll work.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Only like 90 jumps until I'm back in the bubble.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm planning for a 5000ly voyage because I will have those level 5 dirty drives no matter what it takes. :shepicide:

The most exploring I've done before is honking at systems in the bubble for spare change while going point A to point B. First, my build. There's a lot of extra poo poo on there because it only costs me a couple of ly in jump range compared to a lean D-fit, and my upgraded FSD courtesy of Ms. Martuuk is still pushing ~38ly with the extra fat. Anything obviously stupid or missing in there?

Second, is there a known good destination within 5000ly or so for getting a lot of high value stars, black holes, etc.? Figure I may as well boost my exploration rank way up while I'm already going to the trouble.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Surprise Giraffe posted:

DancingShade posted:

Drops sensors & life support to "D" to save power but otherwise it'll work.

That and it depends how comfortable you are with that 7.x LY max jump range.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

loving hell. Been exploring for probably 5 days, two nebulas, probably 150 systems scanned. I am throttling down to reach the long sight base and don't realize how fast I'm actually descending and lawn dart my asp right into the loving surface. :cripes:

I kind of wonder how much money I lost. I know I didn't personally name anything more cool than a gas giant with rings and a water world. Oh well. I can probably make the money back in 30 minutes of RES but kind of likes the exploration naming bit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My friend badgered me into buying this game on sale and now that I have 10 hours in I have to ask: is there anything to do in this game besides repetitive activities for the purpose of getting more money to make my space numbers bigger?

Either I'm not getting something or this game is extremely loving boring. I want to make sure it's not the former before I give up.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Nope! Or rather, not really. You either find one of the repetitive tasks to do that you like, or... that's about it. Elite has been described as "A mile wide and an inch deep" which is fairly accurate, honestly. Now you can RP spacemans, or try to build your own little narrative, but unless there is something particular you like about the game you will not get a lot of out it. I like the flight - so I tend to run a couple surface missions and do a little combat between breaks. I have also found that driving the SRV around can be fun and you sometimes find goodies along the way.

e: Oh, and I guess if you like making space-scene desktop images then exploration might be fun for a bit.

e2: Oh! And since your buddy pestered you into getting it, make him wing up and go fight in an asteroid belt together. The combat is a chore on your own but it is fun in a group.

Plek fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Chomp8645 posted:

Either I'm not getting something or this game is extremely loving boring. I want to make sure it's not the former before I give up.

The game itself is just a sandbox, it's up to you how you want to play in it. Flying around by yourself chasing more money and bigger ships will get boring real quick.

The community is really vibrant and active and goons have become really good at inventing stuff to do for fun, check out the PGS thread for the Diamond Frogs and see if that sounds interesting. Being a spaceman is a lot more fun when you're working together with people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Plek posted:

I like the flight - so I tend to run a couple surface missions and do a little combat between breaks.

Yeah I have no real complaints with the gameplay. The flight stuff is cool and the combat is fun enough. It just feels like there is no point or purpose to any of it. I feel like the game is screaming for more online activity. As is it feels like an MMO that's had all other players replaced with bots. I can't imagine what I would do with a group anyway. Just shoot the same NPCs I've been shooting by myself?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
You don't DO anything. That's the beauty of it.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
You do the same stuff you're doing now, but for reasons. If you go into a Diamond Frogs system and shoot all the NPCs from the other factions you will lower their influence and raise ours. Or run missions out of a Frog station for the same reason, or trade or turn in exploration data or whatever. It's all the same gameplay but with an actual purpose: spreading our faction's influence.

Why do we want to spread our influence? No reason really, it's just fun. Especially watching the pubbies froth and rage about THE GOOOONS ruining their world, by uh, flying around and playing the game or whatever I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

magic mountain posted:

The community is really vibrant and active and goons have become really good at inventing stuff to do for fun, check out the PGS thread for the Diamond Frogs and see if that sounds interesting. Being a spaceman is a lot more fun when you're working together with people.

I read the OP there and it honestly confuses me. It makes Diamond Frogs sounds almost like an EVE Online entity but based on my experience so far I am extremely skeptical that any such thing could possibly translate to this game. I find myself genuinely wondering if large parts of that OP are a joke or not.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yeah, it's nothing like EVE. That OP is no joke, that's the real history of what we've been up to, but the way it plays out in game is pretty much just the same gameplay you've already seen.

Since other players have to choose to play in open it's not like you can go around griefing them. That's not what it's about.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 4, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
okay

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What's the best way to raise my reputation with Sirius Corp or is it just "do missions" like I suspect?

I'm wondering if RES farming and bounty turn ins will do it instead since that's a lot more enjoyable.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Doing bounties in RES is way faster than doing missions. You want a system that's controlled by Sirius and actually has RES sites (seems like most in-system bounties are issued by the controlling faction, and looking for bounties in regular nav beacons is awful).

HIP 8396 is the only good place to go I believe. It's a bit far out but definitely worth it. As a bonus there's only one other faction in the system and it's an anarchy faction, so every in-system bounty there is issued by Sirius. Fortunately it seems everyone else is aware of this as well, so Sirius maintains 99+% control there with no signs of weakening.

I spent a really dumb amount of time running missions to get myself up from mid-unfriendly to baseline cordial with Sirius. Started doing bounties in HIP 8396 and maxed out the rest of the rep bar in just a few hours.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

timn posted:

I'm planning for a 5000ly voyage because I will have those level 5 dirty drives no matter what it takes. :shepicide:

The most exploring I've done before is honking at systems in the bubble for spare change while going point A to point B. First, my build. There's a lot of extra poo poo on there because it only costs me a couple of ly in jump range compared to a lean D-fit, and my upgraded FSD courtesy of Ms. Martuuk is still pushing ~38ly with the extra fat. Anything obviously stupid or missing in there?

Second, is there a known good destination within 5000ly or so for getting a lot of high value stars, black holes, etc.? Figure I may as well boost my exploration rank way up while I'm already going to the trouble.

All you need for exploring in the bubble is the pair of scanners. Once you get out of the bubble, you will see the last NPC that you'll ever see until you come back. After that point you could replace all your weapons with sacks of rocks for all the utility they have. But rocks would be better, because you only have to burn fuel to move rocks. With weapons, you pay for fuel not only to move them around, but to keep them powered as well.

This build goes 34LY per jump and will shoot exactly as many outside-the-bubble NPCs as your "lots of guns" setup https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFfliddsnf5------020202023c0u0j432i2f24.AwRj4zNMg===.CwBjEYCZLWwZkY4wYmEA

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p5tiFfliddsnf5------02020202v2370j432i2f24.AwRj4zNMg===.CwBjEYCZLWwZkY4wYmEA if you want to land on planets for some reason.

As for destinations, go to your star map and turn off everything but "non sequence" stars and head for a cluster. As you make your way there, check the system map every time you jump and get a detailed scan from anything that looks terraformable.

If you see any naked singularities please let me know so I can come take screenshots.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Wait I was wondering this too. On the Xbox the map is a little funky. What is the best way to find these star clusters full of cool stuff? Just turn on non-sequence and zoom in/out a ton until you spot a cluster?

I think next trip in heading as close to the core as my patience will allow. Exploring is more like listen to podcast/audiobook while scanning.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If I want to mill around earning some decent cash and some empire rep at the same time where would I do that?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

timn posted:

Doing bounties in RES is way faster than doing missions. You want a system that's controlled by Sirius and actually has RES sites (seems like most in-system bounties are issued by the controlling faction, and looking for bounties in regular nav beacons is awful).

HIP 8396 is the only good place to go I believe. It's a bit far out but definitely worth it. As a bonus there's only one other faction in the system and it's an anarchy faction, so every in-system bounty there is issued by Sirius. Fortunately it seems everyone else is aware of this as well, so Sirius maintains 99+% control there with no signs of weakening.

I spent a really dumb amount of time running missions to get myself up from mid-unfriendly to baseline cordial with Sirius. Started doing bounties in HIP 8396 and maxed out the rest of the rep bar in just a few hours.

Awesome tip, thanks. Time to see how my vulture goes outside the main bubble.

Should be ok so long as I keep an eye on the star types.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait I was wondering this too. On the Xbox the map is a little funky. What is the best way to find these star clusters full of cool stuff? Just turn on non-sequence and zoom in/out a ton until you spot a cluster?

I think next trip in heading as close to the core as my patience will allow. Exploring is more like listen to podcast/audiobook while scanning.

Far as I know you answered your first question when you asked your second question.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Kavros posted:

If I want to mill around earning some decent cash and some empire rep at the same time where would I do that?

Shu Babassi. You can get 5-10 courier missions to grind rep plus hauling missions that ear between 2m-4m credits each time in an Asp-E. The hauling missions are ~150 light years so they don't take long either. It took me about 5 hours of play to get up to Master so I could get my icourier.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013

Kavros posted:

I finally got a computer powerful enough to play the game I kickstarted. Just started a few weeks ago and so far I'm empire all the way. I find that Aditi to Synuefe RT-R C-20 is a really easy way to grind rep and cash. Typical courier missions from Aditi all go to the same planet side port, Diamond Vision with reverse missions going back to Aditi, it's easy to max out your mission log. Occasionally you can do haulage back to the bubble for 2-4 mil a time. Progression missions tend to be the same short run too.

Just got me a permit to Achenar, which was awesome in Frontier, and I want to see what they've done to it now. I've spent maybe 6 hours out at Aditi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Shu Babassi. You can get 5-10 courier missions to grind rep plus hauling missions that ear between 2m-4m credits each time in an Asp-E. The hauling missions are ~150 light years so they don't take long either. It took me about 5 hours of play to get up to Master so I could get my icourier.

Great stuff. Any other imperial places of relevance? Also, are there any Federation places to do long hauls?

(I am doing the stuff in Ceos/Sothis atm)

• Locked thread