Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Yeah I know - I just liked the curved ones that are coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Yeast posted:

Yeah I know - I just liked the curved ones that are coming out.

Amen, I am waiting on the FW ones as well. I got some Anvil ones in a trade and pretty disappointed with them. Can';t wait to deck out a terror squad with these and drop them in someones face via dreadclaws

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Has anyone done the LVO 30k events? Might go since a bunch of other mooks from here are going for the 40k events and Vegas sounds fun.

Also turns out ambushing deployment against a bunch of iron circle is a bad idea since I get to place them basically 6" away from my enemy. Poor poor firedrakes, you tried your hardest.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Mechanicum Huggyrax Ursarax up for order.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Turns out Tamiya Metallic Blue spray is a thing!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Mechanicum Huggyrax Ursarax up for order.

I don't think GW/FW has ever done a good-looking running pose. The top guy looks like he's trying to keep a basketball from going out of bounds.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Agreed. Those models look awkward as hell. The only good running robot model is probably the vorax:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Welp, guess I'm committed now.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Welcome to historical battles in the future past...

Now are you a benevolent son of the Imperial Truth, or a lapdog of the Arch-Traitor?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

panascope posted:

remember that you're bitchmade if you don't side with Horus.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Horus sux, emperor rox. Witches get snitches, heretics get the rout.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

adamantium|wang posted:

Welp, guess I'm committed now.

You're living in the right country for it. Next time I visit I'll bring my Sons of Horus.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Welcome to historical battles in the future past...

Now are you a benevolent son of the Imperial Truth, or a lapdog of the Arch-Traitor?

DJ Dizzy posted:

Horus sux, emperor rox. Witches get snitches, heretics get the rout.

Here we see the opinions of bitchmade idiots.

It's neat how all the cool primarchs are evil. Like, Horus is the Warmaster, Angron can pick up a titan by himself, Magnus is a giant cyclops who sprays fire.

On the other side you've got a bunch of bureaucrats and artists. Sanguinius is good at painting or something. Rogal Dorn is a loving civil engineer. Roboute Guilliman is the galaxy's greatest excel spreadsheet maker. This is even brought up in the books, It Is Canon that he is pretty much really good at middle management.

panascope fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 2, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Today the new Seattle group starts their first VisV campaign. Here is the list I'm taking to begin the campaign:

code:
Heroes - 150

Centurion [Jump Pack, Artificer Armor, Excoriator, Refractor Field, Melta-Bombs]
Red Butcher [2x Power Axe]

Personnel - Plentiful - 300

Legion Castraferrum Dread [Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer] - LEAD ELEMENT

Rampager [Jump Pack, Excoriator]

Tactical Marine [Despoiler, Chain Axe]
AP2 is fairly difficult to get at these low points, so I decided to not worry about it and go for a more elite killy group that captured World Eaters fluff well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

panascope posted:

It's neat how all the cool primarchs are evil. Like, Horus is the Warmaster, Angron can pick up a titan by himself, Magnus is a giant cyclops who sprays fire.

On the other side you've got a bunch of bureaucrats and artists. Sanguinius is good at painting or something. Rogal Dorn is a loving civil engineer. Roboute Guilliman is the galaxy's greatest excel spreadsheet maker. This is even brought up in the books, It Is Canon that he is pretty much really good at middle management.

Yeah but we won in the end

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

TTerrible posted:

Horus threw.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hencoe posted:

Horus threw.

It would be easier to try and count the good decisions in that war than the bad ones.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Back in the eye, 30klures. :smuggo:

Although given the rumour that the next edition of 40k this year is moving the clock forward and seeing the return of daemon primarchs maybe you'll win in the end.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You'll be the first up against the wall.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Whole lotta heresy going on ITT.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
This weekend I played a really fun three-game-long mini-campaign using the VIV rules with some streamlining (no ad hoc squads, missions chosen by consensus on a narrative basis.) Our Traitor warbands of Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors had finished cleaning out a complex when we stumbled upon a cache of weapons and priceless gene-seed. No one knows who fired first, but everyone fired second.

The first mission was Murder Raid plus an ammo dump objective, with the losers (ultimately, my Sons of Horus) being declared Survivors for the second mission (since Survivors have a weaker position in the planned scenario). I managed to grab the ammo dump and exit with a pile of Supply Points, but my dudes were heavily hosed up and so they were on the run for the second mission: Hounds and Hunters. I also lost my powerfist Breacher Sergeant, so that sucked.

My boys in sea-green scrambled out of the complex and had to cross through a cordon of remorseless Iron Warriors. Our forces were both Lacking Ammo and Armor at this point (both being pretty hosed up) and we decided that the loser of this game wouldn't be able to run any of his Rank & File units lost in this mission in the final mission. This was a bloody won. Bottom of the last turn, if I'd scored a 2+ on my Run, it would have been a tie, but it came up 1, so I left my Contemptor and a bunch of Seekers and Breachers dead on the field. Both sides limped into game three with every single Leader dead, Lacking Personnel (275 pts each), and Scarce Ammo, and the IW Armor was also down to Scarce.

The final game was an utter shitshow and probably the most fun of the three. We decided it would have no time limit and would end only when one side was either tabled or conceded for narrative reasons. I started by sneaking through some ruins to avoid his Iron Havocs, but within three turns, his Hero (a Martyr) had killed mine (Paragon) in single combat, even as I massacred the rest of his army and exploded his Contemptor with a melta gun. The Iron Warriors Hero then proceeded to run around by himself murdering everything in sight. He killed at least five guys while I tried to pen him in. After he declined to surrender, my meltagun Breacher put one wound on him before being chainfisted into gory chunks. He charged my lone surviving Seeker, failed, almost died to an exceptionally lucky pair of Snap Shots but didn't, charged him again, murdered him, and was finally tackled by my last three Reavers and one Breacher. Their 14 initial attacks bounced off, but at Initiative Step 1, one of their Merciless Fighters attacks miraculously found the gaps in his Cataphractii war-plate. He died, but simultaneously cut apart all three Reavers, leaving a single Breacher to put a bolt into his ugly head.

We decided to call the campaign a tie, and to use its blood feud as the catalyst for all of our future traitor-on-traitor games. There will absolutely be more.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Someone needs to let GW know that this is how you forge a loving narrative.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

Someone needs to let GW know that this is how you forge a loving narrative.

Yeah, the campaign stuff in the HH Books has some stuff lifted directly from Necromunda and it is awesome. This is narrative forging, not loving AoS nouverbers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

This weekend I played a really fun three-game-long mini-campaign using the VIV rules with some streamlining (no ad hoc squads, missions chosen by consensus on a narrative basis.) Our Traitor warbands of Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors had finished cleaning out a complex when we stumbled upon a cache of weapons and priceless gene-seed. No one knows who fired first, but everyone fired second.

The first mission was Murder Raid plus an ammo dump objective, with the losers (ultimately, my Sons of Horus) being declared Survivors for the second mission (since Survivors have a weaker position in the planned scenario). I managed to grab the ammo dump and exit with a pile of Supply Points, but my dudes were heavily hosed up and so they were on the run for the second mission: Hounds and Hunters. I also lost my powerfist Breacher Sergeant, so that sucked.

My boys in sea-green scrambled out of the complex and had to cross through a cordon of remorseless Iron Warriors. Our forces were both Lacking Ammo and Armor at this point (both being pretty hosed up) and we decided that the loser of this game wouldn't be able to run any of his Rank & File units lost in this mission in the final mission. This was a bloody won. Bottom of the last turn, if I'd scored a 2+ on my Run, it would have been a tie, but it came up 1, so I left my Contemptor and a bunch of Seekers and Breachers dead on the field. Both sides limped into game three with every single Leader dead, Lacking Personnel (275 pts each), and Scarce Ammo, and the IW Armor was also down to Scarce.

The final game was an utter shitshow and probably the most fun of the three. We decided it would have no time limit and would end only when one side was either tabled or conceded for narrative reasons. I started by sneaking through some ruins to avoid his Iron Havocs, but within three turns, his Hero (a Martyr) had killed mine (Paragon) in single combat, even as I massacred the rest of his army and exploded his Contemptor with a melta gun. The Iron Warriors Hero then proceeded to run around by himself murdering everything in sight. He killed at least five guys while I tried to pen him in. After he declined to surrender, my meltagun Breacher put one wound on him before being chainfisted into gory chunks. He charged my lone surviving Seeker, failed, almost died to an exceptionally lucky pair of Snap Shots but didn't, charged him again, murdered him, and was finally tackled by my last three Reavers and one Breacher. Their 14 initial attacks bounced off, but at Initiative Step 1, one of their Merciless Fighters attacks miraculously found the gaps in his Cataphractii war-plate. He died, but simultaneously cut apart all three Reavers, leaving a single Breacher to put a bolt into his ugly head.

We decided to call the campaign a tie, and to use its blood feud as the catalyst for all of our future traitor-on-traitor games. There will absolutely be more.
This is brutal as hell and sounds like a lot of fun. I've always been curious about the narrative stuff in the Horus Heresy books, but I've never had the opportunity to try any of it out.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
My 30K career has gotten off to a brilliant start with my charging Praetor and his Deathshroud failing to do any damage to an Imperial Fists breacher squad and subsequently breaking and being swept :shepface:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

Today the new Seattle group starts their first VisV campaign. Here is the list I'm taking to begin the campaign:

code:

Heroes - 150

Centurion [Jump Pack, Artificer Armor, Excoriator, Refractor Field, Melta-Bombs]

Personnel - Plentiful - 300

Legion Castraferrum Dread [Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer] - LEAD ELEMENT

AP2 is fairly difficult to get at these low points, so I decided to not worry about it and go for a more elite killy group that captured World Eaters fluff well.

So I played against Green Marine today and I brought 7 plasma marines with an apothecary and 3 jetbikes with acid heavy bolters. SORRY FOR YOUR NO AP2 PLAN. Our game was a draw because he managed to get a termie, his dreadnought (that I had no real way of dealing with) and a guy with a fuckoff axe and a jump pack into combat with my squad-o-plasmadeath. We killed each other's scoring units and made friends and drank beers so that was great. Here's some pictures of my jetbikes killing BULBASAURS poo poo when we teamed up to fight him later:

It was an awesome afternoon! Dark Angels are great and people who say otherwise have not shot enough acid bolters at things.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I played Iron Warriors as Iron Warriors

Dad I hope you are proud

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I played Iron Warriors as Iron Warriors

Dad I hope you are proud

If Dad is the Emperor he definitely isn't.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Games were fun.

The first game was a terrifying match-up for me as tallkid brought nearly a full plasma support squad and the heavy bolter bikes. My only shooting was 4 bolt pistols and a multi-melta. Much fun was had as tallkid's plasma marines did more damage to themselves than to anyone else and the point was raised that they risked dropping their guns and running away in terror if they continued to get hot. As he says, I was down to three models but once they got into melee they killed everything they touched and that was enough to ensure a stalemate.

The second game had Tallkid and I teaming up against Bulbasaur. The mission we rolled was called something like "murderfest" and mostly involved us running down the middle of the board into a hail of bolter fire (well weathered, actually) and then punching into a surprisingly close melee. Iron Warrior breachers are tough nuts and Bulby was earning action points with every save. These action points could then be spent on rerolls or to buy a unit a special rule for a turn.

Terminators are pretty survivable in these small battles, but the star of the show was probably my castraferrum dread. It got a lot of work done in both games and drew a lot of fire. The foot slogging tactical marines were pretty bad. I need either a rhino or to just bring bolter tacticals as my scoring unit in the future.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had a really great time as well. Really enjoying our modified VisV rules. In particular, I prefer the leadership check and pinning rules much better than vanilla 30k. I'd like to carry those over to our larger games sometime. Makes morale matter much more.

GreenMarine's red butchers were solid. More scary than justaerin in melee, but less shooty. His dreadnaught did quite a bit of work as well and after they focus fired my havocs turn 1 all I could do was to glance him to death with grenades. As for the dark angels, my opinion of them has changed quite a bit. Jetbikes with acid bolters are crazy good shooting platforms. They're the bane of admech and foot slogging infantry. Just the AP D6 rule is good, but 2+ poison ontop of makes them crazy good for 5 points. I expect the right thing to do against them is to run more armour.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

Russ is good at loving and slaying and drinking. What more do you need, feeble manling.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

In particular, I prefer the leadership check and pinning rules much better than vanilla 30k. I'd like to carry those over to our larger games sometime. Makes morale matter much more.
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that, was looking at the rules this morning since I'm playing an imperial fists buddy tonight and drat, those make the tests mean something instead of "lolLD9"

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Russ is good at loving and slaying and drinking. What more do you need, feeble manling.

Russ was nearly beaten to death by a guy missing a chunk of his brain.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I have a non-goon friend who is dipping his toes into 30k. I think I'd like to ease him into some ViV since he already plays HoR Kill Team, but I also haven't played any ViV myself. Is there any advice that you might give to someone just starting out with ViV?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

Russ was nearly beaten to death by a guy missing a chunk of his brain.

And the guy with half a brain got his entire legion outflanked and ready to be torn apart by the same guy. Russ has also punched the emperor and lived to tell about it. Twice.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

And the guy with half a brain got his entire legion outflanked and ready to be torn apart by the same guy. Russ has also punched the emperor and lived to tell about it. Twice.

The other time Russ got his rear end kicked it became a national holiday.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Every single traitor primarch has poor self esteem and daddy issues.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Fearless posted:

Every single traitor primarch has poor self esteem and daddy issues.
You know it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hencoe posted:

You know it's true.

Yeah but the loyalist ones don't act out on it.