Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been on the fence with this show, but tonight's episode was fuckin legit. The motel fight had me smiling the entire time. So absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Haha that seraph fight scene was amazing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That cold opening was easily one of the best of any show in a long, long time.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wouldn't worry too much about Eugene. He probably just rushed off to Hell, Michigan.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I can't wait for next week, Preacher's gonna blow the town away!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dr Christmas posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about Eugene. He probably just rushed off to Hell, Michigan.

I lived a mile outside Hell for a few years. It's literally like a gas station and an Arbys.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Laying exhausted & blood-soaked in a room full of angel corpses:

Cass: "...D'ye know what this reminds me of?"

Jesse: "Shut up, Cassidy."

It's finally Preacher.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, that was a loving episode.

I loved it, especially how it opens with the wonderful black comedy turning multiple killings into humor, but then the show ends with Jesse doing a truly monstrous thing without even striking a blow

Zaphod42 posted:

Tulip continues to be the worst. Goddamn. She's angry at Jesse even though he didn't do anything, and she slept with Cass so she has no right.

I thought that was the point, to be fair. She feels guilty about sleeping with somebody else (Cass has no idea she and Jesse had a thing) so she lashes out by having a go at Jesse's assistant (I feel bad I don't know her name) as a way of dealing with her guilt. After which she sits fuming in her car because she knows she is in the wrong, to the point of actually spending the day with her helping her do Church stuff.

I've thought Tulip was the weaker part of the series at first, but the last couple of episodes I'm starting to come around to this version of her. She stands apart from the rest of the town and recognizes - and openly points out - a lot of the bullshit going on, but she's got such a blindspot for Jesse that she can't pull herself clear and it's turning her in knots which in turn causes her to lash out just tying her up further.

Supreme Allah posted:

Laying exhausted & blood-soaked in a room full of angel corpses:

Cass: "...D'ye know what this reminds me of?"

Jesse: "Shut up, Cassidy."

It's finally Preacher.

Yeah, that was fantastic.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwille posted:

I think it's interesting that Jesse doesn't use the Power on Tulip. At first I thought it's to show that he's aware of how it's basically like raping someone, which fits with Donnie's scene but that would mean he's OK with coercing everyone else except her, which doesn't really jive.

Because he's obsessed with using it for "good." Telling her to go away wouldn't be good.. and down deep I think it's obvious he doesn't WANT her to go away. So it makes sense.

Also telling someone to stay the gently caress away from you (even with mind control) hardly qualifies as rape. If you want mind control rapists, you want Jessica Jones.

Zwille posted:

One thing I don't understand is how Odin is serving God by killing the environmentalists. Could be it's drinking alcohol after 6 PM (I'm no Bible buff so I dunno), but then the fourth dude getting killed is weird, he didn't drink. Did he swear or something? If Odin is able to circumvent Jesse's order on purpose by interpreting the Word in some way that would be kinda lame but also cool commentary on the nature of holy scriptures (antiquated, open to interpretation etc.). I wonder if Odin is gonna become some sort of Christian crusader.

My pet theory is that God wants the environment to die so the world can end (and they can win in the apocalypse) but that's just a wild unfounded guess. It's the only thing I can think of though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

Could be that the girl was working with/riding a horse, Arseface attempted suicide, and the noise of the gunshot startled the horse and it bucked her. That or, 'horseback riding accident' may just be more 'palatable' of a story as to what caused Tracy to go into a coma. Possibly she had a suicide attempt herself, or even a pact with Eugene, and since suicide is a sin, the family made up a cover story to make it sound less 'shameful'. Heck, I had a childhood friend that ended up braindead and eventually taken off life support due to a 'car accident'. Truth came out at the funeral when the Rabbi launched into a tirade about how suicide was wrong etc. etc. Turned out he had attempted suicide by hanging, and when his mother found him, he'd been without oxygen too long. It was awful; the mother absolutely broke down during the service then and everyone there was just like :stare: for the rest of it. (Dick move by the Rabbi if you ask me)

E: Also, am I misremembering, or did Tracy have an amputated leg as well? I think I remember a shot while Jesse was speaking to her mother, they showed a shot of a healed leg stump?

I think that he tried to shoot himself because he somehow put her in that coma, not that the two happened at once. A lot of clues have been pointing that way.

He's somehow responsible for it, and he's where he's at now because he couldn't take the guilt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kulkasha posted:

I can't wait for next week, Preacher's gonna blow the town away!
I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't hear what he was going to say, although Eugene getting sent to hell was a decent substitute.

Jerusalem posted:

I've thought Tulip was the weaker part of the series at first, but the last couple of episodes I'm starting to come around to this version of her.
She's been very inconsistently characterised is the major problem.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

So... the voice has been characterized as making people follow the voice to their best ability/interpretation. But it now has the power to shift people into alternate dimensions/realities? (Which is how I would define Hell, or close enough that it makes no difference when someone literally vanishes) Wouldn't he have just gone and immediately killed himself believing that's where he'd end up?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Justin Credible posted:

So... the voice has been characterized as making people follow the voice to their best ability/interpretation. But it now has the power to shift people into alternate dimensions/realities? (Which is how I would define Hell, or close enough that it makes no difference when someone literally vanishes) Wouldn't he have just gone and immediately killed himself believing that's where he'd end up?

The Word can override reality. This is just my speculation from watching the show and reading the comic, but I don't think it's something in the brain of the afflicted being forced to do something as much as it is Jesse telling the universe what's going to happen. Although that wouldn't explain why only sentient beings who can understand English would be affected...(the dogs were technically a plot hole in relation to the rules of the comic, but I handwaved it as them being trained dogs who understand the command "quiet").

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think they are specifically making Genesis more powerful than the comics. The book was just like " Tell people to do stuff".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

I think they are specifically making Genesis more powerful than the comics. The book was just like " Tell people to do stuff".

There was at least one point where it showed the Word was more than just mind control - not quite as over the top as last night, but still -

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From last night's episode it definitely seems like they're keeping the grandma part of Jesse's backstory.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The opening was really great. I don't like the direction Jesse seems to be going though.

I really liked the Nirvana smiley face sticker in Arseface's locker, as his past in the comics would probably be too dated for the show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Medullah posted:

There was at least one point where it showed the Word was more than just mind control - not quite as over the top as last night, but still -

Yeah I look forward to Jesse using the word like that in the show. Jesse never really explored what the word could do because he was kind of a idiot.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

NinetySevenA posted:

The opening was really great. I don't like the direction Jesse seems to be going though.

I think it's ok because it is exploring what kind of person Jeese really is. He wants to do good, he wants to help people, but at the same time he also really is a dick and not a very good person. I'm assuming that is why Genesis chose him and he did not explode. He is a twisted mess of good and evil just like Genesis. Also, it gives Jesse something to develop into. For all of the attempts at being good, and being conflicted, we hadn't seen Jesse the way Tulip does. We just did. Only a true rear end in a top hat would tell Eugene to Go To Hell for being confused, conflicted, and not wanting people to forgive him because they had no choice in the matter.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

muscles like this? posted:

From last night's episode it definitely seems like they're keeping the grandma part of Jesse's backstory.

What, the "I will finally be free?" Cause John Custer also being a Preacher kinda threw that all for a loop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kulkasha posted:

What, the "I will finally be free?" Cause John Custer also being a Preacher kinda threw that all for a loop.

Nah, when he was talking about that back tattoo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's some really hosed up poo poo, Preacher. Eugene and Emily seem to be the only actually good people in town, and he's sent one to hell and so much poo poo looks like it's being set up to rain down on Emily in the next few episodes.

Justin Credible posted:

This is the first time that Jesse gave a command to do something other than a humanly possible order. If Genesis has power beyond Angels and Demons, actually sending someone to Hell isn't too much of a tall order. This is just the first time Jesse hasn't told someone/animals to do something they couldn't physically do on their own, even if they misinterpret his instructions.

JossiRossi posted:

I think it's ok because it is exploring what kind of person Jeese really is. He wants to do good, he wants to help people, but at the same time he also really is a dick and not a very good person. I'm assuming that is why Genesis chose him and he did not explode. He is a twisted mess of good and evil just like Genesis. Also, it gives Jesse something to develop into. For all of the attempts at being good, and being conflicted, we hadn't seen Jesse the way Tulip does. We just did. Only a true rear end in a top hat would tell Eugene to Go To Hell for being confused, conflicted, and not wanting people to forgive him because they had no choice in the matter.

It's a little on the nose, but I really like how they've been building up Jesse ignoring any other explanation that the Voice is the will of god and he's doing the right thing by using it. Also how not actually being a great person is affecting his actions, leading up to actually going mad with power in an attempt to "free" himself and the town.

Given his insistence on fulfilling his promise, and the way that he talked about his tulip tattoo, it's actually kind of touching how all of this is actually eating away at him when he really does want to be out riding around with Tulip.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 4, 2016

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I'm finding this series a great followup to Jessica Jones, as it's showing that the Purple man's power, even if held by somebody who is basically a good egg, is likely not to be able to use it for good purposes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's better story wise that Jesse becomes kind of corrupted by the power he wields.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nice to see the waif from Game of Thrones still getting work.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
'This is like Pulp Fiction, you know.'
'Right. And I'm Vincent Vega.'
*considers* '...Eh, it's cool.' *scratches armpit, sniffs*

Oh, those two boys of mine.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
On the plus side with Eugene we should get to see how this show depicts Hell, and maybe (speculation based on nothing) Heaven too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

This is the first time that Jesse gave a command to do something other than a humanly possible order.
He did command Cass to fly, but there was a wall in the way. We'll never know how that would have turned out...

Sooo, what if Eugene meets the Saint in hell?

Hollismason posted:

It's better story wise that Jesse becomes kind of corrupted by the power he wields.
Yeah, in the comics it was like "hmm, this is very great power, I mustn't misuse it" more or less immediately, and then throughout the series Jesse talked a whole lot about not misusing the power, except of course for all the times he did and flimsily justified it somehow. The show's approach works a lot better/at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, in the comics it was like "hmm, this is very great power, I mustn't misuse it" more or less immediately, and then throughout the series Jesse talked a whole lot about not misusing the power, except of course for all the times he did and flimsily justified it somehow. The show's approach works a lot better/at all.

Things went to poo poo a lot quicker in the comic. Eugene going to Hell is really the first time anything bad has happened to Jesse at all, or as a result of using Genesis. (aside from the guy from the pilot, but that could be handwaved as doing it accidentally and knowing to be more careful now)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I doubt the show will attempt to depict heaven or hell simply because doing it remotely correct would involve a gigantic budget.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zaphod42 posted:

I doubt the show will attempt to depict heaven or hell simply because doing it remotely correct would involve a gigantic budget.

Who's version of correct?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Most people (whether they actually believe in it or not) probably think of a typical hellscape as something like a Hieronymus Bosch painting

I like the Bill and Ted version of hell myself

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My only problem with the Seraph fight was that she didn't seem to be trying to restrain them. She seemed perfectly fine just killing them repeatedly for basically no gain. I thought there the potential for an interesting fight scene there with a bunch of very powerful beings trying to not kill each other.

still pretty dope though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She was trying to kill Jesse, presumably. Incapacitating the other two wouldn't have done any good, since they could be freed or killed for a respawn by their allies, and one of them did yell "kill me!" off screen.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zaphod42 posted:

I think they could do a cheesy stylized low-budget version of it, similar to how they showed Genesis arriving on Earth in the pilot, and it'd work. I'd be surprised if they went into all that though.

Very glad to see that one of my favorite and incredibly dark parts of Jesse's backstory is probably still a thing, if there's any part of the comic I want them to adapt in a mostly 1:1 way it's how he grew up.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

She was trying to kill Jesse, presumably. Incapacitating the other two wouldn't have done any good, since they could be freed or killed for a respawn by their allies, and one of them did yell "kill me!" off screen.
I thought she was trying to reach the heaven phone, to call for reinforcements. She did have Jesse at gunpoint at the start of the fight, but then he did his little "you'll have to look away to use the phone" speech, and disarmed her when she did just that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SimonChris posted:

I thought she was trying to reach the heaven phone, to call for reinforcements. She did have Jesse at gunpoint at the start of the fight, but then he did his little "you'll have to look away to use the phone" speech, and disarmed her when she did just that.

Ohhh, yeah. I forgot about that detail.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

In the comic where iirc the only time it was shown was in the Saint of Killers mini series, it was a Dante's Inferno situation with dead souls marching into a typical fire-and-brimstone setting, with demons waiting to punish them. Then again that mini series also showed Satan and the Angel of Death sitting around playing cards, so.

I think there's plenty of room for interpretation.

Best live-action Hell portrayal was in Constantine.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NinetySevenA posted:

I really liked the Nirvana smiley face sticker in Arseface's locker, as his past in the comics would probably be too dated for the show.

I thought that was a neat little nod too. I was kinda worried when those three kids started hanging out with him; I was expecting them to just be playing him or something. I was relieved when it was just setting off fireworks.

Though with what happened to him by the end of the ep, if the back story with his connection to Tracy will be explained, like if he's tormented by guilt, or forced to relive the incident while he's in Hell.

Also, my god Fiore and Deblanc are my favorites, that open against the Seraphim was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was kinda worried when those three kids started hanging out with him; I was expecting them to just be playing him or something. I was relieved when it was just setting off fireworks.
I think that was mostly the point. Most of the reason Arseface doesn't have friends is because people are dicks. Even adults treat him like poo poo. But the other part (that they did a really good job showing) is that it's gotta be hard for the guy to trust anyone who actually is nice to him because you know he's gotten burned like that before and it's probably made him paranoid around his peers.

It also helps make his optimism a lot more respectable to me (which in the comics came across as naive and borderline mentally challenged). Way to go dude, at least you found a few folks who really did just want to show you something cool. Based on my reaction to those scenes, I wouldn't have.

• Locked thread