Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ImpAtom posted:

The protagonist of The Force Awakens, the person who literally follows all of Luke Skywalker's path and eventually inherits his lightsaber and defeats the villain before going to train with Luke Skywalker, is Rey. Claiming she isn't the protagonist is dishonest as poo poo in your attempt to justify your cynicism. Even if you ignore that the protagonist of Rogue One is unarguably a woman so your point is still invalid. Stop being stupid so you can justify being cynical.

You're arguing with CharlesTheHammer. Why even bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Max Landis is dumb as poo poo

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
We have a LOT of humps to get over before DC should think about adapting a live action Kingdom Come. The story wouldn't even work. Our Superman is 2 for 2 on killing dudes who become an inconvenience for him. Batman and WW are killers too depending on their mood. It would have to be some weird reverse Kingdom Come where Magog is crazy focused on not killing people and Superman has to show him how much easier it is to just kill them.

I would like to see Shazam. I'm not sure how we get over "Kid turns into Superman" but considering how stubborn I am about Robin, I'd like to see them try.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

I would like to see Shazam.

They're doing a Shazam movie, you know.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SonicRulez posted:

I understand how lovely that is, but gender biased marketing shouldn't prevent you from realizing who the lead of the film is. I mean all Star Wars marketing is centered around Vader WAY more than it is Luke. Luke isn't the one that made it to Soul Calibur.

I forgot this happened holy poo poo

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

They're doing a Shazam movie, you know.

Something about the link on the last page tipped me off. Read it as "I would like to see Shazam."

Raserys posted:

I forgot this happened holy poo poo

Him, Yoda, and Starkiller. Which is still a really badass codename.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Wars would have been a lot weirder if that had been Luke's as planned.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BiggerBoat posted:

Who could play old, broken, brace wearing Batman? Bruce Willis?

Ben Affleck.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Soonmot posted:

I get that I'm the weird one for hating Sam Nova, but gently caress if you think even Marvel will be able to make a movie centered around a tween not annoying and terrible af

I hate him too. Richard Rider all the way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chaos Hippy posted:

You're arguing with CharlesTheHammer. Why even bother?

He can't admit when he is wrong.

Also Luke is barely the protagonist till Return and the bad ones didn't actually introduce anyone close to a protagonist till at least clones and even then ehhhh. So Star Wars has a history of this.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also Luke is barely the protagonist till Return and the bad ones didn't actually introduce anyone close to a protagonist till at least clones and even then ehhhh. So Star Wars has a history of this.

Seriously? He's without a doubt the protagonist by the second scene he's in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Star Wars would have been a lot weirder if that had been Luke's as planned.

Oh, yeah, Dark Horse did a comic of that, didn't they? It was an adaptation of one of the later treatments or early drafts of the script, where the protagonist is Annikin Starkiller, his father is General Luke Starkiller, Chewie is an eight-foot tall baboon and Han Solo is the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

What the hell Star Wars did you watch?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think maybe he has a narrow, incorrect definition of protagonist.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

I think maybe he has a narrow, incorrect definition of protagonist.
Character built almost exclusively around the Hero's Journey mono-myth not actually protagonist.

A good troll.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing Marvel and Star Wars together for a moment, I hope they have another Purple Man in the future, and he's played by John Boyega wearing this suit:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bringing Marvel and Star Wars together for a moment, I hope they have another Purple Man in the future, and he's played by John Boyega wearing this suit:

Nah. This guy would be the perfect Night Thrasher.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Saints Row movie going to rule

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

What the hell Star Wars did you watch?

The two good ones and five bad ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Travis343 posted:

Saints Row movie going to rule

I would accept him as Johnny Gat. He's too good to waste on Pierce.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

I would accept him as Johnny Gat. He's too good to waste on Pierce.

UH, he'd be the Boss, Daniel Dae Kim has to be Gat. There is no other Gat.

drat, I am going to have to play through SR2,3 and 4 again with Finn as the Boss.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just bought SRIV on steam sale, and I've been having an awful lot of fun playing as Namor the Sub-Mariner.

It's made me really want a Namor movie, actually. I hope that happens someday.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was so upset that I couldn't make a proper Bane in SR3. You'd think a game with an entire Luchador gang would have decent wrestling outfit options.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Watching the extended cut of BvS. Eisenberg would have played a very solid Edward Nygma.

Also holy poo poo, whoever mentioned the Perry White sass in this movie was not kidding. It's been a few months since I saw the original cut but I feel like there's about a 300% increase in Clark Kent just getting mercilessly bullied. No wonder he's always killing people.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 3, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WB is "making" a Shazam movie in the sense that they keep saying that they are but there's never actually any forward movement on it so it probably doesn't really count.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wheat Loaf posted:

That is a strong suit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

WB is "making" a Shazam movie in the sense that they keep saying that they are but there's never actually any forward movement on it so it probably doesn't really count.

It's probably going to happen as much as the Gambit movie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BvS is better, still not good. Doomsday is a huge kryptonite albatross around this movie's neck that just pulls it into the darkest depths of the loving Suck Ocean. Superman is much more sympathetic this time around. He comes across like a guy who does want to do Good but is beaten back at every turn by a hateful, jealous world. He seems more confused and frustrated than the aloof and disinterested cardboard cut-out from the theatrical version.

There's still so much awful, wrongheaded poo poo dragging this movie down to call it good, but this cut is definitely an improvement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this? posted:

I gathered as much but I'd still love to see it get made.

I like the character and the costume and am even old enough to remember the 1970's TV show but, yeah. Perusing the subject only gave me one actor being cast (Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam) so that, combined with DC's rather crappy start in building a shared universe doesn't exactly fill me with hope and optimism.

For some reason I thought Captain Marvel predated Superman but turns out I was off by a year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I gathered as much but I'd still love to see it get made.

I like the character and the costume and am even old enough to remember the 1970's TV show but, yeah. Perusing the subject only gave me one actor being cast (Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam) so that, combined with DC's rather crappy start in building a shared universe doesn't exactly fill me with hope and optimism.

For some reason I thought Captain Marvel predated Superman but turns out I was off by a year.

Marvel is after Superman but a lot of what modern Superman is comes from Marvel, basically.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

Marvel is after Superman but a lot of what modern Superman is comes from Marvel, basically.

It's because when DC got ahold of Fawcett they took the guy who was doing Captain Marvel and basically had him do that, but with Superman.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

BvS is better, still not good. Doomsday is a huge kryptonite albatross around this movie's neck that just pulls it into the darkest depths of the loving Suck Ocean. Superman is much more sympathetic this time around. He comes across like a guy who does want to do Good but is beaten back at every turn by a hateful, jealous world. He seems more confused and frustrated than the aloof and disinterested cardboard cut-out from the theatrical version.

There's still so much awful, wrongheaded poo poo dragging this movie down to call it good, but this cut is definitely an improvement.

Having never seen BvS before seeing the ultimate edition just now, this is how Superman came across to me as well and he seemed a lot more sympathetic than the superdick I had heard about from people who saw the original.

Also yeah, I heard the theater cut was real bad, came into the UE with low expectations, certainly didn't blow me away or anything but the film was alright. Granted, it was alright and also 3 hours long, meaning it's worse than all the other alright 2.5 hour movies out there, but it was good enough that I'm still interested in the Justice League movie.

Other thought; while I did like the scenes of Wonder Woman in armor and fighting, her whole exchange with Bruce about how her dress/she is so sexy that most men underestimate her was real bad. Gadot herself was good as Diane, and I'm totally on board for her solo film, but I didn't really like the movie's Wonder Woman until the fight with Doomsday.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

Having never seen BvS before seeing the ultimate edition just now, this is how Superman came across to me as well and he seemed a lot more sympathetic than the superdick I had heard about from people who saw the original.

Also yeah, I heard the theater cut was real bad, came into the UE with low expectations, certainly didn't blow me away or anything but the film was alright. Granted, it was alright and also 3 hours long, meaning it's worse than all the other alright 2.5 hour movies out there, but it was good enough that I'm still interested in the Justice League movie.

Other thought; while I did like the scenes of Wonder Woman in armor and fighting, her whole exchange with Bruce about how her dress/she is so sexy that most men underestimate her was real bad. Gadot herself was good as Diane, and I'm totally on board for her solo film, but I didn't really like the movie's Wonder Woman until the fight with Doomsday.

An actual Ultimate Cut of this movie would add the scenes from this version but cut out about a half an hour elsewhere. The 'Knightmare' bit goes on way too long. The Flash portal scene is awful and doesn't even add anything to the shared universe building. The entire Wayne murder/funeral could be cut (the relevant parts are repeated again during the actual Batman/Superman fight anyway). Superman's first death and rebirth in outer space could easily be trimmed. The Batmobile chase sequence could be lost without really losing anything. As a bonus you'd lose that God-awful "Do you bleed?" line. There's so many slow-motion lingering shots of spent shell casings falling to the ground throughout this movie you could trim five minutes from that alone.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

the superdick I had heard about from people who saw the original.

The ambiguity of Superman was one of the strengths of the ultimate cut that was turned into a complaint somehow.

Like with Doomsday, people are criticizing the movie for acknowledging the apocalyptic consequences of Superman like Man of Steel does.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Blade is British...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The ambiguity of Superman was one of the strengths of the ultimate cut that was turned into a complaint somehow.

Like with Doomsday, people are criticizing the movie for acknowledging the apocalyptic consequences of Superman like Man of Steel does.

Thematically Doomsday is great. He's an unstoppable killing machine who only exists because Superman failed, brought to life by the embodiment of human jealousy and mistrust.

In practice though Doomsday is fifty straight minutes of a literal video game boss roaring and giving off light shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Travis343 posted:

Thematically Doomsday is great. He's an unstoppable killing machine who only exists because Superman failed, brought to life by the embodiment of human jealousy and mistrust.

Except the movie does nothing with this angle anyway so even if it's what they meant to say it's still kinda bullshit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

(Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam)

I love Rocky, but I honestly think he's too old and weird-looking to really pull off the role anymore. He's one of those dudes that stayed buff well after it made sense for him to and it's not done his skin any favors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Adam is an elf with lightning powers. I think it's fine if he looks weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Remember when people were making jokes about how the Joker in Suicide Squad looked like he was designed to appeal to the Hot Topic crowd?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not a poster but

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

• Locked thread