Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I pretty much just look for 3-4 stats per position (marking, tackling, heading for defenders, etc) + overall good physical + a few stats I like my whole team to be decent in (passing, decisions, work rate...) although like Sassassin has pointed out these skills are often misleading and badly implemented in the match engine this is more a question of faith than knowledge.

It's probably suboptimal, but it seems to work. Every now and then I also take a punt on a cheap lower league/foreign league player who has good stats even if I'm unconvinced from his skills. Half the time they're just flops, but the other half are players with good hidden attributes or who just "make it work" despite their skills being average.

Finding players though is just a question of routine rather than clever play. Scouts are pretty useless, but with the new 'ranges' of skill they say least serve a purpose now. Scout reports can sometimes be useful to find high/low hidden attributes, but that's something you do when you've already got a target...

For lower leagues, a decent technique is to look through clubs that are about 1-2 divisions higher and check out recently released players & expiring contracts. Any player that interested you gets a scout report, so that over the coming days you can refine your search before making offers, without dealing with shortlists.

But yeah, is just looking at plenty of players and training your eyes to follow a path and recognising patterns... which isn't exactly the most exciting part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

sassassin posted:

It'll feel like a decent upgrade with lots of new features.

cool I got it, time for some proper amateur level toiling

e: man that LP is incredible

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Qualified for the Champions League as Forest Green while Sweden won the 2026 World Cup. What a time to be alive. I've reached that awkward stage where I can't really improve my team but not spending a bunch of money over the summer is so boring....

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
God contracts confuse the poo poo out of me I wish there was a way to automatically respond players I wanted without getting completely hosed

What are some good back 4 and midfield signings for a championship side? Blackburb rovers in a 4-3-3 downloaded tactic?

Its FBs(a), CBs(d) behind a BWM(s)

Got a centermid (s) and centermid (a) next to each other and than 2 wingers wide attack and an advanced foward attack.

Playing control, very fluid and like 16 team instructions.

I only have one decent option for that bwm(s) role but im happy with my attacking players even though weve not scored or conceded in 5 leauge games.

:/

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
If you are looking for a centre back then if you have the large database on it'll include Turkey and you should try Sukinyer Dadsdik

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

Sassasin, any idea if the Euro performances will be reflected in the player scores for FM17?

They will be taken into account. The first phase of data updates - when they ask that the CA/PA ratings be finalised - was completed before the tournament, but researchers get their files back for a second and third phase before the beta starts (and glaring errors still get fixed after that... in theory).

Only the laziest and/or most obstinate researchers (Stoke's) won't be massaging their figures to reflect the results of the tournament. Accuracy to the public perception of players is more important than their "objective" ability.

Shazback posted:

Or will it just be ignored so that England can be a perennial World Cup semi-finalist?

English researchers will continue to overrate their clubs English players. The strength of the league (and bias towards clubs like Liverpool) gives them high squad averages and individual player caps to work with. National teams aren't looked at directly, players are the responsibility of their club researcher.

It's not an ideal system.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Qualified for the Champions League as Forest Green while Sweden won the 2026 World Cup. What a time to be alive. I've reached that awkward stage where I can't really improve my team but not spending a bunch of money over the summer is so boring....

time to spend shitloads on talented youngsters and/or facility upgrades!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pulled the trigger on this. Time to start looking up some beginner info. Any recommended skins or databases or whatever? Also, I assume the whole "Little League Manager" is for experienced players and beginners should just stick to a megabastard or at least a upper echelon team?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

im gonna need some tips on transfers, I seem to be getting mugged off regularly. Every player I want always seems to be priced in the millions when I negotiate. I'm after Ryan Gauld from sporting at the moment, he's valued at 600k and is a backup player but when I try to negotiate they want 14 mil, am I doing something wrong? Also what's the point of paying in instalments for players, does it bleed into your transfer budget for the next year instead or something? Sorry for the daft questions but I'm shite at FM

Player Value is a figure that should have been removed from the games years ago. It's not relevant to the player at all anymore, and only confuses people that assume the game is sensibly designed.

It's an accounting figure used in FFP calculations. What clubs actually want/will offer is based on a whole other set of calculations.

Although it is semi-useful as a way to sort the transfer list.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Grillfiend posted:

time to spend shitloads on talented youngsters and/or facility upgrades!

Yeah, I have a ton of solid young players now. I just need the board to give me a decent feeder club. I love sending them all out together and getting some poo poo squad promoted through the leagues/dominating a foreign league.

Right now my only ones are way too low level and they keep rejecting my choices or offering me awful ones if I let them choose :argh:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ugh I don't know dick about contracts and all these clauses are so intimidating...but I don't know what to add or subtract...I try to stay away from % raises but everyone loving wants them....what are some contract tips?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Delegate the parts of the game you don't enjoy to your assman or dof.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Delegating without the game doing stupid poo poo would be a dream.

For contracts, I just try to get a low wage & no loyalty bonus or minimum release, over at least 2-3 years. If the player wants a clause, I usually keep it in, but try to push the value in my favour. % increases end up being low, % decreases don't really matter because you'll be sacked, and minimum goals or team of the year or promotion package is fine (within 1-2 months of wage at most) since it usually won't be triggered.

I prefer to negotiate plenty of rounds & start pretty far from their opening offer, which occasionally leads to a player's agent having a fit; but those are the breaks I live with.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just save scum before any contract or player interaction. Otherwise you'll pick some entirely reasonable sounding option but it's actually the in game equivalent of making GBS threads in their cereal.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i think im getting hosed in all my transfer negotiations

e: well I finally found some players I want to offer and I cheated using some wonderkid lists and cheap transfer lists but literaly no one wants to play for Blackburn in the Championship :/

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 1, 2016

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Personally I learned a lot more when I started in League 2 because there was so little to work with. Those tiny % make a huge difference at that level so you learn to work with what you got, rather than trying to apply your philosophy to the team.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

nervana posted:

Personally I learned a lot more when I started in League 2 because there was so little to work with. Those tiny % make a huge difference at that level so you learn to work with what you got, rather than trying to apply your philosophy to the team.

i wanted to do championship cause i figured i'd have a bit of a budget and be able to attract talent but :/

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Waroduce posted:

i wanted to do championship cause i figured i'd have a bit of a budget and be able to attract talent but :/

Right I understand but remember even a "League 2" team can attract top class players when your team becomes good enough, for example, the Champions League.

If you mean you want to sign up players you know already, yeah it's going to be tough. You basically have to promote the team to the Premier league before all the players you know retire :/

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

nervana posted:

Right I understand but remember even a "League 2" team can attract top class players when your team becomes good enough, for example, the Champions League.

If you mean you want to sign up players you know already, yeah it's going to be tough. You basically have to promote the team to the Premier league before all the players you know retire :/

I didn't even go after players I know, I don't really know anyone except world class players, but I went after like...Balanta, Mammana, Andrija Zivkovic, Arango and all of them are not interested in playing in the Championship with me

e: Does anyone have coach hiring recommendations? My guys are being poached and my staff is getting low

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 1, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just pay them whatever they want if the board allows it. It's not your money, who cares?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Just pay them whatever they want if the board allows it. It's not your money, who cares?

I did i didnt try to negotiate with them and they all just shut me down

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Let your board/DOF/Chairman whoever deal with staff hires. Unless you're a power player or you're a sperg (ok, we're probably all spergs, playing Excel Manager 2016) the difference between a coach with 12 or 15 in Attacking doesn't do much, if anything.

You can decide who does the hiring and stuff in the Staff > Responsibilities menu.

If you really don't know which players are interested in your club, you can get the DOF/Chairman to buy players, and you just have the final "yes/no". Don't expect them to swamp you in new players though, since the game seems to think that it isn't allowed to make offers for more than 1 player at the same time.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Waroduce posted:

Ugh I don't know dick about contracts and all these clauses are so intimidating...but I don't know what to add or subtract...I try to stay away from % raises but everyone loving wants them....what are some contract tips?

I like tossing in £0 relegation release clauses because lol I'm never getting relegated in a league with Ross County and Dundee United. That can help to get rid of some obnoxious clauses like percent increases and poo poo. Also always check they're not asking for a general release clause, drives me absolutely nuts being forced to lose a player because I didn't check the contract properly or forgot to renew it without that clause. One time had to reload a 3 month old save to renew my keeper's contract without a 9million release clause so loving PSG wouldn't nick him from me (check out Alisson at Internacional). Also a few pages ago if you're struggling for decent-ish cheap players I did a whole post about some good loving cheap signings I did that have ended up being world class.

EDIT: Just had a look at who you tried to sign, yeah, not gonna get those with Blackburn. Maybe you'd like to try again with Celtic? Good club for a beginner. You'll walk the league, but will need to keep ahead of Aberdeen and Rangers, and you'll be able to chase improvements for your Champions League squad. So you won't need any instant signing magic and will be able to develop slowly and properly (what Deila kinda tried to do but the board had a fit that they couldn't do what they did with Hooper and Wanyama in the squad after they sold everyone to English teams and sacked him for Brendan Rodgers, of all people).

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 2, 2016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just play Leicester. You start with a solid team with a few stars and some money for transfers. Also you're not expected to do fantastically.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
One of my 'rotation' strikers has spent the last 9 months listening to the media saying he should be dropped.

It might only be the Faroe Islands, but I'm fairly sure scoring 7 in a game to make your overall record 21 goals in 18 games makes you close to undroppable.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Any recommendations for a beast, game breaking plug and play tactic for FM 14?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hegay posted:

Any recommendations for a beast, game breaking plug and play tactic for FM 14?

I would be interested in what you guys run on fm16. I am currently running this

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-16-tactics/358219-bluths-16-3-tweak.html

as Blackburn Rovers, not arsenal, in my second season. I'm having trouble filling the tequestra and CF role.

I signed some old striker from the prem and I have a nice American regen striker who looks like a wonderkid but both are poo poo CF's.

I'm also not sure if having attacking wingbacks is too attacking. I have alot of 3-2,3-3 score lines but i don't know how to ensure my wingers pick up any attacking slack

i also don't know poo poo about football tactics so i am scared to change anything as i dont know how to balance any changes.

I have great wingers, as I got Josh Murphy, Alejandro Bedoya (who is great in either central roles and a decent poor mans tequestra), and Ben Marshall so I'm interested in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1 with wide wingers

anyone have anything?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It looks like you're trying to play creative technical possession football in the Championship with poo poo players, which is probably your problem. You can't find good players for Complete Forward and Trequartista because the players you can get in the Championship are not good enough to play those roles. You would probably do better trying to make your tactics less elaborate, give less creative freedom to your players, and make a more rigidly defined game plan that your limited-in-ability players can handle better. Save the Barcelona poo poo for when you get to the Champions League and are signing Messi regens.

That's my first impression anyway, not knowing anything about the squad you've built.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Change your WBs to FB-support and central defenders to CB-defend or even Limited CB-Defend if they have poor passing and mental stats.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I find a 4231 to be really really hard to make work properly in FM16 without really good players. If you're determined to use it, I'd give the players roles that use less creative freedoms, change the Trequartista to AM-S, CWB to WB, BPD to CD, and maybe turn the roaming playmaker into a more defensive midfielder. All the individual instructions are basically what I use, although without the 'get stuck in' because half my DMs have that as a PPM and just get sent off if I tell them to go in any harder than normal.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Change your WBs to FB-support and central defenders to CB-defend or even Limited CB-Defend if they have poor passing and mental stats.
I did this and i got opened up and lost 4 matches in a row 2-1, 2-0, 1-0,0-0,3-1 and idk what the gently caress to mostly bottom half teams....I thought i'd be more stout but good lord, what the gently caress. I kept the same creative midfield roles though and the CF....

e: whats a good 4-3-3 tactic look like that can play in the championmship and prem?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I use either

code:
       CF-A
  IF-A AM-S IF-A
    DLP-D BWM-S
FB-S CD-D CD-D FB-S
        SK-A
or

code:
       CF-A
  IF-A      IF-A
    AM-A DLP-S
       BWM-D
WB-A CD-D CD-D WB-A
       SK-A

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
In FM 2015 I've been playing weird three-CB back line formations for about ten seasons in the MLS. There's no such thing as good fullbacks at this level, or at least I've never seen an American with both 10+ in crossing, dribbling, marking, and tackling. I also change my formation yearly, just because.

Here's what I'm running in 2022 for both an MLS squad and the USMNT.

code:

AF-A  P-A
      AP-S
WM-S CM-D CM-S W-S

CD-D BPD-D CD-D
      GK-S

Sometimes I bump a striker back to create a ball winning defensive midfielder if I need more defense. Generally all my goals are scored by the wingers causing havoc or any of the three central mids doing some creative magicy stuff. And no, I rarely allow goals. Most of my budget is tied up in the best four central defenders and keeper in the league.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 4, 2016

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Waroduce posted:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-16-tactics/358219-bluths-16-3-tweak.html

as Blackburn Rovers, not arsenal, in my second season. I'm having trouble filling the tequestra and CF role.

I signed some old striker from the prem and I have a nice American regen striker who looks like a wonderkid but both are poo poo CF's.

I'm also not sure if having attacking wingbacks is too attacking. I have alot of 3-2,3-3 score lines but i don't know how to ensure my wingers pick up any attacking slack

i also don't know poo poo about football tactics so i am scared to change anything as i dont know how to balance any changes.

I have great wingers, as I got Josh Murphy, Alejandro Bedoya (who is great in either central roles and a decent poor mans tequestra), and Ben Marshall so I'm interested in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1 with wide wingers

anyone have anything?

A 4-4-1-1 can play similarly to a 4-2-3-1 if you encourage the wingers to get further forward, but a little more stable defensively.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Are you all using different tactics when you're away? I wanted to go with a deeper 4312 or 442 and counter but I can't seem to make either work.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Speaking of previous versions of FM. I have FM11, 12, 13, 14 and I'm too cheap to buy the latest, which is the best version to play while I remain a cheap rear end.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Cool.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

im gay posted:

Speaking of previous versions of FM. I have FM11, 12, 13, 14 and I'm too cheap to buy the latest, which is the best version to play while I remain a cheap rear end.

Always play the latest you have. Each new game adds problems but is ultimately a small step forward. Going back is impossible.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

anyone have anything?

If you don't understand football tactics, downloading a ridiculously over-complicated powergaming tactic with no resemblance to real life football is a poor starting point.

The 4-2-3-1 with three players in the AM line is not something that is used in real life except in exceptional circumstances, when teams are desperate to score and usually hoofing long balls upfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

A 4-4-1-1 can play similarly to a 4-2-3-1 if you encourage the wingers to get further forward, but a little more stable defensively.

A 4-4-1-1 with the same roles and duties plays almost identically going forward, and actually functions defensively. In FM terms it's what 90% of British teams currently play.