Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Junpei also kindof mind controlled Akane at the end of 999. It's not that much of a stretch to say that the field can be used to control people (especially given the transmitter/receiver metaphor they keep mentioning) but there probably should've been other examples of it in the series.

I find the fact that team Q had an old man in a wheelchair following them around all the time to be a bigger issue but hey.

in 999 it was more telepathy and less mind control that was being tested

AlternateNu posted:

That's what is says, though. I'd like to know what machinations old Phi had to go through to convince her research facility/child protective services/etc. to allow her to raise baby Phi after she was already in triple digits.

Honestly, finishing this game has made me even more excited for Steins;Gate Zero. :woop:

"I'll raise her like if she was myself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I need a good ZTD image/quote for my new avatar.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I need a good ZTD image/quote for my new avatar.

we could just get you a picture of Akane and keep the same title

Jintor
May 19, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

That's what is says, though. I'd like to know what machinations old Phi had to go through to convince her research facility/child protective services/etc. to allow her to raise baby Phi after she was already in triple digits.

Completely random, but finishing this game has made me even more excited for Steins;Gate Zero. :woop: I love me some time fuckery drama.

Given that that Old!Phi would've been a German-raised Dark Project Researcher who was probably brought back with the Allies after the War and was still active on the project in 2004, she was probably a secret black ops administrator by that point and could do whatever the gently caress she wanted

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

in 999 it was more telepathy and less mind control that was being tested

They specifically stated in 999 that mind control was the end goal of the original Nonary game. Specifically Ace wanted to use a group of projectors to influence and control the population at large.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly the more i think about the more i sour on ZTD. i still liked it overall but it's got a lot wrong with it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

They specifically stated in 999 that mind control was the end goal of the original Nonary game. Specifically Ace wanted to use a group of projectors to influence and control the population at large.

didn't ace just wanna see faces

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

didn't ace just wanna see faces

Okay, point. But the rest of them wanted world domination.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well wasn't Cradle Pharmaceuticals just one of the many corporations owned by Free the Soul? While Ace just wanted to see faces, I've no doubt that Delta was using the Nonary Game as an experiment to see if anyone else has the same mind hacking abilities as him.

Funnily enough, it also means Lord Gordain, who invented the Nonary Game was only a member of Free the Soul for about a year. He died in 1931 but Delta only founded Free the Soul in 1930.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't think too hard about 999's links with the rest of the series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah anything about free the soul in 999 is blatantly a retcon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Bahahaha. Don't know who gave me this version of red text, but I can't stop laughing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Bahahaha. Don't know who gave me this version of red text, but I can't stop laughing.

:tipshat:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I wouldn't think too hard about 999's links with the rest of the series.

Cake Attack posted:

yeah anything about free the soul in 999 is blatantly a retcon.

Well it's true that VLR and ZTD weren't planned but Cradle Pharmaceuticals links to Free the Soul aren't that farfetched considering the cultist like ceremonial robes that Snake ends up wearing so even if there were no sequels to 999 there still was some weird connection to a religious or cultist order that the player could infer.

It's just ZTD, really, where the links to 999 seem very shaky and it is largely because of Delta's existence. His existence kind of messes up VLR too and I do wonder if him being Brother was a rewrite later into development than the original intention. It just feels a bit sloppy and underbaked.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

lol

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Hah. Now I wish you could tell him to Google it as an actual response to that question.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

eric avatar owns

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Oh my

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's even a hint as to the true answer to the puzzle, that's a fantastic av

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

honestly the more i think about the more i sour on ZTD. i still liked it overall but it's got a lot wrong with it

I agree, the plot feels like a draft. I'm glad they're ending the series here because I don't think a fourth game could recover from it.

It would be cool if Uchikoshi came up with a new plot/game mechanic if he makes another game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

"Dio will be in [ZTD], just not as the man we know"

Still want an explanation for this, Uchikoshi.

Unless at the Q/A he's just going to throw out "...Oh yeah, and Carlos is Left"

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Doesn't every Q&A thing he does have a disclaimer which is like "Stuff is subject to change"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

"Dio will be in [ZTD], just not as the man we know"

Still want an explanation for this, Uchikoshi.

Unless at the Q/A he's just going to throw out "...Oh yeah, and Carlos is Left"

Honestly if he doesn't handwave it away or own up that he forgot, I wouldn't be surprised if he says that Sean is Left, since he seems like the one person that Delta cared about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually care about the hanging plot threads from VLR

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I just want to point out that the Sigma strapped into a chair with a gun pointed at him scene was way lamer than I had hoped. The concept art for it was great.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I just want to point out that the Sigma strapped into a chair with a gun pointed at him scene was way lamer than I had hoped. The concept art for it was great.

they kind of ruined it for me by making it the press demo

the actual scene I thought was tense as balls, but the concept art was so much cooler than even that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

His plans probably just changed. It's not like we were ever promised more Dio in-game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

delta mentions he had an adopted younger brother in one scene, as a quick acknowledgement of the whole Left thing, but it's never really expanded on

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I finished this game a while ago and I never actually realised that Delta was with Q team the whole time. I thought he just happened to show up during the explanation of who he was.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Meiteron posted:

Where I thought this was going was that the overall direction of the game was going to make BW and by extension the player themselves the actual antagonist driving the plot. How, why, I didn't know yet, but previous games had tackled crazy enough concepts that I figured they'd be able to make it workable if that's where they're going. Turns out that wasn't where they're going and it was just mind control. I mean, okay, but that's still a bit of a letdown, personally.

Frankly, I thought that's exactly what it was. You are Zero. You are playing through Zero's eyes (the cameras), take control of the other characters at key moments, and the ultimate idea of the ending is that you brute-force achieved a happy ending by torturing/murdering countless alternate timelines. Which they go out of their way to emphasize probably counts as actual murder. This was supposed to be morally ambiguous, which is why he gives Carlos the gun at the end (and this is the only choice in the game that you/Zero cannot change the outcome of).

I mean, yeah, the story is muddled by making Delta into an actual character with his own separate personality and motives, so I can't say it's as great as it should have been, but I still think it was definitely the intention to have the player identify with the antagonist.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
What other games would you recommend if you I enjoyed the Zero Escape series? I'm guessing Danganronpa?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Danganronpa is a solid series but it's not quite the same genre as the Zero Escape series. It's very linear and isn't quite as complex. I mean if you like puzzle/murder mystery solving it's a good choice, but if you want a game to confuse you with how the plot is interwoven or with quantum mechanics you'd be looking in the wrong place.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Clarste posted:

Frankly, I thought that's exactly what it was. You are Zero. You are playing through Zero's eyes (the cameras), take control of the other characters at key moments, and the ultimate idea of the ending is that you brute-force achieved a happy ending by torturing/murdering countless alternate timelines. Which they go out of their way to emphasize probably counts as actual murder. This was supposed to be morally ambiguous, which is why he gives Carlos the gun at the end (and this is the only choice in the game that you/Zero cannot change the outcome of).

I mean, yeah, the story is muddled by making Delta into an actual character with his own separate personality and motives, so I can't say it's as great as it should have been, but I still think it was definitely the intention to have the player identify with the antagonist.

Zero is a pile of melted meat in roughly 1/4 of the game you play.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bland posted:

Zero is a pile of melted meat in roughly 1/4 of the game you play.

Well, obviously he's not literally you since the final decision you make is directly over his dead body, but you definitely identified with him through most of the story. His goals were your goals, and his methods were your methods. (Also he would have been a headless corpse, not a pile of melted meat).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If old Phi from 1904 jumped into young Phi in 2074, would she speak with a German accent?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

If old Phi from 1904 jumped into young Phi in 2074, would she speak with a German accent?
Yes.

The whole game hinges on the "relay model" of human consciousness, or else the consciousness jump wouldn't work because the brain would be too different. You wouldn't be able to actually retain anything of the jumped consciousness, because none of the neural pathways that correspond to your memories or acquired skills past the point you jumped to wouldn't exist in the brain of the person you're jumping to.

But if the brain is just a relay, then you can jump fine because the relay shouldn't actually change. That means that you retain all the acquired skills you gained, including how to speak. But since old Phi's native language is German, that means she's going to speak with a German accent in English.

On the other hand, if you jump to where the relay is damaged, you would experience the effects of that damage in executing commands. If young person jumped into themselves at age 80 with Alzheimer's, they'd experience its effects because Alzheimer's seems to be caused by misfolded protein buildup in the brain.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 4, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think the game ever demonstrated whether it's possible to jump into your transporter clone or whether it's considered a different person, so she might not even be able to.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NRVNQSR posted:

I don't think the game ever demonstrated whether it's possible to jump into your transporter clone or whether it's considered a different person, so she might not even be able to.

Didn't they mention (or at least imply) in VLR that Kyle was kind of a back-up body for Sigma to jump into if he need more time to complete the project than what his current body could provide?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MegaZeroX posted:

I mean, VLR doesn't have an in universe explanation for why the screenshots of Sigma are all off. Not showing Signma is entirely for twists sake. There is also no way to even begin guessing the twist.

I'd imagine Delta and Gab are tied up, as Delta doesn't want to have leave with everyone. He doesn't want to be lonely, so he keeps Gab.

I think the "Sigma is old!" twist is more clever than the "Zero was off-screen/the camera the whole time!" because it takes advantage of the first-person nature of VN mechanics in a subtle way and also that the player never questions why they never see their own protagonist's face in-game despite it being nearly the first thing you do in 999.

The former is "holy poo poo, I never thought to check for that! :aaaaa:", the latter is just "well, yeah, why would I ever think of that? :confused:" which feels cheaper and falls flatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gotta say delta's ballsy though. He implements a system that can kill him and just accepts it. He could easily avoid the execution but dons the collar anyway.

• Locked thread