Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Past two games.

Illios: Had a Mei was yelling at everyone to get onto the point while she kept using ice walls to block her team from getting to the point. MIGHT have been a troll.

King's Row: On Defense during setup. Two players arguing over who get's to be 76 and neither of them wanna be a tank. "I'm a higher level" "But I'm a higher rank." And then start arguing over play time. I quit right then and there because gently caress you if i'm gonna sit through that. I will gladly eat what ever penalty I get for it.

Edit: I understand that the Team balance suggestions are just that and that victory isn't impossible if you follow it 100%. But HOLY poo poo! Some people HAVE to use the same class every time. If people are fighting over a character, please be the bigger persona nd roll something else. Something your team needs.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://gfycat.com/AnnualDistinctFox

When it rains it pours, except when it doesn't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I played Soldier 76 for the majority of my time, but have been trying to branch out because I don't want to be one of those people with dozens of hours on one character and less than an hour on every other. I did finally play against a career Genji who was actually good, which was weird. Once in a while when I play with an insta-lock Genji, I'll look them up afterward and see the same 1,000:1 ratio of hours I usually see, with a sub-40% win:loss record.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: I understand that the Team balance suggestions are just that and that victory isn't impossible if you follow it 100%. But HOLY poo poo! Some people HAVE to use the same class every time. If people are fighting over a character, please be the bigger persona nd roll something else. Something your team needs.

The team balance suggestions really need to be changed. No sniper and no builder is worthless. We don't NEED either of those, and most of the time the snipers are useless anyway. I also think the no tank suggestion isn't that helpful either. You probably want a tank, but there's plenty of situations where you don't. I think "low team damage" is a much better suggestion than the "few defense" or "few offense" suggestions. I think the only suggestion that is 100% important is the "no support" suggestion, but of course that's hindered by Symmetra being on support instead of defense for some insane reason

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I played Soldier 76 for the majority of my time, but have been trying to branch out because I don't want to be one of those people with dozens of hours on one character and less than an hour on every other. I did finally play against a career Genji who was actually good, which was weird. Once in a while when I play with an insta-lock Genji, I'll look them up afterward and see the same 1,000:1 ratio of hours I usually see, with a sub-40% win:loss record.

Last night I had a terrible Genji on my team that was level 300+ and when I looked at his stats expecting to see what you describe his Genji time was actually... 12 minutes.

115 hours on Lucio though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My pick is not up for vote, I'll do what I feel is best/what I feel like playing thanks for your concern/accusations of trolling. I may think Mercy would be best but I sure as gently caress I am not picking her. (unless I feel like it)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Apparently the best way to Scatter Arrow is to treat it like a splash rocket in other FPS games and aim at someone's feat, whereupon every splinter hits their body at once.

o I know, it's just that sometimes it doesn't kill people anyway. the scatter's a little random I suppose. not a big deal really

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

o I know, it's just that sometimes it doesn't kill people anyway. the scatter's a little random I suppose. not a big deal really

Yeah if you're hitting a little ahead or behind of someone it makes a huge difference. Gotta ain square between the feet to blast their nutsack/labia/robo bits right off.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So which twitch streamer decided double reinhardt and a Bastion should be a comp?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So has anyone (e: with a job) even come close to being able to buy a golden gun? 300 points, given an avg 50/50 winrate is 600 games and since comp matches take a lot longer to count as a win (playing both a/d + repeats + sudden death or best of 5), it seems like it'll take an insane load of time to even get one. I suppose there's still a month to go but god drat.

Or maybe I just wish I was 15 again :(

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

So has anyone (e: with a job) even come close to being able to buy a golden gun? 300 points, given an avg 50/50 winrate is 600 games and since comp matches take a lot longer to count as a win (playing both a/d + repeats + sudden death or best of 5), it seems like it'll take an insane load of time to even get one. I suppose there's still a month to go but god drat.

Yeah, the amount of extra play time per match on competitive is really going to make 300 wins take a drat long time.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

Xaris posted:

I don't think comp adheres to the 50/50 rule because I'm at 33% so far.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Macaluso posted:

The best character in the game is Junkrat you loving imbeciles

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah if you're hitting a little ahead or behind of someone it makes a huge difference. Gotta ain square between the feet to blast their nutsack/labia/robo bits right off.

I love the WTF where he kills all the people in the base just as the door opens using the scatter arrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s17hPnavLUI&t=119s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FatSamurai posted:

I don't think comp adheres to the 50/50 rule because I'm at 33% so far.

well I'd hope not since it's supposed to just get harder the further up you go

my win percentage is in the low 40s atm and I don't expect it to do much climbing if I'm being honest

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Elblanco posted:

So, I'd love to give Overwatch a try, but my laptop isn't to great. Though I just need a new graphics card to meet the minimum requirement. Does anyone have an idea of if it'll run alright at minimum, or will it run like rear end and make the game not worth it? I'm a little wary about spending $40 on it if I have to drop a few hundred bucks on a top of the line graphics card, I just need something better than the stock card I have now.
I have an ultrabook with no dedicated graphics and not much else spec-wise, and I can play fine, albeit on medium-low settings.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Another game with a leaver, followed by a 30 minute game where we kept exchanging 2 - 2 volskaya victories until I changed to Reaper to help shred their tank rush strat to bring me right back where I started.

I'm about done with this poo poo.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Xaris posted:

Tigole posted:

Re: Golden Guns... They are kind of expensive. But remember, at the end of a season players will get a lump sum of Competitive Points. The 1 point per win is not how we expect you to be earning these guns. Currently, this is tuned so that the top players should outright get a golden gun at the end of the season while the rest of us might work our way part of the way there.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745774574#post-6

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

"Tigole", as in "Tigole Bitties", as in Jeff "Tigole Bitties" Kaplan, the man behind Overwatch Sudden Death©.

Tigole Bitties

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I ran into some dude named tigolebittie last night who was angrily calling everyone on his team a human being. Kaplan's personal battle.net account spotted.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
Whenever he teleports I can't not hear "Reapersitioning!"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BigRed0427 posted:

King's Row: On Defense during setup. Two players arguing over who get's to be 76 and neither of them wanna be a tank. "I'm a higher level" "But I'm a higher rank." And then start arguing over play time. I quit right then and there because gently caress you if i'm gonna sit through that. I will gladly eat what ever penalty I get for it.

This would have been a perfect time to choose a soldier: "No, we are all the soldiers now!"

Bonus points, if you're crap with him.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
I got ALL the kills

Never seen over 100%

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wait, so it's tuned to take the average player multiple seasons per gun?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

What, you thought Blizzard made casual games? :mmmsmug:

But yeah that's pretty much the nail in the coffin of anyone who isn't in the top 10% of players giving a flying gently caress about Competitive.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Papercut posted:

Wait, so it's tuned to take the average player multiple seasons per gun?

one one hand its annyoing for people who like to collect stuff but on the other hand its just lovely bling that looks bad on almost all characters and skins

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Asimo posted:

But yeah that's pretty much the nail in the coffin of anyone who isn't in the top 10% of players giving a flying gently caress about Competitive.

don't underestimate the stubbornness of idiots who overestimate their skill level

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well a fair bit of hyperbole was implied yes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the average person will probably get like 1 golden gun per season

you have over a month to get as many wins as you can before the bonus you get at the end

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Vildiil posted:

I got ALL the kills

Never seen over 100%
Must have killed yourself too. :P

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I got my Lucio Win% up to 67 and was pretty happy with that. Since then I've won maybe one game in four or five. I usually solo queue and the teams it's been giving me... Reapers standing on rooftops far away from the objective, shooting down at people with their short range shotguns for the whole match, Reinhardts who consistently charge off cliffs 3, 4 times a match, and who don't seem to know what their shield is. And so, so many Hanzos and Genjis, not the effective ones, either.

I'm not claiming I'm amazing, far from it. But this is getting really painful, to the point that it's putting me off the game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the average person will probably get like 1 golden gun per season

you have over a month to get as many wins as you can before the bonus you get at the end
Except Kaplan just said that anyone except the "top players" might get enough for a single gun, and everyone else would be "part of the way there". So... a 100-200 point bonus? Which means at least 200-400 games to get the wins needed to make up the difference, and let's be honest it's probably going to be more unless you're above average player (in a literal mathematic sense) or in a premade, with matches that take twice as long as quick play games. And that's for one weapon skin for one character out of, what, 21 total? Blizzard could literally give one away every season and they'd have five loving years to make new skins for the next round of prizes.

That isn't a realistic reward or incentive for the average player, it's a grind that would make your average kMMO player think twice. Which is fine, I guess, since Blizzard isn't shy about wanting them to be for the special elite folks. But it's silly for them to try to pretend that normal players could get them in any reasonable timeframe too by participating. :shrug:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, it doesn't reward quality of play, it purely rewards quantity of play (Oh, Blizzard making a treadmill? WELL I loving NEVER.) purely because of Matchmaking; It's not like if you're better you're going to have a high winning percentage, because by definition they'll be putting you against other people who are better too - So if working as intended, everyone (but the real outliers) will have ~50%, which means everyone will earn the rewards at the same rate.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play with my girlfriend and she's terrible, which means I end up in hell tier MMR a lot when we play together, so I try to keep it to quickplay. With that said, good lord stay out of the >40 bracket. Only pain awaits you there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Asimo posted:

Except Kaplan just said that anyone except the "top players" might get enough for a single gun, and everyone else would be "part of the way there". So... a 100-200 point bonus? Which means at least 200-400 games to get the wins needed to make up the difference, and let's be honest it's probably going to be more unless you're above average player (in a literal mathematic sense) or in a premade, with matches that take twice as long as quick play games. And that's for one weapon skin for one character out of, what, 21 total? Blizzard could literally give one away every season and they'd have five loving years to make new skins for the next round of prizes.

That isn't a realistic reward or incentive for the average player, it's a grind that would make your average kMMO player think twice. Which is fine, I guess, since Blizzard isn't shy about wanting them to be for the special elite folks. But it's silly for them to try to pretend that normal players could get them in any reasonable timeframe too by participating. :shrug:

I have over 300 wins in quick play and the game hasn't even been out a month. even if I'm not winning most of my comp games (and I'm not), getting 200+ wins before the end of this season won't be some far-fetched dream that nobody can aspire to. golden guns cost 300 whatever that currency is called and you get 1 per win (you don't lose any when you lose either)

getting a gun isn't gonna be hard. you're just not gonna earn more than like one per season, and probably not before the bonuses at the end unless you're playing for hours every day in the competitive mode. if you think that the fact that it's more of a timesink than a test of skill is a problem, well, that's a different matter entirely. but it's pretty clear that the golden guns are supposed to be viewed as a reward and not something that everyone is running around with by the end of the week. if you see a guy with one soon, you'll know that he and his group are gonna be a problem for you right out the gate

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Looking at Masteroverwatch, the nerd with the highest amount of comp wins so far seems to have 137 wins.

Yesterday I felt a bit sorry at a player who was level 421 with a rank of 30 but apparently he dug himself (partly) out of that hole in a day or so to level 436 with rank 38.

Also, let me present you the Soldier76 with a K:D ratio of 158:1 and a win rate of 28%:
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/BIZaGoten-2818

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 4, 2016

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I have no idea what to do against a double reaper in KOTH map.

I can try to pick them off from range, but at the end of the day, they has terrain and he is on the point. When a tank walks in, they get mauled by shotguns. This is all ignoring the fact that they can stagger ults.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Also, there is very little that is more rage inducing that 2 people dying on payload, with < 20m to go at 30 seconds left in match and the mercy refuses to ult. Instead she opts to hold her ult and die 10 seconds later.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I dont care enough about this game to do the competitive mode poo poo but from what I'm reading the ranks are literally based purely on win/loss? Is that for real. Lol blizzard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I dont care enough about this game to do the competitive mode poo poo but from what I'm reading the ranks are literally based purely on win/loss? Is that for real. Lol blizzard

Win/loss determines whether you rank goes up or down, presumably individual performance determines by how much but I've yet to see conclusive evidence of that. Also a loss drops your rank way more than a win raises it. poo poo's hosed.