Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i wanna do it and do a draft and give me first pick pls ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ok, I'm going to run a little fantasy battlebot league in here for 8-10 players.

We've got two draft options, we could do the standard random draw and ladder pick thing*, but that strikes me as a bit boring, so I've also devised a second method where each round every player selects a bot in secret but if two or players select the same bot none of them get it and it's still available for picking the next round. It's fair though, promise.

If you want to play fantasy battlebots, quote this post, tell me if you have private messages and whether you want to do a ladder pick or a secret draft. Who knows, if enough people sign up we could do both.

Your signup will look like this:

* I'm getting some conflicting info on if the thing I'm thinking of is a ladder draft or a snake draft, but it's the one where a random order is established and then the picks are made in that order in the first round, and in reverse order in the second round.

I'm interested in this. I've got PMs and I'm just gonna go with Secret Draft because the other method might take too long since you'd have to wait for each person to send in their pick before the next person can choose and we only have until Thursday to get this started.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

I'm interested in this. I've got PMs and I'm just gonna go with Secret Draft because the other method might take too long since you'd have to wait for each person to send in their pick before the next person can choose and we only have until Thursday to get this started.

For the length, I 'm going to make people to ordered lists if they can't be present at draft time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

And purely ornamental flying flamethrowers.

I'm glad they got rid of the weight classes. Now that I've seen it without them, I wonder why they ever had them in the first place.

I wouldnt mid seeing middle weight return, that was always a great combo of weapons and no armor.

Aphrodite posted:

The robot used to have a lovely grappling hook on a string under there, so this is actually a major improvement.

Despite that its lifetime record was actually 8-7 through the original Battlebots run.
in the original series, a bot that could control a fight and force enemies into hazards were effective, especially in the lightweight class.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think your best bet would be to run a pickem-style fantasy game, where each participant makes predictions for each match and scores points based on the result. Fantasy drafts make more sense when you can have a system that scores points and there isn't a single elimination.

So each round have the participants predict the winner and style of victory (knockout or judges decision). Players get one point for calling the winner and another point for calling the style of victory.

So if I see a match with Tombstone and say "Tombstone by a knockout" then if Tombstone wins I get a point. If Tombstone knocks the opponent out I get two points. If Tombstone loses I get no points.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

If you want to play fantasy battlebots, quote this post, tell me if you have private messages and whether you want to do a ladder pick or a secret draft. Who knows, if enough people sign up we could do both.

I want to play. I have plat, I'm not a filthy poor. Ladder/Snake draft sounds fun, lets do that.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
and yea you should just have people send u pms or post predicted wins for each battle possibly w/ bonus questions each round such as "for an extra 2 points, what bot will have the quickest ko" etc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ok, I'm going to run a little fantasy battlebot league in here for 8-10 players.

We've got two draft options, we could do the standard random draw and ladder pick thing*, but that strikes me as a bit boring, so I've also devised a second method where each round every player selects a bot in secret but if two or players select the same bot none of them get it and it's still available for picking the next round. It's fair though, promise.

Your signup will look like this:

* I'm getting some conflicting info on if the thing I'm thinking of is a ladder draft or a snake draft, but it's the one where a random order is established and then the picks are made in that order in the first round, and in reverse order in the second round.

I would like to play, I got plat, I like ladder draft

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dongsbot 9000 posted:

and yea you should just have people send u pms or post predicted wins for each battle possibly w/ bonus questions each round such as "for an extra 2 points, what bot will have the quickest ko" etc

Google Form would work for that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I was assuming brackets like with basketball. Not picks like football and baseball

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There is actually a site you can do that with already, I'll link that when I get home. But I thought it might be more fun if you had a little team to root for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

lol, she's like 30 years old! It's just a bot she made when she was a kid back when Battlebots was on originally and she just has kept the same basic design for some reason.

Oh poo poo, for real? Then that grown rear end woman needs to rethink her bot because dumping all those hours into what is essentially a can for any serious battlebot seems like a waste of effort. Unless she really enjoys the idea of somehow making it further into the tournament only to get that plastic swimming pool torn up by any halfway decent spinner or shredder.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its almost like she made the bot not to actually win but rather to pay tribute to the old bot of her's that made her popular

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Didn't she already do that in season 1?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Season one she just ran a really bad bot that sucked in an uninteresting fashion

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It does seem like Battlebots is trying to avoid having legions of the same bots. The problem is that with decades of progress the challenge of making a robot that can damage another robot while fighting on a flat plane of steel has largely been solved. It's still cool to see robots fight and throw sparks everywhere, but a lot of the cute designs lose out to the boring but effective ones.

On the fantasy side I think a simple bracket style game like March Madness would be viable.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On the fantasy side I think a simple bracket style game like March Madness would be viable.

http://challonge.com/bbseason2

That website has the bracket and you don't need an account to make a prediction. Feel free to share your predictions and compete against others with it. It's pretty nifty.

I can also do a pick em before each episode because why not, not much effort to just make a quick google form and tally the results.

The league draft thing is what I'm more genuinely excited for because I think it's more fun to try to pick and choose bots to form a team.

Fantasy Battlebots

Here's my playerlist:

SLICK GOKU BABY
PBS Newshour
DOOP
Pakled
dongsbot 9000

Also Guy Who PMed me wanting to play, can you post in this thread or pm me again because I accidentally deleted your message

if I missed somebody let me know.

We need one more player and then we can start, although I guess I can just be one of those players, running the game doesn't give me any kind of advantage. I think Monday night would be a good day to do the draft. I'm also going to post a list of the available bots in their seeded order so people can assemble a list if they won't be available monday

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ror posted:

The new projectiles rules are kind of weird but it will be interesting to see if anyone can do anything good with them in the future. You can use them untethered now but the effectiveness is super limited by other rules: no explosions (so air guns only), no entanglement devices left in the arena (I'm not entirely sure of the full implications but I think it rules out firing stuff like ball bearings or anything that can get caught in wheels), and no damage to arena floor or walls (so you have to rein in the power). That last part is the real killer, any gun with enough power to reliably punch through bot armor is going to be able to do some damage to those polycarbonate or whatever walls. Gold guns that shoot special effects are rad though.

I'm slightly disappointed by the Mobius loss only because making BattleBots professional wresting is great. There is a lot of useless air time between the bot explanations and the actual moment they start fighting but I'm much more inclined to watch it all if I can see something like Shredderator's team yelling about how America doesn't negotiate with necromancers. I guess it's hard to job well when thousands of dollars and hundreds of manhours are getting ripped apart in front of you. You could pinpoint the moment that Mobius' driver went from badass robot drivin' Rob Zombie to a schoolboy watching his bully stomp on his new toy truck.
You could probably do something with smoke pellets

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How will teams be scored?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

1 win = 1 point. I'll count any rumbles and exhibition matches for fun too.

If you can think of a more fun scoring method lemme know.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

1 win = 1 point. I'll count any rumbles and exhibition matches for fun too.

If you can think of a more fun scoring method lemme know.

Scoring based on dominance:

4 points for a <1 minute knockout.
3 points for a <2 minute knockout.
2 points for a knockout.
1 point for a win.

For rumbles, 1 point for every robot that dies before they do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'll join, I guess. I have PMs.

I also made a bracket with the top 4 seeds in the final 4
http://challonge.com/tournaments/2676760/predictions/89369

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 3, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2 points for a knockout.
1 point for a win.

I think that sort of thing would just increase the gap between the kinetic spinners that hit extremely hard and the other bots. Like as it is right now there are some really powerful top bots, but beyond the top 8 or so there are still some decent point scorers that would sort of be rendered moot if tombstone is picking up 4 points a match.

For rumbles, how about 1 point for each robot it personally kills, shared points for shared kills.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'll join, I guess. I have PMs.

I also made a bracket with the top 4 seeds in the final 4

:ssh: you linked the edit link for that prediction

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 3, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2 points for a knockout.
1 point for a win.

This wont really work since they like to do recaps of fights. Based on the schedule they put up, 4 fights will get the recap treatment on the 21st.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
3 points for a knockout, 2 points for a win by decision and 1 point for a loss by decision, imo

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

http://challonge.com/bbseason2

That website has the bracket and you don't need an account to make a prediction. Feel free to share your predictions and compete against others with it. It's pretty nifty.

I can also do a pick em before each episode because why not, not much effort to just make a quick google form and tally the results.

The league draft thing is what I'm more genuinely excited for because I think it's more fun to try to pick and choose bots to form a team.

Fantasy Battlebots

Here's my playerlist:

SLICK GOKU BABY
PBS Newshour
DOOP
Pakled
dongsbot 9000

Also Guy Who PMed me wanting to play, can you post in this thread or pm me again because I accidentally deleted your message

if I missed somebody let me know.

We need one more player and then we can start, although I guess I can just be one of those players, running the game doesn't give me any kind of advantage. I think Monday night would be a good day to do the draft. I'm also going to post a list of the available bots in their seeded order so people can assemble a list if they won't be available monday

That was me. I want in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JT Jag posted:

3 points for a knockout, 2 points for a win by decision and 1 point for a loss by decision, imo

This is good too.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright here are the players for the Robot Fantasy League:
  • SLICK GOKU BABY
  • PBS Newshour
  • DOOP
  • Pakled
  • dongsbot 9000
  • ToadStyle
  • Xelkelvos

Turns out I actually gave miscounted earlier so if any of you guys who are like, telling me what score system to use want to play, you still can. If not, no big deal, I'll just be the last player and I'll have fun.

Botlist
(this is the official seeding order)

Tombstone
Bronco
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Stinger
Son of Whyachi
Minotaur
Icewave
Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Ghost Raptor
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

We'll do a draft on monday at 9pm, Tuesday 9PM EST (I forgot about America) or another time if people protest. If you won't be around or just don't really want to show up order that list to your liking and send it my way I'll automatically pick down your list. When deciding which bots to pick, it might be a good idea to check out the bracket just check if you think a robot might be up against very tough or surprisingly easy matchup.

JT Jag posted:

I'm probably going to use this score system.

Anyway, sorry for constantly making GBS threads up this thread.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 3, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am up for the league.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

We'll do a draft on monday at 9pm, or another time if people protest. If you won't be around or just don't really want to show up order that list to your liking and send it my way I'll automatically pick down your list. When deciding which bots to pick, it might be a good idea to check out the bracket just check if you think a robot might be up against very tough or surprisingly easy matchup.

To be clear, what time zone is this? Eastern?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

To be clear, what time zone is this? Eastern?

Oh poo poo, my bad. Yeah I was thinking 9 EST. Lemme know if there are any issues.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am up for the league.

Cool.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My dream match is ED-209 vs Small Wonder Vicki.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nightmare vs Stinger is up. It's a raw edit with no commentary and the original sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jw9hyzkTks

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh poo poo, my bad. Yeah I was thinking 9 EST. Lemme know if there are any issues.

Cool.

How will the draft process occur and how long do you think it will take? I might have to start the draft and then send a list and leave halfway through. I have to work at 11 EST on Monday.

Although my guess is some others might have plans for the 4th?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How will the draft process occur and how long do you think it will take? I might have to start the draft and then send a list and leave halfway through. I have to work at 11 EST on Monday.
The process will basically just be I post the order draft order and the robots available and we cycle through in that order with me automatically selecting for anybody who sent in a list. I think it will take an hour, but I've scheduled 2 hours for myself because optimism is unprofessional.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Although my guess is some others might have plans for the 4th?

Oh my god, I forgot tomorrow was the 4th, since I'm not American. I think every year I accidentally put a deadline for a game I'm running on the 4th of July or the Superbowl. Let's do Tuesday 9 PM EST instead.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Let's do Tuesday 9 PM EST instead.

im good with this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DOOP posted:

im good with this

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Great Beer posted:

Nightmare vs Stinger is up. It's a raw edit with no commentary and the original sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jw9hyzkTks

Dat tire squeal. Looks like they're slowly uploading the other matches, here's SawBlaze vs Razorback

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

halokiller posted:

Looks like they're slowly uploading the other matches, here's SawBlaze vs Razorback
Wow, that might have been a worse judges' decision than Chomp/Disko, but SawBlaze's primary weapon looked like poo poo, and the wedge driving didn't exploit the hazards enough, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Coaaab posted:

Wow, that might have been a worse judges' decision than Chomp/Disko, but SawBlaze's primary weapon looked like poo poo, and the wedge driving didn't exploit the hazards enough, I guess.

Its not just that. They no longer consider using a wedge to count towards Aggression points. You have to be using your primary weapon. So although sawblaze won on control and strategy, Razorback took the damage (for its paint scratching) and aggression points (for constantly shoving its weapon into the opponent) which gave it the win. Any other season or event Sawblaze would have won, even with its stupid useless weapon that didnt work. This is also how Disko Inferno lost. The spinner was considered a primary weapon so when it broke they were no longer able to score aggression points.

• Locked thread