Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Is there any sort of goon presence on the Xbone version? I got it there since my real life friends were complaining I always gamed on PC, then promptly abandoned me for The Division a week later. I'm lost and lonely and have crappy armor :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Pez posted:

Is there any sort of goon presence on the Xbone version? I got it there since my real life friends were complaining I always gamed on PC, then promptly abandoned me for The Division a week later. I'm lost and lonely and have crappy armor :(

Join us on PC. We're awesomer.

Side note. For anyone that uses HarvestMap, I JUST found out about this site: which will merge your LUA files. The post I got it from says "There should be a link to an outside website that merges all user files into one continually updated "master file" of sorts.

Here's the website. You'll need to submit your own files first (even if they're empty). You may need to log into game first to ensure they get created. Then the website will create a merged master file for you." But I don't know that it does actually auto update? Either way. More infos.
http://www.teso-harvest-merge.de/

Bonapartisan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 2, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

i am tim! posted:

Hey, I got this game a while back while it was on sale but I haven't gotten around to playing it until now. Sounds like I'm good to be pretty varied in how I set my character up, but I did just wanna ask if I would be loving myself over by using a two handed weapon as a Nightblade? It sounds like I won't be, but usually MMO's have some weird, obscure mechanics that could screw me over.

I'd say every PvE stamina build should have a two-hander in it (mine all have two). All five of the skills are useful: Critical Rush and Brawler make leveling pretty trivial, Wrecking Blow and Executioner are the best direct damage single-target dps, and Rally is the only stamina-based emergency heal.

That said, don't worry about making the wrong build choices, reassigning your skill or attribute points is cheap and can be done any time in the capital city of your faction's second zone.

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

Lookin' for a guild invite as @Coeus42, game seems to have improved a lot since playing the beta.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Just in case anyone has it seen the July 1st Crown Store Preview Showcase, the following stuff is going away on August 1st.

Costumes
    Desert Garden Gala Overdress
    Priest of the Green
    Song of the Night Ensemble
    Toxin Doctor
    Treasure Hunter
    Treethane Ceremonial Dress
    Tribal Shamans Pack
    Winterborn Reach Costume Pack
    Winter Scouts Pack

Mounts
    Banded Guar Charger

Pets
    Baby Netch
    Banekin
    Blue Nixad
    Blue Oasis Frog
    Bravil Retriever
    Sanguine's Black Goat
    Windhelm Wolfhound

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Think I'm getting to the end of the Rift zone now. When I complete the main quest do I just get plopped into one of the other faction's territories and given a slap on the bum to complete their content, or is it a little more organic?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

You complete Coldharbor first.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

Should I play this game or should I play FFXIV? I just stopped playing a private wow server and I like raiding/dungeons/crafting and, to a degree, some PVP (I like large-scale stuff like battlegrounds/Wintergrasp more than 1v1/2v2/5v5).

FFXIV if you miss WoW, ESO if you don't. About 49 people care about ffxiv pvp though

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Blowdryer posted:

Should I play this game or should I play FFXIV? I just stopped playing a private wow server and I like raiding/dungeons/crafting and, to a degree, some PVP (I like large-scale stuff like battlegrounds/Wintergrasp more than 1v1/2v2/5v5).

You should probably play this then. Crafting system is incredibly robust in ESO, and you can thank a Goon for that (Doomfunk is the goon dev who lurks here, and is also responsible for pretty much every crafting system in the game :buddy:)

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I got it and I've been loving the poo poo out of it. The quests are so good and the story is interesting even though I skip through a lot of quest text. Any goons on the EU server?

I typically like to do professions once I hit max level in games, do you guys think this makes sense? It seems like there are so many drat things I can do that it'll take forever to get them done.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Blowdryer posted:

I typically like to do professions once I hit max level in games, do you guys think this makes sense? It seems like there are so many drat things I can do that it'll take forever to get them done.

Most of the crafting skills are designed to level up with you. I wouldn't dump all of your skill points into the crafting lines on your first/main character or stress about the daily crafting quests, but it's pretty easy to keep up with a lot of the crafting by following two simple rules.

1. Never sell armor weapons that don't give the 280% merchant price bonus; instead, deconstruct them. This helps build levels in the crafting tree, and as long as you're not rushing through the zones you should keep pace with where you're expected to be (i.e. able to craft armor/weapons comparable to what you're getting in drops).

2. Drop a skill point in the main passive for each skill line each time you move to a new zone. That lets you craft with the new materials you're going to see in that zone.

Then just craft new weapons/armor for yourself as needed (say, if your current weapon/armor is more than five levels below your level). The only two lines this ignores is Provisioning and Alchemy. That way, you're not starting from scratch at end game, you can use the crafting as you need to on the way up, and you're not dumping tons of skill points into the other passives in the tree. This is how I usually level my characters, and it's always seemed to keep me in line with the level I'm at without feeling like it's a drag on my time or skill points.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Last time I played was shortly after it went f2p but I forgot how good the pve stuff is. Actually quests to go do cool things instead of collecting bear asses.

I don't really like any of the classes, but it helps that you can build them pretty much any way you like.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I used it, and presumably the guy who first mentioned it did as well. Worked fine for me.

I've been using it to stock up on ESOPlus+3000 crowns for like a year now whenever I get the urge to play, I always got my code in under 5 minutes no problem. Used PayPal.

Sure, they're not an authorized retailer but what right does a publisher have to tell consumers "you can only buy from this approved list of vendors"?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 4, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
And I mean, lets be honest here. MMO devs don't particularly care when people buy stuff like this for their games. People buying this stuff just means that people are still playing their game, which is what counts. There's a reason stuff like gold sales for WoW continue unabated; because no one ever gets punished or "caught" for doing so.

Hell, gold sales started being this whole underhanded thing where you had to meet the gold-seller at some godawful hour in the rear end-end of the game world, because people thought you had to be sneaky about it not to get caught. Now they know better, and if you buy gold they just send it to you through the in-game mail system or auction house, because Blizz just don't give a drat.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Well this is different from gold sellers because Zenimax are getting sales from these keys. Sure, they might be taking advantage of regional pricing somewhere, but they have the ability to lock down those keys if they wanted to. Fortunately, they acknowledge that's a bad idea because these sales are likely coming from people who wouldn't pay triple the costs. I certainly wouldn't. In my case, it's actually keeping me around because otherwise I'd pay $15 to consume the DLC content within a week or two and cancel.

Assuming the keys aren't stolen (which isn't likely at all, there has only been a couple isolated incidents outside of the shady as gently caress sites like G2A/Kinguin), I don't see the harm.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Decided to try this, @Rask60 if I could get an invite

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

is esohead abandoned?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And I mean, lets be honest here. MMO devs don't particularly care when people buy stuff like this for their games. People buying this stuff just means that people are still playing their game, which is what counts. There's a reason stuff like gold sales for WoW continue unabated; because no one ever gets punished or "caught" for doing so.

Hell, gold sales started being this whole underhanded thing where you had to meet the gold-seller at some godawful hour in the rear end-end of the game world, because people thought you had to be sneaky about it not to get caught. Now they know better, and if you buy gold they just send it to you through the in-game mail system or auction house, because Blizz just don't give a drat.

FFXIV hands out permabans for people caught advertising and selling gold and I think week long bans for people buying it. It happens weekly and they post the stats on the client.

EVE has had some pretty massive lashbacks at people that have gotten caught buying ISK outside of the approved plex market. Like the person isn't particularly punished in any direct way, other than removing all the money they've bought from their wallets. Problem is that a lot of that money would already be gone, destroyed through in game means or whatever. So the person ends up with a massive negative balance on their wallet that they have to pay off. Without a real way of paying it off and already feeling the sting of the whipping they decide to pay off their balance by using the in game plex market. If the dude was a big enough whale it can cause a massive deflation of plexes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Interesting, I didn't know that about FFXIV. That's really the first MMO I've heard that punished people at all for it.

EVE is sort of weird beast though, so I can understand it there. Don't large sums of actual money change hands in that game, for the crazies that want massive ships or to trade territory?

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
I was up, unable to sleep last night because I live on a cul de sac and they were setting off fireworks until I don't know 3am. I wrote some stuff, I hope some of it is useful?

New Players should know:

Get MINION addon manager http://minion.mmoui.com/

ESO+ (Subscription) will give you
a crafting bag!!!! The crafting bag will store all your harvested items (mats) so they don't take up your actual bag space.
access to all DLC for the duration of your subscription (if you unsub you lose it, UNLESS you have paid for the DLC via crowns)
10% bonus to XP, gold gain, research and inspiration
Crown allotment (based on your sub type 30day/1500 crowns 90day/4500 180day/9000)

Imperial Edition will give you a mount, and this is usable with all your characters. It will also let you play as an Imperial (any faction).
You can upgrade to this through the crown store too.

Once you get a mount, remember to "train" it at a stablemaster (horse head icon on your minimap). Speed, stamina, inventory. Each have a max of 60 "trains". You can buy upgrades to this with crowns as well instead of spending gold.

You can buy bank(max 240 slots total: 768,500g)) and inventory space(5 upgrades total) upgrades with gold or crowns. Bank upgrades are available at the banker, inventory upgrades are a little trickier, but are usually a merchant with a ton of empty backpacks around them near the bank in a factions "main" town.

Join the Fighters Guild and Mage Guild ASAP. Why? Why not. You get credit from killing undead (Fighters Guild) and reading Lorebooks (Mages Guild) around the world toward the skill line, in addition to the quest for the two. Might as well start early. Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are DLC, and scale. You can start those anytime if you have the DLC/are ESO+.

Decon things, even if you aren't ready to craft. You gain skill from deconstructing things, as well as getting materials. In addition to this, get a research assistant addon that will help you know what items you want to keep to research. Start researching early. The time it takes to research something gets longer and longer. You may consider alts to hold items in their personal inventory if you decide to hoard research items.
Recommended addons include: CRAFTSTORE and its related hotfixes, RESEARCH ASSISTANT

Even if you don't use a skill, you can put it on your bar, and still gain (some) experience on it.

You can respec attributes and skills/morphs in major cities. Elden Root(Grahtwood), Wayrest(Stormhaven), Mournhold(Deshaan). You can also buy them via the crownstore. Once you gain champion points (after 50th) you can also pay to reset those.

There is no Auction House. There are Trade Guilds. Basically, any guild that wants a trader has to bid for it. You can be in up to five guilds, though. Guild Traders are in major cities as clusters and then scattered randomly near wayshrines (teleportation/fast travel) around the world)

When you hit 15th you get a secondary weapon bar you can then use to train another weapon, or the same weapon with different skills. (`)

When you hit 10th you can join PVP in Cyrodiil and die to the Zerg! You are scaled to 50! (L) -NOTE- As of this writing most goons have their HOME on Haderus and GUEST on Azura. Don't choose anything if you don't know what this means.

Recommended addons in general:

Skyshards
Lorebooks
Craftstore (and related hotfixes)
Research Assistant
Master Merchant
AWesome GuildStore
pChat
No, thank you!

Some addons I use that others may not:
Tamriel Trade Center -- this is a newer one, it works with Master Merchant, and has its own website. You can register on it (don't have to) but it runs a program and uploads data from Guild Traders to the website, which HAS A SEARCH FEATURE. Kind of handy.
Wykkyd Gaming Suite -- I don't use all the features, but I do use the toolbar, which displays research timers, horse timers, and various other info for me.
Undiscovered -- Undiscovered Locations on your map
Troublemaker -- /tm to turn on attacking innocents. Because I kept accidentally killing them when I left it on.
Treasuremaps -- Shows the locations of a treasure map if you have one.
Smarter Auto-Loot
AUI
Destinations
FTC
NoAccidentalStealing
PublicDungeonChampions

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

This guild trader system is absolutely bonkers. I remember when FFXIV originally launched and one of the most laughable aspects was the lack of global AH and instead there was the equivalent of guild traders stuffed into wards, requiring you to search through them all to find anything. ESO seems to have gone one step further, pushing 'bonkers' into the realm of 'what the actual gently caress were you thinking?', employing almost the same universally abhorred system, but then compounding the issue by spreading those vendors throughout the world. I just can't wrap my tiny mind around it and how it ever seemed like a good idea.

Other than that, the game is pretty fab so far. The main story is great. I just reached Coldharbour and am genuinely excited to see what happens next. And I know who you are, Groundskeeper.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Kettlepip posted:

This guild trader system is absolutely bonkers.

It's not as bad as it seems initially. You can get saved searches and text filtering with add-ons (such as AwesomeGuildStore), and there's really only a handful of zones with traders worth checking out.

Also there's the goon guild bank for your crafting needs, but that requires being on PC NA.

Bonapartisan posted:

Great stuff.

I would also add DressingRoom to this list. You can set up to eight separate gear and skill loadouts and switch between them with hotkeys. It's good for everyone, but it's especially good for tanks. Instead of trying to look awesome tanking a skeleton, you can wreck trash in your dps gear, then quickly push the "tank button" right before something difficult.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 4, 2016

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

tgidieday posted:

It's not as bad as it seems initially. You can get saved searches and text filtering with add-ons (such as AwesomeGuildStore), and there's really only a handful of zones with traders worth checking out.

I need an addon to be able to search and find player sold goods effectively and having traders in most places is pointless. Nope, that's not bonkers at all. :shrug:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Still better than an auction house where bots hoover up anything below a certain price threshold for gold farmers and market spergs to sell at 300% markup.

We had a shitposter in here who was all about the trading game on console (:lol:) but he vanished.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Kettlepip posted:

I need an addon to be able to search and find player sold goods effectively and having traders in most places is pointless. Nope, that's not bonkers at all. :shrug:

I didn't say it was good. Also, why does everyone want to trade under c160? Your time and energy is better spent killing stuff. Nobody wants your spidersilk.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France

Kettlepip posted:

http://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/

Tamriel Trade Center addon website. It's better than nothing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You know, I'm really digging on this game now. I played during beta, and was a hairs breadth away from buying it at the time, but backed out at the last minute. Time seems to have done the game good though, as I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I've only ever really spent a decent amount of time with two other MMO's; WoW of course, and Guild Wars 2. Everything else I've tried was quickly abandoned. ESO seems to be in my top 3 MMO's now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Add this to the OP please.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I like the clunkiness of the guild trader system. It prevents people (me) from cornering the market on something and causing massive inflation in the economy like you see in virtually every other MMO. It's the worst system except all the others sorta thing. An Integrated AH would tank the economy in no time.

Jesus Condumb
Oct 25, 2012
@Pez, I can help you out on Xbox msg me at Shameless711.

Im almost finished with my Magika Sorc tank...

I'll be wearing 5 Armor Master, 3 Alessia, 2 Endurance and 2 Willpower ... I'm aiming for 28/29K health, Resist, 30K Magika and 14-16k stamina. What would be better on the smaller pieces? Divines, infused ... what?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Something Awful Discord: https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

For More Info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I witnessed my first emote chat eRP session, but they stopped when they spotted me sneaking in the corner. They were all dark elves. Dark elves confirmed for degenerate race.

I tracked them to a local inn. They're sitting on each other now but one had to immediately disconnect because he got caught.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 5, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know one of you, Scyantific I think, keeps track of the hot buildz and PvP, so he or whoever knows, since this game has gotten super weird with its meta stam builds and stuff, is it possible to make a front line sorc that can still do the silly damage sorc combos or should I go barking up other trees for hanging out at the front of a zerg dishing out damage and still living?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

I know one of you, Scyantific I think, keeps track of the hot buildz and PvP, so he or whoever knows, since this game has gotten super weird with its meta stam builds and stuff, is it possible to make a front line sorc that can still do the silly damage sorc combos or should I go barking up other trees for hanging out at the front of a zerg dishing out damage and still living?

Check out either Fengrush or King Richard on YT, they're like the mega stam sorc sperglords of the month. I've been running my stamplar and healthplar and owning the poo poo out of people.

E: Alternatively, run a DK and cheese your way into keeps with crit charge or dragon leaps and take em without even sieging them down :laffo:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 5, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scyantific posted:

E: Alternatively, run a DK and cheese your way into keeps with crit charge or dragon leaps and take em without even sieging them down :laffo:

:frogon:

Also do you have one of every main stat of each class? How long does leveling take these days?

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 5, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

:frogon:

Also do you have one of every main stat of each class? How long does leveling take these days?

Basically, in an attempt to fix the issues with the Templar gap closer skill, Z maanged to screw it up on all of them and not add a height check to the skills. So if you position yourself just right near a keep, you can use a gap closer to climb the wall when targeting a defender.

In short, it's nearly impossible to tell if a keep is getting sieged until the flags flip if people use this poo poo.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

not add a height check

We were in Blackheart Haven where the harpies always get stuck above the treetops. Explosive charge lit up, so I pressed it, assuming it just wouldn't work. Instead, my tiny vamplar space jammed her way up to the canopy some 20 feet in the air, chaos dunked half of the harpies, and landed safely on the ground.

I hope they don't fix the harpies or the gap closers, I'm really looking forward to the next Blackheart pledge now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Basically, in an attempt to fix the issues with the Templar gap closer skill, Z maanged to screw it up on all of them and not add a height check to the skills. So if you position yourself just right near a keep, you can use a gap closer to climb the wall when targeting a defender.

In short, it's nearly impossible to tell if a keep is getting sieged until the flags flip if people use this poo poo.

Alright someone talked me into stam sorc so I could use a guild invite @OrvSA and if I could bum a spare set of training stuff off you that'd be awesome.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

tgidieday posted:

We were in Blackheart Haven where the harpies always get stuck above the treetops. Explosive charge lit up, so I pressed it, assuming it just wouldn't work. Instead, my tiny vamplar space jammed her way up to the canopy some 20 feet in the air, chaos dunked half of the harpies, and landed safely on the ground.

I hope they don't fix the harpies or the gap closers, I'm really looking forward to the next Blackheart pledge now.

I saw this happen in person and it was glorious as well as hilarious. Good stuff. Gap closers are fun in the dumbest way right now, like the above. However...

Scyantific posted:

This poo poo is the worst. Ran into this today and it was absolutely ridiculous. Like, it wasn't one dude or something like that. An entire keep got sieged by DKs taking flight and loving the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Orv posted:

Alright someone talked me into stam sorc so I could use a guild invite @OrvSA and if I could bum a spare set of training stuff off you that'd be awesome.

Double posting my bad but shout something out in guild chat tomorrow afternoon and we'll get you hooked up.

• Locked thread