Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:rip: Togashi.

Why can't we just use nen powers to transfer Togashi's pain to Kubo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Because that's terrible no matter how lovely their manga is. :v:

A Monstrous Crow posted:

Pretty sure his schedule is "tentatively go back to a weekly release schedule when possible, go back on hiatus when I physically cannot move."
And perhaps if he didn't try for weekly things would be better for everybody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyte posted:

I don't really understand what you're expecting. If he has health issues that prevent him from working then working monthly doesn't mean much. At best it just means you're getting a more 'consistent' schedule instead which is utterly meaningless.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I wonder if he is avoiding getting surgery? Like at the severity of pain he is in a doctor in america might have prescribed him getting his back worked on to fix the poo poo he did to it. Not sure about japans medical system but he probably could afford it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

I wonder if he is avoiding getting surgery? Like at the severity of pain he is in a doctor in america might have prescribed him getting his back worked on to fix the poo poo he did to it. Not sure about japans medical system but he probably could afford it?

His doctor said he was on track to not need it in one of his messages.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kyte posted:

Guys he's not working for free. He has a contract, he literally gets paid to draw things. That's his job. Don't treat it like he's putting out a free webcomic.

All of your posts read as though they're written by a person who has never had anything close to debilitating pain by any means.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

:rip: Togashi.

Why can't we just use nen powers to transfer Togashi's pain to Kubo.

Kubo suffers from mental anguish from being unable to only draw 2 page fashion spreads. Togashi suffers from physical torment. They are two sides of the same coin.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

This is why its on Hiatus. Kubo is gonna start drawing HXH.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kubo can draw pretty well all things considered. He cant write an interesting power for the life of him though so having someone like Togashi coming up with the writing and scenarios and Kubo drawing it would actually be pretty good. Togashi would still have to come up with the character designs though.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

one of the things i really like about hxh are the cartoony and exaggerated character designs, there are a lot of really cool minor characters that I remember because of their design

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kyte posted:

Guys he's not working for free. He has a contract, he literally gets paid to draw things. That's his job. Don't treat it like he's putting out a free webcomic.

Yes. And in his line of work (published author) he only gets paid when he publishes something. He isn't like you (assumption here) or me with monthly wages.

He only publishes a volume in a year and a half, instead of three volumes, he has three times less income.

So... I don't think anyone have problems with the economic issue?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
He is also married to the person who made Sailormoon. I doubt he'll have to worry about money.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kyte posted:

What I want is for him to make up his drat mind, decide on a schedule, whether that's one a year, once a quarter, once a month or whatever and stick to it.

(Why do people keep mentioning the ridiculous schedule thing? I keep harping that he could just switch to monthly or some other reasonable schedule instead of the actual complete lack of one)

Probably because he doesn't want to. Whether it's simply how he prefers to work or if he thinks it fits the pacing he wants to create better, he chooses to do it weekly when he's able to. If you're really that upset about things then just drop the manga for a few years and pick it up when there's a larger stock of chapters available.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mulderman posted:

He is also married to the person who made Sailormoon. I doubt he'll have to worry about money.

He also is the person who make Yu Yu Hakusho. Neither of them have to worry about money anymore, unless Togashi has Nick Cage-level spending habits.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Begemot posted:

He also is the person who make Yu Yu Hakusho. Neither of them have to worry about money anymore, unless Togashi has Nick Cage-level spending habits.

Well I suspect he's addicted to opiods at this point...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Why doesn't he train some kid off the streets to draw and think like him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kyte posted:

What would it change if he's bedridden for such long periods of time exactly. Just stop and think about what you're posting here, it's really dumb. I mean I want more HxH like everyone else here, but I'd rather the guy be healthy than be forced to draw just because you want a more " consistent" release schedule.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Monstrous Crow posted:

Pretty sure his schedule is "tentatively go back to a weekly release schedule when possible, go back on hiatus when I physically cannot move."

Jesus gently caress, can they not do epidural blocks in Japan or something?

AtomikKrab posted:

I've heard some kind of questionable things about Japan's medical system. It's possible that they may be the sort of country that is extremely hesitant to perform surgery (or even prescribe narcotic pain-killers) in situations that aren't explicitly threatening to kill you or cause permanent damage.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 4, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Asuron posted:

What would it change if he's bedridden for such long periods of time exactly. Just stop and think about what you're posting here, it's really dumb. I mean I want more HxH like everyone else here, but I'd rather the guy be healthy than be forced to draw just because you want a more " consistent" release schedule.

Eh, it does suck that he just ups and disappears with little "justification" as to why other than "mysterious illness thing". I dunno, there ARE ways that he could keep a more consistent schedule that aren't working 11h shifts as a broken human being (unless he's in such dire straits ALL THE TIME that he can't get anything done, in which case just...retire?). He just chooses not to take them, which sucks for us. Also, yeah, there might be weird Japanese social conventions in place here but I can't switch to a completely foreign mindset so...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe he legitimately likes doing it when he isn't bedridden, and the disease is preventing him from enjoying both his vocation and avocation?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

Maybe he legitimately likes doing it when he isn't bedridden, and the disease is preventing him from enjoying both his vocation and avocation?

Might be so, but it seems a bit...disingenuous to keep it in as a weekly format with tons of hiatuses. Although I suppose by now it's basically a "special feature" in Jump anyway, so it barely matters. But if he literally could not do it for anything from 6 to 12 months at times for the last half decade, sheesh, maybe it's better to just retire, even if it's a temporary retirement. I just think there's a chasm between wanting a slightly more regular schedule from a manga that's supposed to be weekly and wanting a crippled man to slave for 12h shifts, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

But we don't even know if this hiatus is one of the fabled HxH hiatuses, maybe it's a couple of weeks and we'll get more stuff.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm pretty sure at this point, he doesn't care what any of us think, and he's just doing whatever he wants to do, whether or not we or the editors at SJ like it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm for the locking him in a room with painkillers plan.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
If he's got chronic pain then his nociceptors might be hyper sensitive to the point where regular painkillers no longer work.
Untreated pain will give you a million loving problems. It's a real issue

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

If he's got chronic pain then his nociceptors might be hyper sensitive to the point where regular painkillers no longer work.
Untreated pain will give you a million loving problems. It's a real issue

Opioid also slow recovery from pain as well which sucks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Kubo can draw pretty well all things considered. He cant write an interesting power for the life of him though so having someone like Togashi coming up with the writing and scenarios and Kubo drawing it would actually be pretty good. Togashi would still have to come up with the character designs though.

I cannot endorse or understand this position. The fact people think Kubo is a good artist in general or comic artist in specific is baffling to me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He has some cool designs, but he could make better use of page space when conveying all sorts of scenes. A lot of the time you could expect more out of a page, but you only have something like a face and a hand covering a two page spread with white background.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I cannot endorse or understand this position. The fact people think Kubo is a good artist in general or comic artist in specific is baffling to me.

He has occasional flashes of talent, like when he did the Unohana vs Kenpachi fight but aside from that... yeah

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Kubo's pretty good at drawing and is more than capable of making good character designs but he has some real bad hang-ups and habits he keeps falling back on. The pages and pages of nothing happening and bad panel layouts is one, but also I hate how he conveys characters being 2cool4skool by always drawing their eyes half opened. It's one of the most minor things but it bothers me so much.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really understand what you're expecting. If he has health issues that prevent him from working then working monthly doesn't mean much. At best it just means you're getting a more 'consistent' schedule instead which is utterly meaningless.

Why is having a more consistent schedule "utterly meaningless" when the complaints are "I wish this was released more consistently?" Yall crazy posting right now for sure.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess HxH only has the properties of gum right now cause it's probably stuck in hiatus.

When's it gonna regain the property of rubber and bounce back?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is it Hunter x Hunter but HxH.

Why isn't it HunterxHunter of H x H.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Why isn't it HunterxHunter of H x H.

You sound like someone who is free.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

You sound like someone who is free.

I'm a Slave to Society.

StS.

I can't be SxS because we already have that, it's called Servant x Service.

Which just brings up the same question again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways if any goons can't scratch that Hunter x Hunter itch because it's on hiatus, then I recommend that they watch HxH Magias Academy Ataraxia, airing this season. It's a spin off of HxH, from what I hear.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm a Slave to Society.

StS.

I can't be SxS because we already have that, it's called Servant x Service.

Which just brings up the same question again.

because it's read Hunter Hunter not HunterxHunter but when using the abbreviation you know not to read the x so the extra spaces aren't necessary

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anyways if any goons can't scratch that Hunter x Hunter itch because it's on hiatus, then I recommend that they watch HxH Magias Academy Ataraxia, airing this season. It's a spin off of HxH, from what I hear.

It's not a spin off of Hunter. I don't care if that was the joke.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elfgames posted:

because it's read Hunter Hunter not HunterxHunter but when using the abbreviation you know not to read the x so the extra spaces aren't necessary

I know it's supposed to be "Hunter Hunter," but I always hear it in my head as "Hunter Ecks Hunter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I've been looking for this gif :3: