Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

raminasi posted:

I don't understand why visual studio doesn't have a quick action to add imports like the Java ides

it does if you use resharper. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hell yeah i can move my camera in three dimensions

unfortunately i can't transform my model yet without everything exploding

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ruby is bad. so is python, for the same reasons as ruby

if you think python is good and ruby is bad, you are probably an idiot. same problem if you think ruby is good but python is bad.

the bikeshedding and aesthetics matter a lot less than the lovely garbage collection, the terrible threading, the speed issues, useless type systems etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kalstrams posted:

what's the deal with people throwing up 219 plugins on top of vim to make an ide "replacement" out of it

emacs and vim both allow you to grab pieces of an ide as you need them

emacs, at least, will also degrade gracefully. if you don't have total support for some new language, you at least have very basic completion and project support provided by language-agnostic plugins

emacs is usually not as smoothly integrated as a "real" IDE, but your emacs environment works Pretty Good™ in all kinds of situations for which a fully integrated environment never planned

for a few languages, emacs is typically just as good as the "real" IDEs from vendors. lisp, scheme, scala, ruby, python all work incredibly well.

java, C, C++ all mostly work but have imperfect completion and debugger integration.

c# and rust are pretty much un-integrated. emacs will do syntax highlighting and it knows you have a project and can invoke a compiler for you and that's about it.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 3, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

:toot:

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
i tried switching over from vim to spacemacs (i think i first heard about it from MALE SHOEGAZE) but i don't currently have the time to learn how to become proficient with it (and all of the plugins it comes with and how they fit together) so i keep going back to vim and my hodgepodge of vim plugins that i already know how to use fairly well.

spacemacs seems really polished and cleanly integrates a lot of functionality spread across many plugins, and i would like to start using it. i guess what i'm getting at is that i'm a lazy piece of poo poo

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

:hellyeah:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you think python is good and ruby is bad, you are probably an idiot. same problem if you think ruby is good but python is bad.

the bikeshedding and aesthetics matter a lot less than the lovely garbage collection, the terrible threading, the speed issues, useless type systems etc

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the good part of python is numpy/scipy/etcetcetc

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

What language would you recommend for janitoring scripts which are a little more complex than reasonable for find | xargs?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

VikingofRock posted:

What language would you recommend for janitoring scripts which are a little more complex than reasonable for find | xargs?

my friend have you tried PERL

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

haskell (if you write any type signatures or any code outside of a do-block then you're doing it wrong)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

python is fine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

my friend have you tried PERL
i haven't touched perl all that much but last i remember it was virtually unreadable

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I do occasionally use Haskell for janitoring scripts, but often in a tunneled environment it's not already set up, or in a local environment I think there is a chance someone else will want to use/modify the script for something similar in the future and I don't want to count on them knowing Haskell. I think that writing janitoring scripts is actually a pretty good use case for python and that python is pretty good at it. People who declare python to be a "bad language" are usually just using it for something that it's bad at (or reacting to people who use it for large projects, which is IMO a bad idea).

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

kalstrams posted:

i haven't touched perl all that much but last i remember it was virtually unreadable

perl's syntax is uh, flexible. it'll happily let you write clean, readable code or a complete mess.

i still like it better than python or ruby, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kalstrams posted:

any language can be made readable or unreadable

perl was very popular because you could get plugins for anything conceivable. python and ruby are popular for the same reasons

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fair enough, i probably just ran into bad perl scripts back when i janitored servers

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Luigi Thirty posted:

hell yeah i can move my camera in three dimensions

unfortunately i can't transform my model yet without everything exploding

What do you mean by transform your model?

Changing the camera angle and transforming your model are the same process. Everything is just a chain of matrices. Your camera matrix IS "transforming" your model. It's just that you're not saving the results.

So if you need to rotate/scale/translate your model somehow then you just apply those matrices before you apply the ones you're already applying.

So if you're doing something like: (loaded model) * (camera_matrix) * (screen_matrix) = image
Then all you need to do is insert the matrix like this: (loaded_model) * (transformation_matrix) * (camera_matrix) * (screen_matrix) = image.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 4, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VikingofRock posted:

I do occasionally use Haskell for janitoring scripts, but often in a tunneled environment it's not already set up, or in a local environment I think there is a chance someone else will want to use/modify the script for something similar in the future and I don't want to count on them knowing Haskell. I think that writing janitoring scripts is actually a pretty good use case for python and that python is pretty good at it. People who declare python to be a "bad language" are usually just using it for something that it's bad at (or reacting to people who use it for large projects, which is IMO a bad idea).

i like haskell for script janitoring stuff

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

python is fine on the scale I use it for, i.e. mauling out a script to calculate dice roll probabilities or extracting the two columns I care about from a CSV without installing excel. I bet if Ruby had something like IDLE it would work just as well

everything about using it on an enterprise scale sounds like total dogshit, though

render that cube motherfucker, render the poo poo out of it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i keep forgetting about this thread which is a real shame because i find gems every drat day at my job

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Necc0 posted:

i keep forgetting about this thread which is a real shame because i find gems every drat day at my job
otoh youre job is war zone of incompetence, if i caught the cjs wind well, to an extent im surprised you find time to post, at all

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Necc0 posted:

a lot of people have negative things to say about it but what do you like most about ruby

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
they're pretty but if you stare too deeply into them they steal your soul and you find yourself working 6-8 hour days over a holiday weekend

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ErIog posted:

What do you mean by transform your model?

Changing the camera angle and transforming your model are the same process. Everything is just a chain of matrices. Your camera matrix IS "transforming" your model. It's just that you're not saving the results.

So if you need to rotate/scale/translate your model somehow then you just apply those matrices before you apply the ones you're already applying.

So if you're doing something like: (loaded model) * (camera_matrix) * (screen_matrix) = image
Then all you need to do is insert the matrix like this: (loaded_model) * (transformation_matrix) * (camera_matrix) * (screen_matrix) = image.

it was a combination of not applying the transformation properly and the renderer rejecting polygons with one or more vertices that are located offscreen.

what i'm working on now that i can place models in the world is figuring out how to effectively rotate the camera now that my homemade gluLookAt works properly and i can feed it an eye point and a "look here" point

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
I want to learn how to write terrible parsers for programming languages. Any tips on where to start?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaggar posted:

its an option when autocompleting same as in eclipse.

:eyepop: ok i will relax my complaint to "this feature is made very undiscoverable by the fact that in order to type enough for the ide to figure out which using directive you might want to add you have to explicitly escape out of autocompleting types that are kinda like the one you want"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Will Rice posted:

I want to learn how to write terrible parsers for programming languages. Any tips on where to start?

the canonical suggestion is lex and yacc or, to be more modern, ANTLR

forums comrade Bloody had a good time doing it in Haskell with some of the interesting tools the Haskell community provides

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

raminasi posted:

:eyepop: ok i will relax my complaint to "this feature is made very undiscoverable by the fact that in order to type enough for the ide to figure out which using directive you might want to add you have to explicitly escape out of autocompleting types that are kinda like the one you want"

how would it figure out what you want to use without you typing in part of what you want to use?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eschaton posted:

the canonical suggestion is lex and yacc or, to be more modern, ANTLR

forums comrade Bloody had a good time doing it in Haskell with some of the interesting tools the Haskell community provides

haskell parsing is cool and good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eh, it's functional

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaggar posted:

how would it figure out what you want to use without you typing in part of what you want to use?

the problem is that if you just mash away and there's a type that's kinda similar to what you're typing that's currently available vs will rewrite what you're typing into that one before you finish. i've never had that problem with eclipse but i've used eclipse much less so maybe it happens there too

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

hobbesmaster posted:

eh, it's functional

Nice!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
one of our vendors doesn't escape strings in the csv files they send to us :sigh:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

eh, it's functional

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just a heads up, pycharm is 30% off atm if you thought about getting it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

anthonypants posted:

a lot of people have negative things to say about it but what do you like most about ruby

it's not perl

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fritz posted:

the good part of python is numpy/scipy/etcetcetc

a thin layer of wrapping above some fortran libraries and all of the gotchas of plotting in matlab is not a compelling reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

raminasi posted:

the problem is that if you just mash away and there's a type that's kinda similar to what you're typing that's currently available vs will rewrite what you're typing into that one before you finish. i've never had that problem with eclipse but i've used eclipse much less so maybe it happens there too

hmm. idr that happening but i wouldn't be surprised. the biggest problem w/ VS autocomplete is that its dumb as poo poo and doesn't take your current context into account whereas eclipse limits the auto complete scope to current context.

• Locked thread