Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Youmu is just so much nicer than everyone else. Although it kinda seems her memories were mostly about slashing and being annoyed at Yuyuko so maybe she's just trying to be polite.

Also, Reimu's comment for Mystia is loving savage holy poo poo.

Reimu's powerful Waldorf-and-Statler technique.

also i can't wait for marisa to collect the dragon balls and fight goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Actually, I think your translation of Reimu's comment on Kaguya is about right. She's probably taking pity on Kaguya for her terrible imagination. But just skimming over it, I noticed your translation of Marisa's comment about Reimu is a bit off. She's saying that as long as they follow proper danmaku rules, she can sometimes win before Reimu gets serious. Also, Marisa's comment on Patchouli was her saying that simply watching her spell cards makes Marisa feel like studying.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Does ZUN actually name Koakuma and Daiyousei in Tewi's comment?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ZUN has a history with going with fan stuff like Keine headbutting and stuff, so it's not that unheard of.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

ZUN has a history with going with fan stuff like Keine headbutting and stuff, so it's not that unheard of.

Wait, when did that happen?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Beer

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

a cartoon duck posted:

Wait, when did that happen?

Perfect Memento

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nook posted:

Does ZUN actually name Koakuma and Daiyousei in Tewi's comment?

Yes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Reimu's powerful Waldorf-and-Statler technique.

also i can't wait for marisa to collect the dragon balls and fight goku

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Last time she collected the Dragonballs all she fought was Sumireko.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Updated version of the chart, with ZUN commentary: http://imgur.com/a/wKW2N

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

You spelled Danmaku Barrier wrong

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

:sbahj:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nook posted:

You spelled Danmaku Barrier wrong

I lost track of what we're translating things as these days. This version always stood out to me because it's really terrible.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The touhou Anime Expo panel will begin in about an hour, to be streamed here (I think):

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/8790371

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Well I guess they didn't stream it

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Oni aren't supposed to lie. Shameful.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I said "I think" which frees me of all guilt!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Oni aren't supposed to think, either!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Don't bully!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Aw man, that's a shame, I'm seeing lots of choice quotes come up on Twitter.

quote:

ZUN: I make nasty patterns for nasty characters.
Audience: What's a nasty character?
ZUN: Yukari.
And then there's the requisite "WHERE'S MIMA?!" and "BRING BACK PC-98!" and apparently someone try to make a Cirno Trump joke...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Someone on 4chan tried to transcribe it. He didn't get everything, but it's better than nothing

http://pastebin.com/Kiatum4a

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

It's unfortunate that that the Anime Expo crowd seems so much worse compared to the Anime Weekend Atlanta crowd a couple years back

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

HGH posted:

Aw man, that's a shame, I'm seeing lots of choice quotes come up on Twitter.

And then there's the requisite "WHERE'S MIMA?!" and "BRING BACK PC-98!" and apparently someone try to make a Cirno Trump joke...

So when did he say mima was coming back?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nook posted:

It's unfortunate that that the Anime Expo crowd seems so much worse compared to the Anime Weekend Atlanta crowd a couple years back

The AWA crowd was a bit more constrained because we just got a short Q&A with him and a handful of other people so there was time to think and also the questions had to work with 3 other people.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nages posted:

So when did he say mima was coming back?

quote:

A: You're gonna ask that?!? ...When there is an opportunity

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

was there another shirt to go with the tenshi shirt i got from AWA

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Nook posted:

Yeah. Seemed like the whole moderator/translator setup wasn't so hot either.
Found a video. Haven't had time to watch it yet though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSBYVHFUvmQ

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Next game then, got it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mims confirmed for new mc

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Namtab posted:

Mims confirmed for new mc phantasm boss

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

Mims confirmed for new mc

I'm not following this thread BUT TELL ME THIS IS TRUE

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's

not.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

F

UCK

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Mima already was a main character, she is simply returning.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Forbidden Scrollery 40 and 41 available on online reader now.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Forbidden Scrollery 40 and 41 available on online reader now.

http://bato.to/reader#70998839e0b45c32_14
Akyu: the best?

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
ZUN sounded really annoyed at the Mima question and his answer was just being polite.

Also those translated character comments are gold. Reimu is the best at being mean yet sometimes nice. Youmu's comments are so dorky it's adorable.

They used the wrong Chen portrait:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Clownpiece is my wife

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Clarste posted:

I lost track of what we're translating things as these days. This version always stood out to me because it's really terrible.

Do you mind sharing how you would localize that name as today, or what makes the current version terrible? I'm always curious about these sorts of things, ever since my initial attempts at translating Touhou from scratch with no prior knowledge of Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Leviathean posted:

Do you mind sharing how you would localize that name as today, or what makes the current version terrible? I'm always curious about these sorts of things, ever since my initial attempts at translating Touhou from scratch with no prior knowledge of Japanese.

The spellcard is "Danmaku Kekkai". "Danmaku" is written as "bullet curtain" and in this context just refers to Bullet Hell, as in the shooting genre. As ZUN admits, this might have been the first time the word was used in the games themselves, since it's sort of meta. I guess we've agreed to leave this in Japanese for whatever reason, so whatever.

"Kekkai" is written as "fixed boundary" and was originally a religious term. It refers to ritually marked off areas, such as the line between the inner and outer sections of a temple, one of which is sacred and the other is not. I guess "sanctum" might be somewhat close in meaning. I think this might be what "bounded field" was supposed to be getting at? As in it refers to an area with clearly delineated boundaries? That's a stretch, but it's the only way I can imagine it. Of course, that original meaning isn't how it's being used at all. "Kekkai" in the modern parlance refers to any supernatural barrier, a force field if you will. The boundary that separates Gensokyo from the outside world is referred to as the Hakurei Dai-kekkai, or the Great Hakurei Barrier. Heck, there's a shounen manga called "Kekkai-users" that is literally about kids who use magical barriers as weapons in shounen battles. Which is all just to say that when your average fantasy enthusiast sees the word "kekkai" the image that pops into their mind is that of a magical force field.

In other words, "bounded field" is absolutely not the intended meaning, and only loosely related to its religious jargon meaning. I can only imagine that someone with no knowledge of Japanese looked it up in a dictionary, found the jargon definition, and then struggled for a while to come up with something that might convey what they got from that.

Danmaku Barrier is fine, imo.