Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I have a shocking sock tan, it's pretty ridiculous.

Also I played that course with that dumb par 4 I had posted yesterday, hit 7 iron, 6 iron into the hole, made a decent par. Everyone else hit driver, nothing better than bogey. Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

Don't sweat it, worst case you get a stupidly high handicap and dominate taking home your first monthly medal :)

That's the big weakness of the handicap system. Three rounds isn't nearly enough to get a good fix on your ability.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

That's the big weakness of the handicap system. Three rounds isn't nearly enough to get a good fix on your ability.

Especially when the official system requires a minimum of five rounds to calculate your handicap.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ended up shooting 83-82 this year, which is disappointing. The course is playing a lot harder than it was last year and overall scores were quite a bit higher so that makes it a bit more bearable. I also didn't lose any balls and drove the ball beautifully. I won a few skins today with a birdie after a perfect drive went though the green on 2 and I got up and down.

I really need to spend more time working on 30-70 yard pitches. I only had one birdie this weekend and it should have been more if I could have had more 5 to 10 footers instead of 20 to 30.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Shrapnig posted:

I have a shocking sock tan, it's pretty ridiculous.

I know that feel

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

NickRoweFillea posted:

I know that feel

Seconded. Also have five shades of tan on my left arm.

Top to bottom: Sleeve, bare arm, watch, between watch and glove, and glove.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sock tans are :cool:.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Especially when the official system requires a minimum of five rounds to calculate your handicap.

US, UK or Australian system they are all different. In Australia my three cards get sent to golf link, they calculate my handicap and store it so any club can confirm if I play a comp round there. Also all cards submitted go to golf link they pretty much have taken the need for clubs themselves to calculate handicap, all they do is send off the cards from comp each week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Sock tans are :cool:.

Same

Also Day, DJ and Piercey are getting brutalized towards the end of Firestone and it owns

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus Day just exploded on this hole.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow days lucky that was only a double

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EVERYTHING IS IN THE TREES

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dat little DJ son :3:

E: LOOK AT HIM OH MY GOD :buddy:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus, Day is completely dead

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dimebag posted:

US, UK or Australian system they are all different. In Australia my three cards get sent to golf link, they calculate my handicap and store it so any club can confirm if I play a comp round there. Also all cards submitted go to golf link they pretty much have taken the need for clubs themselves to calculate handicap, all they do is send off the cards from comp each week.

I needed 5 scores for the OGA (provincial golf thingy) to get a handicap. I wish I didnt know mine. Its depressing watching it constantly go up and down between 26 and 28. And I never play in tournaments so it literally does nothing but sit there and tell me Im bad at golf. I get enough reminders about that every hole. :smith:

Also Im pretty sure my dad broke my entire swing trying to help me after I shot 93. Like, the best round Ive had since I was 16 and he spends and entire round telling me how bad everything is and to do this and that and now Im back to shooting 110+. If I ignore his advice he gets all grumpy and waits for a shot to say "See, told you so". That doesnt help, dad. :argh:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Unsolicited swing advice is just a part of golf unfortunately, everyone has to deal with it. Right now my backswing is very upright and my hands get higher than they're "supposed to" but that's because when I had a shallower backswing I hooked the poo poo out of everything. Today I was hitting a 7i off the tee on a dogleg par 4, and a guy in my group who was hitting his 3 hybrid to the same spot as me started giving pointers... Thanks but no thanks lol. He's a decent golfer and all but everybody has different physical abilities, different impact characteristics, and different ways of correcting their flaws, so the latest tip his instructor gave him is unlikely to do squat for me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My feet look like Stwart Cink's head, it's amazing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Unsolicited swing advice is just a part of golf unfortunately, everyone has to deal with it. Right now my backswing is very upright and my hands get higher than they're "supposed to" but that's because when I had a shallower backswing I hooked the poo poo out of everything. Today I was hitting a 7i off the tee on a dogleg par 4, and a guy in my group who was hitting his 3 hybrid to the same spot as me started giving pointers... Thanks but no thanks lol. He's a decent golfer and all but everybody has different physical abilities, different impact characteristics, and different ways of correcting their flaws, so the latest tip his instructor gave him is unlikely to do squat for me.

Speaking of Hooks, I'm either striping a great drive down the middle or I'm hooking it left.

Also, I played the worst golf course in New Hampshire today, Crotched Mountain. The front 9 is designed by Donald Ross, who I assume hated every golfer with a handicap higher than 5.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I love that I get this reference and I'm laughing so hard picturing it

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

I needed 5 scores for the OGA (provincial golf thingy) to get a handicap. I wish I didnt know mine. Its depressing watching it constantly go up and down between 26 and 28. And I never play in tournaments so it literally does nothing but sit there and tell me Im bad at golf. I get enough reminders about that every hole. :smith:

Also Im pretty sure my dad broke my entire swing trying to help me after I shot 93. Like, the best round Ive had since I was 16 and he spends and entire round telling me how bad everything is and to do this and that and now Im back to shooting 110+. If I ignore his advice he gets all grumpy and waits for a shot to say "See, told you so". That doesnt help, dad. :argh:

Yeah back when I was playing much more often as a junior I was going from 17 to around 20, where you hit a wall and don't have the time or drive to work on your game. For me the handicap while giving me an indication of my level just allows me to play Saturday's at the club I joined as well as other local courses as that's comp day.

Been playing with my dad pretty much the entire time I've played outside of junior events, if he sees something I'll try to adjust but it's more along the line of noticing my stance is a little bit out of whack, right foot is back a little at address that I don't notice, and I'll adjust which is handy, He's never given me swing advice since teaching me as a 6 year old. Mostly I just get a sarcastic "keep your head down" if I hit a really bad shot or an amazing shot but that's a continuation of a 30 odd year running dad joke.

The hardest part of getting back to playing is getting back touch with wedges and scoring irons. Putting I have been surprised how well I am going but pitching, chipping and shots inside 100m is where is am losing the most shots. I've been working on it by chipping into an open umbrella stuck in the ground but actually working on pitching is a little harder due to not having the space or time to go to the range and work on it. All part of the fun of the game.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Shrapnig posted:

Yeap

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Is this what this thread has become

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Oh no, what a tragedy > http://www.golfdigest.com/story/thanks-brexit-2016-british-open-purse-significantly-less-than-zach-johnsons-st-andrews-payday

~$250,000 less for the winner because of Brexit and the drop in value of the British currency.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

Speaking of Hooks, I'm either striping a great drive down the middle or I'm hooking it left.

Also, I played the worst golf course in New Hampshire today, Crotched Mountain. The front 9 is designed by Donald Ross, who I assume hated every golfer with a handicap higher than 5.

On the bright side it's better to be a hooker than a slicer. Hook is easier to fix, generally if you're a slicer a pro will fix your setup/swing so you're hooking the ball rather than slicing and then from there make minor corrections so you hit more of a draw or fade. I am basically the opposite. I hit it straight or with a slight fade or I will pull shots left with no turn, it's really fun. I had a drive yesterday on a 350 yard par 4 that I basically sliced the poo poo out of for the first time in awhile, but thanks to some intense wind I landed on the edge of the 18th fairway over some bush/jungle area and after being pissed off for a second I pured the poo poo out of my 56* wedge to drop within 2ft of the pin only to miss the bird :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Everyone watch the Scottish open at Castle Stuart because it is the best course. also I'm going back in august omg omg omg omg eeeeeeeeeee :f5:

CS Facebook page posted:

The challenge awaits... Aberdeen Asset Management ‪#‎ScottishOpen‬
Each player who scores a birdie on the 17th during the championship will receive a 17 year old bottle of Ballantine’s whisky

That's the most scottish loving thing and I love it

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Have we gotten to the point of adding DJ to the can't pick list for our major betting game?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Have we gotten to the point of adding DJ to the can't pick list for our major betting game?
Yeah I think it's reasonable to add him to the list. He had already supplanted Rory for #3 in the world after the US Open and has now supplanted Spieth at #2.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 7, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

Everyone watch the Scottish open at Castle Stuart because it is the best course. also I'm going back in august omg omg omg omg eeeeeeeeeee :f5:

That's the most scottish loving thing and I love it

Here's where my drives would end up if I played there 4 times.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Here's where my drives would end up if I played there 4 times.

I spent way too long looking for that 4th dot. :golfclap:

Id be 3 to the left and 4th one where that missing dot was. :v:

Probably no golf this weekend, calling for thunderstorms Saturday and wet+windy Sunday. Thankfully I only have one shift next week so I can sneak out for some evening golf. :toot:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So good watching that Scottish Open tournament last night. A real test of skills with the wind gusting.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Guys, I don't know what to do. I went to the "golf store" last night to hit some drivers for fun. Specifically went to hit the Cobra King F6+... that club is a drat beast and it's true what people have noted that the sweet spot is a little bit high on the face. After ~20 hits I was averaging a 280 carry, 2800 spin, 114mph club head speed with a little baby fade. Good numbers, then realized the club was set to 11.5* and the weight was in the front promoting a stupid high flight. Then I noticed they finally had an M1 available to demo w/ the x-stiff Kuro Kage shaft I would prefer. M1 was set to 10.5*, hit another 10-15 balls with the, average 285 carry, 2600 spin, 115mph club head speed, again with a lil baby fade as my natural swing promotes. By comparison the driver I have been using which is an old as poo poo burner I got in like 2008...averages across 10 balls 240 carry, 4600 spin rate, 116mph club head lol. I mean, I knew I hit the burner pretty terrible as I can hit my R15 3wood longer, but the difference is kind of staggering. I am not sure what my numbers were with the R1 I used forever that was stolen, but distance wise it was around 290 average total yards. The sim they had was odd in that the ball would carry the above yardage and stop and then it would flash a total yardage which I assume is just calculated, but I imagine with a 280-285 carry in the right conditions with that low of a spin I could easily hit 300+ on the reg.

Now, I need to decide what to get. M1 is like 330 used on ebay and the Cobra can be had for like 250 brand new on ebay it seems. Common sense would say numbers were similar and that I should get the cobra and save some cash, but this is golf and every yard counts!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Guys, I don't know what to do. I went to the "golf store" last night to hit some drivers for fun. Specifically went to hit the Cobra King F6+... that club is a drat beast and it's true what people have noted that the sweet spot is a little bit high on the face. After ~20 hits I was averaging a 280 carry, 2800 spin, 114mph club head speed with a little baby fade. Good numbers, then realized the club was set to 11.5* and the weight was in the front promoting a stupid high flight. Then I noticed they finally had an M1 available to demo w/ the x-stiff Kuro Kage shaft I would prefer. M1 was set to 10.5*, hit another 10-15 balls with the, average 285 carry, 2600 spin, 115mph club head speed, again with a lil baby fade as my natural swing promotes. By comparison the driver I have been using which is an old as poo poo burner I got in like 2008...averages across 10 balls 240 carry, 4600 spin rate, 116mph club head lol. I mean, I knew I hit the burner pretty terrible as I can hit my R15 3wood longer, but the difference is kind of staggering. I am not sure what my numbers were with the R1 I used forever that was stolen, but distance wise it was around 290 average total yards. The sim they had was odd in that the ball would carry the above yardage and stop and then it would flash a total yardage which I assume is just calculated, but I imagine with a 280-285 carry in the right conditions with that low of a spin I could easily hit 300+ on the reg.

Now, I need to decide what to get. M1 is like 330 used on ebay and the Cobra can be had for like 250 brand new on ebay it seems. Common sense would say numbers were similar and that I should get the cobra and save some cash, but this is golf and every yard counts!
I think the important thing to note here is your Burner is a horrible fit, and that any drivers in the last few years are comparable: R1, F6+, M1.

Get an M2 if you want the M1 look. Most of TM's staff is playing it instead.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 8, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I think the important thing to note here is your Burner is a horrible fit, and that any drivers in the last few years are comparable: R1, F6+, M1.

Get an M2 if you want the M1 look. Most of TM's staff is playing it instead.

Oh for sure, I bought it when I first got back into golf, used. Its clearly more suited towards someone that has trouble getting the ball in the air and also they must have been tall because it's an inch longer than stock shaft length. I guess I should go try the R15 as well because those can be had pretty cheap these days as well. They still didn't have a Nike Vapor Fly to demo though which I am kinda mad about :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I still use a re-shafted Burner Superfast 9.5° and love it.

Got one of these on it: http://www.alphagolfclubs.com/products/platinum-wood-shaft built out for driver specs. 44.5" total club length.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I dropped to a Taylormade SLDR and went from ~30% fairways to 80%. Gave up around 10 yards, but I really, really don't miss it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

That's interesting since SLDRs are notoriously unforgiving. Something about it must suit your swing.

DJ has pulled out of the Olympics now, that's a shame. Can't really blame all these top guys but it's lame that the first Olympic Golf in like a century is going to be missing so many stars.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

That's interesting since SLDRs are notoriously unforgiving. Something about it must suit your swing.

DJ has pulled out of the Olympics now, that's a shame. Can't really blame all these top guys but it's lame that the first Olympic Golf in like a century is going to be missing so many stars.

I find the shorter shaft and heavier head make up for the less forgiving sweet spot. It's all about where your screw up lies. I used to hit 3 wood off the tee if I was having a bad day, and this sort of grooves into that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

I just wish they wouldn't hide behind the Zika virus threat (it's not a threat in the winter) and just admit that the Olympics is a dumpster fire that they don't want to be associated with.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

daslog posted:

I just wish they wouldn't hide behind the Zika virus threat (it's not a threat in the winter) and just admit that the Olympics is a dumpster fire that they don't want to be associated with.

I hope none of the top players go.

Because I want to defend the gold :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mattfl posted:

Burlington coat factory hype = real. Had to go to the one about 20 mins away but picked these guys up today for $25!

Ok so I tried to play with these today and they are way to small. I guess the socks I wore when I tried them on were thicker than my normal ones. I put one on and was like nope, so they haven't even been worn at all.

So if anyone wears a size 10.5 in nikes and wants these before I put them on eBay I'll let them go for $35 shipped. That should be enough to cover what I paid and priority shipping within the US.