Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Do it ironically posted:

lol do some people really think that it's racist to call out BLM for pulling a dickhead stunt?

Welcome to D&D my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

EvilJoven posted:

Has anyone here said anything yet about the general nasty attitude of the black community towards LGBT people and the fact that a black LGBT person is way more likely to get curb stomped by a regular black person while the rest turn a blind eye than by a cop?

I agree that black lives matter and cops have been really poo poo to the LGBT community but I think that cops have more right to be in the parade than BLM does.

If you are neither black nor queer this is an incredibly thorny issue to broach, and with good reason. It almost universally comes across as the same kind of insincere moral opportunism as "black people are actually really racist" and "ah bloo bloo why isn't there a straight pride parade?"

There's a really important history of intersection between black activism and queer activism. If there's major social hostility and danger for people who are both black and queer, I think we community-minded queer people have a definite responsibility to do something about that, regardless of which community (black or queer) is the primary source of that discrimination. Black people have also never abused institutional power to beat us to a pulp with impunity so uh, you don't really know what you're talking about and should probably step back.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Alright I just give up trying to understand you Toronto people

https://twitter.com/BLM_TO/status/749787494590316544

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ikantski posted:

The more I read about BLMTO lately the more I think their top organizers are either totally nuts or just media-seeking opportunists. That doesn't invalidate everything the organization itself is saying, but it's a real drat shame that genuinely important social issues are getting lost by the wayside amidst a confusing shitshow of grandstanding and garbled messaging. Like... they were so close. Pride was a perfect, appropriate time to raise their voices, and they had relevant complaints and the core of an important message. But they botched the delivery pretty badly, their founders have apparently been implicated in a nasty controversy or two, and now everyone's determined to write every last one of them off as shock artists or something :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I more or less agree with Zizek that "the left" is mostly tearing itself apart and distracting itself with infinitely regressing fractals of identity politics. This is from 2001 but it's an interesting read.
https://ecpr.eu/Filestore/PaperProposal/a6092ba9-cde1-4532-b8f0-53240879bd39.pdf

Another interesting read on identity politics.
https://thecharnelhouse.org/2013/12/07/whats-wrong-with-identity-politics-and-intersectionality-theory/

"But operating under the same schema as a more simplified identity politics, intersectionality theory serves to isolate multiple and seemingly endless identity standpoints, without sufficiently articulating them with each other, or the forms of domination. The upshot in political practice is a static pluralism of reified social categories, each vying for more-subaltern-than-thou status on a field of one-downsmanship. While it may be useful for sociologists attempting to describe groups and their struggles with power, as a political theory, it is useless, or worse. This is because, by ending with the identification and isolation of its various constituencies, it in fact serves to sever the connections that it supposedly sought to understand and strengthen. The practical upshot of intersectionality theory is the perpetual articulation of difference, resulting in fragmentation and the stagnation of political activity "

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 4, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Angry Diplomat posted:

The more I read about BLMTO lately the more I think their top organizers are either totally nuts or just media-seeking opportunists.

I think it's mostly the latter with a dash of the former, they just want to yell and be heard? Not even metaphorically, I mean literally. When they were protesting at Queen's park, Wynne came out and said she'd talk to the leader and this was the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcxVYMdK14&t=13s

Is being a professional activist a thing? I don't get what their endgame is.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

An ethnic minority uses dancing and music to celebrate itself and to maintain positive atmosphere and energy despite facing systematic racism and poverty. I don't get why that's weird? Is it also weird to you when Irish or Jewish or Quebecois people treat the preservation of a distinctive culture as a form of resistance against the dominant culture in which they exist? This is pretty unremarkable from a cultural anthropology perspective. Of all the questionable statements or ideas that you could tie to BLM this one seems really innocuous. Is it just because 'twerking' is a comparatively recent thing that we're supposed to associate with Miley Cyrus instead of a "real" form of cultural expression? Because pretty much all dance is pretty drat stupid and arbitrary if you think about it objectively, I don't think twerking stands out as unusual.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ikantski posted:

drat, check out the comments on that video. Where are all of these trash tier Canadians coming from?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I drink wine coolers as cultural resistance to support my Irish heritage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
have you guys never heard of jaggi singh

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm not certain I follow. Can you elaborate?

I don't think anyone here is advocating the mass expulsion of everyone outside the queer community. Some of us just don't really want to see non-queer cops occupying a place in the parade, due to the specific history between us and said cops. :shrug:

Statements like:

Angry Diplomat posted:

I mean, that's great, but are you queer?
and

Pinterest Mom posted:

Then, you know, it's really cute that you [as a straight person] think you get to have an opinion over who gets to be included in the parade, but you don't.

... sound nice and empowering but also suggests that there is something essential to the queer experience that immediately justifies a queer person's opinion and disqualifies a straight person's, or that queer people have access to special knowledge that is inaccessible to straights. I don't think that stands up to much scrutiny. Take, for example, a TERF lesbian who doesn't think gay trans women should be allowed in the dyke march. Is her opinion more valid than a straight cisgendered trans ally? What about a gay cis-male's opinion? He's queer but he's not a lesbian; is the TERFs opinion more legitimate than his? What about a bisexual woman in a hetero relationship who's been sheltered by privilege all her life, is she entitled to have her voice heard? If not, then are we saying only queer opinions are valid, or only the right opinions by the right types of queer people?

It's a stupid way of thinking that's more about policing borders and maintaining in-group purity than it is about achieving anything in the wider culture.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I more or less agree with Zizek that "the left" is mostly tearing itself apart and distracting itself with infinitely regressing fractals of identity politics. This is from 2001 but it's an interesting read.
https://ecpr.eu/Filestore/PaperProposal/a6092ba9-cde1-4532-b8f0-53240879bd39.pdf

https://thecharnelhouse.org/2013/12/07/whats-wrong-with-identity-politics-and-intersectionality-theory/

I was resistant to this view for a long time but I've found it harder and harder to deny altogether over the last couple years. That having been said, you open yourself up to a lot of obvious rebuttles when you couch your comment in such sweeping terms. There are reasons, some of them pretty good, why the older movement orient left split into so many divergent paths and without some awareness of that history you'll end up coming off as though you're saying "we were better off back when people just like me were in charge of the movement."

Ikantski posted:

I think it's mostly the latter with a dash of the former, they just want to yell and be heard? Not even metaphorically, I mean literally. When they were protesting at Queen's park, Wynne came out and said she'd talk to the leader and this was the discussion.

There are environments -- certain university departments, certain corners of twitter and tumblr, certain social circles -- where performative outrage of this kind is rewarded. There's a lot of selection pressures that would encourage young people of a certain generation of activists to adopt this kind of attitude. I've also noticed this growing fetishization in some corners of the internet with a kind of internet-tough-guy activism where you constantly harp on about how you're drinking the tears of your opponents and reveling in how mad they are.

It seems to tie in with the rise of the internet and you see a similar attitude among plenty of liberals and alt-right folks but it stands out a lot more among vaguely lefty types because it's so completely in-congruent with the stated values or aims of the traditional left.

While these groups do seize on real grievances and problems with society, I think there's a growing realization that a lot of the identity politics and privilege based discourse on the internet has become a social technology for dominating conversations, signalling your membership in the in-group and generally shutting down conversations you don't approve of. The backlash is already building and I imagine things are going to get a lot uglier in the future.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
PT6A please start a beer derail to get us on the right track

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Helsing posted:

An ethnic minority uses dancing and music to celebrate itself and to maintain positive atmosphere and energy despite facing systematic racism and poverty. I don't get why that's weird? Is it also weird to you when Irish or Jewish or Quebecois people treat the preservation of a distinctive culture as a form of resistance against the dominant culture in which they exist? This is pretty unremarkable from a cultural anthropology perspective. Of all the questionable statements or ideas that you could tie to BLM this one seems really innocuous. Is it just because 'twerking' is a comparatively recent thing that we're supposed to associate with Miley Cyrus instead of a "real" form of cultural expression? Because pretty much all dance is pretty drat stupid and arbitrary if you think about it objectively, I don't think twerking stands out as unusual.

I agree there's a real Alvin Ailey feeling to flopping your rear end around against the machine

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Do it ironically posted:

I agree there's a real Alvin Ailey feeling to flopping your rear end around against the machine

If you strip away all sentimentality and examine any dance from a purely objective and logical standpoint it's going to look pretty drat stupid.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

I don't get why that's weird?

It's the "as resistance" bit that made it incomprehensible. Without that, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Isn't twerking really popular and kind of encouraged? I dunno. I think they wanted to post a video of their sweet party but every single thing they do has to be some kind of social justice movement. Quebecois, Irish people and Jews would just tweet about eating poutine, drinking beer or getting circumcisions without having to point out that they're doing it as resistance.

Helsing posted:

The backlash is already building and I imagine things are going to get a lot uglier in the future.

One day we'll be explaining to our kids how trolling used to just be an internet thing. Maybe we'll see the rise of the militant moderates.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Helsing posted:

If you strip away all sentimentality and examine any dance from a purely objective and logical standpoint it's going to look pretty drat stupid.

except I could objectively watch a classic ballet without sound and come away that it has great body movement, athletic leaps and turns, and solid facial expressions by the dancers

just as i could objectively watch a modern interpretive dance or twerk and say how stupid it looks

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I kind of get the sense that BLMTO is legitimately surprised that in general their demands keep getting met and they're just kind of flailing around a bit not quite knowing what to do. Like, there's going to be a coroners inquest into the Loku shooting, carding was cracked down, the city is going to do a review of TPS through an "anti-black racism lens". I mean it's not perfect, but compared to the US where there's all this resistance to literally anything BLM asks and they're getting demonized by the right as this horrible threat.

Which is why now lack of black trans ASL interpreters is apparently an issue of the day?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do you have any reason to believe they're not, or are you just being snarky and self-satisfied?

What proportion of the TPS participants were queer, or genuine allies?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rap music is objectively bad because they do not have technical signing skills or hit the correct notes, in fact they're mostly just talking and, objectively, their grammar is often objectively incorrect.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Helsing posted:

There are environments -- certain university departments, certain corners of twitter and tumblr, certain social circles -- where performative outrage of this kind is rewarded. There's a lot of selection pressures that would encourage young people of a certain generation of activists to adopt this kind of attitude. I've also noticed this growing fetishization in some corners of the internet with a kind of internet-tough-guy activism where you constantly harp on about how you're drinking the tears of your opponents and reveling in how mad they are.
I'd love to hear more about this. The incoherent rambling and use of jargon makes a lot of this stuff inaccessible to the public. I'm not really sure who a lot of this identity politics activism is for since the average Black Canadian is not well read up on critical race theory.

I think this is an issue broadly too. With disability activism, most people will agree that wheelchair ramps should be more common, but it's a fair leap from that to cochlear implants as Deaf Genocide. Likewise the leap from Gay marriage to the Cotton Ceiling.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Do it ironically posted:

objectively watch

:lol: the view from nowhere as pointed at ballet?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
http://globalnews.ca/news/2801530/black-lives-matter-toronto-defends-sit-in-police-float-ban-at-pride-parade/

quote:

Pride Toronto is denying it has agreed to ban police floats from its parades, saying it has committed only to having a “conversation” about the controversial demand made by Black Lives Matter after the group staged a sit-in that held up Sunday’s march and angered the police union.

While Pride’s executive director signed the list of nine demands and ended the 30-minute protest, co-chair Aaron GlynWilliams said Monday nothing was actually agreed upon and that the signing was done to get the parade moving again.

lmao owned

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
BLM_TO thought that Facebook Maybe was a hard Yes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gay-cop-black-lives-matter-letter-1.3663323

quote:

Dear Pride Toronto,

I am writing today to address concerns I have with your recent agreement with Black Lives Matter TO. I am particularly concerned with your willingness to remove all police floats and booths in future parades and community spaces. I should give you my background first.

I am a Toronto Police Service Constable, and a homosexual. I have been on the job eight years. Prior to becoming a Police Officer, I served in the Canadian Armed Forces and completed a tour in Kandahar Afghanistan in 2006-07.

I never "came out" while serving in the military. Though not for fear of persecution, I only told a select few about my orientation. I was still quite young and was simply not ready.

It wasn't until 2012 that I decided to come out. I began to tell a few peers at work, and soon word spread. I can say with absolute pride that my peers, and my employers/senior management, have never made an inappropriate comment to me. I have never been made to feel discriminated against.

This year, 2016, marked a first for me. My first Pride parade. I would be working, nonetheless it would be my first one in any capacity. Wow, what an event. What a spectacle, a joining of everyone.

The 2016 pride events really opened my eyes to something. The support that I have from my peers and supervisors has been unwavering. When I saw all those floats and officers marching (hundreds), I realized that my employer fully supports this part of me, and so many others like me. As I stood post at Yonge and College, ensuring a safe atmosphere, Chief Mark Saunders came up to me. I had the opportunity to salute him, and I knew that I had a leader who was invested in this celebration of Pride.

LGBTQ cops have struggled for decades. I am fortunate, because it is their struggles in the past, that have made my orientation an irrelevant factor in my workplace interactions. Members of police services, and their employers (like RBC, Telus, Porter, etc) have just as much right to participate as any other group.

Police officers are significantly represented in the LGBTQ community and it would be unacceptable to alienate and discriminate against them and those who support them. They too struggled to gain a place and workplace free from discrimination and bias.

I do not speak for the police, and I do not speak for the LGBTQ community. I speak as an individual, one who saw his first Pride, only to be excluded from the next.

Exclusion does not promote inclusion.

Chuck Krangle​

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's totally okay for straight people to join in pride. Remember to take lots of pictures and Instragram them with the hashtag #LGBQTAlly so people know how PROGRESSIVE you are. It's not like you are appropriating anyone elses culture.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

the trump tutelage posted:

Statements like:

and

... sound nice and empowering but also suggests that there is something essential to the queer experience that immediately justifies a queer person's opinion and disqualifies a straight person's, or that queer people have access to special knowledge that is inaccessible to straights. I don't think that stands up to much scrutiny. Take, for example, a TERF lesbian who doesn't think gay trans women should be allowed in the dyke march. Is her opinion more valid than a straight cisgendered trans ally? What about a gay cis-male's opinion? He's queer but he's not a lesbian; is the TERFs opinion more legitimate than his? What about a bisexual woman in a hetero relationship who's been sheltered by privilege all her life, is she entitled to have her voice heard? If not, then are we saying only queer opinions are valid, or only the right opinions by the right types of queer people?

It's a stupid way of thinking that's more about policing borders and maintaining in-group purity than it is about achieving anything in the wider culture.

You should probably take into account that my quote there was a run-up to gently pointing out that someone might not have the perspective needed to fully understand the motivations behind the position he was arguing against, and that the other quote was basically empty snark. People running their mouths about things they absolutely don't understand is a very real and very frustrating constant in any public discussion, and those being spoken over have every right to be frustrated by it.

TERFs tend to range from misguided kids swallowing harmful ideology to astonishingly vicious, predatory people who relentlessly harass and demonize some of our most vulnerable peers; their leadership is complete poo poo, they are harmful to the queer community, and I don't think its possible to use them as a comparative example in a good-faith discussion.

I'm not totally sure where the rest of your weird identity politics wedge argument is coming from, to be frank. It seems like a bit of a non-sequitur at this point.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

David Corbett posted:

Regardless of the rightness of their opinions, it's pretty hard to imagine BLM Toronto coming out of this looking good. Judging by public opinion on this matter, their victory is Pyrhhic at best.

Really? Have you consulted the public in this matter? Did you conduct a poll?

Everyone agreed BLM's demands were spot-on and Toronto Pride signed off on them on the spot. Except for the Toronto Police Service, who say they are upset because they are being excluded from "an event that is supposed to be so inclusive."

MA-Horus posted:

So are LGBTQ2S TPS officers now banned from Pride? That doesn't seem right.

They are still welcome to attend, just not on duty in uniform on a float about how great the police are.

I applaud BLM TO for turning an unflattering spotlight on white cis het "allies" who have Very Important Opinions about pride and how it should run and who should be included.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 4, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ikantski posted:

The woman that they interviewed during the latter half of that clip, Sandy Hudson, basically stole $277k from the University of Toronto student union right before leaving: http://thevarsity.ca/2015/09/24/utsu-sues-former-executive-director-president-vice-president-internal-and-services/

Highlights: 2 years of salary for dismissal + over 2500 hours of overtime, conveniently all filed for right after being dismissed

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ambrose Burnside posted:

is it really so loving hard for us straight people to stop doing lovely queer entryisms and watering pillars of the lgbt struggle down into some godawful hey-me-too-this-is-cool horseshit. not everything has to be ours, no matter how 'cool' it is

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

You should probably take into account that my quote there was a run-up to gently pointing out that someone might not have the perspective needed to fully understand the motivations behind the position he was arguing against, and that the other quote was basically empty snark. People running their mouths about things they absolutely don't understand is a very real and very frustrating constant in any public discussion, and those being spoken over have every right to be frustrated by it.

TERFs tend to range from misguided kids swallowing harmful ideology to astonishingly vicious, predatory people who relentlessly harass and demonize some of our most vulnerable peers; their leadership is complete poo poo, they are harmful to the queer community, and I don't think its possible to use them as a comparative example in a good-faith discussion.

I'm not totally sure where the rest of your weird identity politics wedge argument is coming from, to be frank. It seems like a bit of a non-sequitur at this point.
I don't think we're having a good faith discussion if yours and Pinterest Mom's posts were empty snark. However, it's been the case elsewhere on the wacky wild internet that people put the cart before the horse vis a vis the validity of arguments from people outside the group in question. In those cases I think TERF example illustrates pretty what's wrong with presupposing the rightness or wrongness of an argument based on the identitarian tribe the arguer belongs to.

Didn't mean to sound snarky on my end though, sorry.

Baronjutter's post/sources captured my specific complaints about identity politics much better than my bad post did, though:

Baronjutter posted:

"But operating under the same schema as a more simplified identity politics, intersectionality theory serves to isolate multiple and seemingly endless identity standpoints, without sufficiently articulating them with each other, or the forms of domination. The upshot in political practice is a static pluralism of reified social categories, each vying for more-subaltern-than-thou status on a field of one-downsmanship. While it may be useful for sociologists attempting to describe groups and their struggles with power, as a political theory, it is useless, or worse. This is because, by ending with the identification and isolation of its various constituencies, it in fact serves to sever the connections that it supposedly sought to understand and strengthen. The practical upshot of intersectionality theory is the perpetual articulation of difference, resulting in fragmentation and the stagnation of political activity "

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll just stop going with my queer friends to Pride and taking it over apparently.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My post wasn't empty snark. Pride is a queer space. I'm not interested in hearing straight peoples' opinions about how we should run it. There's a debate to be had about inclusion or exclusion of groups like police in Pride, but we've got it covered without y'all's opinions and concerns about tactics or respectability.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The only people torn apart over this are the police, and supporters of the police and authoritarians. IE: people upset that a parade against oppression was temporarily delayed while the people at the head of the parade took a moment to protest their oppression.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

My post wasn't empty snark. Pride is a queer space. I'm not interested in hearing straight peoples' opinions about how we should run it. There's a debate to be had about inclusion or exclusion of groups like police in Pride, but we've got it covered without y'all's opinions and concerns about tactics or respectability.
Then answer the question. Does "we" mean all queer people or just the right-thinking kind?

I'd get the silencing tactics if this were the fabgoon thread and a bunch of cis het shitlords were invading, but this is the CanPol Megathread.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Trump tutelage I get that you think "the gays" are being pushed around and "strong-armed" by these tribalistic dark skinned thugs and we need Allies to swoop in and play referee but we're actually fine, no really, we don't need your assistance here.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the trump tutelage posted:

Then answer the question. Does "we" mean all queer people or just the right-thinking kind?

You know, I think you might be dumb.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

You know, I think you might be dumb.

That's not an answer.

Are you perhaps wishing, deep inside, that you had silencing powers over trump tutelage again? That you could quash his wrongthink? That you could suppress such a ... problematic viewpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

THC posted:

Trump tutelage I get that you think "the gays" are being pushed around and "strong-armed" by these tribalistic dark skinned thugs and we need Allies to swoop in and play referee but we're actually fine, no really, we don't need your assistance here.
You're precious.