Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

That sweet sweet Chandra flavor text. The movie script is going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

How is that a flavor fail?

In his headcannon Liliana kills Jace and dates the real hero, The Angry Grimace

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There was a time when red aggro was happy to play with Volcanic Hammer.

e: also, there are definitely some 3-toughness creatures where the exiling is quite relevant.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
PRINT MORE U AND R INSTANTS YOU FUCKERS

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Incendiary Flow is a good card

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

gently caress you Wizards, just reprint Volcanic Hammer already so I can use my sweet JSS ones!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If there is a delirium deck I could Liliana and her oath both in it, the 2nd oath puts one in the yard for card types. Liliana is self mill and let's you get back your demon/frog that got milled by vessel or whatever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

Better than nothing, imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Really I think people's frame of evaluation when it comes to 3 mana walkers is just absurdly off-base. Like Domri had a +1 that's worth fractions of a card and doesn't affect the board and a -2 that's a bad 1 mana spell. It was still a good card.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 4, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Really I think people's frame of evaluation when it comes to 3 mana walkers is just absurdly off-base. Like Domri had a +1 that's worth fractions of a card and doesn't effect the board and a -2 that's a bad 1 mana spell. It was still a good card.

Wasn't this because RG aggro was a house of a deck in the standard environment he was printed in?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

We will never ever have Lightning Strike again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Wasn't this because RG aggro was a house of a deck in the standard environment he was printed in?
Yeah, but the deck could've chosen to play different cards if Domri was bad

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
gently caress it, I'll take it.

Wait, does Dragons of Tarkir rotate out when Electronic Dance Music is released?

GeneX posted:

PRINT MORE U AND R INSTANTS YOU FUCKERS
Also this.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, does Dragons of Tarkir rotate out when Electronic Dance Music is released?

DTK will stick around until Kaladesh comes in.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

No DTK and ORI are gone with Kaladesh.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh thank gently caress, I'll have a functional red deck for 2 months.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Really I think people's frame of evaluation when it comes to 3 mana walkers is just absurdly off-base. Like Domri had a +1 that's worth fractions of a card and doesn't effect the board and a -2 that's a bad 1 mana spell. It was still a good card.

I don't think anybody is saying she is unplayable trash, it is just that she doesn't make much of an impression against the dominant decks atm, and those are getting a bunch of good stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a black staple after rotation, because she's a 3 mana walker with a good +1. But until then, welp, the rest of the set better be good.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Evaluating cards solely on how viable they are for the next 2-3 months is not a good idea.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Angry Grimace posted:

If you hit land you don't get anything.

It's not "Of the two cards you discard" it's "In the bin" considering the Madness and Delirium theme of the set, wanting to discard and get card types into your bin, I can see the strength for this? Boss got dumped? Eh, two card cost and it's back in your hand. I don't know how this would work in Delve and Dredge in Modern. It definitely works in Madness and Delirium.

As for her +1. Sure it's not great, but I mean there are worse +1s. Makes it hard to block, can take out 3/1s it has flexibility. Sure it's not -2/-2 which would have been nice. I don't know if it's Standard Playable or going to top, but I can see uses.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

-2/-2 would have been loving broken. Stop acting like that's a +1 they could print on a 3 mana walker.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

Volcanic Hammer is good you clod.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Problem: too many X/3s and fatter in the format

Solution: print a busted planeswalker that fucks anything with less than 3 toughness into oblivion

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Actually I just realized that new Lili goes into my Zombie EDH deck that I never finished, card (and set) redeemed.

ShaneB posted:

That sweet sweet Chandra flavor text. The movie script is going to be amazing.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the new focus on planeswalker funtimes is being pushed by C-level management to make Magic "easier" to market and to give it more recognizable faces, possibly with the movie in mind. I don't think it's a coincidence that the sets that have introduced the concept of the Gatewatch were first being planned not long after the first Avengers movie came out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tubgoat posted:

Enjoy that sorcery speed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Enjoy that sorcery speed.

I played Volcanic Hammer 15 years ago and I'll play it now if it's the most cost-efficient burn they're willing to give red while every other color gets oceanliners full of value.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Tubgoat posted:

I played Volcanic Hammer 15 years ago and I'll play it now if it's the most cost-efficient burn they're willing to give red while every other color gets oceanliners full of value.

I'm probably sticking off red until Dromoka's Command either rotates out or people stop playing it all the drat time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oath of Liliana actually seems pretty good. If you play one planeswalker it's basically kicked Gatekeeper of Malakir.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I like that design is experimenting with their cross-block goal of making return to plane sets hot piles of garbage - it's a really noticeable design goal across Zendikar and Innistrad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

But SOI was good?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well we can't have them all be return to ravnica, then we would have too many good cards. And if there are too many good cards rosewater will only greenlight lovely car- oh wait.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sarmhan posted:

Evaluating cards solely on how viable they are for the next 2-3 months is not a good idea.

That's how long standard lasts, in three months she'll be rotated out for Chillwave Elspeth

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

i don't care, volcanic hammer with a slight upside is fine with me

also chandra channeling her inner jaya ballard is cool

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lol at everyone being so angry in this thread. Liliana is good and will definitely see play in standard.

Reminder of other planeswalkers that this thread deemed garbage and unplayable when they were spoiled

Ashiok ("Oh boy a mill walker")
Elspeth, Sun's Champion ("too expensive")
Jace, Telepath Unbound ("who would want their merfolk looter to turn into bad snapcaster")
Sorin, Solemn Visitor ("irrelevent abilities")
Chandra, Flamecaller ("not elspeth")

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well we can't have them all be return to ravnica, then we would have too many good cards. And if there are too many good cards rosewater will only greenlight lovely car- oh wait.

RTR was garbage

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The goon hive mind strikes again, wrap it up boys, you've been loving tea lizarded by Fish of Doom

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

The goon hive mind strikes again, wrap it up boys, you've been loving tea lizarded by Fish of Doom

That fish... dies to Doom Blade. :smug:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That fish... dies to Doom Blade. :smug:

I never claimed to be eternal playable

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I'm going crazy, every single burn spell is just so close to being good, what is wrong with WOTC?!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This is y'alls penance for constantly complaining that there's never been a good red card printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
New Lili is going in my Gitrog deck. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

• Locked thread