Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Can you use the button on a cellphone earbud mic to trigger the camera?

e: possibly important to note i have a samsung s7

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Xandu posted:

The hinges on my laptop somehow got stuck and now it's broken into two pieces (the screen and the rest of it). Otherwise it's in perfect condition. I suspect this not going to be covered by my warranty, does anyone have any ballpark idea of how expensive this will be to replace?

If you do it yourself, it can be dirt cheap. Do a search for the laptop model number and the word hinge. You'll find the replacement part you need, and quite possibly the stories of other people who've had the exact same thing happen, and exactly how they fixed it. It's also probably not hard to find a pdf of the official service manual that'll show you how to disassemble it and get to those hinges -- do another search of the laptop model and words like teardown or disassembly or service manual.

I've brought laptops with busted hinges back to perfect condition, with nothing more than a ten-dollar set of replacements from ebay and an hour of quality time with all the fiddly little screws and connectors. It's all modular and everything is replaceable. (Unless of course it's an Apple, which has an official self-service policy of "no, and gently caress you for trying".)

If you aren't confident of your ability to take a laptop apart (although really, it's just a matter of following the instructions and keeping track of all the screws), find a friend who works in IT and bribe him with his favorite beer to help you out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anticipate the breaking of ALL the plastic clips, laptop guy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

(edit for clarity) Will chicken and/or beef I buy at the local butcher and vacuum-seal at home with a FoodSaver last a whole week in the refrigerator, or would it still need to be frozen for safety?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 4, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

(edit for clarity) Will chicken and/or beef I buy at the local butcher and vacuum-seal at home with a FoodSaver last a whole week in the refrigerator, or would it still need to be frozen for safety?

My fancy local butcher meat usually lasts about 3-5 days in the fridge and forever in the freezer. My instinct is that the vacuum sealing will have absolutely no effect. It's great for preventing freezer burn but your meat is already crawling with bacteria and keeping it cold slows down the rot but it's not like the seal is perfect or there aren't other things in the meat that can't just keep trucking along anaerobically and ruin your food anyway.

Cooking it helps a ton, though. So you can just cook it up as soon as you buy it and buy yourself like four weeks in the fridge.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

tuyop posted:

My fancy local butcher meat usually lasts about 3-5 days in the fridge and forever in the freezer. My instinct is that the vacuum sealing will have absolutely no effect. It's great for preventing freezer burn but your meat is already crawling with bacteria and keeping it cold slows down the rot but it's not like the seal is perfect or there aren't other things in the meat that can't just keep trucking along anaerobically and ruin your food anyway.

Cooking it helps a ton, though. So you can just cook it up as soon as you buy it and buy yourself like four weeks in the fridge.

Also just going off instinct here but preserving meat also tends to ruin the flavor as well. I mean if you're just getting cheap meat for stew don't worry about it but if you are doing this to good steaks I WILL FIND YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That was the main reason I asked, yeah. Steak or chicken I've frozen raw at home--even in a vacuum bag--just ends up ranging from nasty to meh when cooked; food I've cooked then packed and refrigerated comes out better, but not by much. I was hoping I could buy a week's worth of chicken breast, wings, whatever, keep it reasonably fresh in the fridge and cook at will.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Ciaphas posted:

That was the main reason I asked, yeah. Steak or chicken I've frozen raw at home--even in a vacuum bag--just ends up ranging from nasty to meh when cooked; food I've cooked then packed and refrigerated comes out better, but not by much. I was hoping I could buy a week's worth of chicken breast, wings, whatever, keep it reasonably fresh in the fridge and cook at will.

Going on a roll here with advice about subjects I know nothing about but in my experience chicken tends to keep it's flavor a lot better than beef.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Subject: File Conversion

I have a couple hundred .wps (older Microsoft word processor) files I'd like to convert to .docx.

Is there a way to do a bulk conversion? One that doesn't involve opening each document and clicking Save As.

Thank you for any insight!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ProperCoochie posted:

I have a couple hundred .wps (older Microsoft word processor) files I'd like to convert to .docx.

Is there a way to do a bulk conversion? One that doesn't involve opening each document and clicking Save As.

This thing for later versions of Microsoft Word can mass-convert dozens of WPS files to modern DOCX at once, but can be a pain to get going the first time. Give it a try: http://www.gmayor.com/works_batch_converter.htm

You will probably need to manually fix the output files if the originals have very complicated formatting, because that may not survive the conversion properly.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ProperCoochie posted:

Maybe make an autohot key script to automate the clicking for you. I don't know if there is any commandline tool available for that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I buy my stuff already frozen most of the time. I think the sequence of most meat you buy is:

Animal
Slaughtered
Butchered
Frozen
Thawed
Sold
Frozen
Cooked

I mean, nobody's shipping that poo poo thousands of km raw.

Quality poo poo is from a local farm, abattoir, and butcher, so it's like:

Animal
Slaughtered
Butchered
Frozen
Thawed
Cooked
Sometimes Frozen
Sometimes Thawed
Eaten

And I think it's the multiple cycles of freeze-thaw that ruins food. Most of us have probably only rarely eaten meat that wasn't frozen at least once.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How long would an unopened glass jar of feta stuffed olives submerged in brine last in my pantry? I bought them nigh-on a year ago and there is no expiry date anywhere, the pop top is still sealed.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nuclear War posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Study Across the Pond or know of any similar companies/services?

A little background: I'm Norwegian, living in the US with my American wife. She wants to go to school, and I want to go back to Europe, so we figured we'd go to a European country where she'd feel slightly more at home, or at least be able to speak the language. With that in mind we picked UK or Ireland (we picked before #brexit but I'm not really worried about that long as we go before it hypothetically happens).

With that in mind we're starting to look for schooling opportunities for her -she wants nursing- and since its a hella complicated process using an agency like SAtP or similar would be very helpful.

Any agency that works in the UK or Ireland would be interesting to us.

Find a local university and ask someone. A lot of state schools have study abroad programs that go to various places in Europe and elsewhere. I had friends study in Japan and Mexico and a bunch of people in some classes went to Prague for a month or so for study.

The university probably would want your wife to enroll in their program and do whatever partial study abroad they offer, but they may be able to give you leads, or you might find their program works for you.

Nursing may be pretty complex to do abroad if she wants to come back and work in America due to different standards, processes, and requirements, but I have no experience with that beyond reading the healthcare stories thread.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Xandu posted:

The hinges on my laptop somehow got stuck and now it's broken into two pieces (the screen and the rest of it). Otherwise it's in perfect condition. I suspect this not going to be covered by my warranty, does anyone have any ballpark idea of how expensive this will be to replace?

I had this happen to me last year on a cheap little chromebook I used for surfing the web. I drilled some holes in the back cover, used pop-rivets to reattach the screen to the computer, smeared some silicone sealant on the back to cover up the rivets and keep the edges from catching on anything, and it worked perfectly well for another 8 months after that until the processor fried.

I mean, it looked like poo poo, but it cost me literally 94 cents worth of material and got me an extra 2/3 of a year out of the machine. :shrug:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

How long would an unopened glass jar of feta stuffed olives submerged in brine last in my pantry? I bought them nigh-on a year ago and there is no expiry date anywhere, the pop top is still sealed.

They're fine, enjoy your martinis.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

fishmech posted:

Does the screen still work? Worst comes to worst, you can buy some metal hinges from hardware store and superglue that stuff on.

Anyway what would really matter is what brand and model the laptop is. Tons of them actually use parts that can be quite cheap, if a bit annoying to install yourself.
I'm kinda hardcore, but this was my first reaction. Two home depot hinges and a tube of crazy glue, $10. I don't have any idea what the cost for a replacement laptop case is, but absolute bottom dollar would be $100, and more likely, labor included, $300+. Plus, you'd look totally badass with a laptop with strap hinges superglued to it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm planning a family reunion for 21 adults and 7 kids next week. We're having sandwiches for lunch. We have three lunches planned, and I have sandwiches planned for all three.

How much lunch meat would you buy?

To spare myself having to describe every member of my family to you, assume that for every 2 year old that will eat 0.25 sandwich, there is a fatass 40 year old that will eat 1.75 sandwiches.

Include in your assumption the fact that some people (skinny 19 year old types) will skip lunch, a couple people will probably have not eaten breakfast (hangovers, y'know) so double down at lunch. Presumably people will be tired of sandwiches by day 3 and eat less.

In short, I already picked a number based on some skill and some random guess, and I'm curious to know if your number matches with mine.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

photomikey posted:

I'm planning a family reunion for 21 adults and 7 kids next week. We're having sandwiches for lunch. We have three lunches planned, and I have sandwiches planned for all three.

How much lunch meat would you buy?

To spare myself having to describe every member of my family to you, assume that for every 2 year old that will eat 0.25 sandwich, there is a fatass 40 year old that will eat 1.75 sandwiches.

Include in your assumption the fact that some people (skinny 19 year old types) will skip lunch, a couple people will probably have not eaten breakfast (hangovers, y'know) so double down at lunch. Presumably people will be tired of sandwiches by day 3 and eat less.

In short, I already picked a number based on some skill and some random guess, and I'm curious to know if your number matches with mine.

I think the amount of meat per sandwich will vary greatly depending on the quantity, quality, and variety of meats available.

I could put a quarter pound of a high quality roast beef in a single sandwich, but if there's only Oscar Mayer bologna, I would use much less.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The big issue with freezing meat is the method. Commercial freezing is done with blast chillers that get the meat frozen quickly to little ill effect. When you freeze meat in your home freezer, it happens slower, so the ice crystals have more time to grow and pop a lot of the cell membranes, which gives it that funky texture you get sometimes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
In one of the Highlander movies Sean Connery is on a plane talking to a woman. The subject of blondes vs brunettes comes up and leans over and whispers into her ear something like "brunettes like to sit on men's faces". Is this true?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm using a Samsung Note 5, and there seems to be a void in the center-right-hand edge where I can't draw/write anything with the stylus. It's a perfect circle that coincides with the placement of the radial menu for the stylus, so I have to assume it's deliberate. Any way to turn it off?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

In one of the Highlander movies Sean Connery is on a plane talking to a woman. The subject of blondes vs brunettes comes up and leans over and whispers into her ear something like "brunettes like to sit on men's faces". Is this true?

You mean is it true that this scene is in the movie or is it true that something as superficial (and easily changeable) as hair colour can be use to make absolute statements about very complex behavioural patterns?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Guys, seriously, don't superglue hinges. It's a terrible idea. find some that can be screwed in where the original holes are, or use rivets, or something, because supergluing them is just a waste of money. On something like a hinge, that's constantly being moved, where the forces are going to transition as the hinge folds or unfolds, and is going to get hot because it's part of a computer, superglue will fail incredibly fast. That's not a job for glue, use a mechanical means of attachment. Hell, zip-tie the loving thing, that'll last way longer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or epoxy

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Namarrgon posted:

You mean is it true that this scene is in the movie or is it true that something as superficial (and easily changeable) as hair colour can be use to make absolute statements about very complex behavioural patterns?

Yeah. So is it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Captain Bravo posted:

Guys, seriously, don't superglue hinges. It's a terrible idea. find some that can be screwed in where the original holes are, or use rivets, or something, because supergluing them is just a waste of money. On something like a hinge, that's constantly being moved, where the forces are going to transition as the hinge folds or unfolds, and is going to get hot because it's part of a computer, superglue will fail incredibly fast. That's not a job for glue, use a mechanical means of attachment. Hell, zip-tie the loving thing, that'll last way longer.

Nah I had a set superglued on a laptop for like 4 years and it worked just fine. Hideous though.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

lazydog posted:

I think the amount of meat per sandwich will vary greatly depending on the quantity, quality, and variety of meats available.

I could put a quarter pound of a high quality roast beef in a single sandwich, but if there's only Oscar Mayer bologna, I would use much less.
Supermarket deli meat or costco sandwich meat. Mid to high grade stuff. I'm less looking for a book-accurate answer than I am a couple of spitball estimates to see if I'm in the neighborhood. I estimated 6 sandwiches per pound, but I don't think everyone will eat a sandwich, so I think we will probably trend toward 1/4 pound each. There are sides, too.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I think you may be dedicating too much of your life to this sandwich-allocation-and-distribution algorithm.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks. I'm sinking a couple hundred bucks into lunchmeat. Underages result in hungry people, and overages result in waste. When I was swilling beer and making a shopping list last night, I thought to myself... There has never been a more stupid/small question than this one. Apparently it's just one more of life's unanswered questions.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
At this point, you might as well just cook some hams/buy some whole salami things and then cut it as you need it. It won't really be wastage because it keeps and you can use it in other things. $200 seems like a lot to spend on lunchmeats.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just go to the deli, and ask them that you're making 40 ham sandwiches, 40 turkey sandwiches and 40 pastrami sandwiches. Or whatever. They'll shave a few slices off and say, "is this enough for one sandwich?" When you say, "Yes," they'll weight it, then keep slicing until they have 40 times that. Those people probably know more about sandwich construction than any of us, and you're probably not the first person they've ever heard that sort of question from.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I buy my stuff already frozen most of the time. I think the sequence of most meat you buy is:

Animal
Slaughtered
Butchered
Frozen
Thawed
Sold
Frozen
Cooked

I mean, nobody's shipping that poo poo thousands of km raw.

Quality poo poo is from a local farm, abattoir, and butcher, so it's like:

Animal
Slaughtered
Butchered
Frozen
Thawed
Cooked
Sometimes Frozen
Sometimes Thawed
Eaten

And I think it's the multiple cycles of freeze-thaw that ruins food. Most of us have probably only rarely eaten meat that wasn't frozen at least once.

This is definitely not true for those of us in the Midwest, at least. A cow can be slaughtered within 500 miles of a city and delivered fresh to a grocery store via refrigerated truck in a day, and there's no meat that is going to go bad in that amount of time. The meat is either butchered at the slaughterhouse or delivered in smaller pieces to grocery stores. Even stuff like Perdue brand chickens are raised on brand-associated farms across the country and they don't need to be frozen for a regional delivery on a refrigerated truck.

Of course you will find plenty of meat older than this in stores, but that doesn't mean it has been frozen.

There are a fuckton of truck drivers in this country, and many, many, many of them are transporting your food to a store within days of its harvest. I don't know if this holds true in major cities outside the Midwest but I'm hard-pressed to think of a major city in the continental US that isn't within a day's truck drive from agriculture.

Edit: I am quite confident that nearly all the meat I purchase has never been frozen and I live downtown in a city of slightly less than a million people in a flyover state.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I hope there's some word experts here. Leucomelanous means "having dark hair and eyes, and fair skin." Are there other words similar to this in that they describe physical attributes like hair/skin color? Like 'having fair hair and dark skin' and such?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wedemeyer posted:

I hope there's some word experts here. Leucomelanous means "having dark hair and eyes, and fair skin." Are there other words similar to this in that they describe physical attributes like hair/skin color? Like 'having fair hair and dark skin' and such?

Albino'd be the obvious one, but the only other thing I can think of in English is maybe swarthy, although that's mostly just skin color, rather than overall coloration (although broadly speaking, you'd not ordinarily expect to describe someone as "swarthy, but blonde as hell").

There's a word in portuguese that means more or less the same thing (moreno, or something like that), so I imagine "brownish" is a relatively universal sort of descriptor, at least as far as European languages go.

Obviously, if you only want a single attribute, like hair color or skin color, there's plenty.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wedemeyer posted:

Albino'd be the obvious one, but the only other thing I can think of in English is maybe swarthy, although that's mostly just skin color, rather than overall coloration (although broadly speaking, you'd not ordinarily expect to describe someone as "swarthy, but blonde as hell").

There's a word in portuguese that means more or less the same thing (moreno, or something like that), so I imagine "brownish" is a relatively universal sort of descriptor, at least as far as European languages go.

Obviously, if you only want a single attribute, like hair color or skin color, there's plenty.

photomikey posted:

Thanks. I'm sinking a couple hundred bucks into lunchmeat. Underages result in hungry people, and overages result in waste. When I was swilling beer and making a shopping list last night, I thought to myself... There has never been a more stupid/small question than this one. Apparently it's just one more of life's unanswered questions.

I mean, you could just assume you're making 45 sandwiches a day (that's 1.5/person), and then you have whatever arbitrary amount of meat you think equals a sandwich. But really, to be safe you'd have to buy more than that, and resign yourself to having a bunch of leftover ham or whatever. After all, unless you're also making the sandwiches and then locking all the meat up, it's not like they're all going to be made with equal amounts of meat/lettuce/condiments/&c. anyway. Plus, there's always the possibility of someone wanting a sandwich at like 2am or whatever.

Enjoy the next week of endless sandwiches.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Wedemeyer posted:

This is mostly just some old fashioned anthropological terminology. There's probably a deep well of pseudoscientific adjectives to mine in 19th century anthropology, lots of them pretty racist. I think most people just use racial words like "Aryan" to describe skin and hair in one word.

Leucous, fair hair/pale skin.
Leucomelanous, dark hair/pale skin
Xanthomelanous, dark hair/olive skin
Melanous, dark hair, dark skin

Jeza fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 5, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Is there such a thing as an online book club? If there is, how can I tell if it's a good one?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there such a thing as an online book club? If there is, how can I tell if it's a good one?

Yes there are lots of them on sites like Goodreads and there are various smaller genre-themed book forums scattered around the internet as well. You can find out if it's a good one by talking with some of the members and finding out what kind of books they read and how active they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Have you checked the book barn?