Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Zand posted:

reposting this

Added you. Down to play most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

reposting this

What's that xmvsf link again? Need the info..

E: I will play anyone in exactly 1.5 days. Sorry to the peeps I had to turn down bc of injury

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 4, 2016

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

maybe 'esports' is in fact bad for fighting games

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't think Melee is esports. For one thing, no one would sponsor a smelly Melee player. It would look bad on the product.

I still have no idea why Melee is even on EVO. Can't be Nintendo paying for it since exposure to that game doesn't bring further sales for the newer game they are actually selling. In fact, Nintendo doesn't sell Gamecubes, Melee discs, or CRT TVs either, so how would they profit from it? Like, Mr Wizard likes money, and Nintendo wants people to buy Pokken and Smash 4. How did Melee get into this equation?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think Melee is esports. For one thing, no one would sponsor a smelly Melee player. It would look bad on the product.

I still have no idea why Melee is even on EVO. Can't be Nintendo paying for it since exposure to that game doesn't bring further sales for the newer game they are actually selling. In fact, Nintendo doesn't sell Gamecubes, Melee discs, or CRT TVs either, so how would they profit from it? Like, Mr Wizard likes money, and Nintendo wants people to buy Pokken and Smash 4. How did Melee get into this equation?

because_melee_gets_a_shitload_of_entrants_and_viewers

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Saoshyant posted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from entrants. If you're running a tourney, the massive headaches from Smash players are potentially somewhat worth it just because of the number of entrants they bring. You can literally announce a tournament with Smash in it in your garage and you'll probably have 40 white dudes carting a bunch of CRT's to your garage within the hour.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Also, work is sending me on a trip to Vegas so I decided to extend it for the weekend to attend EVO (despite not touching SFV in months). Can you goons that are going to EVO hit me up, please? I'll be all lonely and poo poo, just like all business trips.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Give it to me straight people. If I want to get drunk and thrashed online while holding an expensive arcade stick, should I install sfv or buy the new gg? Do people actually play the latter or is it a ghost town? Tia.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
give it to me, straight people

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hedonist posted:

Give it to me straight people. If I want to get drunk and thrashed online while holding an expensive arcade stick, should I install sfv or buy the new gg? Do people actually play the latter or is it a ghost town? Tia.

Gameplay aside, SFV has incredibly unstable online play that 1)will poo poo out one good 5 bar connections that experience no issues in other games and 2)does this asymmetrically, so one player is fine while the other can't play

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Sure.

Unless you know people that play GG or are willing to talk random people into playing you, as much as it pains me to say so, just do SFV. The main reason why I played a bunch of SF4 was because I could just go online, set up a lobby and find players. When I tried doing that with Xrd on PC I just sat on my hands for 30min.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Happy Hedonist posted:

You want to play Dungeon Fighter Online

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I'm gay.

I don't like what I'm reading but I guess I'll just install sfv and then go invade people in dark souls 3 some more. Or maybe I'll buy the new GG and wait for crazy people to kick my rear end before quitting so I can wait some more. I wish I knew people who liked fighters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

buy guilty gear and play sin

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^Hell yeah

Happy Hedonist posted:

Xrd Rev is probably the best fighting game that's been released recently, between visuals, mechanics, and in-game tutorials. SFV has issues with online but has a ton of people playing it if you're looking for someone to play with. Other options are Fightcade, which is free and lets your play older games with a smaller but dedicated base of users, and also Killer Instinct which is free to download on W10 or XBox and has a free character rotation every week, and you can purchase individual seasons in the game itself.

What console do you play on?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

bhsman posted:

What console do you play on?

Ps4. I might give fightcade a try though now that you mention it because my PC isn't half bad and I'm a crazy person who misses alpha 3.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really wish CPS3 games would come around to being cracked or whatever. I miss CVS2.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Dont worry about getting murdered thats gonna happen no matter what you play, take pleasure in the learning experience like that guy in rocky horror

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

I really wish CPS3 games would come around to being cracked or whatever. I miss CVS2.

You can play CPS3 games, Jojos and SF3 are CPS3. CVS2 is Naomi (as is Marvel 2).

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Once Naomi and Atomiswave are finally emulated and on FightCade I can give the finger to new fighting games forever.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Endorph posted:

buy guilty gear and play sin

Weird way to spell sol.

After spending a few hours doing solo practice in SFV and bodying a few people in ranked I think I'm actually enjoying this game now. Feels good to realize you put someone into panic mode and you can stay out of their jab range and sweep them over and over.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 5, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got to sit down with my buddy and play ~100 matches of Soul Calibur V again. Been way too long. In fact, this is the first time we've done this since our group picked up SFV, and it's... quite a shift going back. There's almost no pressure that leaves you at +frames, most moves are the equivalent of overheads (they hit crouch-blocks), there's a million target combos/strings (and more moves in general), and there are no invincible reversals.

Learning SFV has definitely made me much better at distancing and whiff punishing/baiting. On the other hand, it's made me want to stupidly press a million buttons rather than accepting that my string is over and I need to block oh god counter hits why. And it is so, so hard to play a fighting game where I can't just uppercut out of pressure situations. There's a reason I only play SFV characters with meterless invincible reversals. Blocking is hard (especially when overheads lead to big damage and the wrong throw can ring you out).

On the other hand, I still love running the Yoshimitsu vortex. :getin:

Goddamnit, we need a new Soul Calibur. One that they have time to properly finish, unlike V. I'm still hoping that it's in the queue behind Tekken and they just don't want to distract from the Tekken hype machine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're still working on Pokken, from the sounds of things. There's another character coming soon.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Corbeau posted:

Finally got to sit down with my buddy and play ~100 matches of Soul Calibur V again. Been way too long. In fact, this is the first time we've done this since our group picked up SFV, and it's... quite a shift going back. There's almost no pressure that leaves you at +frames, most moves are the equivalent of overheads (they hit crouch-blocks), there's a million target combos/strings (and more moves in general), and there are no invincible reversals.

Learning SFV has definitely made me much better at distancing and whiff punishing/baiting. On the other hand, it's made me want to stupidly press a million buttons rather than accepting that my string is over and I need to block oh god counter hits why. And it is so, so hard to play a fighting game where I can't just uppercut out of pressure situations. There's a reason I only play SFV characters with meterless invincible reversals. Blocking is hard (especially when overheads lead to big damage and the wrong throw can ring you out).

On the other hand, I still love running the Yoshimitsu vortex. :getin:

Goddamnit, we need a new Soul Calibur. One that they have time to properly finish, unlike V. I'm still hoping that it's in the queue behind Tekken and they just don't want to distract from the Tekken hype machine.
Its pokken. Pokken is the new soul game you're looking for

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zand posted:

Its pokken. Pokken is the new soul game you're looking for

... No.

I really hope the next Soul Calibur is PC. Tekken 7 is, after all, so I can hope.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

Once Naomi and Atomiswave are finally emulated and on FightCade I can give the finger to new fighting games forever.

This is unlikely to happen. NAOMI and Atomiswave are Dreamcast-based machines, and Final Burn Alpha isn't really geared towards emulating 3D hardware. You could get DEMUL and set it up for netplay, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pokken is the new soul calibur

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Speaking of GG, wich one is a good entry for a complete newbie at these games? GG X2 #Reload is on sale on steam for 3€ and Xrd has the best reviews (I don't usually trust this but seems that players wanted this one badly on steam).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Speaking of GG, wich one is a good entry for a complete newbie at these games? GG X2 #Reload is on sale on steam for 3€ and Xrd has the best reviews (I don't usually trust this but seems that players wanted this one badly on steam).

Xrd is a great entry with a great tutorial

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Fight me in xrd let's GOOOO

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Guillermus posted:

If you have a PS4 then Revelator has an amazing tutorial, but even the one in Sign is pretty good.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah the tutorial in Revelator is the best I've played in a fighting game, bar none. If you can get through it and still not understand how to play the game you're hopeless.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Guillermus posted:

The Xrd on Steam is the first game "Sign". The second game "Revelator" was released on console last month and you should get that if you own a PS3 or PS4.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Corbeau posted:

... No.

I really hope the next Soul Calibur is PC. Tekken 7 is, after all, so I can hope.

You might not like it but he's right, Pokken is the new SC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy crap KOFXIV comes out in like 6 weeks.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Brosnan posted:

You might not like it but he's right, Pokken is the new SC.

great way to kill aris's hopes and dreams

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

In Training posted:

Holy crap KOFXIV comes out in like 6 weeks.

I can't believe the savior of fighting games comes out next month

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually Revelator came out in June

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fruitsnacks posted:

The Xrd on Steam is the first game "Sign". The second game "Revelator" was released on console last month and you should get that if you own a PS3 or PS4.

PC and Xbox360 here. I may get a PS4 next year but right now just PC for fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Actually Revelator came out in June

+R came out in 2014 though?