Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Splizwarf posted:

Yoga mats in raucous colors from Five Below. $5/each and $10 will do ya, and they're oil resistant (ew). It's washable if your poo poo gets mega-nasty. You can buy multiple colors and Dap Weldwood or Shoe Goo them together if you want to make cutout shadow mats like aircraft pros use.

I like bright turquoise or teal in a red box because I think it's a lot easier to find tools against a bright background that none of them match, as opposed to black mats or grey or whatever.

Yoga mat drawer liners is genius! I use yoga blocks as isolating speaker stands, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I love the yoga mat idea and will have to steal it once I am highbrow enough to actually have toolboxes instead of a big overstuffed toolbag I keep in the back of my shitcan.

Crimps are a one-way thing but sometimes if you get lucky you can remove them by, yes, turning them 90 degrees and crimping again gently until the wire will come out.

If it's a big enough crimp terminal and $9/ft cable and you really really can't afford to cut another 1.5" off the drat cable (because it's 25' long and needs to not be 1.5" shorter) so you can put the ring terminal on the way you should have in the first place though, you use a Bridgeport and a 1/4" endmill, then a pair of channel lock pliers to remove the crimp:

Then you crimp the proper lug (top right, the one that I had to mill to shape to clear the insulation barriers on the top of the contactor) on, good thing each one only costs $16:

It's amusing to me that removing a huge crimp lug is easier to do precisely than removing a small one. I didn't even nick a single strand of the cable since I was only milling about 20 thou deeper per pass till I could see the tin plating showing through, indicating that I was about to break through and start milling the cable and could just grab the lug with channel locks and peel it off the cable.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
When youre crimping small stuff you should always put a service loop for safety and gently caress up reasons. You don't have to worry about the crimp getting fatigued or pulled out from minor handling when there's a loop there. Then if you need to recrimp there is extra wire. (Just wrap it around a pencil is what I do for harnesses. Obviously stiffer wire means much bigger loops.

Also, as I always mention when crimping is discussed, Only use UL or better wire, do not use no-name/Harbor Freight wire. Mil-spec wire is worth it.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 1, 2016

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Are you talking about something like this?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CloFan posted:

Are you talking about something like this?

Yep! Strain relief baby.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Little safety loops are important for all kinds of wiring. Power lines in your house, cat5e, fiber, etc.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

One of these days when Chinese laser engravers get cheap enough, I will design my own logo with embedded contact information and go to town on all my tools.

You'll have to be careful which tools you laser though. Engrave the wrong plastic and you can have your very own WWI trench gas attack simulation with the chlorine gas it'll release.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Let's talk hot glue guns!

My hackerspace owns a DeWalt Rapid Heat Ceramic, which is much better than a sub-$20 has any right being. If I wasn't a weirdo, I'd just get that.

The internet says good things about the AdTech Pro200. It's $50. Have any of y'all used one? Is it significantly nicer than the DeWalt? I'm almost tempted to buy one just to compare the two.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CarForumPoster posted:

Also, as I always mention when crimping is discussed, Only use UL or better wire, do not use no-name/Harbor Freight wire. Mil-spec wire is worth it.

Where do UK goons buy wire from? I've always just been a terrible PO and repurposed something that looks right.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Safety Dance posted:

My hackerspace owns a DeWalt Rapid Heat Ceramic, which is much better than a sub-$20 has any right being. If I wasn't a weirdo, I'd just get that.

The internet says good things about the AdTech Pro200. It's $50. Have any of y'all used one? Is it significantly nicer than the DeWalt? I'm almost tempted to buy one just to compare the two.

I actually saw a good review of glue guns recently, and it sounds like 3M makes some excellent (but pricey) ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQfWGMdwno

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I was looking at the 3M LT gun too, but $160 is a little too rich for my blood.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Safety Dance posted:

No joke, this thing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FCDBJ2
It's ridiculously great and cheap, and it's been reliable for about a year so far. This is mostly woodworking shop and RC use. I've got two of them with different glue in them.

That Adhesive Technologies gun does look really nice for a fixed temp gun though.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 1, 2016

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
My car got broken into and they stole my 25 year old lovely tire inflator, what was the AI recommendation for one of these? Or a small compressor?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A heat gun is really good for lighting charcoal. I didn't expect it, but wow, turns into a blast furnace in less than a minute. Screw that chimney nonsense.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

My car got broken into and they stole my 25 year old lovely tire inflator, what was the AI recommendation for one of these? Or a small compressor?

I've had a Viair 70P for about 4 years and it's been wonderful. Nice and small, compact(comes with a little zipper bag that stores everything), works really well and has a fairly accurate built in gauge. Might need one of the bigger models if you have a truck or larger/heavy duty type tires, doesn't have any issues with my compact car with 18inch wheels/tires. Pretty cheap too, I think I paid about $40 for it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Slime digital one. It works well for topping off my tires when needed and it fits under the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ZBWKAU/

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

FogHelmut posted:

I have the Slime digital one. It works well for topping off my tires when needed and it fits under the seat.

Seconding this one. I have the same one and it's great.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

FogHelmut posted:

A heat gun is really good for ...

I thought these two were related for a hot minute, and I got worried.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

FogHelmut posted:

A heat gun is really good for lighting charcoal. I didn't expect it, but wow, turns into a blast furnace in less than a minute. Screw that chimney nonsense.

Interesting tip! I need to try it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FogHelmut posted:

I have something similar and digital is definitely worth the extra cost.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I love the yoga mat idea and will have to steal it once I am highbrow enough to actually have toolboxes instead of a big overstuffed toolbag I keep in the back of my shitcan.

Crimps are a one-way thing but sometimes if you get lucky you can remove them by, yes, turning them 90 degrees and crimping again gently until the wire will come out.

If it's a big enough crimp terminal and $9/ft cable and you really really can't afford to cut another 1.5" off the drat cable (because it's 25' long and needs to not be 1.5" shorter) so you can put the ring terminal on the way you should have in the first place though, you use a Bridgeport and a 1/4" endmill, then a pair of channel lock pliers to remove the crimp:

Then you crimp the proper lug (top right, the one that I had to mill to shape to clear the insulation barriers on the top of the contactor) on, good thing each one only costs $16:

It's amusing to me that removing a huge crimp lug is easier to do precisely than removing a small one. I didn't even nick a single strand of the cable since I was only milling about 20 thou deeper per pass till I could see the tin plating showing through, indicating that I was about to break through and start milling the cable and could just grab the lug with channel locks and peel it off the cable.

drat what are you doing with 350kcmil?

Also be sure to remember your bend radius for big cables. (For instance the 500kcmil 15kV triplex has about 6 foot bend radius when it's in the armored section.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Custom built battery testing loadbank/charger for some extensive lithium battery testing at work. Only needed 350 because of the expected voltage drop at our peak discharge testing at around 500 amps, since the discharge only lasts about 30 seconds in between 10 minute charging intervals the thermal rise is only a few degrees. But the voltage drop was excessive and would have angered the control system in the loadbanks with anything smaller.

Fortunately it is Carolprene neoprene insulated high strand count (3432 strands!) So a bend radius of 3.5" on the cables paralleling the two loadbanks was easily achieved by hand.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cakefool posted:

Where do UK goons buy wire from? I've always just been a terrible PO and repurposed something that looks right.

No idea.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

CatBus posted:

Interesting tip! I need to try it.

I've been preaching heat guns for starting charcoal for years, I've even started seeing BBQ-branded heat guns. (at like 400% the cost of a normal heat gun)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Name/post combo *kisses fingers Italian style*

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My battery organizer brings all the boys to the yard; drat right, it's better than yours

People with more than a reasonable number of batteries, how do you do it?

e. I was super impressed with the DeWalt 20v battery chargers. Molded into the back are arrows pointing at the two mounting points, and 4.5" is stamped right on there. Amazing!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

My battery organizer brings all the boys to the yard; drat right, it's better than yours

People with more than a reasonable number of batteries, how do you do it?

e. I was super impressed with the DeWalt 20v battery chargers. Molded into the back are arrows pointing at the two mounting points, and 4.5" is stamped right on there. Amazing!

I've never seen "I am aware of my problem but I have taken steps to mitigate it" stated quite so forcefully before without a single utterance. Bravo.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

God drat, that's no joke. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN85VJit4mQ

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

I've never seen "I am aware of my problem but I have taken steps to mitigate it" stated quite so forcefully before without a single utterance. Bravo.

[Un]fortunately, it's not my personal gigantic collection of DeWalt power tools.

Here's a wider view of that shelf. Notice the labels on each power tool, and corresponding labels on the shelf. I'm hoping that with enough berating, people will put stuff back where it belongs goddammit.

errata: The drawer labelled "Screwdrivers" actually contains crappy screwdrivers. The nice screwdrivers are in the drawer labelled "Sockets". I don't actually know where those sockets got off to; the Socket Set (upper right) is too big to fit in the "Sockets" drawer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Post your vices. I need a new vice, my old vice got bought for $20. I don't need anything quite as gently caress-off huge as Jörgmungandr, the world vice, but larger than a 5" gap (?) would be cool and good.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

Post your vices. I need a new vice, my old vice got bought for $20. I don't need anything quite as gently caress-off huge as Jörgmungandr, the world vice, but larger than a 5" gap (?) would be cool and good.

I hear smoking is a good starter vice :v:.

I've got a nice Wilton that I kick the poo poo out of on a fairly regular basis. I think it's only a 4.5" though. Not quite big enough to swallow a driveshaft U-joint and socket.

More vise-chat: do any of you guys use jaw covers? Got any particular ones that you like?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I like my Yost. Cheap, heavy, works. I do have some Bessy plastic jaws, but more often than not they just frustrate me because the item I'm working on will slip. They also reduce your opening by nearly an inch. I'm wanting to get some more low-profile jaws with hard rubber pads instead.

http://imgur.com/zUde47z You can see the jaws in this one, just don't judge the incredibly messy work area

CloFan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 5, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just realized I could 3D print vise jaw covers instead of always wrapping delicate objects in towels or e-tape. Revelation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I just realized I could 3D print vise jaw covers instead of always wrapping delicate objects in towels or e-tape. Revelation.

If you're down with brittle shards of plastic, yeah.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CloFan posted:

I like my Yost.

Me too. I've got a Yost 865-DI 6.5" reversible one which is supposedly made in the US but given the price I'm not so sure. Either way it's heavy and the screw turns smoothly. Here it is half way installed.

3/4" plywood sandwiching the mediocre workbench the PO left me (can't wait to replace that) ended up being pretty solid.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Safety Dance posted:

If you're down with brittle shards of plastic, yeah.

I don't even bother with PLA anymore. I've clamped down on plenty of PETG and it gets fatigue marks but never really shatters.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I had no idea that I was using the wrong spelling of vise/vice :buddy:

I also noticed that all the impact air tools that I'm seeing have a "working pressure: 90PSI". Does that mean that if my compressor doesn't get above 85PSI that I'm pretty well screwed or can I KIND of use an impact air tool?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

scuz posted:

I had no idea that I was using the wrong spelling of vise/vice :buddy:

I also noticed that all the impact air tools that I'm seeing have a "working pressure: 90PSI". Does that mean that if my compressor doesn't get above 85PSI that I'm pretty well screwed or can I KIND of use an impact air tool?

It means if your air compressor goes higher than 90, then you should have a regulator to limit it the output to the tool.

If the tool only see 85 then you'll get slightly less torque but its not gonna stop it from working entirely. There is pressure drop through air hoses anyways that will lower the pressure between air tank and tool, depending on hose size and cfm, so you don't always get the exact psi anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you are OK with fixing your air tools occasionally in exchange for higher performance, you can sometimes get away with feeding them more pressure than rated, too.

Of course the housings could also split in half from the overpressure and knock your fingers off so there's that.