Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
If Hiroshima, definitely Miyajima (easy to spend a whole day there), a day around the city/bomb park and museum. Also, if you want to get into the mountains, then I highly recommend Sandankyo gorge, a day trip reachable via public bus from the city. http://visithiroshima.net/plan_your_trip/tour_plans/sandankyo.html

We went there last time in April. It was the off season but still extremely beautiful. Trails beside mountain streams and a relaxing hike through the gorge. Hardly any people were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Edit:
Whoops wrong thread.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

totalnewbie posted:

I'm going to be in Hiroshima 15-17 too, going to meet my friend who lives there. PM me if you want to join us, though I'll be getting late on the 15th. Going to itsukushima for sure but no plans otherwise.

Hmmm, we have quite a packed schedule so on second thought meeting up will be hard. But thanks for the offer!

Protip to other would-be travelers now I'm in Tokyo; Asakusa is really nice to walk around in. Especially that kappa street.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In a somewhat drunken stupor I purchased a washlet for my dad in the US. I did so without any idea how to actually install it, considering most American bathrooms don't feature conveniently located sockets and I assume the water supplies are also different. I've found a few results on google, but has anyone had experience with anything like this? Or should I ask in the plumbing thread?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

How doable is Kanazawa as a day trip from Kyoto (in late December)? I'm mainly interested in Kenroku-en, the historic district, and maybe getting a good kaiseki meal for cheaper than Kyoto--in other words, mostly trekking around outdoors. Is the weather likely to shatter my poor snow-averse Pacific-Northwest-cosseted constitution?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^^ Yes and Yes

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
I see the Japan megathread V is inactive??? How was the 12/12 meet? I was out to sea.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's all the same posters in every thread :shrug: We're chilling in LINE chat.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
Garbage, I can never get that app to work on my phone

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

It's all the same posters in every thread :shrug: We're chilling in LINE chat.

*Shudders*

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I agree LINE's biggest problem is SMS for sign up (which prevents one account on multiple devices and phone number changes)

But have you seen the emoji on What's App? Terrible!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Gotta keep that sticker game on fleek

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm in Tokyo right now with a friend. Our airbnb came with a complimentary mobile wifi which has been immensely helpful, but after trying to split up a few times we've decided that we need an option better than "hang around a McDonald's" for using the internet and communication when we're separated. I know the two major options are either a prepaid sim or a mobile wifi, but I'm not sure how to go about finding the best deal, since the one we have was just given to us. We'll be here for around another three weeks.

Edit: My phone is a Nexus 6p. Probably needed for sim card decisions.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 1, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Decide a time and place to meet and stick to your plans :holymoley:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's the world wide prepaid sim wiki

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress people that don't have phones. My idiot coworker hasn't had a phone since she got here a year ago and wonders why people just started leaving her behind when she wanders off by herself or is late to anything.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
just go to a bic camera and buy a prepaid sim card. they're like 3k yen for 2gb.

im pretty sure they even sell them at the konbini nowadays but i dunno.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

gently caress people that don't have phones. My idiot coworker hasn't had a phone since she got here a year ago and wonders why people just started leaving her behind when she wanders off by herself or is late to anything.

Yeah this is infuriating. I've had coworkers like that also. "It feels so good to be free from all that! Hey can I borrow your phone for a minute"

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Hey. I'm going to be spending a week in Tokyo from the 17th to the 24th of august, meaning that I'll have quite some time to at least see the most touristy things Tokyo can offer. I've already taken a look at tripadvisor as well as some recommendations from friends, but do you goons have any personal recommendations as to what I should do?

Edit: I like partying, drinking, meeting people and I've a hard-on for anything urbanism or city planning related as that is my field of study.

Also, on the 24th I'm leaving from Tokyo to Akita and apparently the best way for me to do so is to take the Akita Shinkansen train from Tokyo Station. I am a little unsure as to whether or not to buy one of the train passes because the japan railways site that I can use to order tickets keep giving me these red letter warnings that it will be much more cheaper for me if I buy one of those train passes. Should I? I'm thinking it might be a little smart to do so as I'll be attending university in Akita for about 5 months, and apparently cities surrounding Akita offers some pretty cool sightseeing stuff and they're easily accessible by train.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 10, 2016

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

Hey. I'm going to be spending a week in Tokyo from the 17th to the 24th of august, meaning that I'll have quite some time to at least see the most touristy things Tokyo can offer. I've already taken a look at tripadvisor as well as some recommendations from friends, but do you goons have any personal recommendations as to what I should do?

Edit: I like partying, drinking, meeting people and I've a hard-on for anything urbanism or city planning related as that is my field of study.

Also, on the 24th I'm leaving from Tokyo to Akita and apparently the best way for me to do so is to take the Akita Shinkansen train from Tokyo Station. I am a little unsure as to whether or not to buy one of the train passes because the japan railways site that I can use to order tickets keep giving me these red letter warnings that it will be much more cheaper for me if I buy one of those train passes. Should I? I'm thinking it might be a little smart to do so as I'll be attending university in Akita for about 5 months, and apparently cities surrounding Akita offers some pretty cool sightseeing stuff and they're easily accessible by train.

Go to the Hub.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Stalins Moustache posted:

If you're coming to study (i.e. on a student visa) you're probably not eligible for the rail pass. It might depend on the specific pass in question, but the main JR pass is basically only for people on tourist visas.

For Tokyo, sign up for Meetup.com and see if anything takes your interest. Just going to pubs and clubs in Shibuya/Roppongi too and talking to people there might be good if that's more your style.

I don't know about urbanism really, but you might find the area of Odaiba interesting. It's basically all reclaimed land and now contains a mix of residential, commercial and entertainment-related developments as well as relatively high (for Tokyo) proportions of open space. From my perspective, it's one of only a few places in Tokyo that actually feels 'planned out' as opposed to 'built up'.

Additionally, you might want to check out the area around Shibuya that is currently undergoing a major redevelopment.
http://www.realestate-tokyo.com/news/shibuya-redevelopments/
There's a scale model of the plans and some other materials on the 11th floor of the nearby Hikarie building.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You'd probably enjoy this: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/10/09/a-man-made-cave-of-wonders-the-worlds-biggest-underground-storm-drain-in-kasukabe-japan/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Goddamn I gotta go there next time. Next time I'm here I'm sending you my itinerary.

Beats getting a 3 hour delay at narita and bumming around the town and eating anago( still nice)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

That's my favorite quake 2 map

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JR Pass is for tourist visa only. (?) You don't need to buy shinkansen tickets in advance, just wait until you're in Tokyo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can't buy the JR Pass in country.* The math for a JR Pass comes down to "will you take 2 or more Shinkansen round trips in the span of a week?" That said, they check your passport when you cash in the voucher, so it better say Tourist on it.

* - this is a lie; it'll require you to buy it via a travel agency who will then FedEx it to your hotel/whatever in Japan. It's expensive and dumb to pay $30-45 for shipping an envelope to yourself in Japan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you live in civilization you can just go to your JTB and buy one

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
I'll be in Japan Sept 17-Oct 1st. Traveling solo. Don't drink or party. Love nature, surfing. JR Pass.

First 5 days in Nagoya to see my Japanese host family. The rest I'm thinking:

Hiroshima - Kyoto - Omaezaki / Shimoda - Niijima

Obviously I'm crazy and can't be without surf. Anyone here been to Niijima (or the other islands), Chiba, Omaezaki in relation to surf? Surfboard on Shinkansen horrible idea? Am I wasting my trip lusting for surf instead of petting pretty deer?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Surfboard on a shinkansen lmbo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Surfboard on a shinkansen

this sounds like a bad book about some dude from california who spent a year in japan

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
gently caress me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What's wrong with a surfboard on the Shinkansen? I take skis all the time and it's no problem.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hotdog down a hallway?

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
I read online people take skiis, snowboards, golf bags on the train... my surfboard is small and weighs less than golf clubs :( why am I so dumb :(

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it's just not the most space available train in the world. it's not like you get to check baggage or whatever. I think you could take a surfboard on the train, it just probably wouldn't be in the top 50-75 things that people usually take on the train, I'm guessing. at least from my few limited experiences on the shinkansen

It would kinda be like a dude being like "I'm coming to Germany I can't wait to rideshare across the country with my harp"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can send bags across the country and to the airport easily with these guys

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People take all kinds of stupid crap on the shinkansen. My husband's cousin takes her 5 chihuahuas home on it every holiday. I don't think it's a big deal.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg 5 chihuahuas

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would read "surfboard on a Shinkansen"

You couldn't pay me to read "5 chihuahuas on a Shinkansen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
OK all jokes aside - am I allowed to bring my surfboard to an onsen?