Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoedown Throwdown
Mar 30, 2004
Ich esse Scheiße
In honour of the alt-right creep circus being Totally Sincere, here's Ford Nation crying about how the regressive left has ruined gay pride

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/03/black-lives-matter-failed-to-show-respect-at-pride-parade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Helsing posted:

And this trend on the left or among liberals to redefine the rules of the debate so that all the contrary voices are inherently illegitimate and don't even need to be responded to just seems like a terrible misstep to me (though perhaps this is just my own form of naivety, since tribal politics seems to be on the norm in every other ideology).

:agreed:

Flipping out on people when they fail to stick to the approved dialogue is pretty un-Canadian. You get to choose either people not paying any attention to what you have to say or some of those people not liking what you have to say; "neither of these" is not an option, never was, and never should be.

In other news, probably no mail next week:
Canada Post says most recent contract offer to union is 'final'

CBC posted:

Canada Post says it has told the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) that the contract offer it made late last month should be considered the mail service's "final" offer.

In a statement issued late Monday afternoon, Canada Post called the contract proposals presented to the CUPW on June 25 "fair and reasonable framework for settlements."

On July 1, the union presented a counter-offer, which Canada Post says is "not affordable" and would add $1 billion in costs over the term of the contract.

The union, meanwhile, is accusing Canada Post of preparing to lock out workers and creating uncertainty by warning the public to avoid the post office.

Earlier, Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton said the Crown corporation is hopeful the two sides can hammer out a deal, noting it still hasn't given the 72 hours' notice required to call a lockout.

The CUPW, meanwhile, has a strike mandate from its members, but also has yet to call for any job action.

That puts the timeline, if any, for a work stoppage at Thursday at the earliest.
Thanks, intentionally incompetent management!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

In other news, probably no mail next week:
Canada Post says most recent contract offer to union is 'final'
Thanks, intentionally incompetent management!

Huzzah, we can look forward to the public angrily blaming those fatcat union workers again after another lockout.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Huzzah, we can look forward to the public angrily blaming those fatcat union workers again after another lockout.

Yeah, they're asking for like 2.5% a year increase when most public sector workers are settling for 1% or Net Zero?

http://www.cupw.ca/en/cpc-%E2%80%9Cmodest%E2%80%9D-wage-offer-%E2%80%9Cinsult%E2%80%9D

quote:

It’s Time for Canada Post to Show Us The Money! We deserve it!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i can't remember the last time i used canada post

why is it there again?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

namaste faggots posted:

next time you gender studies majors are huddled around the kitchen stove in the deep of winter and starving, remember this thread

"why didnt i weedle CI's address out of someone so i could rob him of his cans of ravioli"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've never had any real problems with Canada Post, the only time I've ever been dicked around was with FedEx and Purolator

nationalize everything, jail the CEOs and execute their offspring as a warning

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Ambrose Burnside posted:

"why didnt i weedle CI's address out of someone so i could rob him of his cans of ravioli"

Just Laughing Out Loud that you think you could gain access to the fortified condo complex.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Maybe Canada Post will be required to deliver your weed?

quote:

Liberal MPP Bill Blair (Scarborough Southwest), the former Toronto police chief and a Trudeau lieutenant on the marijuana file, went further when asked if people would be allowed to grow their own pot.

“Unlike (growing) tomatoes, it is a substance that poses certain significant both social and health harms and risks to Canadians,” said Blair, noting “the science is overwhelmingly clear that marijuana is not a benign substance.”

He said that’s why Ottawa will be “ensuring that an effective and comprehensive regulatory framework is put in place to control the production, distribution, and the consumption of marijuana.”

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ikantski posted:

Yeah, they're asking for like 2.5% a year increase when most public sector workers are settling for 1% or Net Zero?

God forbid that workers ask for a 2.5% increase in pay.

Never mind the fact that Deepak Chopra was authorized to not pay into the pension at adequate levels for a period of time to buy useless, more modern letter mail sorting machines. Yeah. Let's just go after the workers, Ikantski because they're the real problem.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

http://www.cupw.ca/en/cpc-%E2%80%9Cmodest%E2%80%9D-wage-offer-%E2%80%9Cinsult%E2%80%9D

Then maybe other public sectors should fire their union reps and ask for something similar. This race to the bottom bullshit you get a raging boner over is the least helpful thing possible and only makes the wage gap and standard of living in this country worse. We dont pay 90% of people in this country enough money to do their jobs, everyone should be demanding 2.5% raises minimum.

Except CI. He can keep his realtor wages.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

Maybe Canada Post will be required to deliver your weed?

They already are. AFAIK it's still mail-order only if you have a scrip.

OSI bean dip posted:

Yeah. Let's just go after the workers, Ikantski because they're the real problem.

C'mon, it's Ikantski, this is sorta his shtick. Maybe if we promise to let him hunt them in season he'll loosen up.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

C'mon, it's Ikantski, this is sorta his shtick. Maybe if we promise to let him hunt them in season he'll loosen up.

To be fair, him and his ilk have no clue about why Canada Post has been a shitshow and need to be reminded. Of course, him and his ilk have no basis of reality either so you have a point.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Then maybe other public sectors should fire their union reps and ask for something similar. This race to the bottom bullshit you get a raging boner over is the least helpful thing possible and only makes the wage gap and standard of living in this country worse. We dont pay 90% of people in this country enough money to do their jobs, everyone should be demanding 2.5% raises minimum.

Except CI. He can keep his realtor wages.

a 1% raise isn't really going to make a dent in the wage gap. Neither would a 10% raise. the gap isn't growing because of income, it's growing because of equity

postal workers, and most non-professional public servants too, are reasonably well paid based on what the market pays other people with their skill set

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

a 1% raise isn't really going to make a dent in the wage gap. Neither would a 10% raise. the gap isn't growing because of income, it's growing because of equity.

Its certainly better than doing nothing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Furnaceface posted:

Its certainly better than doing nothing.

But you see, Conservatives think it's okay to do nothing and instead just cut taxes because then everyone gets rich.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Ikantski posted:

With the exception of the 2.4%–2.9% increase, for one year, only for (what I think are) vehicle technicians, immediately after a year of 0% increase, every increase in the CPC proposal is 1% or less. Inflation has not been below 1% at any point since 1993, and doesn't seem poised to slow to such historic lows over the next four years, so Canada Post is making its "final offer" a pay cut in real-dollar terms.

Canada Post pretending that that's an generous offer, and Ikantski going along with it, both earn the :eng99: award for economics.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

tagesschau posted:

With the exception of the 2.4%–2.9% increase, for one year, only for (what I think are) vehicle technicians, immediately after a year of 0% increase, every increase in the CPC proposal is 1% or less. Inflation has not been below 1% at any point since 1993, and doesn't seem poised to slow to such historic lows over the next four years, so Canada Post is making its "final offer" a pay cut in real-dollar terms.

Canada Post pretending that that's an generous offer, and Ikantski going along with it, both earn the :eng99: award for economics.

If conservatives were truly such stewards of the economy, things like Brexit would have not happened. Conservative-minded folk are no better at economics than the left; it's just that they've done a better job demonizing policies produced by them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

They already are. AFAIK it's still mail-order only if you have a scrip.

I actually did know that. It was kind of a joke, if Wynne wants LCBO to sell it so the province can monetize, Trudeau should just enhance Canada Post's role so the federal government can profit instead. It'd be super handy, "Here's your mail and would you like some marijuana today?".

OSI bean dip posted:

But you see, Conservatives think it's okay to do nothing and instead just cut taxes because then everyone gets rich.

Calm down guy, we're just talking about one of the frequent public servant contract squabbles that pop up every few months. No reason to start stereotyping an entire group of peoples. Yeah, in an ideal world, every public servant is getting 3-5% raises a year and Canada's GDP and tax base is growing even faster. That's just not close to the reality we're living right now, especially in Ontario. Write to your favorite political party and ask them to run on a platform of raising taxes, they were hard to find last election. I voted for the closest thing to it, the NDP.

tagesschau posted:

I never said it was a generous offer, the yearly percentages are right there on the CUPW page I linked? I just said it's comparable or better than other public sector salary growth at the moment.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hey you guys wanna start a pen pal club that way we can continue to enlighten each other about gender or some poo poo and keep canada post employed

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

it's just that they've done a better job demonizing policies produced by them.

Oh my god no they're not, it's Liberal or NDP majority all over Canada right now except saskman. The Conservatives have been horrible at demonizing anything other than themselves lately.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

namaste faggots posted:

hey you guys wanna start a pen pal club that way we can continue to enlighten each other about gender or some poo poo and keep canada post employed

Sure thing. What's your address, bro?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
it's 30709 N Burgess Ave, Abbotsford, BC V4X 2A6

lookin forward to some enlightening discourse :allears:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

namaste faggots posted:

your music sucks

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dhf5ZTZn5o

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Hey, lets hike the taxes to 65% and then have less then 10% of the population actually pay their taxes as a response like Brazil, Portugal, Spain and Greece. Then lets spend the money on moneypits which only create further malinvestment and entitlement. I mean, look at all the great places this tax & spend policy has generated a healthy middle class after the fiscal programs stopped compounding their entitlements....

oh, wait.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
NASA just got a satellite into orbit around Jupiter. We reach further into the stars every day and maybe one day will leave this planet behind and claim new worlds as home. A galaxy at our finger tips and maybe even new life and new civilizations.

CI will still be poo poo posting even then.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hal_2005 posted:

Hey, lets hike the taxes to 65% and then have less then 10% of the population actually pay their taxes as a response like Brazil, Portugal, Spain and Greece. Then lets spend the money on moneypits which only create further malinvestment and entitlement. I mean, look at all the great places this tax & spend policy has generated a healthy middle class after the fiscal programs stopped compounding their entitlements....

oh, wait.

go back toyour junior analyst cube shithead

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Hal_2005 posted:

oh, wait.

Our neighbours to the south have their nominal corporate tax rate at 35% and have produced great companies like Oracle, Google, Facebook, and many others. We have cut our rate to around 15% and have produced great companies like Nortel, Corel, and Research in Motion.

Also our constant cutting of taxes has done great for our population as a whole:

I am hoping that a recruiter tries and gets me a job at Corel. :allears:

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

tagesschau posted:

Hal_2005 posted:

oh, wait.

I see I spoke too soon.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

OSI bean dip posted:

Our neighbours to the south have their nominal corporate tax rate at 35% and have produced great companies like Oracle, Google, Facebook, and many others. We have cut our rate to around 15% and have produced great companies like Nortel, Corel, and Research in Motion.

You forgot Hootsuite.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

go back toyour junior analyst cube shithead

Please find me one country where an increase in taxation led to a higher purchasing power since 1981. Go on, impress me. Or call me names while I laugh at you, that amuses me just as well.

As for the poster above who argued for the USA being a product of its tax base: Please review the US tax code and the effective corporate tax rate, you US example fails and I'm keen to see if any of you can understand why. If you actually knew what the gently caress you were trying to strawman, you would have came across the "Stamp Tax" and the "Reagan Tax Incentives", which would automatically invalidate your base case. It led to something called the Buyout Binge, twice I may add. But you knew that before posting without researching, right? Twit.

(Hint: If you are struggling to find out why lower taxation improves labor wealth and productivity it has something to do with capital gains & R&D Credits....)

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 5, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Hal_2005 posted:

since 1981

now why would you put this constraint in I wonder

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Hal_2005 posted:

Please find me one country where an increase in taxation led to a higher purchasing power since 1981. Go on, impress me. Or call me names while I laugh at you, that amuses me just as well.

As for the poster above who argued for the USA being a product of its tax base: Please review the US tax code and the effective corporate tax rate, you US example fails and I'm keen to see if any of you can understand why. If you actually knew what the gently caress you were trying to strawman, you would have came across the "Stamp Tax" and the "Reagan Tax Incentives", which would automatically invalidate your base case. It led to something called the Buyout Binge, twice I may add. But you knew that before posting without researching, right? Twit.

(Hint: If you are struggling to find out why lower taxation improves labor wealth and productivity it has something to do with capital gains & R&D Credits....)

Give me companies that have flourished under our taxation scheme.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If it makes any of you feel any better, the lockout notice has been issued, and the doors'll be shut at Canada Post by Friday.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 26, 2018

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
The fact that this is once again the managements doing rather than the workers should be all the prompting the Trudeau gov should need to depose the loving worthless trash Harper appointed but the Liberals have so far been all to keen to continue with conservative poo poo on other labour policy stuff so I won't hold my breath.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

James Baud posted:

If we dropped delivery to every second business day, Canada Post could eliminate around 20,000 carrier positions across the country and save well over a billion dollars per year. Virtually nobody (else) would even notice.

Why do we never hear this proposed?

because almost every small retail business in Canada that ships goods uses Canada Post. Going down to every second day you might as well just shutter the whole thing.

Everyone should remember that while lettermail volume was declining it only collapsed after the lockout. This cycle of self destruction is completely at the feet of management and I am sad that most likely people will lay this at the feet of 'greedy workers' again because Canada is always happy to play the role of crabs in a bucket

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
The entire postal network would need to be overhauled to go to alternate day delivery. Their warehouse space is only set up to hold one day of mail. They would need to buy huge amounts of warehouse space.

From a delivery standpoint, alternate day delivery of the current walks would not be possible. There would be too much mail. The system is set up to get everything out in one day to make the volumes managable. It's similar to how transit routes are set up to manage certain volumes of passengers. Remove the buses, and they get overloaded. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would require huge amounts of capital investment and probably would not pay for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Ikantski posted:

UPS and Purolator drivers make about $5/hour more than CPC workers and they don't have to hoof it up and down stairs all day 20km a day with weights on their backs. The union already took a $4/hour pay cut for new employees in the last contract because Harper ordered them back to work. CUPW challenged that action in court and won, that contract was ruled unconstitutional.