Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NLJP posted:

And yeah, plenty of folk stories of Devils, weird masks and other pagan remnants have stuck around, especially in the remoter valleys. We used to be terrified of going into the carnotzet (drinking room) of our friends because it was basically a cave with terrifying masks of mountain spirits on the wall.

That sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

It's a dumb extravagant play funded by Switzerland's ill-earned wealth and Europe's long lasting love of pointless, controversial, and tacky pomp. They hired a German art-house theater director to make the thing and he produced exactly the type of nauseating faux-art trash German art-house anythings are known for. Looking into it any further (outside of trying to decipher the themes on a purely "what the hell were they going for?" basis) is the sign of a broken brain. Seek help.

Pretty much this. A lot of the youtube comments on that page are conspiracy 101.

Muted the commentators so their poo poo wouldn't color it, a lot of the imagery seems pretty straightforward.

The underground sections with the slaves and workers are people toiling away in the mines.
The people in the brown/white/green veils represent the mountains. With the dirt and stone and plants on top.
The guys in suits with the huge heads are probably politicians.
The guy in the goat suit is probably the devil of devil's bridge.
The weirdass clock segment probably represented the time pressure of planning, and how it HAD to be on schedule, thus them worshipping the clock.
Only part I can't really get is the scarabs. I guess they're just a generic afterlife symbol.

What's the name of this, anyway? Both the play and the railway thing they are celebrating. There's probably a better video of it somewhere. I assume this is the Teufelsbrücke at Schöllenen Gorge, and not one of the two other Devil's Bridges in Switzerland?

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It is the Gotthard Base Tunnel inauguration. There was a full version of it with the original German commentary on it that explained the directors notes on the performance but it's been taken down. Every other version on there is a conspiracy theorists version with commentary and annotations.

It is the Teufelsbrücke at Schöllenen Gorge.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

It is the Gotthard Base Tunnel inauguration. There was a full version of it with the original German commentary on it that explained the directors notes on the performance but it's been taken down. Every other version on there is a conspiracy theorists version with commentary and annotations.

It is the Teufelsbrücke at Schöllenen Gorge.

The video probably got taken down because youtube is full of Gottharded people. I was honestly a bit curious. Take your meds, people. :negative:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

here's the original without the religious commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4NU0Tok1T4&t=21474s

it should start at 5:57:54

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

NLJP posted:

Parts of Switzerland. It's a whole mishmash but yes, blanket calling it a Catholic country is way wrong.

And yeah, plenty of folk stories of Devils, weird masks and other pagan remnants have stuck around, especially in the remoter valleys. We used to be terrified of going into the carnotzet (drinking room) of our friends because it was basically a cave with terrifying masks of mountain spirits on the wall.

Got any pics of that or similar rooms? That sounds rad as hell.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Got any pics of that or similar rooms? That sounds rad as hell.

It's basically this: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/ambassadors/explorers/alessandra_meniconzi/blogs/blog6.do in a place not unlike this: http://imgur.com/qKMh40U

It was always very dark when you went in and the first thing you saw was one of those masks hanging up. Bit traumatic at age 5 or so.

Our friends lived farther west, nearer lake Geneva but still had a few of those kind of masks. The Valais is eery in general I find. Huge long valley with very prominent, steep mountains. A lot of wind, not much sun and some seriously isolated places. I mean, Switzerland has hillbilly style places all over but the Valais is a bit famous for them.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 20, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Quift posted:

I'm not assuming their motivation. I'm wondering out loud. Cause I thought that opening ceremony was really hosed up. Most who watch that show react with some kind of "wtf!" after all.

This poo poo is so way beyond what I would call appropriate for the occasion that I question why someone would do it.

How on earth do you get a green light for this?

Pitch meeting "Yeah. About that opening ceremony for the train tunnel. How about we make it about opening a portal to hell?"

"sounds awesome. I'm sure everyone in this Catholic country is going to think it's awesome to ride through the hell train" afterwards! What sort of budget to you need? "

" I need two hundred dancers, fifty musicians, and plenty of fireworks. So about a million euros"

"perfect!"

I work in marketing and the very same type of people that greenlit this have the creative boldness of gold fish in my experience.

Maybe next time you should propose something awesome and devil worshipperish, see how far you get.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

NLJP posted:

It's basically this: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/ambassadors/explorers/alessandra_meniconzi/blogs/blog6.do in a place not unlike this: http://imgur.com/qKMh40U

It was always very dark when you went in and the first thing you saw was one of those masks hanging up. Bit traumatic at age 5 or so.

Our friends lived farther west, nearer lake Geneva but still had a few of those kind of masks. The Valais is eery in general I find. Huge long valley with very prominent, steep mountains. A lot of wind, not much sun and some seriously isolated places. I mean, Switzerland has hillbilly style places all over but the Valais is a bit famous for them.

That's really cool. I'm a bit of a weirdo who loves masks like that though, I've spent hours looking at the collection of NW Coastal Native American masks at the Field Museum in Chicago.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Quift posted:

I'm not assuming their motivation. I'm wondering out loud. Cause I thought that opening ceremony was really hosed up. Most who watch that show react with some kind of "wtf!" after all.

This poo poo is so way beyond what I would call appropriate for the occasion that I question why someone would do it.

How on earth do you get a green light for this?

Pitch meeting "Yeah. About that opening ceremony for the train tunnel. How about we make it about opening a portal to hell?"

"sounds awesome. I'm sure everyone in this Catholic country is going to think it's awesome to ride through the hell train" afterwards! What sort of budget to you need? "

" I need two hundred dancers, fifty musicians, and plenty of fireworks. So about a million euros"

"perfect!"

I work in marketing and the very same type of people that greenlit this have the creative boldness of gold fish in my experience.

Do you actually know anything at all about Switzerland or the artistic tastes of the European elite? Do you speak the relevant languages, local culture, etc. have you spent time with these people? Are you familiar with other major public ceremonies in the EU?

Because if you don't have that kind of background knowledge then your intuition isn't terribly helpful one way or the other.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Helsing posted:

Do you actually know anything at all about Switzerland or the artistic tastes of the European elite? Do you speak the relevant languages, local culture, etc. have you spent time with these people? Are you familiar with other major public ceremonies in the EU?

Because if you don't have that kind of background knowledge then your intuition isn't terribly helpful one way or the other.

We've already established that Quift doesn't know anything about this region, the folk myth, the entire nation or the book of revelations, so I'm guessing the answer to all of the above is no.

Quift
May 11, 2012
I don't wish to brag or speak of my personal life etc but since you asked I can provide some basic background.

I speak French fluently, and I can manhandle Italian to a decent level. So I can speak two out-of four Swiss languages. I'm born in Lyon and have family in savoie so I'm actually from the cultural vicinity although I'm myself culturally Normand rather than Dauphinois.

I'm baptised in the protestant church of Basel where we lived when I was very young before moving back to France and then Sweden.

I'm raised within what most would describe as very cosmopolitan family with plenty of ties to the European institutions as well as on the national level in both Sweden and France. Not "elite" as in trust fund baby myself but I went to school with several so I attend those cultural circles on occasion.

To sum this up. I'm from the European, cosmopolitan, educated class that make most of these European institutions run. My cultural sensibilities should be very similar to the target audience.

Et selon ces sensibilité cet cérémonie et dans un mauvais goût. Elle n'est pas du tout comme if faut dans cet situation.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Quift posted:

To sum this up. I'm from the European, cosmopolitan, educated class that make most of these European institutions run. My cultural sensibilities should be very similar to the target audience.

You should look into some antipsychotic medication. Mental illness doesn't care if you're rich.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You guys are having the wrong argument here. Like let's say they are worshipping Satan and aren't just having a giggle. Why does this matter and what are the consequences of this?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's a division between Satanist, as in a theistic Satanist that may belong to a organized group, and SATANISTS which are the subjects of many Christian conspiracy theories and pop culture. The former are little different than other religions just with more eyeliner, while the second is seen as behind every bad thing that can happen. Satanists have organized rings of pedophiles and child sacrifice! They own politicians that suppress Christians and help gays and pagans (non Christians) become more powerful than good Christians.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'm pretty sure neopagans nowadays are super into old gods and right-wing politics, not really into alliances with gays for whatever reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

laserghost posted:

I'm pretty sure neopagans nowadays are super into old gods and right-wing politics, not really into alliances with gays for whatever reason.

Exactly, but there is not an insignificant number of Evangelical Christians that believe that anything that doesn't fit into their very, very narrow world view is Satanism. It doesn't matter if the things are actually at odds, all that matters is what they think.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

laserghost posted:

Truth with modification. Nearly all organized asatru in the US are nazi twats because of the Asatruar Folk Association, and it's happening some places in Europe too, but definitely not everywhere. Also, as a non-fascist heathen, I'd argue that a lot of these people are bacon-for-brains thrill seekers who need a spiritual excuse for being racists, because their ritual and mythology is sloppy at best.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Well, I hope that there are pagans in Europe who aren't rascist shitheads, but where I live identifying as a pagan is basically a codeword for being a nationalistic hateful oval office who's also at odds with Vatican because of Jewish influences, sprinkled with pseudohistorical mythology. Shouting "slava" and using "the sun symbol" is of course part of the "heritage", not a shout out to good ol' Alfie, silly!

It's really distressing seing such blatant hate groups becoming more and more widespread and politically involved (even on mainstream level) here. But I guess that's subject for the Eastern Europe thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

laserghost posted:

Well, I hope that there are pagans in Europe who aren't rascist shitheads, but where I live identifying as a pagan is basically a codeword for being a nationalistic hateful oval office who's also at odds with Vatican because of Jewish influences, sprinkled with pseudohistorical mythology. Shouting "slava" and using "the sun symbol" is of course part of the "heritage", not a shout out to good ol' Alfie, silly!

It's really distressing seing such blatant hate groups becoming more and more widespread and politically involved (even on mainstream level) here. But I guess that's subject for the Eastern Europe thread.

Weird. All the pagans I know are liberal, tolerant women, and half of them are bisexual. But then again they're more about Cernunos than Odin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Weird. All the pagans I know are liberal, tolerant women, and half of them are bisexual. But then again they're more about Cernunos than Odin.

The closest pagan I know is my girlfriend, who's basically exactly as you described. I honestly don't know of any area where "pagan" is widely understood to refer to Neo-Nazis, as opposed to women who call themselves "witches" and unironically wear pentacle necklaces. The closest you'll get is Thor's Hammer tattoos being a skinhead thing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tias posted:

Truth with modification. Nearly all organized asatru in the US are nazi twats because of the Asatruar Folk Association, and it's happening some places in Europe too, but definitely not everywhere. Also, as a non-fascist heathen, I'd argue that a lot of these people are bacon-for-brains thrill seekers who need a spiritual excuse for being racists, because their ritual and mythology is sloppy at best.

Are they actually supplanting other types or just highly visible loud people looking for beliefs they can claim are properly racist while the others remain?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

There's most definitely two kinds of pagans in Europe. There's the reconstructed-Goth/hippy types on the one hand and then there are a bunch of totally-loving-white dudes on the other who are super into Sig runes and Tyr runes for ~reasons~ and who not-entirely-coincidentally hold weird opinions about a mythical golden-age when Nordic races ran everything.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

And unfortunately in the UK at least a lot of the groups are combining. Someone was telling me she had to leave the last couple of Pagan groups she was in because there were suddenly these Nordic dynasty types who were dominating the discourse mostly by being the loudest voices.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My parents just got back from a tour of Eastern Europe where they got an earful of local social politics from their determinedly upbeat tour guide. One of the biggest issues they face, apparently, is huge population drain since the birth rate among native Czechs/Slovaks/Hungarians is ridiculously low, the implication being that after half a century of despotism and communism and revolutions most people just feel like there isn't any point anymore. Most of the cathedrals and huge buildings are now just museums and historical curiosities. (The Czech Republic apparently only has a churchgoing percentage of like 4%, as opposed to Slovakia which is 60% catholic.) The government offers huge financial incentives to couples to have more than 2 kids, but there are few takers and lots of emigration, so the GDP of these countries is plummeting; they light up the river frontages of all the cool monumental buildings to show off to the tourists on their evening boat rides, but the moment they're around the last bend all the lights abruptly shut off to save money.

So these countries are super opposed to immigration since it dilutes an already moribund national identity, even if they desperately need an influx of manpower from anywhere just to keep the lights on. It's small wonder that in a situation like that you'd have nationalist/racist groups rising to defend something they see as under threat. It's easily a symptom of any society that's withering. I want to say you don't see aggressive nationalism from societies that are growing and expanding, but I'm not sure that's true (of course these are all blanket statements and it's different in every case anyway, but still).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Quift posted:

You are right. I don't mean people who are actually atheists that claim some sort of "satanist contrarian philosophy" which are most people that claim they are satanists, occultism etc. Nor do I refer to pagans who are generally polytheistic or animist.

I'm talking about people who literally pray and worship to Satan like some hard core Christians or moslems or whatever pray to God. Knowing full well that they are praying to what we would call the devil.

Like ritual sacrifice of animals to the dark Lord in the privacy of your own home satanist. Not heavy metal heads who think it's cool. Actual believers.

Devil worshippers... I'm grasping for names here but I think you get what I mean.

Regardless. I believe those guys exists. So far it's sane, right?

So where is the line where sanity ends and paranoid schizophrenia begin?

They exist, they're called Luciferians or theistic Satanists. The wide bulk of them (I would say all but I can't really speak for an entire religion, regardless of how small) are either just weirdos trying to be edgy or black metal musicians/fans, though, and they're not an especially large number, nor do they have any significant political influence anywhere.

e: like, this is what Google Images pulled up for a gathering of them:

It's basically just a bunch of dumb nerds

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The line between sanity and crazy bullshit is when you start assuming these people are actually somehow influencing anything in the world, rather than being on roughly the same societal pillar as your average E/N goon.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The line between sanity and crazy bullshit is when you start assuming these people are actually somehow influencing anything in the world, rather than being on roughly the same societal pillar as your average E/N goon.

The sympathetic resonance of my shitposts have already changed the world. How much more powerful could satanists be?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What have you done. Within 2 pages, Quift will start going :freep: over E/N.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's basically just a bunch of dumb nerds

Its like a goon meet, but with slightly more girls.

(Re my earlier characterization of satanism as "gently caress you dad". Dads in the back of the photo dressed as a ninja. No wonder the kids are surly!)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

chitoryu12 posted:

The closest you'll get is Thor's Hammer tattoos being a skinhead thing.

Why do I, a man with no tattoos or piercings (or, indeed, Skinhead/Nazi sympathies) at all, have a sudden urge to get Thor's Hammer tattooed to my Penis with "Only those who are worthy may lift Mjolnir" above it?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Masonity posted:

Why do I, a man with no tattoos or piercings (or, indeed, Skinhead/Nazi sympathies) at all, have a sudden urge to get Thor's Hammer tattooed to my Penis with "Only those who are worthy may lift Mjolnir" above it?

That's the little idiot that lives in the back of our heads. Don't listen to him, he's an idiot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Masonity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_O0jNYOGTQ

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwSAc2e51U

New alt-right conspiracy theory that the fireworks accident in central park was an ISIS attack.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
wasn't the worst that happened was some teen lost a leg? Why would anybdoy care if that was ISIS?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

boom boom boom posted:

wasn't the worst that happened was some teen lost a leg? Why would anybdoy care if that was ISIS?

yep. it sounds to me like some dumb gently caress left his/her fireworks behind for later in the sun. and the kid stepped on them and set them off. I would assume ISIS would aim for bigger crowds

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how one of the tabloids has gone complete :tinfoil: and claims that Orlando is just stage 1 in ISIS's "Summer of Blood" and its all being run by Obama, who of course is a secret Muslim and should be removed from office by "any means" necessary. Oh and dozen's off attacks will be happening over the next few weeks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

slavatuvs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwSAc2e51U

New alt-right conspiracy theory that the fireworks accident in central park was an ISIS attack.

And I assume the crisis actor people have already gotten a theory out about this being a false flag operation by the government, using paid actors in order to take away everyone's fireworks (the first step toward making it more acceptable to take away everyone's guns, obvs)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

xthetenth posted:

Are they actually supplanting other types or just highly visible loud people looking for beliefs they can claim are properly racist while the others remain?

The AFA has supplanted other organizations, to the point where non-racist asatru who want a national interest organization have nowhere else to go, and they teach their perverted doctrine to others every chance they get.

Helen Highwater posted:

There's most definitely two kinds of pagans in Europe. There's the reconstructed-Goth/hippy types on the one hand and then there are a bunch of totally-loving-white dudes on the other who are super into Sig runes and Tyr runes for ~reasons~ and who not-entirely-coincidentally hold weird opinions about a mythical golden-age when Nordic races ran everything.

Way to not read what I wrote. The majority of asatru in northern Europe are not nazis, nor do they believe in Thule or Hyperborean antics( this is a holdover from actual nazis making things up, and as such are only followed by the nazi "pagans").

..though we do have wiccan fluff bunnies, that one is universal I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

twistedmentat posted:

I like how one of the tabloids has gone complete :tinfoil: and claims that Orlando is just stage 1 in ISIS's "Summer of Blood" and its all being run by Obama, who of course is a secret Muslim and should be removed from office by "any means" necessary. Oh and dozen's off attacks will be happening over the next few weeks.

Man, this reminds me of something ongoing 10 years ago. A friend of a friend ended up committing suicide by bomb on campus and made national news. There were then later videos stating that this was stage 1 of a larger Al Qaeda attack and they were doing investigation to prove this. (Yeah, no, there we never a followup)
The whole talk around the incident was pretty islomaphobic as well...the guy was a Catholic for goodness sake and yet somehow it was twisted into him being an Islamic extremist.

• Locked thread