Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The game runs like poo poo on my ps4 since the last patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Happy Hedonist posted:

The game runs like poo poo on my ps4 since the last patch.

Been running a bit worse on my PC as well.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I was stuck for so long on Titan's Realm because I was clearing all the areas without using powerups and without taking damage. Then I get to this room and it's a dead end so I backtracked the whole level twice over. When you go to pick up that large armor a wall opens up behind it which is the only way to progress.

I'm so glad the game didn't end there. Those last levels had some really great chaotic fights that got me out of my comfort zone.

Pro Tip: The siege mode gauss cannon can kill Barons of Hell in 2 shots (on ultra-violence difficulty.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I want to say there's a visible door behind the armor that opens, it's not like a seamless secret wall, but you still might not have any reason to look too closely in its direction if you didn't need the armor, I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well poo poo, this game runs smooth as loving silk and is a ton of fun.

Playing Doom, it's like being a kid again :allears:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks everyone for turning me into the cool and good kid on the block by suggesting the super shotgun mastery.

Protip: if you want to master that and the plasma stun bomb super fast just replay the first mission a few times and stun bomb all the zombies and super shotgun them. Two birds, one stone kinda dealie.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I picked this up on the Steam Sale. It's a good game.

I don't understand why some people don't like the Super Shotgun, it's my main weapon. It fuckin' stops Hell Knights in their tracks, and liquefies multiple Imps at once. How awesome is that?

My main issue is that I forget to use other weapons. I'll switch between that and the Gauss Cannon 90% of the time, completely forgetting about everything else. If I'm running low on any ammo, I just breakout the chainsaw real quick because I have the Ammo Boost and Vacuum runes equipped.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mogomra posted:

I don't understand why some people don't like the Super Shotgun, it's my main weapon. It fuckin' stops Hell Knights in their tracks, and liquefies multiple Imps at once. How awesome is that?

My main issue is that I forget to use other weapons. I'll switch between that and the Gauss Cannon 90% of the time, completely forgetting about everything else. If I'm running low on any ammo, I just breakout the chainsaw real quick because I have the Ammo Boost and Vacuum runes equipped.

Air mobility rune is the bees knees.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Capsaicin posted:

I stopped playing a few weeks ago and tried to pick it back up. I'm at the Gore Nest fight right after getting the BFG and man, that is hard on Ultra-Violence. :(

This game is built to be replayed, just drop the difficulty. I kicked it down one notch from UV for a long time while i got used to the game. Once its too easy, then bump it back up.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mogomra posted:

I imagine it's simply people not using the DOOM shotguns at a close enough range. They have considerable damage spread at anything but melee range, but once you close their damage potential shoots through the roof.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Air mobility rune is the bees knees.

I wanna give that one a whirl, but I haven't come across an instance where I want more mid air maneuverability yet.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

for everyone having trouble with the shield guys i think you can hit them with the plasma rifle stun and the shield disappears and you can just shoot them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mogomra posted:

I wanna give that one a whirl, but I haven't come across an instance where I want more mid air maneuverability yet.

I dunno, imagine being Legolas with a super shotgun. That sorta thing.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
A Hell Knight somehow became immune to my gauss cannon when trying to headshot him for the precision bolt. I don't know if he was totally invincible but a dozen shots did nothing to him.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Carecat posted:

A Hell Knight somehow became immune to my gauss cannon when trying to headshot him for the precision bolt. I don't know if he was totally invincible but a dozen shots did nothing to him.

That was the universe's way of telling you to go siege mode

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Hell Yeah posted:

for everyone having trouble with the shield guys i think you can hit them with the plasma rifle stun and the shield disappears and you can just shoot them.

I've had pretty decent luck with just jumping the gently caress over them. It takes them like half a second to get the shield between you and them again, so you can do whatever you want. This tactic might not work on higher difficulty levels though. :shrug:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any word on the Vulkan patch? I came home from vacation to see a big patch but that doesn't seem to be it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Seamonster posted:

Any word on the Vulkan patch? I came home from vacation to see a big patch but that doesn't seem to be it.

The recently tweeted they're still working on it with the board vendors and making progress, so no eta but sounds like its getting there.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Once you get the double jump it's a godsend.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Bushmaori posted:

Once you get the double jump it's a godsend.
The double jump alone is pretty good. The only thing I notice that I can't straight up dodge at this point are the pinkies charging from point blank. But I think that's because I keep trying to go over them like a dumbass.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Quick question: If I'm revisiting levels to find secrets, can I find the secret and then quit the level while still saving that progress or do I need to fully complete the level for it to count?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Secrets save the instant you find/collect them.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Secrets save the instant you find them.

Fantastic, thank you. I don't typically bother to find all the secrets/collectibles in a game but Doom is good enough that I just might go the distance.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I launched the game for the first time in a month or so, and it crashes every time. This error window shows up talking about "unverified files" and to turn off Devmode. Apparently it's an error that arises from using the dev console (never did) to keep people from cheating for achievements. Has anyone else had the problem?

Verifying doesn't help anything, but during the download Steam complains about the Download being corrupt. uninstalling and redownloading resulted in the same thing.

edit: I think I "fixed" it? But now I'm getting some error about missing vmtr files.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 6, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mogomra posted:

The double jump alone is pretty good. The only thing I notice that I can't straight up dodge at this point are the pinkies charging from point blank. But I think that's because I keep trying to go over them like a dumbass.

This is me. It hasn't worked yet but maybe I can make it over the charging freight train THIS time..... :smithicide:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plan Z posted:

So I launched the game for the first time in a month or so, and it crashes every time. This error window shows up talking about "unverified files" and to turn off Devmode. Apparently it's an error that arises from using the dev console (never did) to keep people from cheating for achievements. Has anyone else had the problem?

Verifying doesn't help anything, but during the download Steam complains about the Download being corrupt. uninstalling and redownloading resulted in the same thing.

edit: I think I "fixed" it? But now I'm getting some error about missing vmtr files.

try deleting client.blob in your steam root folder

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

My first playthrough of this game was on Medium, and I had a lot of fun.

Now I started my second on Hard (Nightmare is a bit too much for me still) and I thought I would have the same amount of fun, or be kinda like "Eh I already did that"

gently caress that, I am having even more fun now. The encounters suddenly become a lot more tense and rewarding in a way I did not think possible, starting with the Argent Tower.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Got a 1440p G-Sync monitor coming in today and I'm more excited to replay this game on it than anything else. :twisted:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Since the campaign blew away my expectations I was secretly hoping the multiplayer would do the same. Unfortunately very much not so. :smith:

Michaellaneous posted:

Now I started my second on Hard (Nightmare is a bit too much for me still) and I thought I would have the same amount of fun, or be kinda like "Eh I already did that"

gently caress that, I am having even more fun now. The encounters suddenly become a lot more tense and rewarding in a way I did not think possible, starting with the Argent Tower.
I'm really glad I started on ultra-violence because I remember at the start of the first level I was cornering and circlestrafing, trying to individually dodge and engage foes. I died twice doing this, if I was having even limited success with that generic FPS skillset I would have kept trying to make that work. Thankfully it clearly didn't work, I couldn't get past the first area until I learned better.

The whole running laps around an area was totally how doom was. You really have to go back in time and play true vanilla doom to get the experience though. Mouse-aiming is straight-up cheating. I think it was arrow keys forward/back to move forward back, left/right arrow to turn, left control shoot, space is +use, and left alt is the bizarre strafe modifier that you hold so you can strafe with left/right arrows instead of turning. Not very useful since you cannot aim while strafing. So what did you do? Run wide laps at superfast doomguy speeds while shooting enemies as you come around.

What the gently caress is with berserkers in doom4? They are crazy strong. Even with the limitations of keyboard aiming juking berserkers was so easy in doom. Snarl at the air some more ya red ape, I can tap forward/back all day.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Finished the campaign last night.

I gotta be honest, I had zero faith in this game, after loving the original DOOM to death, hating quakes and arena shooters in general (never did get the MP itch), and then just shaking my head at DOOM³ and at the horrible Bethesda trailer for this game.

I'm so glad I was wrong. Got it during the Steam sale for 36 bucks, which by the way is waaay more than I usually pay for games, and I don't regret it for a second. This game is just so much loving fun.

I really loved this little detail when shutting down VEGA: DOOMguy hesitates for a second before deciding to back him up pre-meltdown.
The same guy who spoke with screens using his fists for the first half of the game and sabotaged the whole energy operation just goes "whoa, wait. VEGA is a bro. This poo poo ain't cool."

I really hope we get VEGA as a suit onboard companion a la Cortana for upcoming DLC/an eventual DOOM2

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Michaellaneous posted:

My Nightmare run was intense especially towards the end. I may try to get through on Ultra Nightmare but I'm going to have to put the game down for now.

Sanctum posted:

Since the campaign blew away my expectations I was secretly hoping the multiplayer would do the same. Unfortunately very much not so. :smith:

I'm really glad I started on ultra-violence because I remember at the start of the first level I was cornering and circlestrafing, trying to individually dodge and engage foes. I died twice doing this, if I was having even limited success with that generic FPS skillset I would have kept trying to make that work. Thankfully it clearly didn't work, I couldn't get past the first area until I learned better.

The whole running laps around an area was totally how doom was. You really have to go back in time and play true vanilla doom to get the experience though. Mouse-aiming is straight-up cheating. I think it was arrow keys forward/back to move forward back, left/right arrow to turn, left control shoot, space is +use, and left alt is the bizarre strafe modifier that you hold so you can strafe with left/right arrows instead of turning. Not very useful since you cannot aim while strafing. So what did you do? Run wide laps at superfast doomguy speeds while shooting enemies as you come around.

What the gently caress is with berserkers in doom4? They are crazy strong. Even with the limitations of keyboard aiming juking berserkers was so easy in doom. Snarl at the air some more ya red ape, I can tap forward/back all day.

Mostly because you can't use these extremely Pro Strats in DO4M:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Sanctum posted:

You mean pinky? He can charge forward now pretty fast and is armored in the front. So instead of double barrel to the face while he's walking up to you, you need to bait him into charging, circle around to the side, and then double barrel him in the side or in the rear end.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I don't think I will ever sell this game.
I'll just keep it and pop it in when I want to play some good game with heavy metal.

Rip and tear indeed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does the ultra-nightmare zero death restriction also count for the various rune challenge maps? The ones with 'kill 25 enemies with only weapon X'?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

double nine posted:

Does the ultra-nightmare zero death restriction also count for the various rune challenge maps? The ones with 'kill 25 enemies with only weapon X'?

No don't, turn back now. Madness lies that way.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

double nine posted:

No you get as many retries as you like for rune challenges.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

No you get as many retries as you like for rune challenges.

Oh thank god.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No don't, turn back now. Madness lies that way.

You're not my dad!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm gonna bang your mom and change your name.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
So I'm playing on a Radeon HD 7750 with i7 3770 3.4ghz and 32 GB of RAM. I have all the graphics settings at min and am playing at the lowest resolution. Is the graphics card holding me back, or is it the processor. What would get me the best bang for buck without getting a new system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Graphics card. What you want to get depends on how much you're willing to spend, I wouldn't go anything slower than a Nvidia GTX 970/1060 or an AMD R9 290/390/RX 480 which are about US$200 nowadays. Any of those should give you a solid 60fps at 1080p with most everything on Ultra.