Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I wouldn't worry about isolation too much. Each faction has reasons to run around and fight other factions.

Skaven: THE SURFACE WILL BE OURS!
High Elves: We must rebuild our fallen empire :britain:
Dark Elves: We must rebuild their fallen empire (but it's actually ours)
Lizardmen: The Old Ones's great plans say that reikland needs to become a massive crater? Well, time for a road trip!
Tomb Kings: Make nehekara great again (and kick the poo poo out of the vampires while at it)
Ogre kingdoms: We're running out of things to eat here, let's head west!
Beastmen: Destroy civilization, for chaos!
Chaos Dwarfs: acquire more resources to build our industry (and kill those stupid cousins of ours).
Daemons of Chaos: Destroy the world, for chaos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

I wouldn't worry about isolation too much. Each faction has reasons to run around and fight other factions.

Skaven: THE SURFACE WILL BE OURS!
High Elves: We must rebuild our fallen empire :britain:
Lizardmen: The Old Ones's great plans say that reikland needs to become a massive crater? Well, time for a road trip!
Tomb Kings: Make nehekara great again (and kick the poo poo out of the vampires while at it)
Ogre kingdoms: We're running out of things to eat here, let's head west!
Beastmen: Destroy civilization, for chaos!
Chaos Dwarfs: acquire more resources to build our industry (and kill those stupid cousins of ours).
Daemons of Chaos: Destroy the world, for chaos!

I'm a fan of the idea of randomized, or possibly, additive, endgame scenarios. Nagash is back and raising a fuckton of zombies! Skaven invasion of Lustria P.S. We blew up the moon! etc.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Aurubin posted:

I'm a fan of the idea of randomized, or possibly, additive, endgame scenarios. Nagash is back and raising a fuckton of zombies! Skaven invasion of Lustria P.S. We blew up the moon! etc.

Please, these ideas better happen. This game could be everything we hoped for and more.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the bonus from goblin sawmilz global or just province?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Silver Seal quest, the options of break a drat or pursue the thief, do they make a difference?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I played a campaign with one of my friends that culminated in me shooting his Archaon the Everchosen to death with 90 disgruntled peasant handgunners. I cannot imagine the collective disappointment of the Chaos gods.

Pretty fun campaign though. I owned all of Bretonnia and was making 4k gold a round even with 5 well-equipped lords on the map.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I havnt had the chance to play this pretty much since maybe the first week of release because my old rear end video card just cant handle it even on minimum settings. The RX 480 was my promised land but that promised land sets your motherboards on fire. :smith:

Are slayers good yet?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SunAndSpring posted:

I played a campaign with one of my friends that culminated in me shooting his Archaon the Everchosen to death with 90 disgruntled peasant handgunners. I cannot imagine the collective disappointment of the Chaos gods.

Pretty fun campaign though. I owned all of Bretonnia and was making 4k gold a round even with 5 well-equipped lords on the map.

to be fair Archaon being a disappointment is pretty much canon to the fans of the Old World.

He's no Failbaddon the Armless, but few people are. They both however, are big scary "badass" leaders of the opposite faction GW keeps trying to tell you are cool and the fans just go "Nuh uh."

What technology should I grab next?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 5, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furnaceface posted:

I havnt had the chance to play this pretty much since maybe the first week of release because my old rear end video card just cant handle it even on minimum settings. The RX 480 was my promised land but that promised land sets your motherboards on fire. :smith:

Are slayers good yet?

Sup fellow "gently caress gonna have to send my new video card back" buddy

Plus side I found this game from the graphics card thread in sh/sc so good times

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Onmi posted:

Silver Seal quest, the options of break a drat or pursue the thief, do they make a difference?

Yes, if you don't break the dam the enemy will have reinforcements in the quest battle afterwards.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Furnaceface posted:

Are slayers good yet?

They're a tiny bit cheaper but they still fall to a stiff breeze/liquefy giant monsters.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sup fellow "gently caress gonna have to send my new video card back" buddy

Plus side I found this game from the graphics card thread in sh/sc so good times

That thread in SH/SC actually convinced me to hold off on buying the 480 until they had time to sort their poo poo out. :unsmith:

The down side is that my HD 5770 just cant run the game for any length of time so I cant create a murderball of angry dwarfs until said poo poo gets fixed. :smith:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Furnaceface posted:

Are slayers good yet?

Not really. I mean, they have some uses, but I think they are still overpriced and too hard to get (T4 and 10000 gold building) for how situational they are.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
About the only real use I've found for Slayers now is that them being a 1 turn unit means you can 2 turn them globally, which is a decent deal when you're on the move and fighting Chaos, who are monster heavy and don't have much shooting anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I just got the "an Age of Peace" event and all I can say is... What?! When did I beat Chaos? Was it when I stomped Kholek? I don't recall.

God the Everbitch really IS disappointing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Onmi posted:

I just got the "an Age of Peace" event and all I can say is... What?! When did I beat Chaos? Was it when I stomped Kholek? I don't recall.

I know! It's like, what, this rear end in a top hat on a horse is who everyone's so afraid of? Is it his fancy hat, are your lesser hats quailing before its magnificence? What about the giant dragon man/bird demon, is that a problem? I hosed horse dude over with like 50 crypt horrors and a spirit leech and forgot about him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

wiegieman posted:

I know! It's like, what, this rear end in a top hat on a horse is who everyone's so afraid of? Is it his fancy hat, are your lesser hats quailing before its magnificence? What about the giant dragon man/bird demon, is that a problem? I hosed horse dude over with like 50 crypt horrors and a spirit leech and forgot about him.

I mean that was the fight I needed help with, the Everfailure and his pet bird rocked up, And then I killed both of them, I figured "Eh, they'll be back in the future so I better reclaim the empire and prepare myself."

Then I saw Centaur-Dude running around, thought "Better nip THAT before the rest of them come along to reinforce." since I thought I'd already killed him. Then like a turn or two after "Thanks for killing Chaos" and I have no idea when it happened. Well, All the corruption is leaving, I have three Border-Prince tribes to subjugate and then I have the whole Empire. Then I have to deal with the loving Norse and I guess the Greenskins eventually.

On the other hand, my Light Wizard just got the title of "Despiser of Chaos"

EDIT: Freaking Chaos Rebels, Guess I'm going to go settle Nordland aga-

YOU WIN!

Okay won my first campaign, now for Mods. Any recommended ones?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 5, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Furnaceface posted:

That thread in SH/SC actually convinced me to hold off on buying the 480 until they had time to sort their poo poo out. :unsmith:

The down side is that my HD 5770 just cant run the game for any length of time so I cant create a murderball of angry dwarfs until said poo poo gets fixed. :smith:

If it's a matter of cooling, do you have a box fan and a willingness to give up on subtlety entirely?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Onmi posted:

The wet fart of Chaos.

Last game I managed to wipe the floor with Sarthorel and Kholek at the games of Waldenhof and then Archaon came down like "WUT UP NERDS" and I tag teamed him and dropped his rear end without much of a fight at all. Apparently Sigvald ate it somewhere up north because as soon as that fight was over, Chaos was gone. The entire thing lasted maybe 15 turns. Chaos AI is weird.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gonkish posted:

The wet fart of Chaos.

Last game I managed to wipe the floor with Sarthorel and Kholek at the games of Waldenhof and then Archaon came down like "WUT UP NERDS" and I tag teamed him and dropped his rear end without much of a fight at all. Apparently Sigvald ate it somewhere up north because as soon as that fight was over, Chaos was gone. The entire thing lasted maybe 15 turns. Chaos AI is weird.

I mean they lasted, The East was a never ending hellscape of settlements being burned to the ground. But I just didn't know what I had to do. I wouldn't have Auto-resolved that last fight if I knew.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
There really needs to be short end cinematics for the factions + smoking chaos

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Is the bonus from goblin sawmilz global or just province?

Just province.

immortal flow posted:

Thanks for the advice! Expand south fast as possible, bring more cavalry to dwarf matches seems to be the idea then. Time for round 3.

I went the complete opposite on my Orc campaigns and moved north to smash the (blue) Dwarfs immediately. Thorgrim and the Slayer King are loving bastards and will singlehandedly gently caress up your armies so I wanted them dead and gone asap. Plus taking Karaz a Karak and turning it into a greenskin fortress pumping out gemstones to finance more boys is always fun. Hell that entire province makes a nice buffer to pump out cash and protect your northern flanks from the other dwarfs further north, they have to take the same two routes to get to you if you hold the province and it's laughably easy to defend and intercept inbound stunties.

Basically my strategy was taking all of Death Pass so you can start building speciality building chains to lower costs on black orcs and big uns, who will be your mainstay for a while. While you're building up, start a second army to protect your iron mine from dwarfs and the Red Fangs. Mop up the lumberyard in the north with Grimgor/Azhag then move him into the Silver Road and take out the Dwarf capital immediately, then take out the Bloody Spears who remain in the province. That should give you some breathing room from arsehole high kings/slayer kings and extra dosh for big uns and cavalry, and from there you can have fun declaring on the rest of the Badlands or going and sacking the Eastern Border Princes for ~25k gold at the province capital.

Or ignore all this and try something else and see how it works, have fun bash dwarfs :orks101:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay I just paused and looked at the Long Campaign victory, it is exactly the loving same as the short campaign victory, Except, you must also wipe out the Vampire Counts. Which you'll likely do anyway as it's the quickest way to claim the Sylvania's.

I thought it would be like "Wipe out the Norse clans" or "Wipe out the Greenskins"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

In my VC game I destroyed Chaos in exactly 2 (although admittedly pretty epic) battles.
Why can't I enable DX 12? Nvidia says that 980 GTX is DX 12.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Onmi posted:

Okay I just paused and looked at the Long Campaign victory, it is exactly the loving same as the short campaign victory, Except, you must also wipe out the Vampire Counts. Which you'll likely do anyway as it's the quickest way to claim the Sylvania's.

I thought it would be like "Wipe out the Norse clans" or "Wipe out the Greenskins"

The worst long campaign victory is probably for the VCs: you have to knock out the Dwarves. It boils down to pure luck: do the Dwarfs confederate? Do the Orcs actually fight them rather than loving with the Border Princes/Tilea/literally everyone but them? You can't know, and gently caress knows that launching an invasion of the mountains as VCs is hellish (hello there, constant attrition and slow as gently caress marching), to say nothing of fighting their loving armies. Pretty much just have to try to gently caress about in Diplomacy, hoping to cause a rift between the various holds and/or funding the greenskins so that they can skullfuck Thorgrim before he eats every mountain on the map.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Uuuuugh autoresolve stop killing my vargheists and dogs and wraiths. I don't want to fight these battles. Stop it, stop being dumb.

I think I like Kemmler's start more than Mannfred's. He's not as powerful but the wraiths are fun and pretty good now. He didn't give a speech in Hel Fenn though :cry:

Looting then occupying: Is there a reason not to do it? It can damage buildings but every time I've done it so far it doesn't seem like the settlement is actually worse off than if I'd just occupied and I really like money. And why won't Schwartzhofen trade with me? They're my vassals, have over 100 relations but the trade agreement's acceptance has been low the entire time.

There is a savage orc horde hanging out near averheim just taking attrition. What does it want? We may never know.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 5, 2016

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Gitro posted:

Uuuuugh autoresolve stop killing my vargheists and dogs and wraiths. I don't want to fight these battles. Stop it, stop being dumb.

I downloaded the better autoresolve mod and it made the game Perfect.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Humans have been shameful during my vampire campaign. I don't think there's been one good fight with them! The empire never got very big and because of the AI's weird hardon for taking settlements they didn't bother breaking my siege of nuln and instead wandered in to my territory to take some attrition losses. The AI really doesn't understand attrition and will happily waddle through my regions for 5 turns trying to get somewhere while their armies melt to nothing.

Now the Vargs and chaos are just burning through what's left of them. I did try to wander through some human territory to kill some chaos but the chaos hordes won't actually fight me and just run away...

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 5, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Thanqol posted:

I downloaded the better autoresolve mod and it made the game Perfect.

This is with it on.

Also Stirland are little weiners. The moment I take the Moot they run off and confederate with the empire.

hemale in pain posted:

Humans have been shameful during my vampire campaign. I don't think there's been one good fight with them! The empire never got very big and because of the AI's weird hardon for taking settlements they didn't bother breaking my siege of nuln and instead wandered in to my territory to take some attrition losses. The AI really doesn't understand attrition and will happily waddle through my regions for 5 turns trying to get somewhere while their armies melt to nothing.

The AI does strange things with attrition. Zhufbar sent a mini stack to just stand near Drakenhof for a turn at the start of the game, then left. Averheim walks right up to a mountain pass and stands technically in my borders, taking an attrition hit. Savage orcs just laze about eating poo poo for no reason. AI orc stacks often don't crack 'eads to deal with low fightyness, either.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oh yea, there's always a dwarf army just sitting there in my borders for no reason.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Oh yea, there's always a dwarf army just sitting there in my borders for no reason.

They forgot where they were going and are too stubborn to leave.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

You forgot this: :911:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I like the suggestion earlier that the Slaan will just move the Old World to Lustria to make it easier to invade. When you install the DLC a bunch of new regions appear around the edge of the map, even in ongoing campaigns.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I mean the orcs just stroll on through half the time as well, they're probably just keeping lookout.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just got a 101 turn long victory as vampire counts as a heinrich start, some thoughts.

• Blood knights are crazy good at beating every other cavalry and also every monster you send them at, only had 5 tops but they did well against chaos.
  • Rushing for moneymancers and growing capitals to T4/T5 so you can get the vampire and necro buildings is a necessity, they aren't the worst to save up for with construction discounts and with all the multipliers at work the income they generate can support a stack or two.
  • Vamps have crazy good heroes and the lords get a skill that let's them recruit a extra vampire, get swarms of heroes and leave the banshee buildings up at places you conquer.
  • You can turtle in Slyvania with a vassal or two for as long as you want really and just explode out whenever you have a elite main army ready to go, which doesn't take long with the low requirements to start producing graveguards and vargheist, I wiped out the empire by turn 50 and had altdorf, but you could really just sit in slyvania until turn 100 or pick a different direction to go.
  • Extra vamp lords with swarms of zombies and skeletons with maybe one or two strong troops mixed in make for great reinforcement and rebel quelling armies.
  • The book of blood is by far the strongest portion of the tech tree, I'd love to pick up some of the skeleton and zombie buffs or 10% campaign movement in tireless hordes, but everything just takes too long to research and is split up into too many small bonuses, the book of blood improves your economy and heroes and really that is all you need.
  • Love the current patches auto resolve improvements so your monsters won't go to 1 HP fighting a militia, spreads out the damage now.
  • Keep a eye out for the skeletal hand marker on provinces showing a better raise dead pool, those were the majority of my recruiting and always nice to pick up a terrorgheist or a bunch of graveguards, or even just 20 zombies and skeletons for a backup lord.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't been able to pick up much in the way of multipliers. Just the +15% on necromancers / banshees.
(Not like my Empire game where my captains all got Burgomaster and hung out in Reikland massively buffing that province_

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gonkish posted:

The worst long campaign victory is probably for the VCs: you have to knock out the Dwarves. It boils down to pure luck: do the Dwarfs confederate? Do the Orcs actually fight them rather than loving with the Border Princes/Tilea/literally everyone but them? You can't know, and gently caress knows that launching an invasion of the mountains as VCs is hellish (hello there, constant attrition and slow as gently caress marching), to say nothing of fighting their loving armies. Pretty much just have to try to gently caress about in Diplomacy, hoping to cause a rift between the various holds and/or funding the greenskins so that they can skullfuck Thorgrim before he eats every mountain on the map.

I've had Dwarves take Greenskins and confederate everything except those weirdos near Bretonia. I've had the rest of the map painted before going after them and even with 8 high level armies it was still a terrible slog. It took something like 70 turns even when they didn't move their armies to engage until I was halfway through their cities. I fought less than 10 field/underway battles total.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't been able to pick up much in the way of multipliers. Just the +15% on necromancers / banshees.
(Not like my Empire game where my captains all got Burgomaster and hung out in Reikland massively buffing that province_

I think the capital building improves the income from buildings in the province and in adjacent provinces by up to 50% or around there, so those multipliers can add up on 500-1000 per turn buildings.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
The thunk when a cannonball strikes a Pegasus mid air is incredibly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

4th Horseman posted:

The thunk when a cannonball strikes a Pegasus mid air is incredibly satisfying.

Otherwise known as "a dwarven delight."

• Locked thread