Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's fun to watch these replays of people getting super mad about towers, knowing full well that I was one of those people. I went up against one of those tower strategies like the only time I tried the ladder and got so mad that I stuck with customs only for the years I played afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'd be down to rip open an old copy of Skibi TD and have people yell at me for poor mazing :shobon:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lovely Senorita posted:

I'd be down to rip open an old copy of Skibi TD and have people yell at me for poor mazing :shobon:

Me too!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Does Skibi still take 5 minutes to load?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Anyone remember a really old (pre-tft) custom map called something like "angel arena". It was basically just team deathmatch with a farming aspect, and you could go back to base to buy tomes to level up your stats.

It was basically a precursor to dota but an arena and only jungling. I think I spent 100 hours playing that stupid map.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Primetime posted:

Anyone remember a really old (pre-tft) custom map called something like "angel arena". It was basically just team deathmatch with a farming aspect, and you could go back to base to buy tomes to level up your stats.

It was basically a precursor to dota but an arena and only jungling. I think I spent 100 hours playing that stupid map.

Angel Arena was one of those types, and there were plenty of them. Back when no one gave a poo poo about balance. Intelligence heroes were useless as gently caress, Strength barely better and Agility nigh-unstoppable death gods. Then the weird-rear end broken-poo poo that was Sylvanas.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

X Hero Siege supremacy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

McTimmy posted:

Angel Arena was one of those types, and there were plenty of them. Back when no one gave a poo poo about balance. Intelligence heroes were useless as gently caress, Strength barely better and Agility nigh-unstoppable death gods. Then the weird-rear end broken-poo poo that was Sylvanas.

Yeah, the reason for that is your primary stat adds a point of damage, so int scales mana, which has diminishing returns after you have enough mana to infinitely cast your spells (and could be detrimental against mana burn). Strength increases HP which is better and nice,, but doesn't mean much if you can't dish it out. Agility increases attack speed, so you basically end up stacking both damage and you attack every millisecond so your DPS becomes embarrassing, to the point that it even breaks heroes that stacked strength.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jsor posted:

Yeah, the reason for that is your primary stat adds a point of damage, so int scales mana, which has diminishing returns after you have enough mana to infinitely cast your spells (and could be detrimental against mana burn). Strength increases HP which is better and nice,, but doesn't mean much if you can't dish it out. Agility increases attack speed, so you basically end up stacking both damage and you attack every millisecond so your DPS becomes embarrassing, to the point that it even breaks heroes that stacked strength.

Agility also adds to your defense. So you'll be reaching 99% damage reduction well enough.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

christ this thread sucks

how many times can we post "anybody remember this lovely custom game i played a few times back in 2006"

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

time for a joke posted:

christ this thread sucks

how many times can we post "anybody remember this lovely custom game i played a few times back in 2006"

There were so many good ones, we still have a ways to go.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

time for a joke posted:

christ this thread sucks

It's a 14 year old game where a lot of nostalgia is tied to dumb broken custom maps. I don't know what you want - were not getting patch notes anytime soon.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

Primetime posted:

It's a 14 year old game where a lot of nostalgia is tied to dumb broken custom maps. I don't know what you want - were not getting patch notes anytime soon.

1v1?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

uniball posted:

Those classic tower guys that everyone loves to click and view continue to play some good-rear end 3s games on Europe, with today's newest being a short Monsoon with a twist. We have some early wins and turn back their first push, but it quickly becomes apparent that our antisiege efforts are unsustainable. What do you do when you have 30k in the bank and a rapidly dwindling supply of towers? Here's the vod and here's the reep.

We continue to rewatch/cast classic replays when we can't find 3s games. Here's one of the Golden Games: Triple UD Rice Fields. It's a classic...I can't believe it turned out how it did (original replay).

Speaking of Golden Games that I also can't believe the results of: The Alamo, a Dual Split Double Reverse Gilderbase (DSDRG) that doesn't quite finish the job (original replay).

Is anyone else playing this game? I mean, of course, the game of Ladder Warcraft 3 [Wig], not Don't Touch My Naruto or whatever. Anyway if you are we'd love to know...maybe we could form a clan on Northrend or something.

e: oops thanks

I'd love to see more of the classic replay casts, they're really entertaining.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The more highperch and classic replays the better. drat they're good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have fond memories of watching replays posted in the Warcraft 3 thread back in the day, and I'm glad that's still happening!

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Unfortunately all we have right now are fresh games, but maybe we'll cast some more classics sometime. Anyway:

Today's appetizer was a straightforward highperch [replay]. Nothing too exciting, but there were a couple good chats.

(33:38 / All) huge_pig: noob?
(33:52 / All) aT_om: who u if yopu lost vs noob?

With a perch in our bloodstreams, we searched 4s for a fruitless/nostalgic/wistful hour before going back to 3s. We then played a delightful series against clan Kow3, who started out friendly but quickly became less than enthused with our tactics. To clarify, by "series" I mean "we own them over and over by making new smurfs after every game and re-searching"

Game one on Silverpine was quite exciting [replay]. After an incredibly long and well-mannered pizza pause while Mata finishes his game of Overwatch, we get started. What could possibly happen in-game that would cause the same people who let us pause for 2 minutes end up with manner like this...

(32:50 / All) teh_klaus: learn how to play and don' waste others time with such a loving way of playing

Game two on Dragonblight serves as a nice intermission [replay]. They find (they think) a weak point at the small choke and go all-in. How does it turn out? Here's a hint:

(02:54 / All) teh_klaus: loving morons

Game three on Monsoon finishes up the series [replay]. They display some sort of adaptability but let us just say they do not have "the special something"

edit: as a weird little dessert, check out the chatlogs in these two solo ladder games - this one from last Thursday, and this one from December 2012.

uniball fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 5, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

excellent, time to start watching

So did you ever consider using cannon towers while you were working out the strategy? Are they bad, or are they just too expensive?

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Cannon towers are bad, the only advantage siege damage has vs piercing is more damage against tanks. But they also have fortified armor that takes extra damage from tanks, so you'd have to theorycraft them behind guard/watch towers with heavy armor. Already you can tell it's never going to be practical compared to making an extra layer of normal towers that are useful against everything. Tanks have to stand still a long time to kill lvl 3 masonry, enough to kill them with AoE. If they're serious about tanking you browbeat the single hero noobs on your team to get pandas.

With ReplayKit you can watch 21 fully upgraded tanks run into a classic triple AoE team at the 43 minute mark.

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 5, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So the high amount of damage and splash isn't enough to make up for that?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

So the high amount of damage and splash isn't enough to make up for that?

They are weaker against siege, heroes (since they are rarely standing still), and air. These 3 things are usually what kills towers.

Individually cannon towers are stronger against steam tanks and they are good if the enemy just tries to brute force their way through using ground armies. But those 2 things rarely kill towers...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

grubby needs to stop streaming heroes of the storm and only stream wc3 because hots is hot garbage.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

We tried to get a game together this afternoon. With no luck finding a suitable third, timg heroically offered to wood us from a laptop (replete with trackpad) over a cell tether. He didn't stay in the game for long, but that was fine as our opponents needed all the help they could get. If you like to watch the tower guys utterly embarrassing some eurotrash here are some clicks for you:

Click on this computer to watch the game from BEAR_AND (Orc)'s perspective:

Click on this computer to watch the game from iggy_the_fisk (Human)'s perspective:

Click on this computer to watch both perspectives at once (mute one of them):

and click on this computer for the replay:

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

uniball posted:

We tried to get a game together this afternoon. With no luck finding a suitable third, timg heroically offered to wood us from a laptop (replete with trackpad) over a cell tether. He didn't stay in the game for long, but that was fine as our opponents needed all the help they could get. If you like to watch the tower guys utterly embarrassing some eurotrash here are some clicks for you:

Those VODs contain some massive ownage in the first few minutes as the Orc and Human players TP themselves stuck inside their Orc base and lose everything and a half to three harassing heroes. But what they don't show is that the greatest ownages are the ones we lay on ourselves. Check out this nailed-down-tight opener from Undead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykZ3c01z4I

Right off the bat we have two ziggurats before altar, except the altar is a second crypt instead of an altar. Whoops cancel the crypt at 50% and make the altar, (the first crypt is idle this entire time at 7/30 food), whoops the DK is stuck behind the useless ziggurat. Unsummon the ziggurat, WHOOPS he forgets about unsummon and kills the ziggurat instead, then TPs to save his friend. WHOOOPS the DK teleports himself stuck yet again and has to kill another food building to escape. Whoopsie daisy oh no, he doesn't finish the job and BEAR_AND easily claims last hit and the experience for killing the burrow.

Cherish these moments, in the end they're all we will have left.

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 11, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So in one of those Kow videos you guys call the firelord a trash hero. This is interesting to me, because I was always a fan of being able to solo creep pretty well with just a firelord due to the summons, then rush my disposable army into some units after getting 6-8 living lava spawns.

What do you guys consider the trash heroes? Why are they trash?

Edit: To out myself, i only ever played very casually, usually 2v2s with my older brother as my teammate. I never laddered heavily or really looked into optimal strategies, so thus why I ask.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 13, 2016

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Well for firelord specifically, what made him a trash hero in that game was that he's an awful antitower hero, and they knew that they'd be playing against towers - both from within that game (he was both elves' second hero choice) and because that was their third game in a row versus us. They were definitely loving around at least a little in that game, but the FL pickers had some obvious really good anti-tower heroes available to choose from, like kotg or panda.

FL's not the best hero in general, but he's especially terrible vs. towers: Lava spawns don't split from hitting towers, soul burn is only a mediocre interrupt/silence/dot, and incinerate is as far as I know a very bad orb effect if only used against heroes (I'm not sure I've ever picked it in a ladder game). Volcano is the worst spell on the Death and Decay spectrum (behind Earthquake), and good luck getting a second hero to 6 with play like theirs.

As for which heroes I'd also consider trash, that really depends on the situation...towering? Anti-tower? Seriouscraft? I can think of a non-gimmick application for every hero except for Firelord, Pit Lord, Far Seer, and Dreadlord. I don't think those guys have been part of any meta, towering or serious, for a long time, except possibly Pit Lord being picked third by some UD players, maybe. Why are they trash? Opportunity cost - they all have "useful" skills, but other available choices are so much better that you're really choosing to handicap yourself if you pick them.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

i dunno.
firelord is generally bad because he scales badly with levels - his only good skill is lavaspawns (which are great ofc), but they lose a lot of utility once opponent has dispell. so he's basically only used for early tower pushes, mostly as second hero for humans tower-pushing straightaway after teching. though i guess beastmaster is much more popular for that now, since he fills the same role and he's better late game

all heroes are used, but some are extremely niche. outside firelord, pitlord and alchemist are probably the least used for good reason. pitlord is used for undead against orc (howl reduces damage a ton, rain of fire is decent agains webbed wyverns) and sometimes against mass tower/repairing humans, in both cases as third hero. only "real" use for alchemist is as third hero for orc against human in air vs air I think. and sometimes as a curveball-strat first hero for elves i guess. Otherwise both of these dudes are just fat and kinda useless

^ as that guy says, dreadlord is also real bad, but he's used "a lot" as third hero in undead mirror when both go gargoyles. and in free-for-all, since his ultimate is so fantastic. Far seer is actually a pretty decent hero, but why would you choose him when you can choose the best hero in the game instead? Is still used against undead and human now and then though, especially if there's not a thousand small lovely camps dropping circlets and claws on the map

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I am no pro wc3 player and know nothing about the competitive scene, but Far Seer always struck me as the most dubious choice. He's not a bad hero but when you've got Blademaster, TC, and WD to choose from, he doesn't have much of a chance to shine.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I know jack poo poo about competitive WC3 either but Farseers seems only really used for early-game wolves harass. Even then I've only seen it against UD, and not nearly as often as just going solid with Blademaster.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
There was a period early on when Farseer was the go-to hero for orc, then they nerfed wolves so that they gave tons of xp. You couldnt use them to harass anymore since the other person would throw out nukes and go for surrounds and stuff. Then they changed blademaster so he could run through units while invisible and orc players never had to think about what hero to get first ever again.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

time for a joke posted:

christ this thread sucks

please don't melt in this thread

it's gross and i have to step on it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

someone shoulda made genesis of empires a standalone game.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lovely Senorita posted:

please don't melt in this thread

it's gross and i have to step on it

Hey guys do you remember defi4nc3 rpg for notable game Warcraft III, a game.notable for lacking any sort of competitive gaming and being entirely a platform for custom creations???

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

it's a shame people in this thread want to attack the only people who actually CONTRIBUTE(!!!) to it! smdh!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Those huge "open world" RPG custom maps where it claimed it could save your character with a really long password were bullshit and never worked.

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
I remember a cg called don't push the red button. There was a platform with the red button in the middle and a timer counting down from a couple minutes. If a hero went on the red button everybody's computer's crashed

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Node posted:

Those huge "open world" RPG custom maps where it claimed it could save your character with a really long password were bullshit and never worked.

Er, uh, yes they did? That's why they were so popular.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They usually worked just fine, yeah. Their downside was that human error is inevitable, especially when you're copying out a gigantic 25-character password.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Please stop lying in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I disliked open RPG maps that had some form of persistance because inevitably some guy would come in with level 99 max stats perfect inventory and ruin all the fun. I much preferred the ones where everyone started at level 1 and you were thrown out into the world to make of it what you will.